Author Topic: Warship Race Redux  (Read 89167 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Warship Race Redux
« Reply #1080 on: 08 July 2020, 16:22:53 »
Small Lasers begin to win when you bump up against weapon limits per arc.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1081 on: 09 July 2020, 18:15:10 »
I added a bit about fleet tactics vs different forces to the CC turn.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1082 on: 09 July 2020, 23:51:06 »
Were you two responsible for different ends of the universe or something?
And can we help the search in any way?
Also, a question of fluff: Are we influential on the developments in our nation, who lives/dies/gets constipated, or is that firmly in the realm of the GM?

While we do bounce ideas off each other and proof read stuff to make sure it makes sense in-universe, we have split responsiblilities for different areas between us. Marcus was handling the Terrans, and wrote the most of the stuff that involved the Great Houses (Including the Taurians getting stomped and the Rasalhagian Death Ride) I've focused on the Periphery, with the exception of the aforementioned Death Ride most of the RWR/PoR related shenanigans has been me.

Realise we haven't done a 'State of Inner Sphere Leadership' in a while... need to get on that...

Marcus and I have a system for generating the leaders of each nation and a basic description of their mood/skill. Essentially boils down to two 3d6 rolls,  one to determine how Warlike or Peace-loving/Defensive a ruler is, with a modifier depending on the nation (Combine tends to be warlike, Lyrans tend to be more peace-loving for example.) This temperament gives a +/-5/10/15% modifier to your naval budget depending on how hardcore they are about Peace or War, with a small opposite effect (1/2/3%) on your nations economic growth. The extreme ends of the personality table (Jinjiro Kurita at one end, that lady who ruled the OWA during the Amaris Coup who thought that Amaris and Kerensky could sort their differences out if they just talked about it at the other who's name escapes me) need a natural 3 or 18 roll to happen. The other 3d6 roll is to determine competency, an incompetent leader increases the budget modifier he's already applying, but also a -1% penalty to economic growth and is more likely to pick a fight he can't win. Meanwhile a particularly skilled leader gives an additional 1% boost to the economy, due to being able to get every last c-bill to work for him.

For example: An Extremely warlike but incompetent leader (like Kali Liao perhaps?) would give a huge +20% boost to your naval budget (applied after all other modifiers like any territory gains) but apply a -4% penalty to your economic growth. A big boost now for some long term pain.

On the other hand a Very (but not extremely) peaceful, skilled leader might hit you with a -10% budget penalty now, but the +3% increase to your economy, which would pay for itself in a few turns even while he's in power, and long term is going to be good for your naval budget.

Or the worst possibility for you, a Extremely peaceful, yet stupid leader. Crippling your navy with a -20% budget penalty, while only growing the economy by 2% a turn. Truly a disaster...

The massive change in the Terran Hegemony's naval budget is largely due to going from a Very Peaceful/Defensive leader to one who is not, while at the other end the Taurian budget basically went unchanged because they went from a Warlike leader to a neutral one.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1083 on: 10 July 2020, 05:18:38 »
That would be Allyce Avellar…  8)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1084 on: 10 July 2020, 08:27:59 »
Marcus and I have a system for generating the leaders of each nation and a basic description of their mood/skill. ...
Fascinating. So canon history has really no connection to it.
Do we have any indication of what a leaders inclinations are? Or do we have to guess based on our budget development?
And what decides when a change of leadership occurs?

Also, I assume we're not in a hurry?
I have quite the busy week.  xp
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1085 on: 10 July 2020, 22:16:21 »
Neither of us wanted to go digging through all of Btech history trying to get leaders right, especially as a lot of details of the 23-2400s are sketchy at best. Game was always going to go into AU territory fairly quickly, so we didn't bother trying to fight it.

As to their inclinations, I have to apologize for not keeping up with that. Was intending to keep up with that sort of stuff each turn but last turn was dragging on so much just wanted to post what fights happened and move on.

Change of leadership is again fairly random: Roll a D6, if the number is less than the number of turns the current leader has been in charge, they are replaced. Whether they died naturally, abdicated or were overthrown (with or without violence) would kind of vary depending on their inclinations, and the inclinations of their successor.

And no, no massive rush.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #1086 on: 11 July 2020, 05:06:24 »
And here I skimmed through the entire Kurita book and read all the Sarna articles.  ;D
Should probably have the leader violently replaced, then, to get that out of the way. Historically, the combine has a string of incompetent leaders over a century long.

... Though the von Rohrs dynasty does have the advantage of being completely enigmatic, so no one really knows when one dies and is replaced. That could also be interesting.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1087 on: 11 July 2020, 19:05:38 »
Is there a Gladius-B-A1 design specified somewhere?

