Author Topic: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War  (Read 143471 times)

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
Re: Clover Spear - The Story of the '56 War
« Reply #300 on: 03 January 2019, 10:28:54 »
Another Omake from Yellowhammer. It's an interesting piece, that asks some good questions!

Walk in a forest during the day and the sunshine
makes the trees seem like a friendly presence. You feel
happy. But walk in the forest at night and the trees remind
you of prison bars. Why? Because the sunlight is no longer
there to illuminate all that seems good in our experience.
We are left to face only the dark side of our own nature.
-From Koans For a Modem Age, by Jennifer Katsuyori,
Gideon Press, 3000

Davion Palace, New Avalon
23 January 3057

Yvonne Steiner-Davion made her way through the familiar rabbit warren of the Palace corridors to the 'guest apartment' set aside for Omiko Kurita.

Idly humming a musical snippet from one of her father's favorite pre-Diaspora operas, she paused at the door, and nodded to the tough-looking tattooed Oriental man who was chatting with the Davion Guards Leftenant in charge of the door guards. "Is Omi inside?"

He nodded and spoke in Combine-accented English. "Hai. She is recording a message, if you do not mind waiting."

Yvonne nodded. "That's fine, I will just wait inside. I planned to ask her if she had any plans for tonight." She stepped into the foyer and pulled off her uniform boots, taking an offered set of house slippers, and raising a mental eyebrow at three other sets of shoes already present in the neat cubicle.

A muffled voice sounded from further inside, and Yvonne grinned and silently approached a door standing ajar. She pushed it open slightly to peek into the room beyond, and then froze.

Omi was dressed formally in an irisode kimono with five blood-red Kurita crests. She knelt gracefully in seiza on a tatami mat which had been dragged in and placed where the normal table and chairs for her sitting room would be. A pair of flowerpots filled with orange and red flowers flanked Omi, and Omi's attention was focused at the other end where Parvati and a pair of uniformed AFFC enlisted techs were concentrating on several holocameras filming her.

"...abandoned the Prince to die to the Dragon's enemies, and two of the three children of the Prince died honorable deaths in defense of the realm. That leaves the last true egg of the Dragon...and the Traitor Dove. My brother Minoru swore to me that no man may live under the same sky as the slayer of his kin when I gave him the sword of Shiro Kurita as Coordinator. Know that I will not stop until your line and your allies' lines are exterminated from the face of the stars and human memory!"

Yvonne bit her lip as the three-quarter profile of the Kurita royal twisted in rage and her eyes flashed furiously. She had seen that look before when she had visited Arthur and Tancred on Robinson after Arthur entered Robinson Battle Academy three years ago. She remembered how the face of long-dead Warlord Hugai Kurita in the two-century old holograph that had a pride of place in the Sandoval archives twisted in that same way as he spoke to the wounded Lyran officer who had fought a hopeless battle for seven years to resist the Arm of the Dragon.

"You and your men fought well, Colonel Hinders. I am minded to grant you a final gift before the end to honor your misguided valor. Come the morrow you will be allowed to confront the man who gave the Dragon the secrets of the Fourth Royal Guards. Guards, take him to a cell and call the physician to see that his wounds are not fatal...yet."

The stabbing pain in her palms as her nails dug into them brought her back to herself from the memories of past atrocities She knew what that tone of voice in the past had portended. Colonel Hinders had been forced to battle his brother to the death for Hugai's entertainment. As the dying Lyran officer realized too late what he had done, Hugai ordered his execution as the last member of the Pride of the Commonwealth...and the images of his final hours were sent to the Archon in an attempt to break Archon Claudius Steiner.

As Omi finished her rant into the camera, Yvonne looked at her with new eyes. Was Omiko really the girl who she and Katherine had seen enjoying shopping for the first time...or this murderous grieving stranger?

But who could she talk to? Victor was clueless about women and head over heels for Omi. Arthur and Tancred Sandoval were the other extreme, prepared to see Omi in a negative light no matter what. Katherine was busy managing the FedCom and judging from what Yvonne had noticed in her conversations, Katherine favored the similarly orphaned girl. Peter was tied down herding cats on Tharkad and dealing with the mess in Skye. No, there was only one person who could get the truth as to whether or not Omiko Kurita was a viper in their midst.

Yvonne stepped back behind the door to hide as Parvati and the techs passed her. She then took a deep breath, mentally reciting to herself her father's family motto. "Bravery, Audacity, Destiny." With that she nodded and squared her shoulders as she slipped inside, closing the door behind her. She soundlessly approached the back of the other woman, as Omi plucked aimlessly at one of the flower displays and then placed a hand on her right shoulder as she mentally rehearsed what she was going to say to get Omi to open up.

As her hand grabbed Omi's shoulder, the Kurita royal moved, stepping forward with her left foot and half turning. Omi's right arm came up to knock Yvonne's hand away as her left hand grabbed Yvonne's wrist to yank her forward and off balance for a counterattack.

Steel blue eyes suddenly widened in recognition and Omi hurriedly let Yvonne go. "Moushiwake gozaimasen deshita, Yvonne-sama!" she stammered a horrified apology with a deep bow.

Yvonne grinned in triumph mentally as she gave a matching bow to accept the apology. "No permanent harm done, Omi, but," Yvonne schooled her face to the closest approximation she had of her mother's icy commanding stare upon hearing of a royal theft of double chocolate chip cookies from the Triad kitchens before a never-to-be-forgotten seventh birthday party, "we need to talk. Now." She pointed at the door to the enclosed garden for the apartment.

Omi gulped nervously and followed Yvonne into the rose garden. Yvonne smirked a little at the statue grouping dominating the center of it of a young man with a handlebar mustache and a dagger-pointed beard kneeling and offering three roses carved from white marble to a clearly touched young woman. Alexander Davion and Cynthia Varnay. Fitting. I wonder if Omi knows the history about the children of mortal enemies uniting in marriage to lead the Suns? She then pointed to the bench placed to let the occupants look out through the armored glass to survey the view from Mount Davion before sitting facing Omi.

Omi sat, one hand subtly worrying at her obi sash as the silence lingered and Yvonne calmly stared her in the face. Finally, Omi spoke. "What...what is the matter, Yvonne?"

Yvonne leaned forward. "Simply this. I came in to see you swearing eternal bloody vengeance upon someone for crimes committed against your family. We both know that Victor is head over heels for you, would deny you nothing at all, and would be inclined to... overlook... that kind of activity, especially if you were discreet about 'dealing with' your enemies at first. That means that I have to act to insure that you don't turn his reign into the second coming of Claudius the Cruel and turn Victor Steiner-Davion into a name to blacken the pages of our history alongside our worst tyrants."

Omi's hand flew to her mouth and her eyes widened in horrified shock. "I would never! I would sooner die than hurt Victor-chan so! Please...you have to believe me!"

Yvonne winced mentally at the anguished look Omi was giving her. "Convince me. For starters, what was your little rant about?"

Omi took a deep breath and visibly gathered herself before meeting Yvonne's gaze. "MIIO gives you briefings, do they not?"

Yvonne nodded. "Not as much as Kathy or Peter get as the Regent and Heir or the spare to the throne, but I get the basics in case the Mask launches another successful attack on the dynasty and I have to step into their shoes. That way I can hit the ground running if the worst happens."

"They told you about Luthien and Benjamin then?"

"Not much more than the basics. The Jaguars overran Luthien and your father, mother and older brother perished in the fighting there. Then shortly afterward your younger brother was killed in a coup attempt on Benjamin. That sparked the current factional fighting within the Combine as nobles and generals rally around either your half-brother or your cousin to fight each other and the Clans."

Omi shook her head. "So ka. I was on Luthien when the Jaguars jumped into the system in overwhelming force. Father ordered me to... perform my duty." Omi's eyes glimmered with tears but her voice held an iron pride. "As the Keeper of House Honor I was to take the sword of Kurita Shiro-heike to my younger brother Minoru at Benjamin to anoint him Coordinator if what happened happened. So I departed the system under orders with the sword, and a few other family treasures while Father and Hohiro bought me the time to make my escape with their lives."

Yvonne reached over and gently squeezed Omi's hand as the Kurita's tears began to fall. "Sumimasen, Yvonne-chan. Father also stated that considering the circumstances, I was to journey to New Avalon after my other duties to House Kurita were discharged since my safety in the Combine could not be assured. As well as for..." Omi blushed shyly, "other more personal reasons."

Yvonne cracked a reminiscent grin. "Yes, I heard all about that arrangement from Victor's end back on Tharkad after he got your message. He was dying to tell someone that there was a way that you two would be together. But that is not the topic of discussion, alas. Spill."

Omi nodded sadly. "I...met Minoru on the recharge station at Benjamin, along with Uncle Isoroku. I informed them of what I had witnessed from Luthien, of Father and Hohiro's deaths in battle." Yvonne squeezed her hand sympathetically as her own eyes teared up, remembering the moment when she got the news that her parents had been assassinated. "I then offered him the sword of Shiro Kurita to lead our armies to avenge Father's death. He accepted, and for a moment I dared to hope when I sensed the seeds of greatness in him."

Omi's face darkened. "But I hoped too soon. One of the leaders of the Black Dragon Society, Duke Hassid Ricol, was also on the station, and found out about events. He and the traitor Warlord Benjamin had gathered their forces for a coup and attacked us on board the station. it was only by the grace of the kami and the efforts of Yodama-san that I was able to fight my way to the ship that the Order had chartered to take us to the border."

Omi trembled, her tears flowed, and her grip on Yvonne's hand became a desperate grasp. "I was never their primary target though. Minoru was. I was on board the dropship trying to warn Minoru of the treachery and let him know that I was safe when..." Her voice broke and cracked. "I saw him for the last time. Somehow, he and Uncle Isoroku had fought their way to a communications station. They overrode the planetary network and Minoru, dying and outnumbered, performed his duty for the Combine. He denounced the traitors and called on those loyal to the Dragon to resist and keep the true dynasty alive in their hearts. Then he committed seppuku with Uncle Isoroku standing as second with the Sword to insure that none could be taken alive."

Omi swallowed. "And I... I watched him die. I was weak and failed him, because in that hour, all I wanted was my little Minoru-chan back. But his honor and my honor dictated otherwise. Karma."

Yvonne leaned forward into Omi, gathering the other girl in a hug as tears soaked the shoulder of her uniform and Omi choked out in a bare whisper, "Sometimes at night I remember the man I killed with the sword in my sitting room. On the... bad nights... that man has my brother's face as I have to strike him down."

Yvonne finally released Omi from the hug once the tears stopped and handed her a handkerchief to allow Omi to make herself presentable. "So your 'message' is for the Black Dragons then?"

Omi nodded. "Hai. For Duke Ricol and as many of the others as I can track down. Katherine-chan was kind enough to provide some technical assistance in delivering it."

Yvonne showed teeth in a smile that would be perfectly in place on a fox leaving a chicken coop with a mouthful of bloody feathers. "Good. 'If you shoot at the Prince, you best not miss'. Father taught the Liaos that during the Fourth Succession War. Too bad that the lesson didn't stick; they can be slow learners. I suspect that Katherine will make it stick this time."

Omi gave a matching nasty smile. "It is to be hoped for that feud to be brought to a swift and permanent settlement in her favor, neh?"

Yvonne chuckled evilly, "Oh I don't mind if Candace's brood survive since they are reasonable people and know their place in the Sphere. Sun-Tzu, though... If I had already graduated, I would be pulling every string that I could to be part of the assault drop on his palace. Law School can wait, no one does that to us and gets away with it. Not for long, and we repay them in full for our injuries."

She then sobered and looked at Omi. "That said. You do not want to threaten people uninvolved in a conspiracy. Kill Ricol and the other Black Dragons, and I'll help piss on their graves on general principles involving rebellions, assassins, and traitors. Just don't go after innocents like wives and kids if they had no idea what Dad was up to. That's the kind of shit some of your ancestors pulled that makes the Sandovals get support when they scream about Kentares. Far better to take a page from Grandfather Andrew's book and roll out the Brigade of Guards to surgically crush the Warrior's Cabals. One of the major differences between the FedCom and the Combine culturally is that we believe in individual guilt in the Judeo-Christian mold while your culture is much more collective with guilt assigned to family units."

