Author Topic: WizKidz return?  (Read 16744 times)

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
WizKidz return?
« on: 30 May 2011, 09:33:29 »
Is this true? I read in another forum abou this, but right now Im working and the proxys blocked the link :S
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

EdgeCrusher

• Private
Re: WizKidz return?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2011, 09:49:27 »
Yep. They don't have the rights for mechwarrior line though. Last I looked it was heroclix and lotr clix    #P

darkminstrel

• Sergeant
  • Head Executor at Shaitan's Fist, Local 38
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2011, 10:23:42 »
And now D&D minis.

darkminstrel

• Sergeant

EdgeCrusher

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2011, 17:44:40 »
Looks like they brought back mage knight too
And a new startrek miniature game too. Starship based :)

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2011, 21:15:20 »
I would be very happy if they relaunch the game Pirates!, I loved the little ships :)

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2011, 22:04:45 »
This begs the question, would they possibly try to do Mechwarrior again once the timelines merge and things start trucking along again in the mid-3100's?

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2011, 22:17:00 »
Depends on whether they'd be willing to shell out for the license and whether or not Topps wanted to pursue such again.

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2011, 00:36:54 »
so wait, TOPPS still holds the license to mechwarrior???   but not the others? [tickedoff] [metalhealth] [soapbox] [##] [madflame]   I dont know which emoticon is most fitting
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2011, 01:01:22 »
Considering that the Topps deal with NECA/WK intentionally left MechWarrior off the table, it is almost impossible that ClickyTech will ever reappear. Why on Earth would Topps want to license it out to the exact same company that drove the IP into the ground in the first place?

And they couldn't recreate MW with another company, because the clicky dial rights are back in NECA/WK's hands.

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2011, 18:43:02 »
The IP for Shadowrun was also left off the table with the IP rights to CBT/MW.
Getting the checks from CGL was enough for Topps to keep those.

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2011, 19:23:02 »
Well, that lets me think that..... MAY BE, they could use the rules they develop for MW to another mech oriented game. Personally, a Front Mission game, shouldn't be a bad idea.

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2011, 18:58:01 »
..or Macross.  I could see the differant size bases really working with Southern Cross theme.

If Star Trek clix ever sees the light of day, maybe a big stompy robot game in clix format would return.  But me?  I wouldn't get into it.  I like the 'feel' of Battletech. 

darkminstrel

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2011, 07:30:37 »
..or Macross.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes, yes, etc ad infinitum.

greenflea

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
  • catalyst demo team agent #340
    • wanna know where to play?
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2011, 11:15:53 »
Considering that the Topps deal with NECA/WK intentionally left MechWarrior off the table, it is almost impossible that ClickyTech will ever reappear. Why on Earth would Topps want to license it out to the exact same company that drove the IP into the ground in the first place?

And they couldn't recreate MW with another company, because the clicky dial rights are back in NECA/WK's hands.

WK is not the one to blame for the demise of mechwarrior clicky game...
fomer Wizkids Battlemaster
current Catalyst agent #340

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2011, 13:57:47 »

I'm not saying i agree or disagree....  but,  I'd LOVE to hear your opinion!

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 30 June 2011, 14:41:58 »

With all due respect, yes it is.

You'll have to elaborate for me to even consider otherwise.

greenflea

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
  • catalyst demo team agent #340
    • wanna know where to play?
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2011, 16:16:10 »
 i wiil just leave it at that.
it is my opinion and if we ever meet in person i'll gladly let you know my whole thing.

i still enjoy the game and wish it would make a return but that may never happen.. :'(
fomer Wizkids Battlemaster
current Catalyst agent #340

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2011, 18:33:40 »
The joke (and I heard this with MANY different poeple) was that MW was the game that WK couldn't kill.

Boy did they try to kill it.

I too enjoy the game (why else to I still hunt down custom figures for it??) and since you agree to just leave it, I will end my opinion there as well.  If we ever meet well get food and drink and exchange notes on the game and hat went wrong and what didn't.

