Author Topic: A Reckoning  (Read 55962 times)

consequences

• Master Sergeant
Re: A Reckoning
« Reply #90 on: 06 January 2019, 14:21:31 »
A writing mentor of mine told me that my goal should be to writing something that generates a response in the reader. I seem to have done that here.

Destroying the Dragoons outright at this point is looking a gift horse in the mouth. They are bootstrapping the FC beyond what they could have expected. It would be much harder for the FC to get the information the Dragoons are freely providing from corpses and wreckage.

Does that mean the FC is happy with the genetic thefts? No, but they're willing to let it slide for now because of the larger issues. It's geopolitics and statecraft, which have always involved making deals with the metaphorical devil.

And demanding the AMC undergo a loyalty test is what the Clans would do, not the IS. In any case, they haven't received anything from the Dragoons except training - and the opportunity to see -WD and -I+ series BattleMechs. Even the DCMS received training from the Dragoons, and Dragoons instructors taught at AFFS academies. This AMC =/= canon AMC.

We are in Act II of a three-act play. I'm gratified that you are picking up on some of the issues, because this is the point in the story that they should be bubbling up.

And you are correct that there will be a price to be paid. Why do you think this story is titled "A Reckoning"?

This isn't a matter of emotional response, it's that rulers who let their subordinates get away with secretly setting up mechanisms to build their own private armies, create their own private cliques among the armed forces, and then start wars behind their backs before presenting it as a fait accompli tend not to have their dynasty in charge for that long in historical terms. The closest historical analogy to Jaime Wolf right now is Stefan Amaris in 2765, and they only have his currently functionally worthless word that he actually always intended to confess his actions all along.

Further, they can't put any Dragoon in charge after removing him, because each and every officer down to the company level either supported his actions, or stood aside and let them happen. Only Jaime Wolf dying is the completely unrealistic Disneyified Pollyanna version of how this is likely to end, and that after glossing over the Weaponized Loki War Orphans that would be assigned to every Dragoons dropship, presuming they don't just skip straight to the implanted cranial bombs. Maybe since Hanse is such a swell guy, and Melissa is so compassionate, they would settle for hostages from every Dragoon family to be kept under guard.

alkemita

• Sergeant
  • You have the emPHAsis on the wrong syLLAble
« Reply #91 on: 06 January 2019, 15:19:46 »
You're hitting the tell rather than show a bit.

Drak - Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful feedback - I found myself nodding in agreement with everything you said. And I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Since I'm trying to become a better writer, I'm going to rewrite that last part.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #92 on: 07 January 2019, 17:59:17 »
This isn't a matter of emotional response, it's that rulers who let their subordinates get away with secretly setting up mechanisms to build their own private armies, create their own private cliques among the armed forces, and then start wars behind their backs before presenting it as a fait accompli tend not to have their dynasty in charge for that long in historical terms. The closest historical analogy to Jaime Wolf right now is Stefan Amaris in 2765, and they only have his currently functionally worthless word that he actually always intended to confess his actions all along.

Hey Consequences,

I think you're seeing some things in my story that aren't actually there. And some of that appears to be due to my not being as good a writer as I would like to be - hence my soliciting feedback.

You're right that the FC would have had mechanisms in place to do a Base Delta Zero on Outreach had Jaime Wolf given the wrong answer to Hanse and Melissa in 3038 - and perhaps that meeting would properly have been conducted in a sealed room in MIIO HQ with the sovereigns asking the questions from behind BattleMech cockpit grade glass. I did have some allusions to AFFC forces being positioned a jump away from Outreach and other precautions being taken against a Dragoon betrayal in one version of the story, but I couldn't get the pacing to work. My loss, and by pointing out the illogicalities thus generated, you have contributed to my learning experience.

Whether or not Wolf backed the FC, and by extension the rest of the Inner Sphere into a corner, the fact remains that he intended to force the confrontation, and so they now have to play the hand they were dealt, and it will go a lot more smoothly at this time to have the Dragoons open cooperation in bootstrapping the AFFC.

Further, they can't put any Dragoon in charge after removing him, because each and every officer down to the company level either supported his actions, or stood aside and let them happen. Only Jaime Wolf dying is the completely unrealistic Disneyified Pollyanna version of how this is likely to end, and that after glossing over the Weaponized Loki War Orphans that would be assigned to every Dragoons dropship, presuming they don't just skip straight to the implanted cranial bombs. Maybe since Hanse is such a swell guy, and Melissa is so compassionate, they would settle for hostages from every Dragoon family to be kept under guard.

Okay, this part, if I'm reading it correctly, is your interpretation of how I'm going to end this thing. I won't spoil anything, but I will say I'm not a fan of munch fics where everything goes the way of the heroes, or where they get away with only a flesh wound. My idea for this story grew out of my wondering if there was another way for the Dragoons to fulfill Kerlin Ward's final orders to them, which led to some interesting second order effects and unintended consequences (pun intended).

I appreciate your insights and your continued reading of this story (even if through gritted teeth). I'm trying to apply the adage of learning more from criticism than praise, so I hope you will be able to say that the story improves as it goes on.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #93 on: 08 January 2019, 16:20:05 »
I am interested in how the WD is acting as a Bootstrapping the IS to be ready for the Clans and can they be ready in time.
I'm not sure we can 100% trust them, but right now the help is need to get ready.
The Proto-Omni "Classics" are a great 1st step.
It is interesting that Jamie's plan right now seems to be sic the Clanners on Comstar and then "cleanup" bothsides
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: 10 January 2019, 21:19:22 »
I am interested in how the WD is acting as a Bootstrapping the IS to be ready for the Clans and can they be ready in time.
I'm not sure we can 100% trust them, but right now the help is need to get ready.
The Proto-Omni "Classics" are a great 1st step.
It is interesting that Jamie's plan right now seems to be sic the Clanners on Comstar and then "cleanup" bothsides

Doc - more about the bootstrapping is coming up soon. Jamie Wolf is definitely pursuing his own agenda here, and you'll also get to hear more about his plan soon.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #95 on: 22 January 2019, 23:13:08 »
Post #59 has been modified. I will have to make downstream edits to resolve inconsistensies, and then I can advance the story again.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 22 January 2019, 23:46:47 »
looking forward to more of this story. 

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 27 January 2019, 12:37:33 »
i wanted to give you an FYI,  when you update an older post?  it does not let any know about the change.  if you could post a note that you have updated x post number that would be help full.  I like the way you modified the Black widow. 

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #98 on: 27 January 2019, 15:01:38 »
i wanted to give you an FYI,  when you update an older post?  it does not let any know about the change.  if you could post a note that you have updated x post number that would be help full.

I did - look two posts above

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 27 January 2019, 15:15:02 »
I did - look two posts above

I did not know if you had updated any of the other post, yet

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #100 on: 01 March 2019, 23:48:16 »
Port Shenzhen, Garstedt
Alshain Military District, Draconis Combine
August 11, 3040

“Meet meee ‘round the julah treeeee,
Bring meee all that saddens theeee,
And I promise, promise, pro
- chikushō!”

Chu-sa Seiichi Saito and his fellow officers howled with laughter as Sho-i Vargas took one step too far and tumbled off the stage in mid-chorus.

His attempt to rise was defeated by being entangled in the microphone cord, and in his inebriated state, he was helpless until some of his equally drunk comrades came to his questionable rescue.

The cheerful backing music continued on amid the laughter, shouting and cursing, making for another happily chaotic Saturday evening at the Sweet Melodies Karaoke Bar.

Saito eased back in his chair. He and a few other senior officers of the Ryuken-san sat around a crescent shaped table in a semi-private raised alcove at the back of the Bar. It allowed them to be part of the regiment’s carousing while giving their juniors social and physical distance to let their hair down. It was a fair arrangement, to his mind.

The regiment had a lot of steam to let off. After escaping Caph during what was now being called the “Six Month War”, the Ryuken-san had hoped for a reprieve to rebuild their battered ranks. Instead, they were immediately ordered to join a relief force for Dieron, which had been invaded by a joint FedSuns and Lyran task force. Letting a Prefecture Capital fall into enemy hands would have been bad, and Saito had been prepared to die to keep Dieron in the Combine, but by the time the relief force arrived, the FedCom troops had already pulled out after wrecking most of the military and governmental infrastructure on-planet.

The Ryuken-san therefore saw out the war on Dieron helping to restore order and assist in the reconstruction effort. They had apparently been selected for the role because civil assistance operations were beneath the dignity of the more senior and prestigious DCMS regiments in the relief force.

Indeed, those more “worthy” regiments had left almost as soon as it was confirmed that there were only looters and not enemy BattleMechs to fight.

After Dieron was deemed sufficiently “secure”, the -san, still only at fifty-five percent strength, had been ordered to Garstedt for rebuilding.

Yet their journey was not over. Originally co-located with the 3rd Alshain Regulars in Fort Dalmatia on the other side of the planet, the personnel from the two regiments did not get along and the local military police had had their work cut out for them keeping the peace.

Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed, and the -san were relocated to a reserve installation in Port Shenzhen on the other side of the planet. Fort Lushan was designed to host armor and infantry, not BattleMechs, and there was no integral DropPort, but no matter, the -san, in their usual close-mouthed fashion, stoically made the best of things.

Now in their third month posted here, Saito was glad to finally be able to go to work reconstituting the regiment. As the senior surviving battalion commander, he had been promoted to Chu-sa and made XO of the regiment, meaning that logistics and personnel was now his responsibility, and those jobs were easier to do when your unit stayed in the same place for some time.

Life had developed a semi-comfortable rhythm, and there were signs that regardless of how they were viewed by other DCMS units, someone in high command was pleased with them.

“It seems our new busoshensi are finally beginning to fit in,” observed Tai-sa Kansa from the center of the table. Like his senior officers, Kansa had unfastened his service jacket, an unspoken signal to all that normal military formalities were suspended. Non-traditional the Ryuken might be, but they were still samurai, with attendant social norms that sometimes got in the way of military effectiveness.

That conclusion was still anathema to the vast majority of their peers and superiors in the DCMS, so in typical Ryuken fashion, Kansa and his officers had contrived to work around them. Unbuttoned service jackets at a karaoke bar was the signal that allowed them to talk shop openly.

Following his commander’s eyes, Saito and his fellow officers watched Sho-i Vargas being helped back to his seat by two recent replacement MechWarriors from his company.

Two weeks ago, they had received eight recent graduates from assorted Combine military academies - and four former Sun-Zhang Cadre members. The latter could normally expect assignment to one of the higher prestige regiments of the DCMS upon the completion of their time in a Cadre, so their very presence was a message.

Saito grunted in agreement. One of the Sun-Zhang alumni was in his Second Battalion. Chu-i Suzuki had experienced quite a bit of culture shock at first, but had adapted well, even getting over his disappointment at not being assigned as a lance commander immediately.

Saito had watched Suzuki during training exercises and found him malleable to the Ryuken way of doing things. It was much the same with the other replacements. It would seem that High Command had actually tried to find replacements who would do well in the Ryuken set-up.

“Replacements are well and good, but we need machines to go with them,” countered Sho-sa Henry Uchida of Third Battalion. Only the Sun-Zhang graduates had brought ‘Mechs with them. He plucked the toothpick umbrella from his multi-coloured cocktail and pointed it at Master Chief Petty Officer Amaruddin. “Which is what the Master Chief wanted to talk about, right?”

Amaruddin waved a negligent hand in Uchida’s direction, never taking his eyes off the next singer up front. Despite his lowly relative rank (Master Chief Petty Officer being the Support Arm equivalent of a Chu-i in the DCMS), being the Master Chief in a ‘Mech Regiment was a position that carried enormous responsibility and unofficial authority, since he had risen through the ranks to his current position as commander of all the Techs and AsTechs that kept the BattleMechs running. Indeed, Amaruddin was the oldest man at the table.

Tai-sa, did they tell you where the new ‘Mechs came from?” Amaruddin asked.

The new BattleMechs in question had arrived two days prior on an unmarked Mule-class cargo DropShip. A whole battalion’s worth of advanced models not seen in the Inner Sphere since the fall of the Star League, the assortment included Crabs, Guillotines, Black Knights and Highlanders. There were enough of them to bring the -san almost to full strength, and the more powerful weapons they carried promised to make them deadlier at one fell swoop.

It didn’t take long for the regimental grapevine to go to work, and almost every MechWarrior in the unit had already petitioned Kansa for assignment to one of the new machines. One of Saito’s current headaches was working out a equitable way to decide who got them.

Kansa and his staff took the arrival of so many advanced machines as yet another sign that High Command was pleased with them. Perhaps because the Coordinator’s son and heir, Theodore Kurita was now Gunji-no-Kanrei (Deputy for Military Affairs), and he was known to favour effectiveness over tradition.

Now Kansa considered his Master Chief’s question.

“They said…” he began, then stopped, remembering. “No, the charge officer implied that they came from Luthien Armour Works.”

Amaruddin snorted. “If they did, then it looks like LAW has opened factories on Terra.” He reached into his jacket and pulled out a batch of multi-coloured tags that he tossed on the table in front of the officers, who reached for them.

Saito held his tag close to examine in the dim light. It was a work tag, universally used by Techs working on vehicles to indicate work done on components.

In this case the yellow rectangular tag, slightly frayed from being pulled off whatever it had been attached to, bore a ComStar logo in the top left corner, and the inscription read: “Inspected: 30371113, CG Fac4534, Terra.”

Kansa put down the tag he was examining. “I want the machines - but only if they are safe to operate,” he told the table, extracting nods from everyone.

Hai, Tai-sa,” agreed Amaruddin. “We will strip each one down to their frames to ensure there are no surprises.”

“How long will that take?” Saito asked, already anticipating the barrage of enquires he was sure to field from subordinate officers.

Amaruddin scratched at his technically forbidden braided grey goatee (Master Chiefs could get away with quite a bit as long as they kept their machines running). “If we go to fifty percent maintenance cycle on our current ‘Mechs, I can assign enough crews to do four ‘Mechs a day - that’s tear-down and rebuild. We can increase that to six per day if we go to three shifts, but I assume we want this done right rather than done quickly.”

Saito calculated out loud “Alright, so nine days to do the lot, assuming we don’t find anything… unusual. I’ll tell the regiment we will begin releasing the new ‘Mechs a lance at a time in a week.”

Both Kansa and Amaruddin jerked their heads once in agreement.

“Great. It’ll be good to give the FedCommies a taste of their own medicine,” Uchida all but rubbed his hands together in glee. “Once we have weapons that equal theirs, it will come down to skill again, and there we have the edge!” he pronounced, lifting his glass.

“Eh - not quite,” Amaruddin interjected.

Every head at the table turned to look at Master Chief Amaruddin.

“Explain,” Kansa commanded tersely.

“That’s the other thing I wanted to talk to you about,” Amaruddin said. “They told us these are top-of-the-line Star League tech models, right?”

“Hai.” But Kansa now had a wary look about him.

“Well, they’re lying, or ComStar bullshitted them.”

“How?”

“We tested some of the weapons. The extended-range particle cannons on those ‘Mechs match the range of the FedComm ones, but don’t do any more damage than the usual ones, so they’re a third less powerful than the AFFC ones.”

Chikushō!” Saito swore. “You’re certain?”

The Master Chief nodded solemnly.

“Are the ER-PPCs being regulated - do they have a governor on them that limits their power throughput?” Saito asked next.

Ie, Chu-sa. We checked.”

“Any other discrepancies?” Kansa reentered the conversation, leaning in a bit to be heard because the next singer was belting out some hard-pop number whose popularity completely escaped the Tai-sa’s generation.

“The double heat sinks we got are still the same as the ones coming out of LAW and not the compact ones the Dragoons use.”

Uchida sank the remainder of his cocktail in one swallow.

Kansa cupped his chin in one scarred fist. “So, ComStar is still holding back the SLDF Royal grade stuff, but the AFFC somehow got their hands on it.”

The grim looks at the table told him that his senior staff agreed with his conclusion.

“Well then, gentlemen - we had best start developing tactics to win against royal grade enemy ‘mechs.”

New Sarepta, Tranquil
Clan Wolf Territory
July 10, 3039

C’mon, c’mon! Fraser leaned his ‘Mech back as far as he dared while twisting it’s torso counter-clockwise at maximum rate. The air in the cockpit was hot and heavy - losing a pair of heatsinks earlier in the fight made it that much harder to cool off.

On the other hand, he was also limited in how much heat could now build up since his Gargoyle-Prime’s right arm, mounting twin highly destructive and hot running extended-range particle cannons, had been shot away twenty seconds ago.

Hence he was cranking his assault-class OmniMech around to bring his remaining weapons - all mounted in his left arm - to bear. It was a gamble, since he actually had less armour remaining on his left side, but he had nothing left to shoot back with on the other side.

His opponent was in roughly the same shape as him. Another 80-ton Gargoyle, this one was the -D variant, which carried a targeting computer to make its arsenal of lasers even more deadly. In a grotesque mirror-image, it too was missing an arm - it’s left - and Fraser’s sensors indicated that he’d also managed to destroy one of the torso-mounted pulse lasers.

Both MechWarriors were now in a turning fight. Neither had a manoeuvrability advantage, and the open plains they were fighting on offered no meaningful cover, so it came down to who could shoot more accurately and make fewer mistakes.

Center, Fraser told himself - employing one of the “focus words” Tom West had taught him to facilitate getting his head in back in the zone, where he could block out discomfort, pain, alarms and the neural feedback warning him that he was only a hair of a degree away from overbalancing the thirteen metre tall war machine.

Without conscious thought, he switched to independent targeting, and four closely-spaced but separate crosshairs sprang to life on his HUD.