Omi nodded thoughtfully. "Hai... although... how do you handle it? I mean..." The Kurita royal frowned, clearly grasping for a concept, "The power? Part of me did... does enjoy the feeling of knowing that the man who killed my brother will die horribly at my hands as my plans come to fruit. But I also know from experience and training that once you get a taste for blood, for that power to order men onward, to crush your enemies and have them vanished... how do you stop from going too far?" Omi looked haunted as she continued, "From only finding out that you have gone too far when the ghosts of a million widows and orphans appear and the ocean of blood that you spill is too great for one Coordinator to drink it all? I know that you do not have a Keeper of House Honor to whisper in your ear to try to pull you back from the brink."

Yvonne shook her head. "It is a good question. Some of my ancestors were monsters, I admit. I grew up hearing scary bedtime stories of Claudius the Cruel and then Great-uncle Alessandro if I did not eat my vegetables as a little girl. I guess for the Steiners, and the Davions too come to think of it, the secret is remembering that loyalty goes not just up to the apex like us, but also down and that if we are disloyal to those under our care, they have a moral duty to act to limit the damage we can cause."

She pointed at the statue. "Alexander Davion. Our greatest First Prince, he fought a civil war against his tyrannical aunts and unified the nation to take us into the Star League. Not because he was born to the throne, but because it was the right and necessary thing to do. He is kind of a bad example, I suppose, because that while I learned of him in school and from Dad's side of the family for me the personal example of what I owe my people is Jeana. When we go to Tharkad, remind me, and I'll take you to see her and tell her story, that will explain it better."

Omi smiled, "Something to look forward to then, Yvonne-chan."

Yvonne nodded. "Yes indeed. As for the test, I'm sorry that I had to be so rough, just... there will be many people who will object to your relationship with Victor. I'll stand by you and support you and him, but I didn't want to see my nation torn apart with purges or civil war thanks to you being a second Jinjiro. Not that you are, but I suspect that the Sandovals will call you that until you prove yourself to them."
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #301 on: 03 January 2019, 22:09:25 »
*eats it up* :D Please, keep at this...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #302 on: 04 January 2019, 13:57:35 »
How in the hell do you convince a Sandoval that there a good Kurita that's still breathing?

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #303 on: 04 January 2019, 16:21:09 »
How in the hell do you convince a Sandoval that there a good Kurita that's still breathing?

By pointing out how many Dracs that Kurita is intent on killing in a slow and painful manner?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #304 on: 05 January 2019, 16:57:36 »
By pointing out how many Dracs that Kurita is intent on killing in a slow and painful manner?
:thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #305 on: 05 January 2019, 17:06:51 »
I mean, we all know the saying, "The only good Drac is a dead Drac."

Turns out, that´s wrong. The Drac that kills other Dracs is an even better Drac.
-Frederick the Great

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #306 on: 06 January 2019, 02:36:30 »
Living Drac < Dead Drac < Drac killing Dracs < Drac murder-suicide pact
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #307 on: 09 January 2019, 12:48:14 »
Salomek

Sarna

Sarna Commonality

Capellan Confederation

April 12th, 3057

“WATCH YOUR NINE, GODDAMIT! OH SHI-” Mechwarrior Jaden Hoss’s speakers blared in alarm from with the aggravated voice of his lance commander. But the last bit was disconcerting, was his Lance commander just busy? Or was he dead?

“Shit” he muttered as he wrenched his mech to his left as he turned just in time to face the façade of a ruined building that exploded in a massive cloud of grey dust, masonry, and girders as a Capellan Vindicator emerged behind the cloud. Hoss grabbed both triggers, at first, sending rounds and beams of azure light into the rubble circulating around the Vindicator’s feet.

Calm down, Hoss, or you are going to die here, in this godforsaken craphole of a town I never want to see again, even in my nightmares.

Hoss backed his mech off from the intruder, it’s dark copper colors contrasting with the garishly large McCarron’s crest taking up half of the Vindicator’s torso, as ground ferrocrete and ruined rebar fell in torrents off the angles of the ‘Mech. The Vindicator’s torso turned, and the right arm, which was little more than a tube attached to a stub of an arm, began to glow a bright cerulean radiance that soon reached out as a man-made thunderbolt at Hoss’s Enforcer, striking it in the left arm with a thunderclap and a river of scorched armor plate that fell in a groan of protest to the ruined street below.

Shit, he’s packing an ER PPC. Ok, let’s see how he likes my reply. Hoss brought both of the arms of his ‘Mech again and triggered his autocannon. Scarlet tracers reached out from the hammering of his Federated Autocannon and intersected explosively with the Vindicator, tearing out gouts of armor plate as the rounds stitched a line from the left hip to the right shoulder.

The Vindicator righted itself, and backed off, firing it’s lasers wildly at Hoss’s ‘Mech. Maybe he’s running a bit hot, surprised he didn’t use his PPC again. Hoss cautiously walked after him, sending ruby colored beams from his ChisComp Large Laser in the general direction of the Capellan ‘Mech. Something isn’t right about this. Why back off, unless…

The insistent hooting of a proximity alarm, and the threat detection suite created a cacophony that instantly riveted Hoss’s attention. His heart raced and sweat began to pour even more than the hot confines of a ‘Mech in combat usually led to. Dammit, I found the rest of his lance! Three buildings were smashed apart as dormant ‘Mechs emerged from them, in the same color scheme as the Vindicator Hoss has just exchanged shots with. Blackjack, Falcon, and oh shit…a Warhammer.

The Warhammer had barely cleared the building when it triggered both of its PPCs. One went wide, and the other cobalt colored beam smashed into the right leg of Hoss’s Enforcer, the impact rattling the ‘Mech and warrior inside it like a pinball stuck in a cascade of impacts with the bumpers. Hoss keyed his radio “Any friendly call signs, this is Crescent Two-Five, am engaged with a lance of Capellan ‘Mechs. I say again, three Capellan ‘Mechs at the corner of Alfrek and Holdmanton. Burst transmitting grid ref now. Need assistance soonest. Out!”

The rest of the Capellan fire went wide, smashing storefronts and facades with childlike ease, and sending rubble tumbling into the street. The pavement was scarred with the constant movement of ‘Mechs over the last five days, and who knew if anyone had been buried under the heaps of rubble, that now changed hands daily.

Hoss triggered his jump jets, seeking to get lost in the urban canyons and hoping to split up his pursuers and have something resembling a fighting chance. How in the hell am I going to kill a damn Warhammer? I mean, I only have 80 rounds left for the gun, then I’m down to a pair of lasers. Neither of which are shall we say, “blessed with ummpf.”

Hoss’s ‘Mech grounded with a shudder as it landed in a nearby street, it’s forest green and brown camouflage paintwork now crisscrossed with a mix of pockmarks and singed armor plate from the glancing hits that the Enforcer took during its brief flight. Hoss glanced at his right MFD, where a 2D representation of the ‘Mech’s armor and structure was presented. Most of my armor is yellow or green, though the right lower leg is orange. Ok..not too bad considering I almost played pop-up target for an entire Cappie lance.

The sound pickups detected the footfalls of the Capellan lance. Crap, they’ll find me based on a likely computation of my flight path. Gotta hide. Hoss scanned his surroundings visually. There was a building that had had it’s front torn open from the inside, it was gutted from the first to 12 floors, and was tall enough to hide Hoss’s ‘Mech. The only problem was, the heat signature. Any good FLIR is going to pick me out, if their MAD gear doesn’t. He then spied a downed Phoenix Hawk bearing the “Deadly Dancers” insignia of Gamma Regiment. Ok, good question? Are there any friendlies around? Did the block just change hands again?

The footfalls were getting closer. It was time to hide and Hoss deftly ducked his ‘Mech inside the remains of the building, then hurriedly shut the ‘Mech down. Please don’t let them find me. If they do, I’ll probably have just enough time to scream before they kick my head in.

The fighting on Sarna had lasted for ten days. The 12th Vegan Rangers had grounded with 4 regiments running about 90% strength. By now, they were down to two regiments barely running 85%. And as for the Kestrel Grenadiers? Well they’d contented themselves with raising what hell they could in McCarron’s rear, and had at least one regiment of his chasing down the Grenadiers. But the other Capellan regiments hadn’t gotten off scot free either. Word was, McCarron’s regiments were running about 70% strength each.

The fighting was brutal, to put it mildly. No quarter had been asked or given by either side, and the only things left alive in Salomek at this point were the rats, feral dogs, and those combatants on both sides whom fate hadn’t seen fit to cut short their time on this plane of existence. Hoss reached back into a locker just above the right shoulder of his command couch and fished out a ration cracker, which he proceeded to nibble on while he waited, he hoped, for the Capellans to pass him by. Damn, what a mess. Am I gonna see tomorrow? How about the next five minutes? Hoss was gripping his stick so hard with his right hand that his knuckles of his fingers were turning white. The insides of his fingerless gloves and his neurohelmet were slick with sweat, and the pit in his stomach only seemed to say, please don’t let me die here.

Hoss took a moment to listen to his surroundings, the boom of far off autocannon fire, the whine-crack of a PPC discharging, and the footfalls of a ‘Mech perhaps running toward battle or running for its life. The situation was confused, and there was not a distinct frontline, often buildings changed hands two or three times a day.

We’ve got another two, two and a half weeks before things get desperate, I hate to think General Stancel might have to seek terms thought Hoss.

A set of footfalls drew closer, the building began to shake. Oh crap, have they found me?

Sarna, Part 1
Attacking Units: 12th Vegan Rangers (all four regiments), 1st Kestrel Grenadiers

Defending Units: McCarron’s Armored Cavalry (all five regiments), Sarna Home Guard.

The 12th Vegan Rangers grounded on Sarna on April 2nd, 3057 and quickly set up a perimeter around the small city of Salomek to await further help from follow-on FC units. They were immediately hit on three sides by four regiments of McCarron’s Armored Cavalry (the 5th was kept in reserve), and the 12th’s Delta Regiment was overrun after 72 hours of hard fighting, with the remaining three regiments withdrawing into Salomek proper, anchoring their defense on a ring of low hills that made up most of the “Old City” The hills overlooked the “New City” across the White River, a tributary of the Grey River that ran to the south. The 12th dug into the hills and fortified the urban center of the Old City as best as they could, blowing all six bridges across the White River behind them. McCarron’s Armored Cavalry soon followed them across the river and launched several abortive battalion sized assaults to take one or more of the hills that comprised the Old City. The Sarna Home Guard was also kept in reserve to protect Backtal and Sarna City.

One of the more notable actions was the assault by 3rd McCarron’s to take a sluice dam where one of the larger hills known as Prince Hill, met the White River. 3rd Battalion, Alpha Regiment, 12th Vegan Rangers held off the entire 3rd McCarron’s Regiment for three days before a counterattack by the rest of Alpha into the teeth of the 3rd Regiment that gutted both regiments on the aptly named “Plain of Red Tears” ended the most serious threat to the 12th’s perimeter in this phase of the battle. After this, that sluice dam was known to both sides as simply “the Damba.”

After this assault, McCarron satisfied himself with rotating his regiments into and out of the fight, probing the lines of the 12th and launching company and lance sized raids into the 12th’s perimeter. Places like the “Crayon Factory” and the “TAV Hostel” entered military history as they changed hands five and six times between the two sides in a matter of days. Once the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers arrived on April 9th, they began a campaign of raids and mobile actions to draw off some of the MAC and managed to lead the 5th MAC Regiment on a wild goose chase that continued for most of the battle, occasionally turning and smashing isolated companies when they strayed too far from the rest of the regiment.