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1088 on: 12 July 2020, 17:21:48 »
did marcus and/or smegish get my pm? it can be considered as an application of sorts  8)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1089 on: 12 July 2020, 21:40:24 »
Sorry got slammed by work: turning will be finished tomorrow! I know ‘no hurry’ but still lol It’s hard to stretch the money when you want everything.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1090 on: 12 July 2020, 22:42:05 »
GermanSumo I did, and you can have the job if you want it. Your timing isn't great though,  they're probably about to be kicked in the teeth again.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1091 on: 13 July 2020, 01:15:17 »
GermanSumo I did, and you can have the job if you want it. Your timing isn't great though,  they're probably about to be kicked in the teeth again.

i mentioned it in my pm. if van farch gets his wish, maybe he can stop the kick with his diplomatic initiative? and would/could the kicking player contact me about it? if its operation bear hug, im basically dead before i manage to get out of the starting block.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 01:19:15 by GermanSumo »

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1092 on: 13 July 2020, 01:45:13 »
The United Hindu Collective is the most likely to kick off the fight after their investigation into the events of last turn, and they are a GM-run NPC atm, like the Taurians.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1093 on: 13 July 2020, 01:55:50 »
The United Hindu Collective is the most likely to kick off the fight after their investigation into the events of last turn, and they are a GM-run NPC atm, like the Taurians.
gosh.... i didnt see that coming. could we communicate in person to talk about my turn and how it might affect whats coming?

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1094 on: 13 July 2020, 06:47:57 »
I gather that you want to play the TC?  The strategic situation there is quite difficult. 

Maybe the Rim Worlds League instead?  Twice the resources and an alliance with PoR which makes the strategic situation much better?

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1095 on: 13 July 2020, 07:58:51 »
I gather that you want to play the TC?  The strategic situation there is quite difficult. 

Maybe the Rim Worlds League instead?  Twice the resources and an alliance with PoR which makes the strategic situation much better?

hey Lagrange,

thank you for your comment. i was considering it but i wanted to try something special with the TC. i had an idea, if you will  8) 8)

but i have no single clue about construction and aero fights in battletech. so i am looking for a partner to help me with this side of things. maybe you would be willing? if so, hit me with a pm, so i can bounce some ideas to you  ;D ;D ;D

and yes, i know im shameless

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1096 on: 13 July 2020, 18:09:25 »
Be warned, we Marians stole a TC design... and are encroaching your direction, slowly.

But other than that,  welcome.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1097 on: 13 July 2020, 18:21:34 »
There has been a change of plan, and GermanSumo shall be taking over the Rim Worlds Republic instead.

In other news I'm halfway through a brief 'State of the Inner Sphere' which should give people some insight into their leaders, at least from a Terran point of view.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1098 on: 13 July 2020, 22:17:55 »
Okay... one more silly question from a game standpoint: do I really need PPC's or AC/10's?

I mean like I get they are good weapons, and eventually there is some tech there that I'd want... but do I really need them? I'd be better going up the Strengthening tech tree to improve my ships,  or get up on the Advancement Tech Tree to really improve things. PPC's and AC/10 are good but Large Lasers in bulk does about the same thing really. But the cost for a tech (approx 12 billion this turn for me) could be spent on more ships, stations, defenses, or economic improvements. Or even pay MORE money for a better tech (but lose out on the discount next turn (theoretically))

IDK opinions? I had my turn worked out finally and then I looked again and was like...... damn. Plus ya know the whole RWR new neighbor had me rethinking everything lol.

I'm sorry: I overthink sometimes.... most times.... all times.

Jester Motley

• Corporal
« Reply #1099 on: 13 July 2020, 23:13:07 »
Is there a Gladius-B-A1 design specified somewhere?

Mea Culpa, I oopsed.  I paid for the refit design last turn, and thought I'd included it there.  But then the other half of my brain thought this turn I'd posted it last turn in my multiple design post, and so didn't include it there.  I've edited turn 6 and added it in.  The design gets FC armor upgrade, and her small arms go from AC/5 and MGs, to PPCs and Small Laser.  I don't think I changed anything else.  The design's been ready for like 3-4 turns now.  But I could only now deal with it.

Okay... one more silly question from a game standpoint: do I really need PPC's or AC/10's?

The AC/10 probably doesn't matter, though it does upgrade your mechs/vees, so in that arena it'll be something.  AC/20s matter(ed) because they can do significant damage to some of the older designs, and are good close-in anti-air support.  PPCs?  Well, I mount those rather than LLs as a doctrine choice, same as unifying to small lasers and paying the heatsink cost (made better by double HS).

