Author Topic: How to do laser scoring and autocannon round impacts on bases...  (Read 2992 times)

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
As the title says, I am busying myself with trying to figure out a way to do nice looking laser marks/scoring and autocannon round impacts on the mini bases.

I am using the the Citadel Astrogranite as add lunar texture to the bases, so I wanted to do the above to break up the monotone look of the bases.

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: How to do laser scoring and autocannon round impacts on bases...
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2019, 12:23:13 »
iirc there is a video on the Camospecs youtube channel that goes into some detail for the AC basing. Not sure about the laser bit.

Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9zKhphGnsc Hopefully you will find it useful.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2019, 11:11:03 »
Thanks for the video. It's not 100% applicable for me, but I will see what I can use.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2019, 16:37:19 »
What bases are you currently using?  IWM metal?  Litko acrylic or wood?  plastic?  I have been known to cut powerade caps for light mechs . . .

IMO that will be the deciding factor b/c getting whatever you put on there to bond to the surface of the base.  I have some of the home improvement purple putty for fixing walls- it did not like the powerade caps, because of that I will not try it on acrylic, and I am doubtful of even metal.  I DO expect it will bond well with the wooden bases.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2019, 12:57:20 »
I am using the plastic hex bases that AGOAC minis come with.

I was thinking to use GW Astrogranite to achieve a lunar texture with some added small details like what I asked here about, to spice them up a bit.

However, if I use a thick coating of Astrogranite it gets a texture like farina meal, and it doesn't suit my tastes (which is ironic, as I absolutely love devouring farina). If I use a thinner coating of AG, I don't have enough material to sculpt small crater-like holes. I am actually thinking of ditching the whole idea.