When asked by the Small World Theatre HQ what the status of his command was, General Tom Stancel simply responded by FAX. “Issue in doubt, send help soonest.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________

1st Kestrel Grenadiers Mobile HQ, 8km NW of Svoboda

Sarna Commonality

Capellan Confederation

April 19th, 3057

Marshal Agatha Stromp sighed as she looked over the situation map on the holo table in her Mobile HQ. The 12th is dying by inches and Archie McCarron smells blood. You’d think he’d have offered Tom Stancel the honors of war by now. Guess nobody’s in the mood for that right now. She sipped her cold coffee contemplatively. Not bad Sargent Major, I see your “training” of Corporal McTavish goes well.

“Alright boys and girls, we’ve probably done all we can here. Drawing off one regiment of the Big Mac was all well and good, but I want to make them come at us. Where’s a good place?”

Her S-3, a Leftenant General with a prominent widow’s peak and a hawklike nose by the name of Shemp, shook his head. “Mam, with all due respect. There’s shit all we can do here. McCarron won’t take the bait, and even if we wreck the 5th, well, Archie’s part of the CCAF now. He’ll just see it as the cost of killing us. But he won’t turn and do that until he’s done with the 12th Vegan. No, if we want him to come after us with more than the 5th MAC? We must hit something that will make them sit up and take notice.

Agatha smiled. “OK, how about Sarna City?”

The S-2, another Leftenant General with the nametape of “Jenkov” with long grey hair tied up in a bun, and piercing blue eyes seemed to pin her commander with them. “No Mam, with respect, our strength projections have a good chunk of the Planetary Guard there. We couldn’t get out of there before the 5th caught us and then smashed us between them.”

Shemp smiled. “We have a better plan, Marshal. A much better plan. We plan on turning on the 5th again, and smothering them with our fire support assets, we’ve been saving the ammo for a rainy day. We then detach the Mounted Grenadiers, have them cross the Straights of Losar here-“pointing to a point on the situation map. “-and hit the Tengo Aerospace plant at Backtal.”

“Isn’t that splitting the regiment, Shemp?” a look of concern crossing Stomp’s face.

“It is ma'am, but if we want to make the Capellans react, this is a way to do it. We may not like the reaction we get though, so we’re going to have to stay mobile from here on in if we execute this plan.”

Stromp smiled a feral smile. “Ok, Shemp, get with Jenkov’s boys and girls and write this up. I haven’t approved it yet. But let’s see what the nitty gritty looks like. We’ll reconvene in 6 hours.”
« Last Edit: 11 January 2019, 09:48:54 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #308 on: 09 January 2019, 13:23:11 »
This is going to get interesting

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #309 on: 14 February 2019, 16:50:51 »
Salomek, 2000 yards west of the “Crayon Factory”.
Sarna
Sarna Commonality
Capellan Confederation
April 19th, 3057

Another stinking day in this damn rathole. Sergeant Maria Detwieler scanned the street again through the scope of her accurized Federated Long Rifle. Like most scout-snipers in the Inner Sphere, she used the weapon she was most comfortable with, and for her, it was the Long Rifle. Eh, that new M-42 might be a real looker, but it’s a little too “modular” for my taste. Plus, ol’ Jake here hasn’t let me down yet. But will be nice to get back to the Battlegroup HQ, turn in my report, get a shower and some hot chow.

They’d been out for three days, doing a bit of outpost work for Alpha Regiment, giving a bit of help to the guys holding that pile of rubble they called the “Crayon Factory” and trying to stay one step ahead of the damn Capellans as they turned Salomek into something out of Dante’s Ninth Circle of Hell. The brigade had ten such two-man teams, and they’d all been busy doing a variety of things. One team had even made a try to wack Archie McCarron himself. Shame that went so badly, heard they did take down Marcus Barton. Good. I had friends at Fort Bourgogne. They’d picked a point that was pretty good, it was the remains of a shattered hovertruck whose remains had landed on top of a rubble mound overlooking the length of the street. A little work with the issue e-tool, and an IR scrambler net, and it was the perfect hidey hole. After three days, it was getting pretty rank, with their sweat and dirty uniforms chafing painfully against their bodies. Thank god my sense of smell is gone, I really hate to think what I smell like.  Her light brown skin was crosshatched with smudges of black and green camo paint, and grey smudges of crushed ferrocrete dust. Her eyes were bloodshot, she and her observer hadn’t gotten more than four hours of sleep a night, only the stim tabs and fear were keeping them both awake.

Been with the Rangers since Aldebaran, and I thought that was bad. What the hell did I know? The light from the burning buildings on either side of the shattered street was the only ambient light on this moonless night. The pops and hisses of burning material filled her ears, with the far-off rumble of heavy weapons fire completing the ambiance. I think I am getting too old for this. Sarah might be right, and it may be time to retire, assuming I live to see the end of this thing. She blinked her eyes and turned her head from her 10x Leopold-Zeiss scope for a moment, to regard her new spotter, her fourth in a period of three days. He was new, some kid from Novalya Zemlya who’d been a pretty good hunter back home, knew how to move quiet, and didn’t talk too much. Got the makings of a good scout, but he hasn’t earned the tab yet. Hope he lives long enough to fix that. I don’t even know his name. He had a large, wan face, with almond eyes that were pools of black in the poor light, framed by the lopsided camo netting that was draped over the issue helmet. His “footie pajamas” two-piece camo smock went over the rest, and made both look like shambling, formless apparitions. But with practice, you can move pretty good in this getup. Hope he lives long enough for that.

He was on his own weapon, an Intek Laser Rifle. It too had a scope, but he wasn’t using it currently, to rest his eyes. He had one hand on his weapon, while the other held a ration bar he was absent mindedly chewing on, going through the motions of eating. Though we’re both so damn scared and tired, hunger both gnaws at us, and means nothing at the same damn time? Shit. I really have been at this too long. Even my woolgathering is getting boring.
Detwieler didn’t like matching wits with Capellan snipers. They were damn good at what they did. House DiaDaiChi ran their sniper program, and it turned out some very talented snipers. Every Capellan sniper I ever killed, boy I had to work at it. And I suspect if McCarron’s got people out there, they’re just as good as the rest.

Suddenly, the hair stood up on the back of Detwieler’s right hand. Trouble. Shit.

The sound was almost imperceptible. A soft crunch of gravel. It wasn’t a ‘Mech. Even the lightest of them had pretty loud footfalls, and most vehicles in the Inner Sphere made a ton of noise. Even the fusion engine stuff would make noise from the tracks or the wheels, and the hover stuff? Shit that hum you hear miles off. Nope..that’s dismounts out there…but where?

Detwieler reached out and tapped the kid, who startled, but had the presence of mind not to shout out. He looked at Detwieler with large eyes. Detwieler gave him a serious look, deftly pointed toward the street, and gave the hand and arm signal for “wait till I shoot” and “take the bastards from right to left, two shots only.” She didn’t have to tell him after that, they were going to displace and haul ass. Any scout-sniper who didn’t know that was a damn fool. Especially with that glorified flashlight of his. We’ll probably only get two shots then run before they find us and fix us.

She turned back to her sight, her reticule was manual, a rarity in the Inner Sphere, as most folks at least used a digital sight with laser RF support. Detwieler was something of a luddite. I learned to shoot on Broken Wheel with a beat up 7mm Federated Arms Carbine and Iron Sights, and I was bagging rabbits at 200 yards by the time I was ten. And I didn’t have a scope either. Not to mention the zero on that old thing was crap. Still managed to bullseye nine times out of ten. Detwieler slowed her breathing, she wanted to make sure the first shot was a good one. She knew they’d only get two, and anyhow..if she was really lucky, maybe there would be an officer? It’s fun shooting officers, most of them don’t have the sense god gave a drop bear.

More crunches of rubble and the sound of a soft curse as someone slipped on a precarious patch rang out over the slight breeze from the street. The sound was about 200 yards out to their front, and whoever they were, their noise discipline was pretty good for leg guys. They’re not a scout-sniper team, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one overwatching em. In fact, if I were them, I’d use these guys as bait to find someone like me.
Detwieler leaned down for a second and reached for a device on her wrist the size of a small noteputer. It was a short-range, text only comms unit that was issued one per team of two. It was conformal, a bit heavy, but Detwieler was used to the weight, so it didn’t affect her ability to place shots, and she quickly typed a message.

“RAMROD 2-2 TO KING SIX, HAVE ENEMY FORCE OF ESTIMATED ONE INFANTRY PLATOON IN SIZE 200 YARDS TO MY FRONT. WILL APPEND GRID REF TO MSG. PLAN TO ATTRIT, THEN RETREAT 1000 YARDS TO RV ZULU. REQUEST EXFIL SUPPORT AND GREETING FOR UNEXPECTED COMPANY, OVER?”

She then hit SEND, and the message went screaming back to the Regimental BG HQ, where she sincerely hoped someone was paying attention. Everyone is a bit busy these days. But they’re usually pretty good..the unit softly vibrated with a response to the message, the screen read:

“KING SIX TO RAMROD 2-2, APPROVE COA. GOOD HUNTING, WE WILL SEE YOU AT RV ZULU. EXPECT MECH LANCE TO MEET YOU WITH APC AT RV ZULU. CALL SIGN IS THOR THREE-THREE. HAVE YOUR ID PANELS ON! THREE-THREE HAS BEEN TOLD TO FIRE ON ALL DISMOUNTS NOT WEARING PANELS. SIX OUT.”

Lovely, thought Detwieler. Someone thought it was a good idea to tell some ‘Mechjocks that it’s ok to be even more trigger happy then they usually are. And when the hell are we gonna be able to slip on our ID panels while we are legging it with about 20-odd pissed off Capellans behind us? ******, this is going to be fun.

The sounds became more frequent, and shapes began to form in the darkness as Detwieler trained her rifle towards the source of a particularly loud crunch of rubble. The Leopold-Zeiss had good low light properties, and the 10x scope easily picked up a shape of a man in outline, caught against the light of a burning building. He was hunched over, his black form clutching the shape of a rifle as he moved carefully down the remains of the street. Surprised they aren’t moving from cover to cover, then again, perhaps they were told nobody was here. Oh well, makes my job easier. Or maybe some Capellan bastard with a Minolta 9000 is sitting out there waiting for me to make a mistake. Detwieler’s stomach began to drop, and her hands began to sweat. Shit, not the shakes. Not now. I always get nervous before it drops in the pot. It was the anticipation coupled with a side effect of the stim tabs, once she sighted in, she was fine, but the fact was, it was a sign she was going to be puking like she’d gone on a bender afterwards. The shakes always made her nauseous. And it’s a bitch to get that nasty metallic taste out of my mouth.

The shape prodded forward, timidly, down the left side of the street, dodging around a hole where an exposed water main jutted out from below like some sort of modern art sculpture, the water or sewage having long spewed onto the street. He was young, impossibly young, his equipment was immaculate, and his rosy cheeks contrasted in the firelight against the impossibly white skin of the rest of his face. He was looking all around him, a noise from what must have been an animal, or settling debris startled him as he nearly jumped out of his skin. Probably pissed off his squad leader, hence why somebody this young and obviously bad at his job is on point. Guess I will do this kid a favor. Not like I want him anyhow. Where’s your boss kid? Where is your NCO, or better yet, your LT?

More figures resolved themselves on either side of the street, they moved as quiet as they could, but some of their gear still jangled, and their feet shuffled. One man had a Kaskia Arms Light Machine Gun, good gun, but violent extraction issues, don’t grease the cartridges, and you wind up tearing the spent rounds in half..nasty jam to fix. Yeah, you and your loader go first.

She stole a glance at her loader and mouthed “shoot the loader for the machinegun”. The kid nodded and settled his laser rifle into his shoulder. Detwieler turned and began to breathe slowly as she settled her sight onto the face of the machinegunner. She noticed her target’s nose was running, the snot was slick in the light of the fire against his face. He cursed softly as he reached into his snivel gear bag on his right hip and produced a dirty hankie. He had turned slightly, it wasn’t as good of a shot…but Detwieler had a nice view of his temple. Ok, zeroed for 200 yards, wind is from the south at 1-2 knots. Yeah, right on the money.

