Author Topic: Good as Gold  (Read 13962 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Re: Good as Gold
« Reply #60 on: 27 January 2019, 03:41:12 »
32. Companionship

Above the spaceport, it was raining. Raining so hard it looked like the water wasn’t moving at all, just steady solid streams of it, falling eternally. Raining like it really meant it, like the weather had something to prove. You want rain? Yeah, watch this. Distant thunder boomed, the real stuff, not man-made.

The landing field stood deserted under the steady lashing, but for the residue of war, the tailings from its mining into human misery: Burned out shells of tanks, scattered bodies, shell casings, shards of BattleMech armor, all smeared into forgotten anonymity by the downpour.

The Mjolnir emerged from the sky-suspended sheets like an iceberg before a cruise liner, dark, misshapen and deadly. It paused before the wreck of the Banshee, and Sebastian Gore climbed down with slow, deliberate steps.

The gold, platinum and palladium bricks were gone, disappeared into the pockets and rucksacks of a few thousand infantrymen, rebels and Way City refugees, leaving only the hardening pools of melted metal, swirled and congealed together like exotic ice cream. A figure sat on the Banshee’s leering, skull-faced head, her knees drawn up to her chest.

“Did we win?” asked Danica.

Sebastian laughed, maybe cried a little too, though in the rain even he wasn’t sure. “Oh yeah,” he agreed. “A great victory. One for the record books.”

“Gold’s gone. And the DropShip. Xixi. Shinobu?”

Sebastian wearily shook his head. “Just you and me.”

“How disgustingly romantic.”

“If Ah’d known this is what turned you on, Ah’d’ve fracked everything up much sooner.” Sebastian sighed, tried to push wet hair out of his face. The downpour would have none of it though, kept plastering it down again, turning the simply gesture into a Sisyphean task.

“Danica! Sebastian!”

They both turned in the direction of the voice. There, hobbling from the rain, stood a battered but beaming Zeke Fallon, wearing what appeared to be a sodden pair of flannel pajamas.

“Hey guys! I’m alive,” Zeke said brightly. “Got into an escape pod before the ship blew.”

Sebastian regarded him for a moment. “Of course you did,” he said.

“I must be the luckiest man in the galaxy!”

“We live in a world of miracles.”

“Xiao?” Danica asked, but Zeke’s face darkened, and he shook his head.

“They had her tied up,” he said. “Wasn’t time.”

“I oughta,” snarled Danica, then clamped her mouth shut and looked away. Took a deep breath and looked at Sebastian. “No ship. No contract. No gold. What now?”

“Here,” said Sebastian, and threw a canvas bag up to her. She snagged it one-handed by the strap. It rattled and tinkled when she caught it, and the sides were full of hard edges.

“What’s this?”

“Worth more than gold,” he explained. “Take my ’Mech, pick up yours from the palace, hide out until the Feddies get here. They will, just a matter of time. Get them to take you back. Sell those, buy whatever you want. A trip to the Magistracy, enough smoke to knock out a Tigress Tectonic Leviathan, whatever.”

Danica opened the bag and looked inside, and saw the packed and glowing surfaces gleaming back at her, a bag full of tiny little ghosts. It took a moment for her brain to catch up to what Sebastian had just said. “You’re not coming?”

“Naw,” Sebastian said. “Got business Ah gotta finish here.” He waved to the Mjolnir. “Go on now, go. Before the Cappies get their heads together and come back to investigate. Go. Please, pretty please Dani. Just go.”

Danica slowly stood up, slid down from the Banshee’s head. Landed right in front of Sebastian, just a breath and a touch away.

Slowly, agonizingly slowly, she did not move to touch him.

“I saw your record, Seb.” She blurted suddenly, watching his eyes carefully. “Your real one. The 3rd Marik Militia. Anton's rebellion: The Berenson Burner, the Bastard of Bernardo. You do what they say you did?”

“What, that I did young and stupid things when I was young and stupid? Guilty. Fresh out of the academy, in a unit commanded by the Captain-General’s own son, a unit previously commanded by the C-G’s brother? That was everything I’d ever wanted out of life.” Sebastian smiled sadly. “Wanted nothing more than to fight for a cause with my brothers at my side.

"Careful what you wish for, huh?”

“I wish—” Danica stood frozen for a long moment.

The rain filled the silence between them.

Zeke shifted his feet uncomfortably, shivering, clapping his arms to his sides (“Hey, we going guys or what?”).