Fully in the zone now, the quartet of red circles seemed to slide smoothly across the landscape until they crossed his opponent’s battered torso.

One by one the crosshairs blazed gold to indicate valid firing solutions. Fraser pulled triggers as they did, his Large- and Medium- class pulse lasers generating staccato-like hits across the other Gargoyle’s centerline almost too fast for the eye to follow, while his Extended Range Medium Laser went lower and struck around the waist rotation ring.

Even as he did so, his opponent cut loose with an alpha strike, flaying armour from head to toe.

Almost every warning light in the cockpit lit up, vestibular feedback from his neurohelmet confirmed what his eyes were telling him - he was falling. He had gambled and lost.

Just before he hit the ground, the lights went out.

Fraser slumped back in his command couch as the lights snapped back on in the simulated ‘Mech cockpit. The canopy cracked open with a hiss of hydraulics, allowing cooler air to flood the overheated pod. Fraser silently gave thanks for his full-body MechWarrior’s cooling suit.

While the canopy retracted to its fully open position, he unstrapped himself from the couch and hauled himself out of the simulator.

As he took off his neurohelmet beside his recently vacated cockpit - one of ten arranged in two rows in the room, he saw Cyrilla Ward climbing out of the opposite cockpit.

Stravag! I thought I had you that time!” she jabbed a finger at him.

“What?” Fraser was confused - she’d taken him out -

“We drew - you destroyed my gyro with that last salvo,” Ward informed him.

“Against a bloodnamed trueborn, I’ll - I will take it, Galaxy Commander,” Fraser shrugged, looking around in vain for a towel -

“Here!”

Fraser’s head snapped left and he made a reflex catch of the towel that Natasha Kerensky threw at him as she came out of the simulator control room.

“Well, Rilla - does your subjective experience confirm the objective data?” she asked her old friend while handing her a second towel, with only a fraction of her usual snarkiness, Fraser noted.

The Galaxy Commander stripped off one of her gauntlets and hurled it at Kerensky, who caught it just short of her face.

“There’s no substitute for fighting someone - you of all people know that, Tasha,” she shot back.

Fraser and Ward had just gone head-to-head five times, for two wins apiece and a draw. They had used different ‘Mechs  and different environments for each scenario.

He was only now feeling back to his old self. Under interrogation, he had answered truthfully - it was, after all, part of the Plan to give the Clans a true picture of the Inner Sphere.

However, his prompt answers had caused the interrogator to think that Fraser was feeding them a cover story, so he had upped the dosage, and discovered that Fraser was one of the three percent of people who had a lower-than-normal cardiac arrest threshold for these drugs.

End result - three days in bed, and a week of light activity only after that. He had been cleared of permanent damage by the medics, but had only been allowed back into the simulators in the last few days. He longed to climb into the real deal, but there was no chance of that right now.

Security around them was still tight, although a few more people had been brought in to serve support functions for their little crew.

Once he was back on his feet, Kerensky had talked to himself and Tulliver, beginning with an apology for not managing to avert their narco-interrogations.

Fraser had been surprised by that - he’d never heard Kerensky apologise for anything, ever. Tulliver later told him that Kerensky had been confined to quarters for punching out the local garrison commander - who had been a sibmate of Kerensky’s, no less - while he had been unconscious, but the pair had apparently sorted things out after a couple of days and several meetings that Kerensky was tight lipped about.

Whatever had happened, apparently they now had sanction at the highest levels of Clan Wolf to proceed with their plan.

That meant that Tulliver now spent her days closeted with a bunch of analysts interpreting the database they brought back with them. As an anthropologist by trade, she had adapted smoothly to this new culture. It irked Fraser a bit that Tulliver was now more fluent than he was in the Clan dialect of Star League English, even though many of the terms and phrases were derived from the military jargon that he was more familiar with.

And he was being tested. He’d been put through a battery of physiological tests, many of them familiar to him from his yearly medicals. Other tests were definitely not familiar, including an afternoon spent sparring against live opponents both unarmed and with armed with various melee weapons. Not for the first time, he silently gave thanks for the training that Tom West and some of the other original Dragoons had put him through. He also often wondered how his old friend was doing.

Fraser stretched, tucked his gloves into the bowl of his neurohelmet and walked over to the two Clan MechWarriors.

“He is no Ice Hellion when it comes to reflexes,” opined Ward “but it does not matter because his decision making is excellent.”

“Exactly, Rilla! And that is what we need everyone to understand!” Kerensky leaned in to poke her friend in the chest.

“Here among the Clans, he’d be assigned to a solahma cluster by now, given shitty equipment, poor resources and suicide missions. Of course those warriors can’t measure up to the next generations! They’re handicapped in every possible way, so their fate becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy!”

“I am right here, ladies,” Fraser put in, but Ward just blew past him.

“But your own data shows that he is exceptional amongst the Spheroids - not the rule. Benchmarked against our baselines, Fraser is only above average.”

“Ahem,” Fraser tried again.

“Those baselines don’t measure the benefits of twenty years combat experience!” riposted Kerensky “Otherwise, how do you explain still being on active duty at our age? And he just drew a five-round contest against a Clan Trueborn warrior!”

Aff, I know,” sighed Ward. She turned to Fraser. “You did far better than I expected. If you were of Clan Wolf, I expect that we could find you a place in our Touman.”

“Thank you, Galaxy Commander,” Fraser replied. “But to be honest, I didn’t - excuse me - did not expect to do so well either. I usually lose as many as I win against other Dragoons.”

Kerensky snickered. “Ah… Dechan, you did happen to notice that for the past few years, you’ve been pitted against the best of the Dragoons in testing, right?”

Fraser blinked hard as the revelation hit him. “You mean…?”

Aff,” grunted Ward as Kerensky’s smiled reached feral proportions. “Apparently you have been fighting above your weight for a while now.”

“Well, let’s go somewhere with refreshments to continue this discussion,” Kerensky spun on her heel and stalked off without waiting for the other two.

“Was she always like this?” Fraser asked Ward.

Neg. She has gotten worse,” confirmed Ward with a long suffering sigh as she and Fraser followed the Black Widow out of the room.

---------

The secure mess in the complex wasn’t empty.

Tulliver and Star Captain Mulligan were waiting for them.

“Galaxy Commander, Star Colonel,” the latter began, holding out a red-bordered message form for Ward.

“Thank you, Star Captain,” she said as she took it. Kerensky leaned over to read over Ward’s shoulder.

Fraser didn’t think he could be so familiar, so he just shot Tulliver a questioning look.

“The timetable’s moved up,” she answered. “You and Kerensky need to pass your Trials of Position in the next month.”

Forging the Pack - The Untold Story of Wolf’s Dragoons in the Reckoning
By Drs H. R. Cowan & T. S. Choi
Pub. New Avalon Press, 3068

By 3041, the disparate arms of Dragoon technological diaspora had reached the stage that an oversight organisation was badly needed.

Thus was born the blandly named Liaison and Coordination Group (LCG). Given the enormous and critical responsibilities of the LCG, finding the right person to head it up was not easy.

The number of people with the right qualifications and temperament for the job was small, even given the vast population of the Federated Commonwealth. Too, the position would require the successful candidate to essentially vanish from public view for the forseeable future, which culled the list even further. It was the latter requirement that ruled out the Sovereigns’ first choice for the role, Marshal Ardan Sortek. He was simply too high profile to drop out of sight for years.

With some reluctance, the intelligence community of the FedCom was tapped once more to fill the position. So many operatives and analysts were now assigned to protect Project BUILDING that intel lapses in other areas were almost inevitable.

For instance, Professor Fiora Challing has convincingly argued that the abortive so-called “Second Skye Rebellion” of 3043 would never have got as close as it did to launching if FCIC agents and analysts assigned to the Skye March had not been stripped to historic low levels in order to staff Project BUILDING.

Nevertheless, Alex Mallory, recently retired after coordinating the merger of the FedCom’s Intelligence apparatus, was appointed Chairman of the LCG, with retired Kommandant General Kasper Nowak (late of the LIC) as his deputy, and eventual successor.

On its formation, the LCG assumed oversight for all Dragoons related activities and projects.

Project BUILDING was the largest and most well known of the programs. Thanks to the infamous Gorrich Leak of 3059, we have a partial list of Project BUILDING sub-program code names, as well as some details on what some of them pertained to.

PILLAR was the ultimately abandoned crash project to mass-produce OmniMechs and OmniFighters.

AWNING concentrated on creating the infrastructure to mass-produce advanced technology items. This program would prove crucial to the coming war.

FRAME was the WarShip program, another one that was ultimately scaled back in the resourcing crunch of the early 3040s. By the Reckoning, the AFFC Navy would only be able to claim a strength of eight WarShips (six of them being Dragoons WarShips recovered from the BRISTOL Cache by Operation SKYLARK), with another on the slipways.