Detwieler slowed her breathing more as her finger began to take up the slack on her trigger. She’d modified that instead of the normal 4lbs of pressure, her trigger slack broke at 2lbs. She liked it, it allowed her to do follow up shots in a hurry if she needed to. I always relocate after shot number two though. It’s a good habit I never, ever break.

The gunner coughed and put his dirty hanky back into his snivel bag, then began to move up to catch up with the rest of his squad as they carefully walked down the ruined street. His face was Detwieler’s world, and she began to squeeze the trigger. Her weapon was carefully braced on a small pile of rubble, and she’d taken a few shots to sight in. A night shoot like this didn’t get much better. She built up the pressure and let out a final breath, just as the slack broke and the weapon went off, as if by surprise, just like Detwieler was trained.

The 62 grain, 7.62mm x 55mm semi-armor piecing round covered the 200 yards in about half a second, and hit the Capellan soldier right in the forehead, plowing through his skull with sickening ease, and leaving an eruption of blood and brains out the back of his head where his helmet had a new hole, courtesy of the high velocity rifle round. He pirouetted, then fell with all the grace of a puppet with its strings cut, a rooster tail of blood filling the air as he fell. It all happened so fast, that the crack of the round and the report of the rifle were only heard a half-second after the gunner was hit. The casing extracted silently, with the only sound being a soft ping as it hit a bit of broken glass in the position.

Her spotter’s Intek lit the night up with a beam of coherent light that linked firer and victim in a line of death that caught the gunner’s number two, a short fellow with Asian features right in the middle of the chest. It was a classic center mass shot and the Intek plowed right though the armored vest, blowing a fist sized hole in the man, and leaving a small fire burning around the hole as he tumbled over face first into the street, dead before he hit the ground.  But their position had been given away. Not like we had time for him to zero something else before we set out, and hell, they were gonna know where we fired from sooner or later. Detwieler thought as she lined up another fellow, this guy was giving a bunch of obvious hand and arm signals. He didn’t wear any obvious rank, but he was yelling and gesticulating at folks to get under cover, fast.

Her next shot was hasty, but no less true, and it caught this target in the lower abdomen, and the round went right through the front of his body armor and sprawled him out in the street. He wasn’t dead though, as he immediately began to scream in Chinese. It was a mournful, horrible sound.  Detwieler hated this part of the job, leaving a wounded man out there to draw out more of the enemy. But it was a job, and she was good at it, no matter what others thought.

Her spotter dropped another random rifleman who got too adventurous peeking out from cover, and gave Detwieler a look as if to say time to go? She nodded, and grabbed her rifle, slithering out feet first from the hide and looking as the new fella followed her. She motioned him onward at a trot as they vanished into the ruined night, and the Capellans finally came alive, rounds beginning to ping off the ruined hovertruck in a futile attempt to kill them.

Sarna, Part 2
Attacking Units: 12th Vegan Rangers (all four regiments), 1st Kestrel Grenadiers

Defending Units: McCarron’s Armored Cavalry (all five regiments), Sarna Home Guard.

The fighting settled into a bit of a stalemate, as the Capellans began to reduce Salomek to rubble, block by painful block, both sides spending two weeks bleeding each other white as they lived like rats and killed each other in the ruined urban canyon of Salomek. By the end of April, both sides had lost upwards of 50% casualties, and the Salomek perimeter had stalemated.

General Stancel, commander of the 12th Vegan Rangers Brigade, was desperate to break the stalemate, and began to prepare an operation he codenamed “PUNCH DRUNK” to send a scratch force of light mechs and hover tanks to raid the McCarron brigade HQ in the outskirts of town, but he held that option in reserve, wanting only to commit it once McCarron relaunched offensive operations in earnest.

In other news, the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers detached their Armored Grenadier battalion and launched a raid on the Tengo Aerospace Plant on the continent of Becktal, which shut down the plant for three weeks, as well as savaged a battalion of the Sarna Home Guard.  The commander of the Guard in the wake of the raid, demanded more troops from McCarron, who was forced to detach a scratch battalion from volunteers from his other regiments to reinforce the 5th, who by now, had completely lost contact with the Kestrel Grenadiers (who were happily running rings around McCarron’s troops) and were repeatedly blundering into ambush after ambush.

11th Maskirovka Field Support Battalion
FOB Wuhan
Sarna
Sarna Commonality
April 23rd, 3057

The tent itself was quiet as a tomb, the exception being the clacking of the keys from the noteputer of the clerk in the corner. All was to be properly recorded for the glory of the Capellan State, even it’s disappointments, such as these.

Commander Ju-Shing Tai, president of the summary tribunal, sat down at the field desk he had been occupying since the Capellan State had returned Sarna to its warm embrace and opened the folder with the current caseload. It was long and promised a busy day all around. He nodded to the senior NCO and stated, “Bring in the first traitor, let’s get the day started properly.”

A bedraggled young man of perhaps twenty was frog marched into the open area ten paces in front of the desk, he was in chains, both leg and arm irons. His face belied the scars of “coercive measures” yet his eyes burned defiance. This one could be…troublesome. Tai’s mind remarked.

Tai opened the folder, and shuffled the papers, he didn’t need to read this man’s file. He’d studied up on the day’s cases as part of his morning routine, and for the most part, determined their verdicts. Some can be reclaimed by the Capellan State, this one, probably not. But we shall see.

“Corporal Evgeny Rustakovich of Jensen’s Fire Lance, 2nd Company, 1st Battalion, The Wild Ones Regiment, McCarron’s Armored Cavalry. You stand accused of the following specifications of violations of the laws of conflict as stated in CCAF regulations, specifically, Articles 112 Cowardice in the Face of the Enemy, 291 Striking a Superior Officer, 301 Encouraging Defeatism, and 445 Insubordination. You stand accused of 1 specification each. The court has your legally extracted confession, but will entertain any mitigating circumstances, or pleas for mercy, before your legally mandated summary execution.”

The figure sat and regarded Tai, then spat at him with all the fury he could muster, the gob of mucus and hate landing well short of the desk.

“It is good Corporal, that that missed. Otherwise I would add a specification of violation of Article 399, Assault on a Superior.”

“Go ahead and shoot me, you bastard! You’ve already made your mind up, just do it!” stated the manacled Corporal, his Russian accent was evident, but slurred, obviously he was nursing a slight concussion from when they had extracted the confession.

“Oh, but the Capellan State will not suffer any slights, not from the likes of you, boy. No, we’re not just going to shoot you. We’re going to make your entire family Servitors, as obviously, such grievous disloyalty to the state had to be learned somewhere. And we cannot go rewarding such families. Isn’t your brother a Subcommander with the Red Lancers? I suppose they’ll adjust to being sharecroppers on a state farm on Yuris, dispossessed and all.”

The Corporal’s eyes went wide. “You sonofbitch! You leave them alone!”

“Or you’ll do what? Kill me? Like you tried to do to your lance commander?”

“That dumb bastard almost led us into an ambush. He should be the one on trial.”

“He would be, for gross incompetence and loss of Capellan State Property, but he had the good sense to die in the service of the state. You, you’re just going to die. But I will give you this chance. Sign this confession, and record a statement admitting full guilt, and any punishment will only fall upon you. You have my word as an officer of the Capellan State.”

The Corporal’s face went pensive for a moment, then he nodded.

“Good, Corporal. I feel your sudden change of heart has some promise. Alright. I hereby sentence you to be reduced in rank to Recruit, and to be immediately turned over to the custody of the 191st Corrective Infantry Battalion, where you will serve either for a term of 1 year, or until you are wounded in the service of the state. Upon that time, you will be returned to regular service in the CCAF. Remember, Recruit, you can be shot for ANY infraction at any time by the NCOs and Officers of the 191st, so mind your behavior.”

The Corporal nodded and was dragged from the room in preparation for the next case.

The court manager, a Subcommander leaned over and whispered, “Are you really going to spare his family?”

“No, of course not. Have papers drawn up for all the males over the age of 14 in his family to be arrested and enrolled into the nearest Corrective Battalion. We cannot have this disloyalty gaining currency. Iron discipline and correct thought are the cornerstones of loyalty to the state.”

And on the day went.

« Last Edit: 15 February 2019, 10:21:07 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #310 on: 15 February 2019, 11:52:04 »
Private Quarters of the Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation
Forbidden City
Sian
Capellan Confederation
April 24th, 3057

Isis Marik-Liao frowned at the message ROM she had just been hand delivered from the serene ComStar acolyte not ten minutes before. It bore the sun and fist sigil of the Federated Commonwealth and shone brightly in the light of the bedchamber. Isis was not much of an early riser these days, especially not with the news that…that I am with the child of a man who chooses to betray me with..with that Svengali whore! Not to mention, my father? Well, he wasn’t the real Thomas Marik. Who was he? Who am I?

Isis fantasized about killing both her wayward husband, and his mistress in their sleep, then returning home to the League. But with the tense political situation, and Corrine barely able to keep Parliament in line while contributing the bare minimum to support her brother-in-law’s war. She had been told by the League ambassador on Sian to “stay put.” I suspect it’s also a case of, why should we care about the imposter’s daughter? Not to mention there is the not so small matter of starting a war with the Capellans if I did that. Though, considering how this war is going for my husband, and his ‘Celestial Wisdom’, what does the League really have to fear from the Confederation?

Isis reached for her portable ROM player, and deftly slid the disk into the player. It dutifully took in the disk and began to play it with a gentle whirring noise, and the image of the same sigil that was on the disk appeared on the screen in front of a royal blue background. It then cut to a throne room of a regally dressed blond woman of tall stature, standing in front of a pair of thrones, both ornately decorated.

“Greetings Isis, you know who I am” the figure spoke, her hands folded in front of her as she addressed the screen. “I wanted to speak to you about this war your husband started. That he began with the murder of my parents, and the maiming of my brother. He’s fine and doing well in his recovery by the way.” Her voice was cold, steady and level. “I want to talk to you about the snake that is the father of your child. And yes, I do know about your child.”

Isis gasped. Oh god, what is she prepared to do? I mean, there were bodies dropping all over the League and Confederation for two months the last time she got it into her head..

“Do not worry, I do not intend to harm innocents. But that’s the choice you get to make? Are you an innocent? Or are you as guilty as the man you married? It’s time to choose, dear Isis. And this isn’t a choice you need to make for yourself alone anymore. You have a child to think about. And, I do hope the girl my brother described from Outreach has grown up some. I would hate to think the next generation of Mariks has a spoiled brat for a mother. Oh, wait? Are you even giving birth to the next generation of Mariks? Can you even go home?” the figure chuckled at that last thought.

“No, that was wrong, I should not have laughed at that. But here is the thing Isis, your husband may not be dealing in a thing called reality, but I suspect you, and I are. And you know what’s coming, and the last time, my father only raided Sian? Considering what your husband and his confederates have done to my nation, my people, my family? What do you think I will do?

“You can warn your husband, I expect you to. Frankly, I don’t care if you do. It won’t make a difference. I just wanted to warn you, that when we do come? I’d rather one more innocent not be added to the blood price of what we will have to do when we get there. And I and my generals are prepared to pay quite the coin. Consider Sarna as a down payment.”

A chill came over Isis. She knew what this warning was. And what it meant. The CCAF was projecting victory on Sarna, and that they would soon crush the Davion mercenaries. Isis wasn’t the recipient of any military training, but she was smart enough to know when someone was telling her that fish did not stink, and in this case, the stink was palpable. At least that Svengali my husband has taken up with is honest to him about the military situation. Not that I care.

The ROM faded to black, and Isis contemplated her circumstances. She realized that it was probably suicide to stay on Sian. Sooner or later, the FedCom was coming, and when they did, it was going to be with blood in their eyes. There really is only one decision, isn’t there?

She reached over for her data assistant and hit the intercom feature. “Dana, can you summon my ladies, and tell them to help me pack. We’re leaving. And no, we’re not telling anyone. So, do me a favor and make some quiet arrangements to get us out of the Confederation. Oriente, I think is a good destination. But we must leave tonight. “

The disembodied voice echoed from the device, “But what of the Mask, my lady?”