Khan Jade Wolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Ut faciem venti bellum
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2011, 18:38:53 »
I hope Unpianted mini's stay around I enjoy painting them and creating a look that is mine!
« Last Edit: 04 July 2011, 10:49:31 by Khan Jade Wolf »
Semper paratus !
Praesto Novastar defendere!

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 01 July 2011, 20:03:45 »
..or Macross.  I could see the differant size bases really working with Southern Cross theme.

Never thought I would agree with something like this - but you're right.  Southern Cross would be awesome.

"Synchro Cannon?  Is that a weapon?"
ilClan Wolf - it's about damn time . . .

"Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics." - Worktroll

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #21 on: 02 July 2011, 14:14:20 »

"Synchro Cannon?  Is that a weapon?"

It's a "state of the art" Flocking Gun.  Only Bunny mechs are authorised to use it.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 02 July 2011, 15:29:29 »
...causing all targets successfully hit to engage in synchronized dancing.

ChrisSymons1981

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 02 July 2011, 20:21:48 »
...causing all targets successfully hit to engage in synchronized dancing.

All successfully hit targets also take a click of heat, including any other heat generated.
You Say Fiery Crash? I Say Dynamic Entry.

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2011, 09:43:20 »
Sounds like something Miss Kelly would do.  8)

darkminstrel

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2011, 12:57:45 »
It's a "state of the art" Flocking Gun.  Only Bunny mechs are authorised to use it.

GC

When only RabbitTechnology can save you.

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #26 on: 04 July 2011, 14:38:14 »
I think mechwarrior would be cool if it were reinvented with a different focus on battles that didnt involve mechs.  Say large armies of infantry and armor with one or two mechs in support roles.

We have CBT for mech battles.

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 04 July 2011, 14:53:46 »
Some of us have Battle/Clan Troops for that.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 04 July 2011, 15:46:10 »
I think mechwarrior would be cool if it were reinvented with a different focus on battles that didnt involve mechs.  Say large armies of infantry and armor with one or two mechs in support roles.

We have CBT for mech battles.

Just play with the original Dark Age rules. 'Mechless armies dominated under that ruleset.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 04 July 2011, 16:15:39 »
Just play with the original Dark Age rules. 'Mechless armies dominated under that ruleset.

Not entirely true, what dominated the game was the OBM (One Big Monster) army that could take advantage of Base-and-Break Rules.  Basicly, "Tent-Pole" armies surrounded by a "wall of flesh".

It didn't even have to be a First Strike Army, and one good hit might be all you needed.

This was why AoD included Called Shot and Friendly Fire rules.

GC

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #30 on: 04 July 2011, 16:47:37 »
Under original Dark Age rules (300 point games), if you took a big 'Mech, that's pretty much all you took.

'Mechless armies dominated. This point was driven home by the army compositions at the World Championships, where something like 5 of the top 8 players had 'Mechless builds, and the few that had 'Mechs only had one and it was basically a chargemonkey.

darkminstrel

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 04 July 2011, 19:53:03 »
Not entirely true, what dominated the game was the OBM (One Big Monster) army that could take advantage of Base-and-Break Rules.  Basicly, "Tent-Pole" armies surrounded by a "wall of flesh".

It didn't even have to be a First Strike Army, and one good hit might be all you needed.

This was why AoD included Called Shot and Friendly Fire rules.

GC
I was a victim of that tactic during my first tourney experience, from both of my opponents. The sheer cheese of it caused me to not go to another one for a full year.

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #32 on: 05 July 2011, 07:15:37 »
Hmm i guess I wasn't into it long enough to figure that.  Be cooler in a 28mm scale though ^_^. 

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 05 July 2011, 12:20:17 »
Under original Dark Age rules (300 point games), if you took a big 'Mech, that's pretty much all you took.

'Mechless armies dominated. This point was driven home by the army compositions at the World Championships, where something like 5 of the top 8 players had 'Mechless builds, and the few that had 'Mechs only had one and it was basically a chargemonkey.