It should be noted that as an added security measure, anytime the project codenames were used in written communication, a randomly generated greek letter suffix was added, for instance, “AWNING GAMMA”. The suffix denoted nothing, but was intended to suggest multiple locations or sub-programs that didn’t exist. Where subdivisions of projects actually existed, as they did in the case of the OmniTechnology project PILLAR, the subdivisions were referred to by a further numerical suffix, thus - “PILLAR KAPPA-17”, which, as nearly as can be determined, referred to the OmniMech portion of the PILLAR sub-program.

The most secretive of the sub-programs, of course, was the HPG technology one. Virtually all information about this project is still sealed under 50, 75 and 100 year publication ban rules. Most of what we think we know is conjecture and extrapolation. Even the name of the program is unknown.

We know that cracking the secrets of HPG technology, even with the help of the Dragoons, proved to be almost impossible. Those few Dragoons who had experience with HPGs knew how to operate them, not build them.

Hopes were raised briefly when Operation SKYLARK returned to the Outreach system in the dying days of the Six Month War. While combing through the contents of the Dragoon BRISTOL Cache recovered by Fleet Colonel Issola Chandra’s Task Force, techs discovered a maintenance manual for a ship-borne HPG, somehow missed during the sanitisation of the WarShip Alexander’s data archives. To be clear, there was no HPG aboard the Alexander, although later investigation showed that it was highly probable that she had once been fitted with one, possibly when the ship had been used by the exiled SLDF to scout the Kerensky Cluster.

Needless to say, multiple copies of the manual were quickly made and secured. Despite lack of context issues, such as instructions to “close panel and run normal Boot sequence steps A to G as per Ops Manual Section 4.11.2”, it was still the most information any Successor State had ever uncovered about Hyperpulse technology.

By itself, it was not the breakthrough that the FedCom was hoping for - indeed, ComStar’s monopoly on Hyperpulse Generators remained intact through most of the Reckoning. The main thing it did do for the elite group of FedCom researchers, now joined by Dragoons engineers, was to show where, and how large, the gaps were in their knowledge.

In fact, the quantification of the “missing jigsaw pieces”, as one researcher put it, had the fortuitous effect of driving AFFC R&D investment into alternative interstellar communications technologies as they realised how far they had to go. Based on the events of the Reckoning, it is highly probable that the FedCom was able to implement a limited-capacity FTL communications network not based on HPG technology for AFFC use.

As large as Project BUILDING was, it was merely one of the LCG’s responsibilities. Jamie Wolf had promised full access and cooperation, and the FedCom intended to test that promise.

Intelligence and Military personnel, covered as Mercenary Liaison Officers, took up residence on Outreach.

Some of the Sovereigns’ closest advisors wanted the Dragoons sibkos to be shut down, for a variety of reasons ranging from religious objections to the more immediately serious fact that genetic material was being used without consent.

In a two part compromise arbitrated by Mallory, the Dragoons were ordered to cease using genetic material gathered from Inner Sphere sources. Going forward, all Dragoons sibkos would be seeded with material from existing Dragoons only. In return, a closed sitting of the High Court of the Federated Commonwealth ruled all Dragoons born from the iron wombs ineligible to hold any noble title in the Federated Commonwealth.

Nowak took the lead in negotiating the best use of the Dragoons’ combat assets. It was agreed, for example, that the six WarShips from the BRISTOL cache would be turned over to the FedCom Navy. One of the six would be stationed in the depths of the Outreach system, two more sent to guard the twin capital worlds of the FedCom and the rest held as a reserve and for study.

It was further agreed that from now on, the main mission of the Dragoons was to train the AFFC to stand against the Clans and ComStar’s ComGuards. No more than two brigades at a time could be hired out, and not at all for extended contracts.

Mallory and Nowak became fixtures at Dragoons command council meetings - the first outsiders ever allowed in. Mallory says in his autobiography:

“There was a tension in the air as Kasper and I entered the secure elevator at the heart of Fort Joshua’s main building. Colonel Patrick Chan, CO of Gamma Brigade and an original Dragoon, was our escort.

“His nickname amongst the Dragoons was “Old Stone Face”, and while he certainly did his best to be inscrutable, both Kasper and myself had made careers out of, and sometimes even bet our lives on our ability to read people. Talking to Kasper afterwards, he agreed with my assessment that Chan was not happy at all with our intrusion into the inner sanctum. This once again supported the prevailing analysis that Jaime Wolf was the key to the whole relationship with us. The Dragoons would go in whatever direction he wanted, no matter their personal misgivings.

“The elevator descended for long enough to make the silence uncomfortable, but none of us felt like speaking. When it finally came to a stop, we were deposited in a small security lobby, completely bare except for a duty desk to the left and four guards flanking the double doors to the secure conference room. Two of the guards, we later learned, were members of 7th Kommando. The other two, by their size, obviously had the Elemental heritage that we had learned about earlier.

“We were admitted without delay - the duty officer triggered the doors, which swung open silently. Chan preceded us into the surprisingly large chamber - large horseshoe shaped table in the center, with a podium at the open end, and a holotank beyond that.

“A dozen Dragoons officers stood behind their chairs, awaiting us. Chan came to attention, announced us, then turned and pointed us to a pair of chairs two places down from General Wolf’s at the head of the table.

“As Chan walked to his own place on the other side of the table, I took a moment to survey the faces before me. Behind the rigid military masks they wore, I could see resignation, and mourning. An era ended as Kasper and I took our seats.”

Though no one put it in those words, the new reality was that Wolf’s Dragoons had ceased to be mercenaries under contract. They were now an instrument of the FedCom state, and the LCG were their overseers.

Castle Davion, New Avalon
Federated Suns
March 19, 3041

The First Prince got to the phone on the third chime, before he was fully awake.

“Yes?” he croaked as he rolled upright in his bed, cradling the handset to his right ear and rubbing his face with his left. He squinted to read the extra-large clock display on his bedside table - 04:09. Unfortunately, being woken at all hours of the night was an occupational hazard of his position.

At least Melissa was spared the abrupt awakening - she was on her way to the Tamar March for a round of planetary visits.

“Your Highness, this is Colonel Marks in the Situation Room,” came the voice of the duty officer. “We have a possible multi-locale BLACK MAGIC indication.”

That code phrase instantly chased the last remnants of sleep from Hanse’s mind.

“What do you have, colonel?” he asked, reaching for his glasses and swinging his feet out from under the covers onto the floor.

“Three reports, sir. NAIS security patrols interrupted what appeared to be a burglary in progress at the Engineering Hall at local midnight, suspects fled and we’re looking for them. Then an hour ago we received a FLASH FAX about an attack on GUIDEPOST THETA two days ago that was beaten off - we’re attempting to gather additional details. Five minutes ago, we received another FLASH FAX from AWNING PSI about a similar thwarted attack on their site.”

Hanse bit back on the urge to swear.

“Alright, Colonel. Call in everyone. I want a full briefing in one -”

“Wait one - excuse me, your highness,” cut in Colonel Marks apologetically. “We just received a third FLASH FAX reporting an attempted infiltration of FOUNDATION SIGMA.”

FOUNDATION SIGMA was on Outreach. This time, Hanse did swear as he reached for his robe.

« Last Edit: 01 April 2019, 16:07:32 by alkemita »

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 02 March 2019, 00:31:47 »
man what an update. 

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #102 on: 02 March 2019, 02:44:45 »
Nice, thanks for sharing.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #103 on: 03 March 2019, 23:56:46 »
man what an update.

That was meant positively, I hope?

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 03 March 2019, 23:57:19 »
Nice, thanks for sharing.

You're welcome

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #105 on: 04 March 2019, 18:50:51 »
That was meant positively, I hope?

OH  YEA!!!

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #106 on: 05 March 2019, 09:21:03 »
The irony is that Comstar is being upfront in giving the DCMS royal grade tech. It's just that the DCMS thinks the Clan-grade tech of the FedCom is what Royal tech is supposed to be. I can forsee at least two consequences of this:

• The DCMS will develop tactics against opponents wielding Clan-grade weaponry
  • The Combine will distrust Comstar for providing obviously inferior technology.

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #107 on: 05 March 2019, 13:09:39 »
Glad the story has been updated.
Thanks for sharing
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #108 on: 05 March 2019, 22:28:49 »
The irony is that Comstar is being upfront in giving the DCMS royal grade tech. It's just that the DCMS thinks the Clan-grade tech of the FedCom is what Royal tech is supposed to be. I can forsee at least two consequences of this:

• The DCMS will develop tactics against opponents wielding Clan-grade weaponry
  • The Combine will distrust Comstar for providing obviously inferior technology.

Good points.

Also - the DCMS knows their new shinnies are not up to par with the AFFC, but does ComStar know?