“You let me worry about that, Dana. I can only hope Father’s friends are still his after what went on back home. Either way. I am not going to consider staying and endangering us..or my child.” Isis stated matter of factly.

Dana responded “Yes my, lady. We’ll get packing. Pack light I assume?”

“Yes, and incognito. We can leave most of the wardrobe here. It’s all gauche anyhow. My soon to be ex-husband has no taste.”

The voice on the other end chuckled. “We shall, my lady.” Isis then disconnected the call and pulled out a letter from her royal stationary and began to write.

Dear Sun-Tsu,
 When in the course of human events, one finds out they are being cheated on in the confines of a marriage, it’s usually time to consider a divorce. Well, it’s that time. So, consider this me serving you with said papers. I’m leaving you, and you can take up with that Shang woman to your besotted heart’s content. You will never see me, or your son again.

And don’t think I will ever return willingly. We’re done. And you have no one to blame but yourself. Then again, I guess I was never a “good enough Capellan patriot” (Thank God) for you.

I do hope when Katherine comes to collect her blood price? She makes you suffer. You deserve it in spades, you snake.

Sincerely,
   Isis

« Last Edit: 15 February 2019, 12:26:17 by panzerfaust150 »
FedCom Fan!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #311 on: 15 February 2019, 11:55:57 »
Uuh... Isis as the imposter´s child?

I thought Isis was the real Thomas´ kid and Joshua was the imposter´s?
-Frederick the Great

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #312 on: 15 February 2019, 12:25:12 »
We know the truth...but right now? Isis's emotional state is a bit..fragile.
FedCom Fan!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #313 on: 15 February 2019, 13:39:04 »
We know the truth...but right now? Isis's emotional state is a bit..fragile.

Anyone who knows that "Thomas Marik" is not the real thing also knows that the real Thomas was replaced *after* Isis was conceived. That´s how it was discovered, after all - genetic evidence that Isis and Joshua do not have the same father.

It is also well-known that Isis´ is the daughter of the real Thomas - that was established after the real Thomas disappeared following the bombing.

So anyone who would know about the switch *at all* would know that Isis is the real Thomas´ daughter, and that Joshua is the imposter´s son.

So while she would have issues about the guy she grew up thinking was the father, nobody who knows about the existence of an imposter would think she´s his daughter.
-Frederick the Great

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #314 on: 15 February 2019, 13:48:25 »
There is also the not insignificant matter of a) she is a rightful heir to the Captain Generalcy, and b) she is carrying a child who while half-Liao...could be used to solidify her claim to the throne. Not a situation Corrine would want to be anywhere near. She can't make Thomas Halas NOT let her into Oriente, but she can make damn sure she doesn't get within shouting distance of Atreus...Now while it's been revealed Thomas was a fake, state media did not unmuddy the waters regarding Joshua nor Isis. In short, they've both been cut adrift to make sure Corrine has no rivals to the throne.
FedCom Fan!

Fedcom1045

• Recruit
« Reply #315 on: 15 February 2019, 16:42:05 »
I’ve always liked this story, it takes into account what’s next.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #316 on: 15 February 2019, 17:01:10 »
There is also the not insignificant matter of a) she is a rightful heir to the Captain Generalcy, and b) she is carrying a child who while half-Liao...could be used to solidify her claim to the throne. Not a situation Corrine would want to be anywhere near. She can't make Thomas Halas NOT let her into Oriente, but she can make damn sure she doesn't get within shouting distance of Atreus...Now while it's been revealed Thomas was a fake, state media did not unmuddy the waters regarding Joshua nor Isis. In short, they've both been cut adrift to make sure Corrine has no rivals to the throne.

From that point of view, it would make sense for Corrine to continue pretending that the fake Thomas is the real Thomas. She could then claim that the tests which established Isis being Thomas´ daughter were somehow tampered with. Then Corrine could use the fact that Isis is NOT the fake Thomas´ daughter - easily proven via paternity test - to "prove" that Isis is not a Marik after all...

That would take care of those two not so insignificant matters.
-Frederick the Great

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #317 on: 17 February 2019, 14:05:04 »
Nice update

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #318 on: 17 February 2019, 15:24:18 »
well, that was out of left field to say the least for thing going on.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #319 on: 25 February 2019, 08:17:00 »
And we have another omake by Yellowhammer of SB!

April 13th, 3057

Clan Nova Cat Warship Thunderbolt

Avon

Smoke Jaguar Occupation Zone

"Your defeat has been foreseen by the children of Drummond and Rosse, Smoke Jaguars! With what forces will you contest the inevitable course of Fate?"

Star Captain Sofia Rosse stood in the back of the flag bridge as Khan Severen Leroux spoke the ritual words of the batchall and sent it winging toward Avon at the speed of light. Her bones felt the vibrations of the trio of massive Carston Pegasus engines driving the battlecruiser after their words of challenge at the head of Alpha Galaxy's invasion flotilla .

Unconsciously she touched the fang of the nova cat that she had hunted as part of her sibko training that she now wore as a pendant for luck as she waited for the response.

She then chided herself for showing stress as her Clan went to honorable war and straightened her spine as she glanced at the holodisplay showing the map of the shared occupation zone and neighboring systems. Tendrils of shining blue marked with the codes of Alpha Galaxy leapt from their capital of Irece to hit Avon as the primary target of their prong of Operation CAT'S CLAW. Delta Galaxy's codes leapt from Jeannette to take Hyner, Kabah, Staplefield,and Jeronimo, linking two of the three 'pockets' of the Nova Cat occupation zone by ripping those worlds away from the faltering grasp of the Smoke Jaguars. Meanwhile Sigma Galaxy struck from Mualang to claim Yamarovka and Asgard, completing the link-up.

Involuntarily her eyes flickered to the angry scarlet of the Combine spinward and rimward as the battle computers redrew the map showing the best estimates of enemy strength and identification as picked trinaries performed 'informational raids' on the systems around Pesht to distract the Combine's eyes from the first stages of CAT'S CLAW and gather intelligence for the next stages. Then, unwillingly, her jade-green eyes turned anti-spinward to the ice blue and white of the Ghost Bears flanking the lone Nova Cat held world of Courchevel.

The Combine was distracted fighting itself and the blood-maddened Jaguars, so would be slow to react before the first wave attacks could happen and the preparations for the CAT'S FANG followups could be completed to isolate and take Pesht from the Combine. But what would the Bears do? Aff, sooner or later, they would stir and when they did... The Jaguars were showing once again the folly of a war on multiple fronts and unlike their blood enemies, the children of Rosse were able to learn and adapt to changing circumstances.

A chime sounded and Sofia snapped to attention, her thoughts refocused to the present as the galaxy map redrew itself to a blinking Smoke Jaguar symbol as the return message waited. The holodisplay flickered and revealed the face of the Smoke Jaguar commander of the garrison of their primary supply base as behind him visibly injured warriors moved around with unseemly haste. A helpful label at the base of the screen revealed his name as 'Star Colonel Paul Moon' as the dark-skinned Elemental scowled at the unwelcome message.

"You dare!", Moon snarled, his face mottling with rage. "Treacherous carrion-feeding freeborn scavengers, come and face us if you dare and we will eat your entrails, surats!" He picked up a half-full bottle of some amber liquid and threw it at the screen, which fuzzed and went black.

The Khan nodded to himself and spoke dryly. "Bargained well and done. If he wishes a grand melee to purge his worthless excuse for genes from the pool, so be it. Our reports indicate that the Third Jaguar Cavaliers are the primary garrison force as they reform with two or three trinaries reconstituting from their losses on Luthien with unblooded sibkos, second-line warriors brought forward in haste, and isorla salvaged from the battlefields there. Hardly their best but be wary, the Jaguar is never so dangerous as when it is dying. Proceed as planned."

-------------------------------------------

April 15th, 3057

Clan Nova Cat Assault Dropship Sacred Trust

Avon

"Man your 'Mechs, Warriors!" Sofia ordered, unconcerned by the brutal 2G thrust the ship was laboring under at military power as it drove toward Avon. "We hover-drop at 10,000 meters, then form on me to advance onto the ridgeline over Stratford to provide fire support for the rest of the First Guards. as they lure the Cavaliers into a battle of mobility. They will attack in a blood rage like they always do, and then we close the jaws on them. They have called a Grand Melee, so concentrate fire by Stars to destroy them quickly and efficiently. Are there any questions, quineg?"

"Neg, Star Captain!"

"Seyla!"

With that, Sofia turned to the Mad Dog II waiting for her. At 60 tons, and braced on its backward-jointed 'chicken-walker' legs, it seemed deceptively fragile, explaining why the Spheroids called the older model a 'Vulture'. Appearances were deceiving as it had a full nine tons of advanced armor on its endo-steel bones as one of the first 'new model' Mad Dogs to walk off the Irece factory floors into the touman of the Nova Cats.

She surveyed the jet-black painted Omnimech proudly, her eyes drawn to the incandescent midnight purple starburst on the forward-jutting angular torso squarely between the twin missile racks that comprised the sides of the Mad Dog. Below the starburst her 'Mechs name was given as 'SOFIA'S VISION' in that purple paint with the first and last 'I' in the name as the slit eyed black pupils of matching neon green cat eyes. The arms were nothing more than a barrel for her preferred deadly accurate 10cm pulse lasers.

Satisfied, she turned to her Technician standing at the lift to take her to the top-mounted cockpit. "Honor to you and your crew, Technician Mara. She is beautiful, and a worthy steed for a ristar such as I. Now strap me in and we shall teach the Smoke Jaguars the lessons of war."

With Mara's help she lowered the neurohelmet over her braided shoulder-length blonde hair (part of the DNA from her Vickers genesire legacy that the Nova Cats had won rights to from the Wolves a century ago) and then gave Mara a handshake in thanks.

"Good hunting and good luck, Star Captain." The Tech spoke as the canopy began to lower.

"Skill and Honor, Mara." Sofia responded before the hatch closed. She then flipped the switches to bring Sofia's Vision to life. Static filled her ears briefly, and then the recorded voice of her primary sibko instructor, Warrior Mhari snapped at her in a no-nonsense tone that instinctively caused her to straighten.

"What is the first lesson, kitten?"

Automatically Sofia replied. "Clarity of purpose reveals the truth of all things through all veils."

"Reactor online, sensors online, weapons online. Honor us, Sofia Rosse."

Sofia's mind flashed back to the memory of the elderly face of her instructor as the ancient woman (nearly sixty!) sobbed in gratitude at the request to have her voice recorded to serve as a reminder of her training to the Clan's newest Bloodnamed warrior.

Sofia flicked on her command circuit and spoke. "Points, report status."

"Alpha Striker Deuce, all green." Sofia's eyes flicked across the mechbay to the ten-ton heavier Nova Cat Alpha with its humanoid body on the chicken-walker legs and the arms holding clusters of paired advanced 8cm lasers. Good, Alex is ready as our sniper.

"Alpha Striker Trey ready."

"Alpha Striker Quad ready."

Sofia nodded as the twins Hina and Risa chimed in from their Nova Cat Bravos. Unlike the Alpha, this Omni configuration had the laser barrels and heat sinks replaced with masses of long-ranged missile tubes and ammunition bins. The hammer to Alex's rapier.

"Alpha Striker Quint prepared for combat, Star Captain." The final member of her Star spoke softly from her Shadow Cat Prime. Star Commander Desha in her fifteen tons lighter wedge-shaped scout mech with the advanced electronics mated to the right-arm Gauss rifle and left-arm 5cm lasers would be their eyes and ears as they performed their mission. Despite her quiet voice and dainty appearance, Desha would fight like a soaking wet wildcat when the time came.

"Skill, trothkin. Stand by for orders." Sofia flipped channels. "Stars report status for combat deployment."

"Bravo Striker Star prepared for deployment. Already ahead of you, " Star Commander Nytara smirked at her commander in the viewscreen, toying with her matching fang necklace saucily. Clearly a 'friendly reminder' in the Circle of Equals to her sibkin would be in order before making the recommendation to advance her for the next available Guerette Bloodname.