Even in a 300 point army there was plenty of leeway to keep the armies balanced.  In theory, a big 300 point mech was supposed to be equal in combat value to a swarm of infantry and a formation of tanks that cost as much as that mech.  In reality, having the flexibility of using multiple orders on a variety of units every turn gave the "mechless" army a significant advantage over a single unit that can use only one order and must rest frequently. 

That was the lesson of the metagame the top players were showing us.  The winning armies chose units that could perform more than one type of action.  To gain several extra orders by rolling dice every turn is not wasteful when they are used on two transports dropping a tank and three infantry in a range attack formation, and you still need to be able to push something in to base contact so the Target has difficulty shooting back at that formation.  And there are always supporting units that need to be occupied with saving their own butts.

So, yes, a swarm of VTOLs and tank drops that can out run and out range the mechs and tanks they shoot at, does look pretty powerful as a mechless army.  But, it still required good tactical play from those top players to make it work.  I'm sure none of them had an easy time of it, after all, they were all that good.

That's one of the things that made the Game fun.  Developing and discussing new skills and strategies that improve on or help to destroy what we all know as to be "Tried and True".  Does the Pog Warrior always brag about winning every time?  Only if he's never played against an army that can be in his deployment zone faster than he can shoot at it.   

GC

JWard

• Sergeant
  • I bid my Clan's Fiat against your Galaxy Ha I win!
« Reply #34 on: 18 August 2011, 10:24:05 »
I just can't wait for the pieces to remade so i sell off all my mech clix can make room for more IWM mechs

Star Col. Josh Ward 2nd Wolf Rangers (Wolf Clan Watch)

InSilence

• Corporal
  • Official PBI punter.
« Reply #35 on: 18 August 2011, 12:04:22 »
This thread keeps getting pulled up, and I think "OMIGOSH IS IT COMING BACK!?!" But then I read the comments and get depressed again.
Why did I have to get into the game right as the company died? Why?

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 18 August 2011, 16:57:12 »
Masochism?

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: 18 August 2011, 17:30:48 »
Well, it's cheaper to get into now anyhow.  ;D

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #38 on: 18 August 2011, 18:27:52 »
Cheaper if youre in the US, maybe. For example, I could order 40 BA/infantry bases from a Troll and Toad that will not be named, and pay $20 for the figs (great!) and $90+ for the shipping (not so great!). Similar US shipping cost is about $6 ...

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: 18 August 2011, 18:33:09 »
You just have to collect in the random spirit in which they were first collected....by buying other people's collections. ;)

Seriously. I just saw a lot of 300 BA for $40 about 2 months ago, with $10 US and $25 International shipping.  Picking and choosing is the expensive way for sure.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 18 August 2011, 19:27:35 »
I actually did do that; got a great deal on about three gallons of infantry & BA stands. I have enough Gnomes, Cavaliers, Hauberks and Clan BA that I've even taking to kitbash them; I could do a regiment of infantry well enough with field guns & bike/trike platoons supporting them. But (for example) I didn't get any Centaurs, I didn't get enough Longinus to suit me (love me them Longies!), and there's a few others I'm short of.

Ah well ... there's always a way, if I spend the time finding it.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 18 August 2011, 20:46:45 »
Cheaper if youre in the US, maybe. For example, I could order 40 BA/infantry bases from a Troll and Toad that will not be named, and pay $20 for the figs (great!) and $90+ for the shipping (not so great!). Similar US shipping cost is about $6 ...

W.
When that happens you have to pay shipping twice.  Once for shipping States side to someone you know.  And then shipping from there to OZ.  Would still be cheaper than Frog & Kobolds International shipping rates.

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 21 August 2011, 18:18:31 »
Frog & Kobolds

Hilarious!!!    ;D :D

JWard

• Sergeant
  • I bid my Clan's Fiat against your Galaxy Ha I win!
« Reply #43 on: 12 September 2011, 17:50:35 »
I find the Infantry very much in use still i converted a bunch to BattleTech

Star Col. Josh Ward 2nd Wolf Rangers (Wolf Clan Watch)

LordKnightFandragon

• Sergeant
  • Knights Republic, Forward for the Guard!!
« Reply #44 on: 16 November 2011, 14:25:45 »
so wait, TOPPS still holds the license to mechwarrior???   but not the others? [tickedoff] [metalhealth] [soapbox] [##] [madflame]   I dont know which emoticon is most fitting

wait TOPPS has Mechwarrior?  I thought it was Harmony Gold, those stupid Cappellan Scum are who kept the New Mechwarrior PC game from being made.....