Fyrwulf

• Sergeant
« Reply #109 on: 11 March 2019, 01:09:38 »
It always baffled my why ComStar thought they could be so cavalier vis a vis the FedCom. States that can only lose a war generally go out of their way to avoid starting one with a state that would happily provide curb stomping services if provoked.
"To Victor go the spoils"
-Precenter Atreus

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #110 on: 11 March 2019, 16:32:55 »
It always baffled my why ComStar thought they could be so cavalier vis a vis the FedCom. States that can only lose a war generally go out of their way to avoid starting one with a state that would happily provide curb stomping services if provoked.

Well, my take on the canon version is that they know they have overmatch in that they can not only read everyone's mail, but also slow the mail to a crawl. Interdictions are scary things to the successor states. ComStar has successfully bent successor states to their will using interdictions in the past.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #111 on: 31 March 2019, 22:44:30 »
NOTE: This update is a bit abrupt. It's the first half of something that just kept growing and growing, so rather than drag things out, I decided to post this on its own.

Fort Kemper, Outreach
Federated Suns
March 16, 3041

The preparations for tonight’s mission had been intricate, meticulous to a fault, and cautious to an unheard of degree, even by covert ops standards.

Six months of planning and activity since the mission had been authorised by Precentor ROM himself.

Precentor V Kalia Mustapha sealed the last seam of her sneak suit - the best that ROM could build, it cost more than most Light-class BattleMechs - and swept her eyes around the interior of the moving van, dimly lit by red light torches.

Getting thumbs-up signals from the other five members of her team, she gave a hand signal. Adept Wang, the designated driver and overwatch, killed the torches in response.

The low-light goggles worn by the team adjusted almost instantly. On another hand signal from Mustapha, Adept Harper opened the loading door of the moving van and exited, followed by the rest of the team.

It was three hours after local nautical twilight, and time for their mission to begin.

Mustapha’s Team Four-Rho was one of the best in ROM’s Covert Operations Branch. Covert Operations’ mandate was the suppression of technological advancement by the Successor States (and technically, also the Periphery realms, although the idea of technological advancement there was widely considered a bad joke). To carry out their mandate, they had blanket authorisation to blackmail, sabotage and assassinate.

Six months ago, Team Four-Rho had been recalled from refresher training and summoned to the Royal Sandhurst Academy headquarters of ROM. There, Precentor ROM had given them orders to infiltrate and destroy a newly-identified research and development facility on Outreach, home of Wolf’s Dragoons.

After the initial briefing with the whole team, Mustapha had been asked to stay behind - never a good sign.

Precentor Seneca did not disappoint. He told a shocked Mustapha that they had reason to believe that the Dragoons and their FedCom allies had somehow made multiple breakthroughs in weapons technology that surpassed the limits of Star League Royal-level upgrades.

The very thought of ComStar losing their place as the technological front-runners in the Human Sphere was a borderline heresy within the Order. Blessed Blake had ordained that they were the Light to Mankind; when the fallen masses of humanity realised the error of their ways and turned to the teachings of the Blessed Blake for salvation, ComStar, as His instrument, would be ready to pour out the blessings of LosTech to uplift and succor them.

Though shaken, Mustapha was fanatically loyal, and swore to Seneca that Team Four-Rho would accomplish the mission.

Due to the incredibly tight security around Outreach, the planning and staging phases were the hardest Mustapha had ever undertaken, by a considerable margin.

A direct raid was ruled out almost immediately. The orbitals were too well defended, and the Dragoons had a Near-Space Tracking network to rival those installed on capital worlds.

That left infiltration. The best option would have been to cover them as a newly-formed mercenary unit looking for work. ComStar controlled the Mercenary Review Board after all, and establishing their bona fides would have been no problem.

However, the security controls on Outreach would make bringing in their specialised equipment problematic. It would be difficult to explain, for example, why a Lance of Mechjocks needed sophisticated signal gathering and processing equipment. If they posed as a Special Forces mercenary group (they did exist), the equipment would make more sense, but would also draw unwanted additional scrutiny and potential complications - such as being asked to leave their equipment in secured storage.

That left going in covered as “ordinary” ComStar personnel. That had certain advantages. Team Four-Rho would certainly blend in. ComStar had nearly three hundred personnel on-planet, divided between HPG staff, MRB branch office administrators and a platoon-sized infantry security force.

There were also disadvantages.

Due to the barely-concealed antipathy that the Dragoons had for ComStar, not to mention the unspoken mutual suspicion between ComStar and the FedCom, the movement of ComStar personnel on Outreach was quite restricted.

By necessity, ComStar had a storefront office in downtown Harlech where people came to buy HPG access. However, the actual HPG was almost fifteen klicks outside city limits, on an arid plain devoid of any plant life taller than some hardy grasses and shrubs. A single road connected the HPG compound to a secondary highway into Harlech. Beside the HPG complex itself was an accomodation compound, basically a barracks by another name, for all the ComStar personnel on Outreach.

Those that worked in the MRB branch office and the storefront comms office commuted daily between their accomodation and downtown Harlech in coaches. Their movements were predictable and widely known. Any deviation from them would be noticed.

So began a careful infiltration process.

In ones and twos, Mustapha’s team had travelled to Outreach covered as HPGs techs or MRB worker drones. Once there, they spent their first few weeks actually doing the jobs that their cover stories said they did, in order to blend them into the crowd of yellow-robed Acolytes that did much of the grunt work of the Order.

Their equipment, by necessity, had to come in separately, and much of the delay in executing the mission came from the extreme measures that were required to bring in their gear.

Their sneak suits, for example, had been disassembled. The base artificial cloth layers came to Outreach stuffed into a container, posing as packaging filler for a HPG component. The components of the optical enhancers of their suits were shipped as diagnostic tools for the medics in the ComStar Compound. Their compact power packs were hidden inside a hollowed out industrial battery, a multispectral-scanner was repackaged as a multimeter - it went on and on.

They even had a brief scare when a forklift mishap at the DropPort caused a container containing some of their lockbreaking tools to be crushed. Fortunately, the damage was so bad that none of the specialised tools were recognisable afterward. Unfortunately, they had to wait while a new set was sent out to them.

When all was said and done, the only thing they couldn’t actually smuggle in were firearms. But, those were easy. The local ComGuard security carried Serek 7875D autopistols as their sidearm, and they simply appropriated six of them from the HPG armory. Even better, the weapon was nearly ubiquitous in the Davion half of the FedCom - it was the standard sidearm of the old Armed Forces of the Federated Suns, and half the police forces in the Sarna, Crucis and Capellan Marches also issued it to their officers.

Although they were slug throwers and not their preferred lasers, beggars couldn’t be choosers, and every member of the team was cross-qualified in a bewildering array of small and not-so-small arms anyway.

As it turned out, they had badly needed the waiting time to conduct reconnaissance on their intended target. They did this by travelling to the MRB offices, changing into street clothes inside, and then leaving again to carry out their surveillance. Thank Blake for hooded robes to confound any watchers.

Then they had a tight timeframe to put eyes on target - a base at the edge of Harlech - and return to the MRB office, get changed and leave with the admin drones at the end of the day.

Their painstaking work had paid off - a gully ran past Fort Kemper to a small park with on the shores of Lake Bolger, two kilometers away. Careful investigations showed that the gully was monitored by remote sensors, but nothing they couldn’t cope with.

Better yet, at one point, the gully passed within fifty meters of the perimeter fence, and at closest approach, it was almost exactly halfway between two widely separated gates with their attendant guard posts, which would reduce the number of guards they could expect to encounter.

They had their ingress point.

Mustapha kept low as she stepped out of the van, silently moving up beside Harper. They had extremely sophisticated radios built into their sneak suits, but were trying for extreme comms silence. The FCIC had markedly improved their capabilities in the past decade, and there was no sense in taking chances this close to the lair of the beast.

Reaching Harper, Mustapha tapped his left forearm.

In return, Harper gave the “all clear” signal. On Mustapha’s further hand command, Harper led the way to a steep-sided culvert hidden amongst the vegetation, followed by Mustapha and three more. Wang remained with the van.

It took almost eighty minutes, moving agonisingly slowly and carefully, to reach their first waypoint. Their movement had been complicated because the stream at the bottom of the gully, usually only a trickle, had been swollen by a rare rainstorm that afternoon, forcing Team Four-Rho to hug the sides of the gully. It also made it slightly more complicated for Adepts Sandhu and Feinstein to bypass the sensors they encountered, but only slightly. Sandhu had once hacked a security station while suspended upside down, thirty meters above the ground in a ventilation shaft. Four-Rho didn’t have their elite reputation for nothing.

Harper took the lead once more at the waypoint. Moving at a practiced, inhumanly slow pace, he raised a tiny, writing stylus-sized camera above the lip of the gully. A thin wire ran from the back of the camera down to a splitter. Two wires branched from the splitter. One was plugged into Harper’s suit, the other into Mustapha’s.

Together, the pair watched the feed that the suit was displaying in their right eyepieces.

Fifty meters away lay the outer defences of Fort Kemper. The set-up was stock-standard, driven by several millennia of human conflict. From their location, the ground was clear right up to a six-meter tall chain-link fence, with razor wire rolls positioned at ground level and every two meters above that.