"Charlie Nova combat capable." Nova Commander Mirka Winters' alto rumble sounded from her Elemental suit. The ice to Nytara's fire, Mirka would be the rock upon which the Jaguars would be broken.

"Remember the plan is there for a reason, quiaff? We fight as one, trothkin. Assume drop positions and deploy as planned."

"Aff, Star Captain!"

------------------------------------

April 15th, 3057

Devon Highlands

Avon

"Dragon, two o'clock! Two blips behind it, analyzing now." Desha's calm voice sounded in Sofia's ears as the first Smoke Jaguar 'mech crested the ridgeline ahead of them as a orange blob in the cool blues and greens of the rainstorm that they fought in. Cyan beams of light from her right skewered it as it oriented itself upon her as the apex of the triangle thrusting into the Jaguar flank.

A wave of heat evaporated sweat from Sofia's body as she stomped the right pedal down hard, fusion exhaust jets blasting as she dodged out of the way of a volley of missiles followed by an azure whip of lightning from the enemy heavy. Her hands moved to put her crosshairs on the rent Alex had just put in the barrel-chested 'mech's torso armor and even as missile explosions shattered armor along the left side of her Mech, her thumbs pressed the firing triggers. Rapid-fire bolts of violet light skewered the ex-DCMS Mech and it burned a brilliant white on her IR as the reactor shielding melted. Secondary explosions ripped the Mech apart as the missiles cooked off and the pilot ejected.

"Dragon neutralized. Report Desha." She snapped out, glancing at the amber dots on her armor diagram, and instinctively twisting to present her less-damaged right side to the advancing enemy.

"First one is assault weight. It is a stravag Warhawk. Second is heavy weight as well. 83% chance of an Guillotine IIC half a kilometer behind it."

"Aff. Pop and drop left to taunt the Warhawk to pursue over the ridgeline, Desha. Hina, Risa, fire once I have it marked, hammer it down. Alex, shift right and stand ready to engage the Warhawk once marked. Desha, report immediately if the Guillotine wishes to bid itself in before we finish with the Warhawk."

Sofia slammed the throttle to the stops to charge forward to the ridgeline as her subordinates' replies echoed in her head. Internally her gut twisted at the thought of being the first thing the enemy Assault would see upon clearing the obstruction, but needs must.

Sofia breathed in and out deeply to center herself as Desha's Shadow Cat rose vertically on plumes of fusion flame, firing the gauss rifle at the unseen Warhawk as soon as she cleared the ridgeline, before hastily cutting the jets. A trio of PPC bolts speared where she had appeared followed by missile trails diving toward the Shadow Cat as Desha evaded fire from a machine nearly twice her weight.

A furious female voice sounded over the speakers as the ground shook under 85 tons of war machine at full charge. "Cowardly surats! Face me, Star Captain Jez Howell, if you dare to oppose your betters!"

Time slowed as the block-shaped torso of the Smoke Jaguar assault appeared in front of her. Jez twisted slightly to face the advancing Mad Dog as steam rose where the rain hit her glowing-hot PPC barrels.

To Sofia, that moment between two heartbeats lasted for eternity. The curling wisps of steam rising from Howell's PPC barrels froze; the diamond perfection of the raindrops falling toward her cockpit halted with one exploding from her armorplast in a perfect Clan daggerstar; the sweat-dampness of her fingerless gloves gripping the control sticks was one with her skin. That eternity was easily enough time for her hands to move by themselves and settle the crosshairs on the shoulder joint of the Warhawk as Sofia stared into the rage-maddened eyes of the Smoke Jaguar Bloodnamed through the armorplast of their cockpits and saw into her with calm understanding and pity.

One did not hate a maddened animal that had to be destroyed, but merely regretted the necessity.

She pressed her thumb triggers again as time suddenly resumed, followed by her left index finger's trigger as she slammed both pedals to the floor, taking flight on jets of ion fire. Purple bolts of light hammered the thick hide of the Assault 'Mech in front of her, melting armor around the shoulder joint, followed by a small missile spread from her left side launcher.

Return fire slammed into her lower body as, surprised by a Mad Dog that could jump, the Warhawk pilot aimed too low. Two bolts of electricity converged on her right leg, savaging it and blowing the foot clean off as the third shot rocketed below her flying form and missiles crashed against her left leg.

The cockpit screens flickered and fuzzed with the electrical surge through her 'Mech while she gracefully landed like a nova cat two hundred meters from the Warhawk. Mhari's voice sounded in her ears as the static of the PPC discharges cleared up. "NARC beacon deployment successful." The bright scarlet IR signature of the Warhawk suddenly glowed with a blue highlight.

"Finish her, trothkin!" Sofia commanded sadly, as her hands clenched on both joysticks' finger triggers. Sofia's Vision shuddered in recoil as the Mad Dog II belched out a cloud of thirty SRMs from all her torso launchers that headed toward the siren song of the NARC beacon attached to the enemy mech. Behind her, Risa and Hina joined in with a hundred and eighty LRMs between them in a trail of fire and death linking their 'Mechs to the doomed Smoke Jaguar. The missile contrails were joined by Desha's Gauss slug and Alex's lasers as the combined firepower and teamwork of Alpha Striker Star, Fifth Striker Trinary, First Nova Cat Guards (The Hand of Fate) shattered Star Captain Jez Howell's Warhawk Prime like it were made of glass.
FedCom Fan!

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #320 on: 07 March 2019, 09:41:24 »
AN: And the Cat Fight from Yellowhammer continues...

April 18th, 3057

Dropship DCA Hiryu

Dover, Kajikazawa Prefecture, Benjamin Military District

Space folded around the Hiryu, and then with a thud that was felt through the ancient hull, the Overlord undocked from the jumpship that had brought it across the stars. Thrusters gently maneuvered it away, and then the massive fusion torch flared to life, as the ship formed up as the vanguard for the assault force heading to the planet from the L1 pirate point between it and its moon.

On board the command deck the captain glanced at his female passenger in a Mechwarrior cooling vest with the unit insignia of a full moon behind clouds staring at the main holotank as it blinked, showing a triple wedge of dropships boosting toward the planet ahead. Ruby chips speckled the screen as aerospace fighters were launched from their bays to assume flanking positions.

He then cleared his throat and spoke. "All ships report undocking complete, Coordinator. ETA to assault orbit is...three hours. No transmissions from the surface yet."

A nod was his only response from the muscular young Japanese woman as she stared at the screen while carefully and methodically tying a hachimaki headband to confine her pixie-cut hair away from her face. Ice-blue eyes narrowed slightly as she finished, then Miyako Kurita returned to trying to bore a hole in the viewscreen with her cold gaze.

The elevator opened and a middle aged man in Mechwarrior uniform walked to her side. The light from the displays sparkled on the apple-green katakana number four showing his rank as a brigadier general along with the red disc of the Bushido Blade. He crossed to her side and lowered his voice. "Kurita-sama, the latest intelligence is that Chu-sa Smythe is holding out in the Wakazashi Industries factory with the loyal elements of the Sixth Benjamin."

Silence was his answer as the minutes ticked on. He bowed and then strapped into an acceleration couch,

"Status change! ASF launches from planetary bases!" The report caused a ripple across the command deck that flowed around the focused figure of Miyako like water around a boulder. The holoscreen blinked and redrew itself with blue dots forming up into squadrons as they headed for the Hiryu and the other dropships.

The captain looked at the figure of Miyako staring at the screen. She nodded once and he relaxed minutely.

"Assume anti-ASF defense cordon formation! All fighter wings punch a hole through! Stand by for heavy maneuvering!"

The growl of the Hiryu's engines grew into the scream of a furious dragon as two and a half gravities of thrust slammed into the bridge like the hammer of an angry god.

Through it all, Miyako stayed in her position at the holotank, with just a clenching of her white knuckled fist by her sides as the first specks flashed and vanished like fireflies in the evening in the holotank as machines burned and men died. Soon the combat was replaced by the thudding hammer of the dropship's autocannons and missile batteries as it flew into the dogfight.

"Stand by for zero gravity and rotation! Turnover in T minus FIVE..FOUR...THREE...TWO..."

Miyako's hands grasped the rail around the holodisplay as the drive cut out and the she ship spun. Her focus continued to be on the holodisplay even as the ship shook under the hammering of weapon fire on the armor and reports of desperate combat flooded the bridge.

"Begin braking burn, stand by for emergency military thrust!"

Gravity re-exerted itself as the engines fired and Miyako gave an involuntary hiss of pain as she collapsed to the deck under the force of two and a half gravities. Her lips thinned as she slowly pulled herself upright to resume her prior position.

"Sir, the Soryu!"

The display blinked to show Hiryu's sister ship, with oxygen fires licking among the blown-open compartments and with a dead drive as it hurtled onward toward the awaiting planet. Miyako stood upright, and took a deep breath, her eyes glued to the doomed ship and the battalion of men on board.

Her lips moved in a whisper as the screen faded to black. "Kishi kaisei."(I wake from death and return to life)

With that she turned and surveyed the bridge with a cold stare. "We are through their fighter screen. Prepare for drop to relieve our loyal samurai. Do we have identification of the traitors?"

The captain glanced at the data pad. Tactical analysis is that the fighters were from the Dragons of Teak and Jade. Although the Teak Dragon was ordered to fight the Jaguars..."

He trailed off as Miyako's expression hardened and her eyes blazed with rage and pain. Her words came out in a frigid, controlled hiss. "Both are here in contravention of the Dragon's will. There is only one penalty for treachery. Sho-sho Shodaru!"

The general unbuckled himself and saluted. "Hai, Coordinator-dono!"

"Relay the message to our forces. Ryuken-san will avalanche drop on the Wakazashi factory to relieve the loyal elements of the Sixth Benjamin, crush the Teak Dragon and establish a spacehead there for our heavy equipment. Ryuken-ni will act as orbital reserve to reinforce as needed."

Her lips curled in a savage smile as she finished. "As for the Dragon of Jade, their fate will be to be consumed by Ryuken-yon. Sho-sho Shodaru, our regiment has waited for thirty years to avenge the betrayal of Tetsuhara-sama on Misery by the Eighth Sword of Light. Our vengeance is now at hand."

She began to walk to the elevator to the Mech bay, gesturing for him to follow.

"Leave no traitor alive."
FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #321 on: 08 March 2019, 13:35:21 »
Who the hell is this?

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #322 on: 08 March 2019, 13:44:27 »
Miyoko Kurita is the daughter of Isoroku Kurita..and cousin to Omi.
FedCom Fan!

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #323 on: 08 March 2019, 19:27:31 »
AN: More from Yellowhammer...

Cat Fight Part 3

April 29th, 3057

Guest Quarters, Royal Palace

New Avalon

"Hello Katherine." Omi looked up from the bonsai cherry tree that she was examining in the apartment room that she had repurposed as a miniature garden. "I somewhat expected you to visit now that Victor-chan is on light duties and can handle some of your burden. I am glad that he can now be a pillar of strength for you, as you are for him and me."

Katherine walked over to Omi's workbench and leaned heavily against it. "I wish that I could come here just to talk to you. But I need your advice on matters of state. We just received word of events in the Combine that are... disturbing. If this continues, I will have to act."

Spoiler: Omi's bonsai
Omi closed her eyes and sighed deeply before opening them to stare into Katherine's eyes, seeing a matching concern reflected within. "Shikata ga na. The same reports no doubt that were waiting for me with my morning tea."

Katerine nodded somberly as Omi took up a set of shears and prepared to cut through a flowering branch of the bonsai that was growing in variance with the Keeper of House Honor's aesthetic vision of the whole.

Omi positioned the shears against the wood and adjusted them minutely as she whispered in a voice choked with unshed tears. "Dover then?"

"Ja. Dover."

The cherry blossoms on the branch fell.