Either way, a Relaunch of Mechwarrior would make my friggin YEAR!!!!  I FINALLY got my custom army painted, dials made and pilots made and during the time the game was going I was in the planning/balancing stage and never did playthem against anyone.....Would be amusing to see how they play out against other people.  Not to mention Mechwarrior is by far my Favorite Game and I had tons of fun with it, though I never was especially good at it.
Republic Lord Legionnaire Fandragon Crimsonspirit
Knights Republic of Lerlide
-Nothing will prevent us,  the Legionnaires of the Knights Republic from achieving the Ultimate Victory!

krazzyharry

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 09 December 2011, 16:01:33 »
Harmony Gold holds the rights to the Unseen...

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 12 December 2011, 18:44:07 »
They hardly could relaunch the mechwarrior line, but I could buy some front mission themed game :)

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #47 on: 12 January 2012, 11:01:13 »
I dont know which emoticon is most fitting

All the above.
Junction City, Kansas (noun) a parasitic town that leeches off the sore underbelly of a local military base.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #48 on: 12 January 2012, 12:20:55 »
They hardly could relaunch the mechwarrior line, but I could buy some front mission themed game :)

+1 . Love that game!
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Legendmaker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
    • Battletech & More Channel
« Reply #49 on: 04 March 2012, 13:04:30 »
Well, it's cheaper to get into now anyhow.  ;D

Very True and I just started playing it within this last year and love it. I also like the new Stra Trek Tactics games by Wizkids.

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 18 March 2012, 18:34:36 »
What Happened to the Vanguard sets... there seem to be none on the WEB.
Don't tell me that they are sitting in some Seattle wharehouse, which no longer has an interested owner?
all I ever see are singles of this set.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #51 on: 19 March 2012, 13:52:09 »
Wasn't that the one that sold out in record time?

Winterbeast

• Recruit
« Reply #52 on: 28 March 2012, 16:36:16 »
you know, wouldn't it be nice if Topps could buy out Harmony Gold?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 28 March 2012, 16:52:54 »
I suppose the question is "why would Topps buy out Harmony Gold?" I mean, for example Palladium's been in business for many years, but could you imagine a big company being able to actually make money from it? Same with HG, I suspect.

W.

Winterbeast

• Recruit
« Reply #54 on: 28 March 2012, 17:47:39 »
I suppose the question is "why would Topps buy out Harmony Gold?" I mean, for example Palladium's been in business for many years, but could you imagine a big company being able to actually make money from it? Same with HG, I suspect.

W.

Sure I could! Big Movie producer wants a fandom tie in. Michael Bay wants dorks to play games based on his movies. so what does he do? Buy a game company. If they can make a good game, it would be like Battletech. if not, it would be like Monsterpocolypse.

W.

Gun4Hire

« Reply #55 on: 24 May 2012, 17:24:55 »
Think the only chance of a saving grace for any type of a mechwarrior return is if a movie is ever made. It would bring the game back to light and life, still I would stack the odds against it big time.

Winterbeast

• Recruit
« Reply #56 on: 24 May 2012, 19:06:59 »
Think the only chance of a saving grace for any type of a mechwarrior return is if a movie is ever made. It would bring the game back to light and life, still I would stack the odds against it big time.

I'd love to see that, Given how good the cutscene was for the Mechwarrior 4 vengeance  game, I would say they have the chops to make mechs as we know them believable. Michael Bay would be thrilled!

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 24 May 2012, 21:00:15 »
I'd love to see that, Given how good the cutscene was for the Mechwarrior 4 vengeance  game, I would say they have the chops to make mechs as we know them believable. Michael Bay would be thrilled!
No Bay.  I'm still hurting over the announcement about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Aliens.

Register