Ten meters of cleared ground lay between the outer fence and the inner, eight meter high ferrocrete curtain wall. Lamp posts were spaced twenty five meters apart in the cleared zone, and a paved path for the sentries to walk ran from lamp post to lamp post.

Harper slowly panned the camera from side to side, then froze as the lens picked up movement on the path. A pair of sentries dressed in Dragoons urban camo uniforms and cradling Federated Long rifles came down the path, heads swivelling up, down, left and right, clearly alert.

Mustapha noted that one of the pair was just shy of two meters tall in her combat boots. What, she wondered, not for the first time, was the Dragoon obsession with hiring enormous infantry?

Harper tracked the sentries with the camera, estimating their rate of movement. They had previously left remote cameras at this and other spots around the Fort perimeter and gotten a pretty good feel for the patrol routine. While each shift seemed to start their perimeter patrols at a random time, after that, there was always a nineteen to twenty-two minute gap between patrols.

It was a piece of good fortune that a patrol had just passed their position. More hand signals, and the quintet of operatives started a 18-minute countdown in their sophisticated eyepiece displays.

Now Harper and Feinstein slowly popped their heads above the ground, moving at a precise rate that allowed the suit’s active camouflage technology time to adjust smoothly and keep them concealed. One more scan of their surroundings, and the pair pulled themselves fully out of the gully, belly-crawling forward toward the outer fence at the same maddeningly precise rate.

Mustapha went next, accompanied by Adept Henriques. Sandhu would remain behind as local overwatch.

It took the quartet nearly five minutes to get to the fence. By the time Mustapha got there, Harper and Feinstein were already breaching it, using a chemical spray that simply dissolved the metal wire.

As they waited for the spray to work, Mustapha allowed herself a second of satisfaction that their analysis was correct. Sensors in their suits were picking up infrared scanning sweeping over them, but the fence itself was not alarmed, probably to prevent false positives from the local wildlife.

Now Feinstein shuffled his body into the gap in the outer fence. For a moment, he had to move faster than the suit’s active camo system could keep up with, and he was suddenly there, visible. He didn’t look like a person, but the mismatch between his surroundings and that his suit was displaying made it obvious that something was there. It was a long second before the system caught up and he vanished from sight again.

Mustapha let out a slow breath and took her turn through the gap. Although they had picked a spot equidistant from adjacent lamp posts, there was still a huge amount of illuminated bare ground to cross.

Despite the challenges, two minutes later, they were huddled against the inner wall. Now Mustapha and Henriques took over the lead, deploying climbing claws and scaling the next obstacle.

The timer dropped below ten minutes as Mustapha slid over the parapet and dropped onto the two-meter wide walkway behind. A moment later, Henriques joined her, facing the other way.

While waiting for Harper and Feinstein to join them, Mustapha turned her head and got her first good look at the interior of Fort Kemper, orienting herself to the maps she had seen.

Two concentric rings of buildings lay within the walls of Fort Kemper. Below the curtain wall were low slung blocks, probably barracks and admin buildings. Between them and the inner ring of buildings ran wide service roads, which on one side broadened enough that it probably also served as a parade ground. As she watched, a flatbed mover carrying one of the Dragoons’ Badger hovertanks made its way along the near-side service road.

One of the large buildings in the inner ring was Team Four-Rho’s target.

Barely audible thumps signalled the arrival of Feinstein and Harper. Mustapha cancelled the countdown in her display and activated her comms for the first time tonight, sending a double-click of static that would let Sandhu know they were at the second checkpoint.

Once inside the fort, they could actually move more quickly. The myriad buildings and shadows they cast made things easier for the camo systems, if they were willing to accept less than perfect coverage.

Less than fifteen minutes later, the team was covering Feinstein while he bypassed the security systems on a loading dock at the rear of their target building.

Mustapha didn’t know what operative had obtained their target information, but to this point it had been almost flawless, leading them directly to where they needed to go. She thought a silent prayer that Blake’s blessings would fall on him or her.

Of course, that was when the first complication happened.

The door opened, and a janitor stepped out, carrying two large garbage bags.

Everything stopped.

The janitor stepped right past the team, not seeing them. He walked to the industrial bin behind them, slung the bags in with practised ease, closed the heavy covers, turned around -

And tripped over Mustapha.

The janitor was almost the size of those giant Dragoons infantry, and he knocked Mustapha down.

The active camo system instantly became useless with the rapid movement, and the astonished janitor gasped as a figure dressed all in black appeared out of nowhere right in front of him as he scrambled to his hands and knees, fixated on Mustapha.

It cost him his life. Henriques grabbed the man from behind and twisted his head viciously to the side. The crack of his breaking neck seemed awfully loud, but he dropped dead instantly.

It took three of them to stuff the body into the fortunately mostly empty industrial bin.

After checking that everyone was okay, the team proceeded into the building, now wielding the janitor’s security access card. Most of the corridors were darkened, which hindered them not at all. Neither did the obvious security cameras - their sneak suits made them invisible to the sensors.

Rounding a corner in accordance with their memorised directions, Mustapha noticed a secure elevator lobby, right where their information said it would be. That was not their access point, however. Passing it, they came to a halt in front of an emergency stairwell. This was where their intel ran out.

Feinstein pulled out his bypass kit again, but paused momentarily to look through the window inset into the door - he was the closest thing the team had to a chronic jokester. Mustapha rolled her eyes and turned to watch the corridor.

Five minutes and four flights of stairs later, Feinstein disarmed yet another door and the team spread out in another corridor on a secret sub-level of the base.

The corridor was actually dimly lit in red emergency lighting. It was also surprisingly large - Mustapha estimated that it was six meters wide and at least five meters tall. Did they bring vehicles through here?

It was also long - to the left, they could see the corridor terminating in a T-junction almost forty meters away, but to the right, it stretched away beyond the limits of their optics.

Mustapha gestured, and Feinstein moved toward the T-junction with Harper.

Another gesture, and Henriques slid past her to check out the right side of the corridor.

Mustapha started to follow, but a triple-click sounded in her earpiece. Come here, it meant, and it had to have been Harper or Feinstein who sent it.

Henriques was already backpedalling in response to the same signal, but keeping his eyes on the long corridor.

A minute later, Mustapha was stacked up at the T-junction next to Harper as he extended the stylus-cam (again plugged into her optics) around the corner.

Her breath caught as the cam cleared the wall.

This end of the T-junction terminated ten meters away in an armoured sliding door four meters wide and at least five tall. The words “TEST CHAMBER S4-01” were stencilled on the door.

But it was the pair of sentries either side of the door that made her pulse pick up.

The perspective funnel tricked her brain for an instant - she thought she was looking at BattleMechs guarding the door - but then reality reasserted itself. The figures were roughly half the height of the door - so about two and a half meters tall. No ‘Mech was that small.

Humanoid in appearance, the armoured torso was topped by a bulge - no neck.  The right arm, longer than the left, terminated in an obvious weapon muzzle. The left arm sprouted a wicked looking three-tined claw, and there was another weapon underslung. The lower legs were disproportionately large, with a bulge behind that calf that extended almost to the heel.

Harper tapped her arm and made the sign for a query - what are they?

Mustapha simply shrugged her shoulders, but suddenly put the pieces together in her mind.
This had to be some sort of Powered Armour, like the Tornado suits her team sometimes used, which had the same camouflage capabilities as the sneak suits, but also increased their strength and bearing capacity.

Unfortunately, if they’d wanted to use Tornados on this mission, they’d still be smuggling in components next year.

But those PAs, if that’s what they were, were ludicrously big - for a normal sized human, but, realized Mustapha, not for those oversized Dragoons infantry they saw all over Outreach.

Mustapha was still mulling over this conclusion when Henriques, who had the rear-guard, tapped her shoulder.

Captain Mason Calvados-Kincaid was accompanying the 0200 guard relief.

As the Company CO, he didn’t normally stand Duty Officer shifts, but Fifth Platoon’s Lieutenant Greiner got married last week, so Calvados-Kincaid had simply taken his place on the roster so that his other four platoon commanders didn’t have to pull extra duty while Greiner was on his honeymoon.

The duty officer was supposed to inspect each post at random intervals, and tonight he figured that he’d observe the shift change as well.

Like Corporal Juno and Private Hearst, he was suited up in his Elemental Battle Armour. He had been part of the R&D team that had worked on replicating the remarkable suits. The one he was wearing was part of the second production run they’d put out at the underground factory in the Outback, and it was almost the equal of the Clan originals.

He’d only worn it for a few hours to this point. Some of the older Dragoons infantry had told him that you needed between ten to twelve hours wearing and using any particular suit to get them seated and synched optimally, so he was taking this opportunity to build up his hours.

They left the Company armoury and headed for the armoured doors that opened onto the long tunnel to the R&D complex under Fort Kemper.

As they approached the doors, his HUD popped up an access code demand from the base’s security system. Using his eyes, he activated a keypad in his HUD and blinked out the correct code.