They ignored him.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 27 January 2019, 03:46:47 »
33. Revenge

HPG Compound, Anchor City
Ingress, Capellan Confederation
27 April, 3026 (Terran Standard)/5724 (Capellan Calendar)

Adept Levato strolled out onto the stone balcony, a drink in her hand. The HPG facility compound was by the seaside, and the balcony looked out over what the natives had—with their usual monosyllabic panache—descriptively named the Wet Ocean. There was a wide railing in aged and carved stone, clinging vine plants wrapped around its pillars. A couple of deck chairs. A cool ocean breeze, bringing the sounds of the restless surf slowly, ever so slowly, wearing away at the beach below. Fat wet-navy freighters clung to the horizon, almost immobile with distance, so that you had to look away to notice they’d moved.

The sun was setting, its golden light breaking and dissolving into smears of orange and red that spanned the horizon.

“Lovely, isn’t it?”

Levato stiffened but did not turn immediately. She swirled the drink in her hand, admiring the way the copper liquid caught and trapped the light, and transformed its own shimmering surface into gold. “Don’t you mean, ‘Lovely ain’t it’ Commander Gordon?” She did turn then, and saw him sprawled loosely in one of her deck chairs, one leg thrown carelessly over a knee, a pistol resting on his lap. “Your accent is slipping.”

“Is it? Can hardly tell anymore. Lie to yourself for long enough, it gets so you can barely remember who you are.” He cocked his head at her. “Ain’t that raht, Adept Levato?”

He didn’t threaten her or tell her not to scream, and Levato appreciated that. Let them end this like adults. She leaned against the railing behind her, putting the sea and its bottomless, endless sunset at her back and setting down her drink. “You spoke with Zlato?”

Sebastian picked up the pistol from his lap, extracted the magazine and inspected it, then snicked it back into place. “Mmhmm,” he said, punctuating his reply with the metallic click of the pistol’s safety.

“You should know we have our reasons. If you’d just—”

Sebastian sighed and pointed the pistol at her, still held carelessly in his lap. “I don’t care,” he said. “We’ve all got reasons, all got things we want. Can’t all get them. That’s what war is: deciding who gets to get what they want, who has to do without.”

“And what do you want?”

He smiled tightly. “I want to get to decide what I want.”

“Only that? So small a thing for the unsung hero of Ingress. You know, I have a better idea, of a more fitting reward. All it will take is one message from me.”

Sebastian chuckled. “I think by now we’ve established how little I care about money. And you, m’dear, have sent your last HPG message.”

“I have?” And she smiled. That smile he’d seen, the first day he met her. The wolf’s smile. “There’s a message in my pocket now, to be sent with this evening’s transmission. You might find it interesting. If I may?” She moved her hand slowly towards the pocket in her robe. Sebastian’s eyes narrowed, but he did not fire, nor tell her to stop. Levato withdrew a square of printout paper, neatly folded, creases sharp enough to cut.

The paper crackled in the silence as Levato unfolded it. She cleared her throat.

“To: Duncan Marik, Commander, Marik Militia, From: ComStar Truth and Reconciliation Committee into Anton’s Rebellion, Re: Pardon for Civil War Officer. It is the finding of the committee that Sebastian Gordon, Lieutenant Junior Grade, formerly of the 3rd Marik Militia is innocent of all charges made against him. Accordingly, it is our recommendation that his dishonorable discharge should be stricken from his record, and he should be immediately reinstated to his former rank, with back pay owing. Yours, etcetera, Olivia Levato, Adept.”

Levato watched the man carefully, but he seemed carved from the same stone as the parapet. She stretched out one arm, lazy as a cat, and dangled the paper over the edge of the balcony. “Well?”

Sebastian snapped back to the present, blinked at her. “Well? Well, well, well.” He smiled, a mocking smile, but the mockery was aimed at himself. “I think this is where I’m supposed to say I don’t care and pull the trigger anyhow, but.”

He clicked the safety back on the pistol, and returned it to a shoulder holster under his armpit.

“We all got things we want.” A thought occurred, and he nodded to himself, the slow light of understanding dawning across his features. “You had that message all along. Back when we first met, at the bank. You had no way to know we’d pull a stunt like that, but you’d arranged to come to meet us anyway. And I was stupid enough to hand you the perfect blackmail material.”

Levato said nothing, but took three fingers from the paper, so that it fluttered in the breeze between just her index finger and thumb.

“Deal. So. I go back to the League, and in return I keep my mouth shut about Ingress.”

Levato withdrew the paper from the edge of the balcony. “Precisely.” Folded it again, each edge ruler straight. “We did not get everything we hoped, but then, nobody did, I think. You can’t always get everything you want. We are realists, Commander … or should I say Lieutenant Gordon? We will keep our side of the bargain. I hope we can trust you to keep your word.”

“Aw now Levato, that hurts mah pride,” Sebastian stretched, then placed his hands on the arms of the chair and thrust himself to his feet. Fished a pair of sepia sunglasses from a pocket and slipped them on.

He grinned, and his distorted reflection in Levato’s dark eyes grinned back. “Mah word is good as gold.”

THE END
« Last Edit: 27 January 2019, 19:10:29 by Dubble_g »
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #62 on: 27 January 2019, 06:32:05 »
Great ending.  Thanks for sharing.  Can you post a link to a PDF?  I want this for my archive.

There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 27 January 2019, 17:04:02 »
Unexpected but very interesting ending. :beer:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 27 January 2019, 17:27:41 »
Interesting ending and not what I saw coming
 :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #65 on: 27 January 2019, 18:02:43 »
It has been a pleasure, Sir.  :thumbsup:

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: 27 January 2019, 19:37:19 »
Great ending.  Thanks for sharing.  Can you post a link to a PDF?  I want this for my archive.

Yeah, I've banged together a cover image (amateur hour on Adobe Illustrator, sorry guys) and put it up on my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7jrhl7o50dpg2e/Gold.pdf

The ending is meant to tie back to the overall theme of the story, about greed, the different types of greed that exist, on the danger of letting your wants/desires control you. Each of the main and secondary characters wants something (Danica & Mutai: respect, Shinobu: honor/redemption, Zeke: drugs, Atom: praise, Zlato: to do good/be right, Mikayel: to be a hero/a martyr, Leyan: wealth, Khitai: control, Liu: companionship, etc.), and things get screwed up when they get what they think they want. At the end, I'm trying to show Seb is in control of his desires, rather than being controlled-he's consciously picking & choosing what he wants rather than being driven by it.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #67 on: 28 January 2019, 08:57:52 »
Yeah, I've banged together a cover image (amateur hour on Adobe Illustrator, sorry guys) and put it up on my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7jrhl7o50dpg2e/Gold.pdf

The ending is meant to tie back to the overall theme of the story, about greed, the different types of greed that exist, on the danger of letting your wants/desires control you. Each of the main and secondary characters wants something (Danica & Mutai: respect, Shinobu: honor/redemption, Zeke: drugs, Atom: praise, Zlato: to do good/be right, Mikayel: to be a hero/a martyr, Leyan: wealth, Khitai: control, Liu: companionship, etc.), and things get screwed up when they get what they think they want. At the end, I'm trying to show Seb is in control of his desires, rather than being controlled-he's consciously picking & choosing what he wants rather than being driven by it.

You could argue, though, that Shinobu also got a "good" ending - or at least the best ending he could get in his situation - by picking and choosing: He decided to try and do the right thing, even if it costs his life, rather than continue to associate with people like Seb.

You could even consider his final encounter with Atom as a form of sepukku - he couldn´t kill himself with the sword any more, so he used his sword to force Atom to do that for him.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 28 January 2019, 13:24:22 »
Thank you for the PDF  :D

Again: a really nice and well-written tale!  :thumbsup:

Are you planning a sequel or a prequel: Sebastian Gordon certainly has possibilities there ...

Esskatze

• Corporal
« Reply #69 on: 28 January 2019, 17:55:15 »
I second that. You could make a prequel detailing Sebastian's misfortunes interesting to read. Or give us an entirely different story. I don't really care, just don't make us wait as long as last time.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: 28 January 2019, 19:24:58 »
You could argue, though, that Shinobu also got a "good" ending - or at least the best ending he could get in his situation
You're right. By his own standards, at least, he gets a good ending.

Are you planning a sequel or a prequel: Sebastian Gordon certainly has possibilities there ...
Thanks to both you and Esskatze for the encouragement. Asking me right after I finish a story is probably the wrong time though. After I do one of these I always feel weirdly down and drained, like I'm never sure if I'm ever going to have the energy or inspiration to write anything again... Mind you, I thought I was done with BT fanfiction for good a couple of months ago, and then ended up scribbling this over the holidays. So you never know.

BTW I've finally gotten organized enough to post this one to my archive: https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

In other shamelessly self-promotional news I see Blaine Pardoe has a new book coming about Clan Smoke Jaguar (https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2019/01/28/forever-faithful-is-available-for-pre-order/)  ... to put yourself in the mood, why not read this absolutely free fanfiction about the post-annihilation Smoke Jaguars by an eager, dynamic, fresh-faced new writer who is actually none of those things but NEVER MIND here's the damn link:

http://one-way-mirror.blogspot.com/p/climb.html

Motsognir

• Sergeant
  • And so there I was...
« Reply #71 on: 29 January 2019, 05:40:15 »
Just got finished catching up on your great story Dubble_g. Thank you, your work is always very entertaining!

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #72 on: 29 January 2019, 13:15:06 »
No pressure, no worries: Seb Gordon has a lot of potential as a character: i am seeing another Dmitri Dyubichev ... just saying  :)

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 29 January 2019, 18:06:44 »
Thank you!  This story is definitely one I'll re-read again.  :thumbsup:
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #74 on: 01 February 2019, 13:48:45 »
As always, I need a cigarette and a shot of whiskey after finishing that, and I neither smoke nor drink.
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #75 on: 02 February 2019, 01:24:39 »
As always, I need a cigarette and a shot of whiskey after finishing that, and I neither smoke nor drink.

I can think of no higher praise for my writing than "It drove me to drink"  :P

Thanks also to Mike & Motsognir.

Working on a non-BT thing now... Rapierpunk, sort of Coen Brothers or Richard Morgan take on the Three Musketeers, about a pair of assassins in Renaissance Europe.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2019, 02:29:22 by Dubble_g »

Esskatze

• Corporal
« Reply #76 on: 02 February 2019, 14:00:24 »
Regardless of the setting, I know it will be good. Just as some people can't write a good story even if their life depended on it (yes, I'm looking at you, Stackpole with your cardboard characters), others always manage to write at least a decent story, even if they choose an unfamiliar setting/genre.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 02 February 2019, 19:42:58 »
Will that non bt story your writing be on your BlogSpot or will you leave a link here. :beer:
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #78 on: 09 February 2019, 11:56:02 »
Is this in the same continuity as "A Snake in the Glass"?

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: 09 February 2019, 20:49:59 »
Will that non bt story your writing be on your BlogSpot or will you leave a link here. :beer:

Well, being the brilliant writer that I am I'll probably spend several months fruitlessly sending it to various publications (assuming I don't just abandon it partway through), receiving lots of format rejection letters before finally giving up AND THEN publishing it on my blog.

So yeah. In a bit.

Is this in the same continuity as "A Snake in the Glass"?

I think I mentioned in the first post it's a reuse of the characters, but not necessarily a prequel. Don't know how I'd get from this to Snake in the Glass ... anyway it was clear to me Snake should be about Natasha and Constance Kurita rather than a bunch of Mercs.

Cklammer and Esskatze have inspired me to try writing a prequel to this one, set in Anton's rebellion. Coming along slowly.... I should pitch it to John Helfers. One more rejection letter to add to my collection!  :P

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 10 February 2019, 03:29:05 »
If rejection letters keep spawning stories like this... send me your address and I'll churn them out by the gross.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #81 on: 10 February 2019, 15:24:15 »
Hoi Dubble_g,
 reuse and recycle: rejection letters can be used to start the fire for the barbecue grill or rolling cigarettes and also for other purposes if the paper is soft and and soaks up well  ;D

... and thus you may still derive a certain satisfaction by disposing of them in the aforementioned  ways  :thumbsup:

Best Regards,
Christian

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: 24 February 2019, 03:29:02 »
Just a quick update and a question... The prequel set in the Marik Civil War idea has turned into a mini novel (45,000 words and counting, not finished yet). I'm having fun stretching to see if I can carry the idea through to novel length (50,000+) but kind of wondering how to share it...

1) Put up a chapter a day as I have in the past?
- Chapters are a little long this time, so I'm worried that might be too wall of text
2) Put the whole thing as a PDF on Dropbox?
- The thread would get bumped down pretty quickly, and I'd like as many people as possible to read (and hopefully enjoy) it
3) Mix of 1 and 2: put up a chapter a day as a PDF link?

What do people think? Any preference or alternative suggestions?

Either way at the end I want to do it as a professional-looking format, with title page etc. etc.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 24 February 2019, 07:08:20 »
I'm only at about post 9, I'll leave a more detailed review later.

1) Put up a chapter a day as I have in the past?
- Chapters are a little long this time, so I'm worried that might be too wall of text
2) Put the whole thing as a PDF on Dropbox?
- The thread would get bumped down pretty quickly, and I'd like as many people as possible to read (and hopefully enjoy) it

IMO put up a chapter at a time, then drop the whole PDF at the end.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #84 on: 24 February 2019, 08:30:08 »
If possible, I recommend breaking up the posts in to something smaller than full chapters (say a few thousand words per day at most).  That will keep the thread "on top" longer, and mitigate the "wall of text" you're worried about.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #85 on: 24 February 2019, 13:38:14 »
Moin,

My 0.02€: (1) and after that (2).

Don't do (3) as it is neither here or there.

Best Regards,
Christian

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 24 February 2019, 22:07:27 »
I would say 1
and if your chapters are "too long"  maybe split over a couple days

then at the end pdf it all
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 25 February 2019, 00:12:46 »
A chapter a day so no 1, that will keep us lurkers happy. :thumbsup:
Growing up is optional.

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #88 on: 25 February 2019, 19:24:24 »
I agree. A chapter a day to keep us coming back.
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: 25 February 2019, 21:02:47 »
Okay, everyone seems pretty happy with the chapter-a-day style.
I think as Daryk suggested I'll try to split the longer ones up into multiple posts to reduce eyestrain.

EDIT: Deleted the old title page.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2019, 18:58:19 by Dubble_g »

Register