But the FedSuns still don't have SRMs.  and at least to date, that's not affected me.  Though I may pick them up on the cheap to step up the research ladder so I can get something I'd like, and if my choice is "full price" or "discount" for mech based weapons I'm not likely to mount on ships either way, well...  discount please.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1100 on: 14 July 2020, 04:43:51 »
woah... i must apologize to everybody who is feeling disturbed by me sending them many messages. im starting out, probing my way, couldnt even sleep cause i was making plans and trying to figure out where the game is right now and where my rimmies would/could fall into the picture. and trying to convince poor Smegish to consider all the "special" ideas i have.

i will be posting some fluff explaining the character and plans of your new admiral named Konstantin van Farch.  ;D :D ;D :D

and big thanks for smegish to accept me into the game and all of you for not opposing it (while probably making plans to trash me)

please be gentle on me while i learn the basics of your game and find somebody to do designs for me LOLOL

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1101 on: 14 July 2020, 14:30:19 »
The number and TRO portion of my turn are up.

Fluff is incoming.

I'm writing things as if Marsden's AGE of WAR pronouncement was in effect and any border is a border that could give the Lyran Commonwealth some breathing room.

I'll be focusing the Fluff on doctrine changes as some of the new designs are very specialized and not designed for regular activities.

I'm also laying the groundwork for the Steiner "takeover" of the Archon position and some fluff that should lead to the Lyran Caspar network.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1102 on: 14 July 2020, 18:44:07 »
The number and TRO portion of my turn are up.

I generally figure about 2500/per 250meter grav deck based on scaling (proportional to radius^2) and canon designs.  Impressively, the Skeggøx would need 19 grav decks at that rate.  More generally, do we have an estimate of how many regiments defend the typical world?

Also, is the plan for getting mechs from orbit to ground and back via dropships carried in on jumpships?

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1103 on: 14 July 2020, 23:06:30 »
I generally figure about 2500/per 250meter grav deck based on scaling (proportional to radius^2) and canon designs.  Impressively, the Skeggøx would need 19 grav decks at that rate.  More generally, do we have an estimate of how many regiments defend the typical world?

Also, is the plan for getting mechs from orbit to ground and back via dropships carried in on jumpships?

That or using the small craft, they can't have proper mech bays but 100 tons of cargo on a 200 ton craft is pretty easy.

And I figure that the Skeggøx has wider then usual gravdecks.

All I know is that the LC researched orbital drops on turn 3 so by now the LCAF had better be experts at combat drops.

And I have no idea how many regiments can defend a world but I assume it is something between FASA numbers and realistic numbers.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1104 on: 15 July 2020, 03:10:25 »
Planetary defences of Ye Average Colony that isn't in the arse end of nowhere is likely to be in the range of a FedCom RCT (2-3 Armour Regiments, 3-5 Infantry plus aero and arty), minus the mech regiment and probably with the Aero contingent being full of conventional air-breathers, unless you have enough spare fighters to go around of course. More important worlds (like capitals or those with shipyards in them for example) will of course be better defended, and new colonies (less than 3 decades old say) will probably have less.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1105 on: 15 July 2020, 08:03:15 »
That or using the small craft, they can't have proper mech bays but 100 tons of cargo on a 200 ton craft is pretty easy.
I find myself avoiding the use of mechs simply because it's expensive to support them on the ground (dropship + collar cost) and awkward to lift them into orbit for routine maintenance/repair. 
Planetary defences of Ye Average Colony that isn't in the arse end of nowhere is likely to be in the range of a FedCom RCT (2-3 Armour Regiments, 3-5 Infantry plus aero and arty), minus the mech regiment and probably with the Aero contingent being full of conventional air-breathers, unless you have enough spare fighters to go around of course. More important worlds (like capitals or those with shipyards in them for example) will of course be better defended, and new colonies (less than 3 decades old say) will probably have less.
Thanks, that's helpful.  The Skeggøx looks like an invade-the-capital transport.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1106 on: 15 July 2020, 08:07:38 »
Planetary defences of Ye Average Colony that isn't in the arse end of nowhere

Ha!

I got that covered very well... also got more infantry and tanks than the average peripheral goonie, thank you very much!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1107 on: 15 July 2020, 09:10:03 »
Thanks, that's helpful.  The Skeggøx looks like an invade-the-capital transport.

Thanks I decided that the LC was going to focus on force projection for a little bit now that there are so many design choices.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1108 on: 15 July 2020, 09:43:45 »
The Skeggøx looks like an invade-the-capital transport.

and im very afraid i know who it will be tested on  :o :o :o :o

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1109 on: 15 July 2020, 09:53:44 »
and im very afraid i know who it will be tested on  :o :o :o :o

Knowing how the GM dice rolls work I'm assuming Earth.

Register