The system was satisfied with his answer, and the armoured doors slid open to reveal the long tunnel, lit only by red emergency lights, before them.

“Relief detail entering Main Street,” Corporal Juno radioed ahead to their comrades while the trio marched toward their post.

“Good copy, Relief,” came the reply. The voice sounded bored, which was both good and bad. Calvados-Kincaid remained silent - random inspections were pointless if they knew you were coming, after all.

Despite the dim lighting, the trio could see perfectly well, thanks to the low-light gear built into their suits. Wrapped in the same advanced armour that protected the Dragoons’ BattleMechs, they also carried a BattleMech-grade laser in their right arms, backed up by an anti-personnel machine gun mounted to their left arms. If they were going to take on BattleMechs - an astonishing idea for most infantry - they could also mount a two-shot missile launcher in a detachable backpack. And the legs of their suits also mounted jump-jets capable of lobbing them ninety meters at a time.

In essence, they were the ultimate infantry, and Calvado-Kincaid was honoured to have command of one of the three Elemental companies fielded by the Dragoons.

More for practice than anything else, he flicked his eyes to the top of his viewport, accessing the optical function menu, and began cycling through vision modes, watching the view down the tunnel change as he toggled them - vislight, infrared, ultraviolet, contrast enhance -

Wait.

He flipped back to ultraviolet, then infrared.

There it was again, just for a fraction of a second. A… smudge, for want of a better term, would briefly  appear at the right side of the upcoming T-junction as he switched modes, then vanish.

A glitch? Sighing to himself, he selected the diagnostic menu and ran a check on his optics. They’d had a batch of issues with the first run, and he’d gotten almost as good as the techs in trouble shooting the suits, but he hadn’t seen anything like this before.

System Nominal, announced the HUD.

Damn. With reluctance, he selected the relief detail’s comms channel.

“Corporal, Private, either of you having HUD glitches in enhanced viewing modes?” he asked.

“No, Captain.”
“Negatory, Skipper.”

“Okay - check out the T-junction up ahead and cycle through your view modes, tell me what you see.”

“Sir?”

“Just do it, Corporal, it may be nothing.”

“Aye, sir.” A pause.

“All I see is the tunnel,” remarked Hearst.

“Hold on,” That was Juno, who stopped abruptly. Calvados-Kincaid had to dig in his heels to keep from running into her. “There’s… something on the right, but I can only see it for a split second when -”

“When you change modes,” Calvados-Kincaid nodded.

“I see it now too!” Hearst announced.

“Okay, stand by.” So much for surprise inspections. Calvados-Kincaid switched comms channels. “Post Four, this is SHADOW-6 with the Relief. Do you see anything at Main Street Junction?”

“Negative, Captain.”

Calvados-Kincaid ordered the guards to do what he had done, and both detected the same odd distortions.

Calvados-Kincaid thought fast and switched channels again.

“LOOKOUT, SHADOW-6. Possible SNEAKER. Roll the QRF and lockdown the complex,”

Corporal Juno visibly tensed inside her armour.

“SHADOW-6, LOOKOUT. Copy possible SNEAKER. QRF is alerted, lockdown commencing!”

The main lights snapped on almost violently inside the tunnel - and a quartet of figures suddenly appeared, right where the “smudge” had been.

Sneak suits! Calvados-Kincaid realised, as before his eyes, the quartet began to fade from sight again.

Without waiting for orders, Corporal Juno sprinted forward, Private Hearst at her heels. Both levelled their machine guns at the infiltrators.

“Freeze! Stay where you are!” bellowed Juno through her external speakers as she advanced.

The pair of Elementals who had been guarding Post Four came out as well to surround the intruders.

Calvados-Kincaid sprinted forward to catch up.

“QRF is entering Main Street!” came the call over his radio as he drew level with Hearst and Juno, who was now calling for the intruders to deactivate their suits and raise their hands.

A beat passed, then one by one, the intruders turned off their active camo systems, and slowly raised their hands.

“Wait a min -” started one of the Post Four guards, and then chaos erupted as two of the intruders opened fire on the Elementals.

Calvados-Kincaid instinctively ducked, and checked his movement a fraction of a second later - pistols couldn’t hurt him. He tried to line up a shot on one of the shooters, but Hearst had already put five rounds in him.

Too late, they realised the shooting was a distraction. While two of the intruders had fired, the other two had sprinted forward. One smashed into Juno’s leg, then rolled clear.

Calvados-Kincaid barely had time to register a black ovoid object appearing on the inside left knee joint of Juno’s suit when the explosive charge went off.

It was powerful for its size - vaporising most of Juno’s left leg and taking a large chunk of her right. The blast sent sharpnel everywhere in the tunnel - Calvados-Kincaid could hear and feel projectiles clattering into his armour, while his HUD catalogued armour depletion all over his suit.

Calvados-Kincaid tried to track the intruder who had wounded Juno, but he or she had been caught in the blast too, and was now bleeding out on the ground.

The other pair of intruders hadn’t been as successful. Post Four had shot both dead, but their explosive had gone off as well, blowing both Elementals off their feet.

“We’re okay, sir!” one of them radioed even as Calvados-Kinkaid turned to Juno’s broken body.

Medic!” called Hearst as he stood over his squadmate. “She’s still alive! Medic!”
« Last Edit: 01 April 2019, 21:48:04 by alkemita »

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #112 on: 31 March 2019, 22:48:26 »
Forging the Pack - The Untold Story of Wolf’s Dragoons in the Reckoning
By Drs H. R. Cowan & T. S. Choi
Pub. New Avalon Press, 3068

In the aftermath of the March 16 attacks (it remains a mystery to this day why the attack on the NAIS happened three days after the rest), a fundamental reassessment of Project BUILDING was undertaken, with far reaching consequences.

The attacks themselves were the spark that lit the flame, but the catalyst was the grim-faced group that assembled at 0530 in the Tank (secure briefing room) under Mount Davion on March 19, 3041.

Hanse Davion had called in everyone on New Avalon who was cleared to know the full scope of Project BUILDING. The full list of attendees at that meeting is still unknown, but historians have able to identify at least eight of them.

Besides the First Prince, the others included:

• Justin Allard, the new Intelligence Secretary and first Head of the Federated Commonwealth Intelligence Corps (FCIC) - he had assumed his post only a week earlier, making this crisis very much a baptism-of-fire for him.
  • Marshal of the Armies Ran Felsner, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth (AFFC).
  • Hauptmann General Lydia McDermott-Chalice, Commander of the Department of Military Communications and Research (DMCR), who was on-planet mainly by happenstance, having come to deliver status briefings.
  • Baroness Baljit Dhawan, Director of Project FRAME (WarShip Construction)
  • Hauptmann General Kasper Nowak, Deputy Chairman of the Liaison and Coordination Group (LCG) - also on-planet for the same reasons as General McDermott-Chalice.
  • Dr Byron Hestic, Chief Design Engineer (BattleMechs), Blackwell Industries
  • Marshal Serenity Cardinali, Lyran State Command Liaison

Secretary Allard opened the meeting by summarising the latest intelligence on the attacks.

A total of five Project BUILDING black sites had been hit (information about the WarShip complex attack came in between the time Prince Davion called the meeting and when they actually convened).

The damage done ranged from nothing, as in the case of the NAIS raid, to considerable, at the GUIDEPOST site, where the facility that was attempting to reproduce Clan-grade autocannons lay in smouldering ruins.

Damage at the other sites varied. Due to security rules, we have no idea what ComStar’s agents managed to inflict at the other sites, although some references in the Gorrich Leaks seem to imply that an orbital factory connected to the WarShip project was partially vented to vacuum before the ROM strike team could be put down.

At this stage, forty-three personnel, mostly security but also including several researchers and engineers, were confirmed dead and twice that wounded. The final toll would be fifty-one dead and seventy-two injured, the latter number including three Elementals who had been saved by their battle-armour.

In return, virtually all the ComStar operatives were killed. Only two members of the Team that struck Outreach are definitely known to have escaped, and they only did so because they did not enter the black site itself.

ROM was immediately assumed to be behind the attacks. The motivation fit, the equipment carried by the strike teams fit, and they were probably the only organisation capable of pulling off such a large-scale operation.

Prince Davion apparently did ask if it was possibly a DEST or Death Commando operation, but the evidence did not bear that out. FCIC had continued to keep an eye on both organisations, and although their view was far from perfect, they were fairly certain that House Liao’s Death Commandos, gutted in the Fourth Succession War, had only been partially rebuilt at this stage and therefore did not have the manpower to hit five sites simultaneously, while the Draconis Elite Strike Teams continued to be highly active on the Lyran-Rasalhague-Combine border since the Six Months War, enough so that most of them could be accounted for, and they were all in the wrong place to carry out these attacks.

The uncomfortable, unanswerable question central to the situation was: How much did ComStar know?

