Author Topic: GB VS SV. Bridge over the River Why!  (Read 2135 times)

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
GB VS SV. Bridge over the River Why!
« on: 12 May 2011, 09:30:12 »
So I let Our visitor Tom have access to my troops for this game.  We used Honor for the first time in a long time on both sides.
It slowed the game down a lot as we struggled to find targets we could legitimately hit.
I let him pick from my Bear forces.
He Selected
Thimber Wolf   A   2   3
Cauldron Born   CB   3   4
Thimber Wolf   A   3   4
Summoner   PR   3   4
Nova   PR   4   5
Stromcrow   C   2   3
Black Lanner   PR   3   4
Viper   D   3   4
Firemoth   PR   3   4
Firemoth   D   3   4
Warhawk   O   3   4
Plus a star of elementals.

Taking him on was a Trinary of Steel Vipers.
Linebacker D
Battle Cobra H
Black Lanner C
Viper F
Stormcrow B
Shadow Cat B
Shadow Cat H
Viper F
Mist Lynk G
Blackhawk S
Cougar C
Griffin IIC
Griffin IIC
Piranha
Lobo
They where a tad on the light side.

The Senario was a take the bridge. The water was depth 3. So the Bridge or Jumpjets where the only way across. Both sides commands required the bridge intact at the end of the fight. And forces resisted the urge to destroy sections of it.

The first few turns consisted of the Bears Milling directly down the road. As fast as they could. Some minor long range fire was exchanged with the bears loosing some armor. The Vipers flanks came forward a small bit. While the center held their positions behind cover.
Turn 1

Turn 2
The SV Stromcrow B makes a lone attempt to halt the advance. But with Honor in play he's in no real danger.
The Firemoths make a dash to harass the Cougar. And a Battlecobra and Summoner find themselves involved in a duel.
Again long range fire was exchanged by those who could draw a bead but gave no real affect.

Turn 3
The Black Lanner backs up away from the scary Stormcrow who changes targets to the lead T-Wolf. And in turn gets selected by the Warhawk for some lasery love.
The Linebacker comes up to help it out. A Griffin IIC and T-wolf start an unofficial duel. One of the Shadowcats attempts to cross the water. A LPL from the Cauldron Born to the cockpit halts its flanking maneuver.
The Nova and Lobo square off against each other and a whole load of Elementals get dumped.
The Bear Stromcrow starts picking on a Blacklanner.
The SV Stromcrow shuts down due to heat.

Turn4
The Linebacker continues to paste the T-Wolf it started on last turn. The return fire strips armor but leaves the Linebacker still functional.
The Stromcrow refuses the Warhawks offer to pop the hatch. Its receives messy laser death for its troubles.
The Lobo takes advantage and legs it behind the nova.  The minimal damage isn't worth the effort as the Combined Elemental Nova fire results in an ammo Bin going up. And the Lobo ending high on the heat curve. It manages to survive all rolls required thou.
A long Range PPC from the Summoner cores its Target Battlecobra back across the bridge.
The Lighter Bear elements take to the city in an attempt to flush out the defenders.
Minimal damage is exchanged between them.

Turn5
The final turn of the game. It's getting Messy for the Viper now.
Sure the Linebacker takes the leg off the T-Wolf. But that now leaves it ripe for the Warhawk to finish off.
And despite the Piranhas attempt to ambush a Firemoth it ends up the worse for ware.
The only mech that appears to be having much luck is the Griffin Pinging the T-Wolf.
The vipers loose a few more torsos and The Lobo ends the turn on 29 heat all that effort and nothing hits.

Aftermath.
With the heavy elements finishing off those around the bridge. Its only a matter of time before they enter the city. Which is hindering the Vipers movement due to skid rolls.  The bears offer of Hegira is accepted. They have the bridge and the way into the city.
Command start moving up support elements.

The game was quite messy mostly due to the number of elements and the use of Honor. It slowed the game a lot as we attempted to figure out who was an open target or who would be best to shoot at who. The game might have been a lot quicker had we just smashed as we ran.
Honor also left us without the need to think Tactically on the assault of the defense side of things as it was more you face off against you.

There where also a few gripes in the group over group firing and the such. But Everyone has their own take on what is honorable. And it a gave us something to debate for a bit.

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
Re: GB VS SV. Bridge over the River Why!
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2011, 10:45:58 »
Wow! That's an awesome battlefield! Love the city and the scenario.
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2011, 08:52:16 »
This was a very, very sore fight. Contrary to popular opinion I would have preferred a more open, standup fight, despite my weight disadvantage

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2011, 09:02:26 »
The City did sort of hinder you.

I still think it was the Stromcrow breaking early that caused you issues as it was alone on the bridge attempting to hold up the rest of the bears.

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2011, 09:04:36 »
If we could move without need of a psr when we turned it would have been very different. It would have dropped to-hit numbers by 1 from our lack of jumping while not while most of my mechs could reach the same modifier running.

I would have held the stormcrow back myself and mugged them once the reached the city. Give them a reason to think twice before charging through the gates. But that's just me

Register