------------------------------------------------------

April 20th, 3057

Wairdel City

Dover, Kajikazawa Prefecture, Benjamin Military District

The spring rains that day were black as pitch. Soot from the fires that had ravaged the city and were now barely under control in several districts as well as fallout from the nuclear weapons detonations at the factories in the industrial suburbs of Onyx and Kalkedony had tainted the rain.

Destroyed Battlemechs littered the rubble-strewn-streets of one of the major industrial centers of the Combine. Some were painted the camouflage of the 6th Benjamin Regulars. More were the charcoal gray of the Ryuken. Most were the flat red of the Sword of Light, the elite of the DCMS.

Tai-sa Kiyomori Minamoto gasped in pain as one of the faceless infantrymen in chermical warfare gear forced him along at the head of the column of survivors of his Teak Dragon and the Jade Dragon with a ungentle rifle butt. Fire sped through his body in a wave from where it impacted his broken collarbone from where he had ejected from his Hatamoto-chi just ahead of the ammunition explosion that had claimed Flower-gatherer and he half stumbled, his shackled hands twitching helplessly as he shuffled along in his leg cuffs.

A turn in the road, and he saw one of the few undamaged buildings ahead with guards around it along with a lone battlemech in the gray of the Ryuken. One of his eyebrows twitched behind his stoic facade as he identified the hulking 'mech as a new Naginita command Mech, with clear fresh repairs from the savage combat of the last three days to go with the soot patterning the three heavy missile racks that it was equipped with.

"Inside traitor!" With that punctuated with another rifle butt to the back from the ashigaru infantry he was forced through the loading dock door and gagged at the stench within. Merciful Buddha, what died here, it is worse than....

His thoughts whirled to a halt at a memory of a celebration after his decoration with the Order of the Dragon for his successful defense of Luthien. He had traveled to a vacation estate on Annapolis then, to live as his ancestors would as samurai on distant Terra during the Shogunate. The stench brought back memories of those moments when the wind turned there to the high-tech castle where he had stayed. It reminded him of the the scent from the fields where gaijin peasants used their own waste to fertilize the rice paddies in the traditional way with oxplow and hand carts...

A sudden stabbing light filled his eyes as the door behind the last of his men boomed shut. Blinking tears out of hiss eyes, he saw the dim shape of a large cistern where some sort of fencing had been removed from around it. A figure stood in front of the spotlight, and his eyes adjusted enough to see that it was a woman clad in the ceremonial robes of the Coordinator. Her amplified voice echoed in his ears.

"Put them in! Officers last!"

Chaos followed as with cattle prods, savage blows, and brute force teams of infantry grabbed one prisoner after another and threw them over the low edge of the cistern to land with a strangely muffled plop in whatever lay beneath. Called out prayers, screams, and shouts of defiance followed from it, and soon fell silent.

Minamoto stood stoically as the double handful of junior officers soon followed, until he stood alone. As the infantry approached him, he bowed to the shadowy figure and then shuffled forward to the cistern of his own accord. He spoke in a calm voice into the ringing silence.

"Kurita Miyako, I presume?"

A fractional nod answered him.

"That which blossoms/falls, the way of all flesh/in this world of flowers" he spoke calmly as he saw the vat of human excrement and sewage that his men had drowned in waiting for him. "I die so that the Combine may live. Sayonara, Kurita-san."

With that he dove headfirst to his awaiting doom.

--------------------------------------------------

Omi placed the shears down beside the cherry tree and took a deep breath before picking up a watering can. "I do not know what happened to Miyako-chan, Katherine-chan. I can speculate...."

Katherine spoke quietly, "Please do. Of all of us, you are the only person who knew her. If any of us can truly know someone else."

Omi tested the moistness of the soil in the pot with her fingertip as her brows narrowed in thought. "If I had to speculate, she loved her father...Uncle Isoroku... dearly. Seeing... what happened on Benjamin to him and Minoru-chan may have..."

Omi trailed off and bit her lip before carefully watering the soil. "Far be it for me to say ill of my kin, but love and hatred are closely aligned, neh? We both know, both feel, the demon within that cries out for blood, to feast on others' pain to satisfy the ache in our souls that can never be sated save with the sight of those who have gone onward before us."

Katherine nodded slowly, her voice shadowed. "Like I felt when I saw what happened to Kali Liao on my orders. But you and I both know what happens if our will loses control of our demons. Like Claudius the Cruel or Jinjiro did."

"Hai. Like Jinjiro on Kentares."

--------------------------------------------------

April 30th, 3057

Stratford

Avon

Nova Cat Occupation Zone

Star Colonel Sofia Rosse took her neurohelmet off as the canopy of her Mad Dog II unsealed. She breathed in the cooler air of the Mechbay then smiled at the two techs coming to assist her out of the cockpit after the all-day field exercise.. "The replacement hip actuator and left side fire-control linkages work perfectly Mara, Judith. They are as quick to respond as an Ice Hellion's ability to leap to conclusions. Unfortunately, my left side laser is tracking improperly, my shots were a half-meter wide."

The technicians smiled at each other as they helped her to the lift. "We shall correct the laser focusing. A message from the Khan for you came while you were on exercise." With that, Mara handed over a tablet.

Sofia's smile widened as she saw the scarred face of Trent - the reason that Sofia's Choice has needed the new hip actuator and the left side had to be rebuilt thanks to their duel last week where she had tracked down the two Stars that he had manged to lead in a breakout from the pocket where the Jaguar Cavaliers were destroyed. Claiming him as my isorla was wise, he uses his head for more than supporting his shoulders. He will make a strong abtakha for the Clan. She tossed her neurohelmet underhand to Trent, who automatically caught it.

"Assist the Technicians in their checks of Sofia's Choice, Trent. My left side laser is not zeroed properly, so I order you to take her out to the firing range and correct that under their direction."

With that command and her turn away to show a 'blind eye' to the ex-Smoke Jaguar's glee at doing a Warrior's work, she unlocked the tablet.

MESSAGE BEGINS
To: Star Colonel Sofia Rosse, CO 1st Nova Cat Guards.
Subject: Preliminary Orders.

Report status of the Hand of Fate immediately. Forward projections of strength for 10, 20, and 30 days after recieipt of message to Khan's office. Begin preparation and planning for assault on Meinacos as part of Operation CAT'S FANG WAVE ONE. Latest DCMS intelligence survey included as attachment. MESSAGE ENDS
FedCom Fan!

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #324 on: 12 March 2019, 07:29:21 »
AN: Cat Fight and the Dance of Dragons Continues..

"Heav'n has no rage, like love to hatred turn'd, Nor hell a fury, like a woman scorned"
William Congreve (1697)

Cat Fight Part 4

Davion Palace, New Avalon

May 1st 3057

Omiko Kurita smiled and kissed the cheek of the sleeping man next to her. Idly she brushed a lock of golden hair behind Victor Steiner-Davion's ear before sighing inaudibly. As attractive as sleeping next to the man she loved was to her, and as tired as she was; her duty, as always, was the greater burden.

"What is the most important duty?", she whispered to herself into the stillness of the night-shrouded room. Then Omi carefully slid from the bed, making sure not to disturb Victor as he slept. She closed her eyes as she slipped on a simple robe over her nude body and finished the quotation from the Chinese philosopher Mencius in a hushed voice. "One’s duty toward one’s parent."

With that she slipped into her study, nodding to the guard at the bedroom door, and booted up her computer. She then shivered briefly as she felt the warmth of Victor's flesh against hers cool. As much as Omiko Kurita wished with every fiber of her being otherwise, even tonight on the night when Victor had been cleared medically to sleep in her bed, her father had appointed her Keeper of the House Honor. As always, in the age old conflict between duty and desire, between giri and ninjō, her honor demanded that her duty must come first.

For the duty of the Keeper of House Honor was plain. As was the honor of House Kurita.

She must act to guide her cousin back from the brink of madness before it consumed her.

The computer screen blinked with the insignia of ComStar , and Omi clicked on the button to open a HPG message form to be sent to Miyako. She glanced out the window next to the desk at the shapes of tree branches moving in the wind on a moonlight night and began to type.

Although the wind
blows terribly here,
the moonlight also leaks
between the roof planks
of this ruined house.

Cousin.

I congratulate you on your victory over the Dragons of Jade and Teak. However, your HPG broadcast of the execution of those captured by the Ryuken, while no doubt educational to the citizens of the Combine, has caused consternation among the nobility of the FedCom. None here would dispute your right to the throne, nor challenge the Coordinator's power and right to punish her enemies for state treason. However, the mass execution of technicians, medical personnel, and other noncombatants was alarming to many on New Avalon and has provoked debate over whether policies toward the Combine should be adjusted if such matters continue.

Furthermore, executing skilled samurai who loyally followed the orders of traitorous superiors is wasteful, when the Dragon needs all the loyal warriors that she can muster to get revenge upon the Jaguars and the Black Dragon Society for their injuries to our family. I am no warrior, and you are of course, but our ancestors allowed such soldiers to expiate their mistaken loyalties in self-sacrificial actions against our enemies in prior conflicts.

I do what I can to rally support to your cause, but I am but one voice amongst many in the FedCom....

-------------------------------------------

Coordinator's Quarters, DCA Hiryu

Felicitous Travel Spaceport, Xianyang

Xinyang Prefecture

Benjamin Military District

May 12th, 3057

Miyako Kurita's hand clenched on the message the Pillarine Adept had given her as her eyes narrowed to icy slits. Slowly she read the lines that had been penned on distant New Avalon and then her voice came out in an icy controlled whisper. "I...see. Inform your mistress that The Dragon shall take her counsel and meditate upon her words. Now go."

With that, the Adept bowed and departed silently. Miyako waited for the hatch to close before her face twisted in grief and pain and she flung the message to the ground and stepped on it savagely. Her voice came out in a jagged-edged scream of anguish as she released what was inside her.

"'Moderate my actions to avoid stirring up trouble with the FedCom!' As if my dear cousin would not cut the hearts out of the slayers of our kin alongside me!!" Miyako stalked across the cabin to where her father's portrait gazed on her sternly from a shrine and grasped it, hugging it close to her chest as her hot tears fell upon the hologram that was all that was left of the most beloved person in her universe.

Gradually her voice stilled as she regained control, and then a savage smile blossomed on her face as she whispered in triumph. "No, her blood cries for vengeance as surely as mine does! The Steiner-Davions are busy with the remnants of Liao and Marik as always is too weak to do what must be done. The Jaguars have been broken to heel by my samurai as they count their dead, and that means..."

She walked to the holotank and reverently placed her father's portrait where it could observe her at work. A touch of the controls revealed the Combine, with the gray gash of the Jaguars' thrusting down from Luthien to their current positions at Bicester and Philadelphia. The blue of the FedCom covered the bottom of the map, while the dividing line between the red of the loyal and the yellow of the traitors stretched from Irirzun to Ijima as the Benjamin Military District bled over to Galedon. A touch of the controls caused red arrows to strike into Galedon.

"Yes, yes. Once the Ryuken have rearmed and refitted, we shall strike to Hachiman. The factories there will supply our forward base, and Chandrasekhar is on our side. Meanwhile, the other prong..."

Another arrow thrust down from Pesht to Midway. "I pull the remaining loyal units off the Clan front from around Pesht - the Jaguars are lamed and dying - and they take Midway. When Midway falls, nine in ten dropship yards in the Combine are mine and I can then consolidate to advance upon Galedon and New Samarkand. And then..."

Her eyes glittered like chips of ice. "Then I can make the traitors suffer as I have suffered. Father, you will hear their screams."

---------------------------------------------

CNCS Mata Hari

Pesht

Pesht District

May 12th, 3057

With a brief radiation bloom hidden by the emissions of Pesht's primary, Mata Hari materialized at the L1 point for the innermost planet. On board the Bug-Eye surveillance ship, Star Captain Jeanne looked around the cramped command deck, and nodded.

"All stations report!"

"Position confirmed, Star Captain. We have arrived in Pesht. Plotting survey burn now to pass us in range of the planet ballistically."

"Gunnery turrets standing by for engagement, no targets."

"ELINT board reads green. No radar transmission sources in range."

