Author Topic: 2012-08-24 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 1, Parts 1-5 [Jennifer Brozek]  (Read 4377 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
2012-07-29 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 1, Part 1

"Your face is not mangled, it's scarred."

Young Allegra Greene begins a new term at the Nellus Academy on Nestor in the Free Worlds League. Her father, a FWLM hero, has been reassigned. What will she find there?

2012-08-03 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 1, Part 2

"You blew up one of the science labs?"

As Allegra meets her classmates, she discovers they have more layers than she might have suspected.

2012-08-10 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 1, Part 3

"What's the worst thing they can do to us?"

Having discovered some of her classmates'--and new friends'--talents at the academy, Allegra now prepares to visit them at home.

2012-08-17 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 1, Part 4

"Maybe that why all the hubbub about the refueling station..."

As Allegra and her friends prepare for their off-planet mission, they can't help feel both excited and scared. What will they find outside Nestor's atmosphere?

2012-08-24 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 1, Part 5

"Why would they give us combat vests?"

Everything Allegra has been learning, doing and practicing since she arrived at Nellus has been leading up to this: a mission off-planet. What will they find?

« Last Edit: 24 August 2012, 08:43:54 by roosterboy »

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Part 2 is up!

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Part 3 is up!

Demos

• Captain
Hmm, three parts up and all I can think is "The story need a bit more drive".
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
The way it's been broken up (multiple quite short parts) makes it seem like there's less going on than there actually is.  It's a good story and I'm enjoying it so far - looking forward to the next installments.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Martius

• Captain
Same here. I like the story.

ShockaTime

• Captain
I like the story, but I really want something big to happen in the next part.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Frabby

• Major
Part IV is up. And although there isn't something big actually happening yet we're getting there.
The aerospace and WarShip geeks are going to love this one.

On a sidenote, Starfleet Nellus Academy is just begging for Star Trek jokes. I'm at a point where I envision everybody running around in purple spandex uniforms with pink highlights. Where's Wesley?  :D
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Sharpnel

• Colonel
I'll wait until this is finished before I start reading it. The installments are too short (5-6 pages) for me to hold my interest. If the parts were longer like the parts  Pheadra Weldon's Isis Marik Cycle were, then I would read them as they came out.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

gaaneden

• Recruit
Thank you all for reading The Nellus Academy Incident. I know its format is a little unusual for the website. The episodes are designed to give you a small bit of fiction in an overall large arc. The entire story is about 50,000 words long and is told in five acts. While act one is mostly set up and introduction, I assure you, the story has a lot of action and a high body count. :) I am mean to my characters.

Act two (or books as they are being called on the website) does start with a bang and it keeps going from there.

Also, as a person who grew up with Star Trek, I seriously thought about having a couple of veiled Star Trek references... but resisted.

Frabby

• Major
The author herself. Welcome to the boards! I hope you don't mind the Star Trek association.  :)

Since you're newly registered here (and apparently not a long-time forum user), care to tell us a few things about you and how you got to writing BattleTech fiction?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

gaaneden

• Recruit
Sure. I'm an Origins and ENnie award winning game designer who has been writing in the RPG industry since 2004. If you want my full details, best to go to my website www.jenniferbrozek.com. I'm also an award winning editor and fiction author.

I am a military brat and lived on military bases until I was 16. One of the things that military fiction often does not show is the base culture for those who are not yet soldiers or will never be warriors--the dependents, administration, spouses, and civilians working on base. One of the things I like to write about when writing military fiction is to touch upon the customs and courtesies the children and spouses adopt. 

In the Nellus Academy, I wanted to show how growing up military forces a kid to grow up faster than there civilian counterparts. I know I was training for emergencies as young as six and when I lived in Belgium, we had regular exercises on what to do being American in a possibly hostile foreign land.

In 2010, at GenCon, I was having dinner with some of the Cat Lab fiction people and I was asked to write fiction for the website . With 25+ years of history in the IP, the concept was daunting but I agreed once I had an idea. However, because I know I can't know every detail of Battletech, I have a "Battletech Think Tank" group who vets my work before I send it into the fact checkers.

Beyond that, I'm a huge gamer geek. I am in 3 weekly RPG games that range from Shadowrun, Hunter, Deadlands, Eberron, and Star Trek (depending on the rotation - Right now it is Deadlands, Shadowrun, and Hunter).

As for forums, for the most part, I avoid them. But, I thought because this is a long running series (25 episodes scheduled), I would hang out and answer questions if I could. I won't give away the plot but I will answer what I can.

If you'd like to read some of my other military fiction, here is one called "Honoring the Dead." It's available in text and audio form.
http://www.wilywriters.com/blog/honoring-the-dead-by-jennifer-brozek/

Thanks,
Jenn

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Welcome Jen! Just be careful of the Wombat and you'll be okay. It's nice to talk to you in more then 140 characters at a time...... O:-)

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

gaaneden

• Recruit
Welcome Jen! Just be careful of the Wombat and you'll be okay. It's nice to talk to you in more then 140 characters at a time...... O:-)

Craig

Good to see you here, too, Craig. Though, I'll do most of my posting on twitter. :)

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
Good to see you here! I recognized your name from my copy of Maschine Zeit. Glad to have another BattleCorps author on board!

Phil

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

Sharpnel

• Colonel
For those that are reading, Part V is out
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner