Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: The Fourth Generation  (Read 160575 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Aviation Pictures: The Fourth Generation
« Reply #240 on: 20 January 2019, 03:12:48 »
This might amuse you folks.  Its a gallery of images and comments from an article about an F-22 pilot who gets to fly an F-4 Phantom for the first time.

https://imgur.com/gallery/44swwZX

After the AHC, I decided to take her up high and do a supersonic MACH run, and by “high” I mean “where never lark nor even eagle flew”; but not much higher, a foot or two maybe. I mean, we weren’t up there high-fiving Jesus like we do in the Raptor, but it was respectable. It only took me the width of the Gulf of Mexico to get the thing turned around while above the Mach.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #241 on: 20 January 2019, 04:13:13 »
Got the giggles at the first mention of coal, had a smile the whole time through.  Poor F-22 driver can't make sense of all those round whatsits on the cockpit panels, kept looking for his tablet PCs...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #242 on: 20 January 2019, 04:38:24 »
Well in terms of tech difference its like comparing a P-51D to a Sopwith Camel or an Fokker Eindeker.  Sure the principles and ideas the same, but the difference is still huge. and the F-4's a VERY different bird to the F-22, the F-22's got fly-by-wire and is far more aerodynamic.  The F-4 just had globs and globs of raw thrust.

And yeah its very amusing :D

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #243 on: 20 January 2019, 05:42:01 »
In fairness, so does the F-22; those Pratt & Whitneys punch "somewhere over" 70,000 pounds of thrust at max compared to about half that for the F-4.  Though the Raptor also weighs half again as much as the F-4 does...says a lot about the control and finesse that it's got that it can dance like it does despite being ten thousand pounds heavier than a B-17.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #244 on: 20 January 2019, 06:03:39 »
Blimey, I didn't realise the F-22 was heavier than the F-4, I thought the F-22 was lighter than something like the F-15 which is a bloody big plane.  And its that much heavier than a B-17..boggles the mind really.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #245 on: 20 January 2019, 06:24:43 »
In all fairness so did I, but going by the Wikipedia the F-22's three sizes* are 43,340-64,840-83,500 while the F-4 runs a svelte 30,328-41,500-61,795 and the B-17 a surprisingly plump 36,135-54,000-65,500.  The Raptor and Phantom are actually just about the same length as a B-17, which is an amazing factoid to me - 63 feet or so for the jets, vs 74 feet for the bomber...and yet the latter gets ten people crammed in it while there's barely room for one in the former two.  Meanwhile the Liberator was a stubby thing at only 67 feet long...

*empty-loaded-MTOW
« Last Edit: 20 January 2019, 06:26:51 by ANS Kamas P81 »

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #246 on: 22 January 2019, 10:56:19 »
In all fairness so did I, but going by the Wikipedia the F-22's three sizes* are 43,340-64,840-83,500 while the F-4 runs a svelte 30,328-41,500-61,795 and the B-17 a surprisingly plump 36,135-54,000-65,500.  The Raptor and Phantom are actually just about the same length as a B-17, which is an amazing factoid to me - 63 feet or so for the jets, vs 74 feet for the bomber...and yet the latter gets ten people crammed in it while there's barely room for one in the former two.  Meanwhile the Liberator was a stubby thing at only 67 feet long...

*empty-loaded-MTOW
After working a crew that restored an F-4 for static display, let me say; that is a bloody big wing to sand and prep!

Basically ProtoMech Pilot right there.  Hell this whole startup sequence could basically be a protomech's start up one. 
Protomech or Spectral Omnis did occur to me as I was watching the clip but I was more interested in the control surfaces and the preflight.

A friend shared a clip from Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai on facebook that was 2:20 of meticulous preflighting a piston driven fighter.  Sorry I can't figure out how to extract the link or find the original video.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #247 on: 26 January 2019, 18:15:36 »
This was not a good day for this Tu-22M3 crew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjENAhPeUtA

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #248 on: 26 January 2019, 18:25:57 »
According to the news report linked in that video, two of the crew members died in the crash.

And that's a pretty horrific crash.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #249 on: 26 January 2019, 18:35:49 »
Looking at the weather, I have to wonder why they were even flying...

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #250 on: 26 January 2019, 18:53:10 »
According to the news report linked in that video, two of the crew members died in the crash.

And that's a pretty horrific crash.

I'm amazed it was only two.  I was surprised that the rest of the plane almost landed on the forward fuselage when it finally stalled and crashed.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #251 on: 26 January 2019, 19:16:23 »
My thoughts exactly. Extremely poor visibility and it didn't look lie the strip had even been cleared. Somebody needs to get severely punished for this.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #252 on: 26 January 2019, 19:40:52 »
Damn that is... backbreaking

I heard 1 of the crew managed to get onto a life raft but died anyway

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #253 on: 26 January 2019, 19:52:40 »
That thing hit hard.   :o  It's a wonder it only broke in one spot, would have thought the gear would have gone through the wings seeing as it isn't a carrier born aircraft.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #254 on: 26 January 2019, 21:19:16 »
That thing hit hard.   :o  It's a wonder it only broke in one spot, would have thought the gear would have gone through the wings seeing as it isn't a carrier born aircraft.
They build them with tough gear for rough field landings and unpaved operations.  And once the "neck" became a stress failure point, all the energy went into that instead as the weakest link. 