"COMINT is picking up chatter. Beginning decrypt of intercepted communications. Internal HPG is green."

"Engineering reports drive green, beginning trickle charge of K-F core, Lithium-fusion batteries green. Ready for maneuver."

"Optics report minor alignment motor issue with the telescope. Beginning repairs."

"Aff. Begin maneuver burn to put us on a hyperbolic ballistic course past Pesht III. The Khan took these ships as isorla after Tukkayid so that the freeborn Spheroids would not fool us again. We are the eyes and the whiskers of the Nova Cat and without us our strike against the Dragon will not go true. The Great Father and the Founder showed us how to learn the weaknesses of a target when they destroyed the Traitor Amaris and reclaimed the Pentagon Worlds. We had forgotten the lesson, but now we learn it once more. Prepare a tightbeam laser whisker to micropulse the message to Belle Boyd letting them know that their relief has arrived."

FedCom Fan!

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #325 on: 15 March 2019, 12:20:09 »
So the Nova Cats are going to conquer the combine

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #326 on: 03 April 2019, 07:23:10 »
May 9th, 3057

Salomek

Sarna

Capellan Confederation

The South Bank of the Grey River

“****** Parsons, double check those wires, I won’t have them fail to detonate when the time comes.” Private Mike Parsons had had his Sergeant, a black hearted fellow by the name of Tieth, all over him today since they’d awoke at 0450 with orders to blow one of the major spans across the Grey River. Yeah, but they tell us to wait until orders to actually blow the ****** bridge. Considering what’s going on just across the river, and what I am hearing come across the radio? I don’t think we’re gonna have any time to wait.

Parsons took another look. The flashes of light from the battle in the distance lit up the predawn sky, competing with the rising sun to create an otherworldly atmosphere. The sounds of the various weapons systems being used bled into each other, each type becoming a series of whines and cracks that hid individual reports, and just became a series of bangs and crashes. Occasionally, a larger explosion would occur, perhaps it was a ‘Mech losing containment, or an ammo explosion, this far away, who knew. Long as it ain’t me? Yeah, I hate being a soldier, and I hate being this close to the shooting, so why the hell am I here? Because that damned Vegan Rangers recruiter back on Demeter convinced me there would be more money in it than the Planetary Guard and working for old man Harper’s construction business. Well, two lies for the price of one I suppose.

Parsons continued to gingerly check the blasting wires as they led back to the explosives, which were a kilometer away from the blasting machine. He was checking He’d had enough required. And to check on the little surprises we left for anyone trying to cut the wires. Parsons grinned evilly at that last thought. He’d had enough of Salomek in particular, and Sarna in general to last a lifetime. I am going to see this place in my nightmares for the rest of my life. Just like dad sees Tikonov. Yeah, that’s gonna be a ton of fun. Parson’s father had been a Wasp driver, and had lost his machine, and his legs on Tikonov with the 6th Crucis Lancers back during the 4th War.

Parson’s reverie was shook by a distant tremor, then another that crashed slowly across the violent night. The tremors got closer, with the cadence of feet, and it wasn’t just one, or two…but many. Please let that be Gamma Regiment, his mind pleaded.

A corporal leaning over a sandbag wall to Parson’s right with a pair of FLIR goggles was scanning the far horizon. He cried out “Lance plus approaching, heat signature says medium plus. No recog flare!”

Cries of “Stand To!” rippled through the position, and Sergeant Tieth grabbed Parsons, throwing him into a shallow foxhole which was ringed with sandbags, at the bottom was a beat up old “T” shaped blasting machine. “Get on that demo, and if you hear somebody scream “Alamo”, blow it! Otherwise, do not leave that blasting machine!” Tieth said in a tone that suggested equal parts menace and fear.

Parsons gripped the blasting machine for dear life, and ducked into the hole. A gnawing fear grabbed at his stomach as the footfalls came ever closer. Parsons shutting his eyes closed tightly, as he repeated over and over like a mantra, God, don’t let me die here, don’t let me die here. Not like this. The vicious man-killing barks of automatic weapons fire began, some were deep and throaty, suggesting larger caliber rounds, some were a series of fast pops, almost like a sheet of canvas being torn, suggesting lighter rounds, the boys are really engaged in panic fire, eh? Parson’s mind idly noted.

Cries in Chinese began to get closer, and more frequent, and then a strange sound filled his ears. It was a hiss, and then a KA-WUMPH! Sometimes he’d hear a scream, followed up by a couple of rifle shots. Fire on both sides began to slacken, and die, and the metallic footfalls came close, and then passed, but the hiss and KA-WUMPH came ever closer.

Parsons began to wonder the nature of that sound was. He hadn’t heard anyone scream “Alamo”. As a matter of fact, he was getting worried he hadn’t heard from anyone. Parsons slowly began to raise his head…and the world exploded in a gout of flame.

Lance Corporal Zhou Chi-Lien, 2nd Company, 2nd Death Commandos smiled as he lit another Vegan Ranger on fire with his flamethrower. This one was too easy, and they dance so nicely in the flames. The Chancellor did well to send us here! Chi-Lien kept walking, sending jets of flame down likely holes. He smiled. The Davion lapdog mercenaries will not deny us. The way to the 12th Vegan Command Post is open. And we proper sons of the Confederation will lead our way to a great triumph. I’d better have the lads catch up before House Kamata leaves us…

It was dark, and Chi-Lien didn’t notice the thin trip wire of the Davion made M20 directional anti-personnel mine. Some 1200 ball bearings and scrap were propelled at a velocity of 800 meters per second, and collided with Chi-Lien in an explosive gout of flame, as they hit flesh, and the flamethower’s fuel tank at the same time, producing an impressive gout of flame that lit up the night as it consumed Chi-Lien completely, and two other unlucky to be too close behind him.

And on the killing went, but by morning, it was obvious that the Capellans had forced a beachhead across the north bank of the Grey River. Worse, it had pocketed 2/3rds of Gamma Regiment…

Sarna, Part 3

Defending Units: McCarron’s Armored Cavalry (all five regiments), Sarna Home Guard. (1st Battalion, House Kamata, and No 2 Company of the 2nd Death Commandos reinforce the Capellans in late April).

The arrival of a battalion of the feared Capellan Warrior House troops, in addition to a company of Death Commandos heralded a plan by McCarron’s Armored Cavalry to end the fight for Salomek once and for all. Both units lead an attack by the Wild One’s Regiment of the MAC into the seam between Gamma and Delta Regiments of the 12th Vegan Rangers. This seam had been hit before, but this time, Gamma gave way, grudgingly and bled the Wild Ones white. It didn’t matter, as by morning, the Warrior House troops and the Death Commandos had forced a weak bridgehead across the Grey River, sitting astride Gamma Regiment’s main supply route, and threatening to strangle two of Gamma’s battalions into surrender. But the Capellans didn’t have the reserves to exploit the gains, and the Vegan Rangers didn’t have the strength to crush the bridgehead, so a new stalemate ensued after the Vegan Rangers withdrew into a tighter perimeter. This time, their FAX messages to New Avalon pleading for help became insistent, stating that the Rangers had perhaps “36-72 hours before any practical resistance was doomed to futility.”

In other news, the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers reformed and hit the Sarna Home Guard again in their base outside the capital city. After launching a fairly successful raid, their luck held and they managed to catch the 3rd Battalion of the Nightriders strung out on a road march moving to relieve the Home Guard. By morning, the 3rd Battalion had ceased to exist.

May 11th, 3057

Salomek

Sarna

Capellan Confederation

9912th Federated Suns Mobile Army Surgical Hospital

It had been a rough 36 hours for the 9912th. Casualties had been flowing in at a prodigious rate the fighting all along the “Grey River Seam” as some had been calling it. Captain Joseph Cartelli, MD, FSGME was bleary eyed and dead on his feet, barely kept going by a mix of bad army coffee and stim shots. Probably far in excess of the approved army dose I bet.

And then came the news they’d all been dreading. Rumors had been rife that the Capellans had forced a bridgehead across the Grey River and that a bugout was coming. We’ve packed up and moved this MASH four times in the past 72 hours..and we’ve lost patients because of it. Not that it matters to the Capellans, now does it?

He ran his fingers through his thinning hair, and the crow’s feet surrounding his hazel eyes seemed to deepen in the mirror he’d been attempting a passable shave at. Fresh water was at a premium, so they used dirty water that had been used to clean the floor of the OR. It had been pumped in from a nearby water tank atop a building four blocks away by the most jury rigged thing he’d ever seen, but it did a good job. You just couldn’t drink it. But they had that handled too, so long as the QM guys did their jobs.

Just then, a short, ebon skinned Corporal, whose Adams apple was his most prominent feature, came running in with a message flimsy, “Sir, it’s orders from Vegan Actual. We’re to move out to new coordinates about six kilometers from here.”

Cartelli took the orange-white flimsy from the Corporal and nodded, after reading it, he crumpled it up and shook his head. “We have six patients whom it is going to kill them to be moved. I’ve killed enough kids today, Corporal.”

“Sir, orders…” the Corporal responded.

“Yeah, I know, do me a favor, call a formation in ten minutes for all those not currently treating patients?”

“Um sir, what should I tell em it’s about?”

“I need volunteers, Corporal. That simple, I have to ask some people to risk their asses to give our patients a fighting chance.”

15 minutes later

Cartelli looked over the small crowd of 200, less then half were actually engaged as doctors and nurses. The rest were a small army of those who maintained the medical equipment, or who cooked the food, cleaned the bedsheets, and so on. At this point, I will take bottle washers to do this job. I just hope this won’t be something that I am going to see in my nightmares.

“Folks, we’ve been ordered to withdraw again.” A chorus of groans and “Oh no’s” flew up from the assembled staff. “At ease people.” Cartelli said, but the order had little effect on the cacophony. “AT EASE, DAMMIT!” That shut down the twittering of the crowd, and it listened with the rapt attention a dog gave it’s master after it got a newspaper across the nose. Cartelli nodded “Alright, look. We train for this, we have already done it a half dozen times during this mess alone. I know it’s a lot of work, but it needs to be done. But we’re not taking all the equipment..or the tents. There are six patients who cannot travel. Most have severe burns, or head injuries and are in medical comas. One has a spinal injury. We cannot move them. I need volunteers to stay with them. You all know what that means. I cannot promise what the Capellans will do, or not do to you once they arrive. We’ve been hurting them as badly as they have hurt us.”

A young Leftenant stepped forward from the ranks. Her hair was in a dusty blonde ponytail, and her white coat was covered in stains and fluids. Her eyes were shot through with red streaks, and her face had a look of resigned “What the hell” written all over it. She simply stood, and said nothing.

Dammit Leftenant Shrobersham, why you? You’re my best junior surgeon. I can’t spare you. But there’s not any good military or medical reason to say no. Cartelli’s eyes met hers, and he simply nodded.

Two nurses soon joined her, one was a tall, gangly auburn haired girl who Cartelli didn’t know. She was new to the unit, and he just hadn’t had time to meet with her. The other was a petite redhead with almost albino skin, dotted with freckles. Sergeant Josephina “Joe” (you never failed to pronounce the “e” or there was hell to pay) Sanchez was popular in the unit, beloved and from a long family of military medical professionals. Sanchez was a consummate professional in her own right. She would stay simply because “it isn’t done to leave patients like this, sir.”

A half dozen other support staff stepped forward as well. He accepted three of them, ones most likely to survive being a Capellan POW, the rest, he ordered back into the ranks with his thanks.

“Thank You, whatever happens, you will be remembered for this.” Cartelli then dismissed the formation with a jaunty wave, and a smile he didn’t feel. I probably just sent 11 people to their deaths. God help me.
FedCom Fan!

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #327 on: 03 April 2019, 12:39:09 »
Now it is going to be 6 patients and 12 volunteers dead instead of just 6 patients dead.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #328 on: 03 April 2019, 23:30:58 »
are you sure? Only if the Liao command staff is willing to risk that...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #329 on: 06 April 2019, 13:39:52 »
The Mask make their own rules.

Register