Attacking R&D sites to prevent the recovery of LosTech was standard operating procedure for ComStar. It had worked well enough for them over the preceding centuries. And it was no secret that the FedCom was exploiting the data recovered from the Helm Memory Core - it also served well as a natural cover story for Project BUILDING.

So ComStar apparently felt that the FedCom’s technological gains had reached a threshold they could not tolerate, and had acted accordingly.

But their operation had failed. And ComStar’s backup plan was unknown. They knew that Interdiction was always a possibility - the old Federated Suns had been briefly Interdicted in the dying days of the Fourth Succession War, and it had been an unpleasant experience, to say the least.

To partially counteract the possibility of Interdiction, especially since their own HPG research still had a long way to go, the DMCR had put more effort into alternate means of interstellar communication. In fact, the information that they had received about the March 16 attacks had come in over these alternate networks.

DMCR was therefore ordered to accelerate the expansion of their alternate network. HPG research was put on the back burner, except for one area. Exploiting the knowledge of the Dragoons, more personnel were to be trained to operate HPGs. This was seen as insurance against an Interdiction, risky as it was. But when it came to maintaining Interstellar communications links, all options had to be on the table.

In consultation with those in the Tank with him that morning, Hanse Davion ordered that Project BUILDING be triaged.

In a way, the cooperation of the Dragoons had been a tainted blessing. Clan technology was theirs for the examining, but there was so much of it that it strained their resources.

Project BUILDING was in danger of stretching itself too thin.

The problem, as always, came back to time and resources. There were some things they knew they could figure out, with more time. And there were other things they had already figured out how to build, but required infrastructure and technologies they did not have.

The appropriately astronomical cost of doing all of this was also rapidly becoming a factor. Both Prince Hanse and Archon Melissa had made several “show the flag” tours of key planets in order to shore up support - without being able to discuss the reasons for their strange spending priorities. Some Lyran economic pundits were in fact asking if the Federated Suns half of the superstate was too much of a drain on the traditionally strong Lyran economy, forcing the sovereigns and their proxies to spend a lot of line on the road. In fact, Archon Melissa was missing from this meeting, having departed on another such tour through the Terran and Tamar Marches.

The criterion that was established by Davion and his advisors at this meeting was that only those weapons and technologies that could realistically make it into mass production by the end of the year would continue to be resourced as a priority.

Over the next week, every facet of BUILDING was assessed, and either deprecated or given increased priority.

It should be remembered that BUILDING’s focus was the wholesale uplift of the AFFC. The Dragoons had proven that it was possible for the Inner Sphere to produce Clan-grade weapons and materials. The problem was scaling up production to meet the needs of an interstellar nation.

As an example, Blackwell facilities on Outreach had been turning out Ferro Fibrous armour since 3031 - but only ten tons per month, with up to a third of each batch rejected for manufacturing defects.

Similarly, Blackwell built its first Clan-grade Class 20 Ultra autocannon in 3032, and could produce one per month (the breech mechanism was problematic), mostly by hand.

These methods were not viable for re-equipping an entire army, leading First Prince Davion and his Advisors to concentrate on what was viable.

Thus the die was cast, and the AFFC was shaped for The Reckoning.

The destruction of the GUIDEPOST facility fatally set back the autocannon program. Beyond the loss of materials and machinery, two senior engineers and a Dragoons technical expert had died in the attack. Thus the AFFC in general would enter the Reckoning fielding no Clan-grade autocannons beyond those recovered by the Dragoons from the BRISTOL cache.

The paucity of functioning microgravity manufacturing facilities would similarly doom efforts to make sufficient quantities of Endo-Steel structural elements for BattleMechs and AeroSpace fighters.

For other reasons, sophisticated ECM packages and Active Probes were also culled. It was adjudged that it would take too long to make them viable. In fact, the only systems packages to continue development were the Clan version of the Artemis IV fire control system for missile launchers, and the guidance packages for the Clan Anti-Missile System.

The laser weapons program fell victim to its own success. The AFFC had working models of Clan-grade small-, medium- and large- class lasers relatively early, in both Extended Range and Pulse models.

Due to the expense and extremely high degree of precision manufacturing involved, it was decided that there was only enough production capacity to put one each of the Extended Range and Pulse models into mass production. The medium- class lasers were selected, not without a lot of bitter debate. What seems to have swayed the argument was the concurrent news that Clan-grade ER-PPCs would also be going into production, thus lessening the need for the Large- class lasers.

The WarShip program was probably the toughest cut of all. The AFFC had been cautiously optimistic that they could find some sort of a counter to anything the Clans had in their arsenals, except WarShips. This was why Operation SKYLARK had been approved, even in the middle of a war - they wanted the Dragoons’ WarShips as soon as possible. The need was considered even more critical because the Dragoons had warned that the Clans probably would not respect the Inner Sphere conventions that JumpShips were sacrosanct and not to be attacked.

In the end, the scale of LosTech recovery that would have to be undertaken in order to make a WarShip building program viable defeated Project AWNING’s personnel. They instead switched their focus - there were a number of crippled WarShips of the old Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth navies still in existence. The AWNING team would now try to put them back into service.

In the interim, production of the Alamo nuclear missile was quietly stepped up, and selected Fighter Wings of the AFFC sworn to secrecy were rotated to remote systems where they practiced anti-WarShip strikes against Dragoon vessels.

The news was not all bad.

The development of Clan-grade Ferro-fibrous armour was actually ahead of schedule, to the point that Johnston Industries and Defiance Industries had been given licences and orders to bring it to mass production. At this point, the first production runs were estimated to be six months away (it would eventually take eight, with Defiance beating Johnston to the punch by ten days).

Clan Long Range and Short Range missile systems were also spared the axe. The Artemis IV and Streak packages were evolutionary extensions of Star League technology that were reasonably well understood in the FedCom military-industrial complex. In fact, the largest technical hurdle faced by Project BUILDING was replicating the lightweight launcher designs.

The Lyran half of the FedCom had been building Extra-Light engines since 3035, and this allowed the FedCom to get a headstart on understanding the more advanced and compact Clan XL engine technology. In the end, the engine team just barely made the end-of-year deadline, but only by lowering their goals and confining mass production to less than half of the engine models originally envisaged.

Double Heat Sinks, or Freezers, as they were known to the FedCom, were one of the first LosTech recoveries, predating Project Building. In fact, the NAIS had already distributed schematics of the Star League model to a plethora of manufacturers throughout the FedCom, who were making money hand over fist from it.

The more compact Clan version tackled by Project BUILDING relied on changes to the coolant formula that were not well understood in the Inner Sphere. With limited supplies of the coolant to examine for reverse-engineering purposes, there were some stumbles, and this important technology barely made the year-end deadline. Even then, contamination issues with coolant production kept full scale distribution of the Clan freezer from starting until mid 3043.

Finally, Project BUILDING was able to replicate two of the most devastating direct-fire weapons in the Clan arsenal - the aforementioned Clan Extended Range PPCs and the Gauss Rifle.

The former had already seen action during the Six Months War in the hands of the Dragoons. The latter had not, but all who saw footage of the gauss rifles being tested became instant believers. Quality control issues bedevilled the first gauss rifle production run, which technically ran it afoul of the year-end deadline, but such was its potential that the FedCom persevered with it.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2019, 21:46:10 by alkemita »

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 31 March 2019, 23:51:30 »
what about the WD factory  on New Valencia?

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #114 on: 01 April 2019, 01:13:37 »
Nice update!   So will the FC get a chance to study the Comstar Sneaksuits?

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #115 on: 01 April 2019, 13:20:39 »
Any status on double heat sinks and the compactness and mass availability thereof: this would solve so many issues if a plug-in replacement for single heat sinks were available en masse and able to produced at at least one site per PDZ/March ...  8)  :drool:

Nice Update - something for everyone and everything for all. Well done!  :thumbsup:

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #116 on: 01 April 2019, 16:09:21 »
what about the WD factory  on New Valencia?

I was under the impression that the WD factory on New Valencia was packed up and moved with them when they switched employers.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #117 on: 01 April 2019, 16:09:55 »
Nice update!   So will the FC get a chance to study the Comstar Sneaksuits?

Bits and pieces of them, anyway.

alkemita

• Sergeant
« Reply #118 on: 01 April 2019, 16:11:22 »
Any status on double heat sinks and the compactness and mass availability thereof: this would solve so many issues if a plug-in replacement for single heat sinks were available en masse and able to produced at at least one site per PDZ/March ...  8)  :drool:

Man, I was so tired when I posted this last night I dropped the paragraph about DHS. I'll go back and edit when I have the chance.

Nice Update - something for everyone and everything for all. Well done!  :thumbsup:

Thank you. Glad you're enjoying the story.

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #119 on: 01 April 2019, 16:30:33 »
Really like the details of this last post.
The problem with reactive camouflage is any light source will cause shadows to any 3 dimensional object.
Eg.
You might look like a brick wall, but you will still cast a shadow as a man shaped object.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”