That said, it sure came in on a steep descent and flared late; I'd say visibility and weather conditions (plus a complete lack of clearing the runway) were primary causes.  Could the snow have fudged the readings of the radar altimeters onboard?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #255 on: 27 January 2019, 10:19:19 »
They build them with tough gear for rough field landings and unpaved operations.  And once the "neck" became a stress failure point, all the energy went into that instead as the weakest link. 

That said, it sure came in on a steep descent and flared late; I'd say visibility and weather conditions (plus a complete lack of clearing the runway) were primary causes. Could the snow have fudged the readings of the radar altimeters onboard?

That's my thoughts too, they seemed to be coming down way too fast for a normal landing and maybe the snow was fuzzing it up enough that they thought they were higher than they were. With visibility like that there's no clues for them to see something like a building or tree etc to warn them off, then they seemed to have come down in a normal decent rather than a landing.  It came in quite straight too from what we could see, not nose up tail down for landing, so something tells me they thought they were higher than they really were.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #256 on: 27 January 2019, 11:05:54 »
I asked that radar altimeter question in another place I saw this being discussed.  The answer I got was that the snow wouldn't have affected it.  I'm thinking they were high and fast, and both guys up front were heads up trying to make out the ground through the snow and didn't notice how low they really were.  I was really surprised they didn't drive the main gear legs up through the wings when the hit and the weak point was the forward fuselage.  I wonder if the pitch-up of the rest of the plane was solely from the front breaking off or if whoever was flying tried to pull up and the elevators helped.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #257 on: 27 January 2019, 11:44:12 »
Front breaking off.  That's a decent amount of weight suddenly missing from the airplane, throwing the COG way behind the wings, and control inputs were severed at that moment.  Along with, I imagine, whatever hydraulic systems the Tu-22 has; control was something that went right out the window.  Same thing happened to TWA 800 when the fuel tank blew, compromised the fuselage, and took the front off to the wing shoulders.

Looks like someone just leaked the initial report here.  The Russians seem to say she was overloaded, apparently, with piloting error being the primary cause.  Anyone read Russian?

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #258 on: 27 January 2019, 14:00:05 »
Good point with TWA800.  I had forgotten about that.

Has it been said anywhere how long they had been in flight?   I've been wondering if the reports of a overweight landing are a misunderstanding/mistranslation of it being a heavy (hard) landing.  I can see them being heavy if they had just taken off and had to come back for some reason.

Edit:  was looking for some more info and saw that one of the survivors has passed.

Another edit:  Found a screenshot just after it broke.  You can see the elevators are pretty much at neutral pitch.  From here: https://defence-blog.com/news/russian-tu-22m3-crash-expert-says-instrument-landing-system-to-blame-hard-landing.html

« Last Edit: 27 January 2019, 14:10:26 by hoosierhick »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #259 on: 27 January 2019, 14:27:41 »
"Too heavy" could have a number of connotations to it, yeah.  I'd think either fuel load or if it was carrying ordnance of any kind might have overdone it, like how airliners can take off with more fuel than they are recommended landing with.  Either that or it meant the descent rate was too fast, which was definitely a case.   Watching the video closely, maybe an altitude of 10m or so (less than a second before impact) you can see it start to come up a little in the nose and slow its descent, which I imagine was the pilot seeing the runway position finally.

Frankly with as much snow as there is in the video, I can't tell where the runway ends and the dirt begins, and that's with the benefit of not moving and having a still image to look at.  The pilot never had a chance, in all honesty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXVmsm_pmUo

An MD-80 suffering a relatively similar fate, though in this case it was the tail section that separated instead of breaking amidships.  Same high sink rate, same hard impact, and if you look close you can see the fuselage flex pretty hard before the tail breaks off. 

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #260 on: 27 January 2019, 16:19:07 »
Nasty crash
Poor crew

I will happily make joke(s) about accidents that everyone walks away from

Spent the day at Shoreham - scene of the Hawker Hunter crash a couple of years ago
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #261 on: 28 January 2019, 15:38:45 »

Training . . . while maybe not the best conditions, my bet would be they have not been flying in inclement weather the Soviet air force used to fly in.  And thus the bright idea of getting experience for the crew . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #262 on: 28 January 2019, 17:46:47 »
If the learning objective was "don't fly in this weather", they nailed it...  xp

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #263 on: 28 January 2019, 17:56:00 »
*shrugs*  It may have been worse than they were expecting b/c the pilot/crew and ATC were not experienced in flying during that sort of weather.  It could also be while the plane CAN fly in that weather it should not be loaded to the point it could be in better conditions.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #264 on: 28 January 2019, 17:59:31 »
If both the air crew and the ATC were inexperienced, the one authorizing the training should be court martialed...

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #265 on: 28 January 2019, 21:23:46 »
This is not the way to wash your Sky Crane https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-29/firefighting-water-bomber-helicopter-crashes-in-gippsland-dam/10757292

Luckily all three crewmembers made it out safely. All 6 Sky Cranes on firefighting duties here in Australia are grounded until investigation identifies the cause of the crash.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #266 on: 30 January 2019, 10:58:10 »
An F-4 doing F-4 things.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #267 on: 30 January 2019, 11:06:55 »
bad photo shop - where are the huge black smoke trails?
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #268 on: 30 January 2019, 11:29:45 »
So . . . this is where Maverick's international communications came from?
Colt Ward

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #269 on: 30 January 2019, 11:31:53 »
bad photo shop - where are the huge black smoke trails?

The enormous wash from those immense turboprops blew it away before it formed...?  ;D

Now, how's THAT for a unique flight line?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Register