Author Topic: Random universe questions. Aliens/mechs/new universes  (Read 484 times)

Garagegamer

• Recruit
Random universe questions. Aliens/mechs/new universes
« on: 08 March 2024, 23:46:07 »
Why hasn't the writers included more aliens or other humans that settled other galaxies and found random teleporters to ither galaxies?

What if they found a Dyson sphere or a gate in the universe but the outer sphere didn't want to be included because they had found new technology? 🤔 I am referring to the star league vs the outer rim. 

Why has technology stagnated? I noticed IE four legged mech designs, or other new weapon types? I feel from 3050 to 3150 technology should advance.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Re: Random universe questions. Aliens/mechs/new universes
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2024, 06:19:14 »
Why hasn't the writers included more aliens or other humans that settled other galaxies and found random teleporters to ither galaxies?

Because this isn't Stargate. Battletech is a universe about human conflicts and a more "grounded" technology base.

What if they found a Dyson sphere or a gate in the universe but the outer sphere didn't want to be included because they had found new technology? 🤔 I am referring to the star league vs the outer rim. 

See above.

Why has technology stagnated? I noticed IE four legged mech designs, or other new weapon types? I feel from 3050 to 3150 technology should advance.

Because this is, all things considered, a game. Advancing technology would mean to constantly push out new weapons that would do the same the old ones did, but with more damage. Then we'd update armor to take the damage and would have to put out new stats for old weapons. In the end, we would have to constantly outdate existing stuff to fill the hole with new stuff that does the exact same job the old stuff did. There is nothing in this to further the game. So technology is "stagnating" to avoid this trap and allow players to still play with the stuff they bought 40 years ago. Which is one of the big unique selling points of Battletech, compared to other wargames on the market that constantly force players to buy new and better stuff that does nothing different or better.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Garagegamer

• Recruit
Re new ideas.
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2024, 13:38:17 »
So what about making a technology eliminates heat from the equation but balance it with older mechs? I think that would be a nice quality of life addon.

I think having a new invading forces would make the universe more interesting and not less. Say house kurita factionalizes and now most of their territories are gone but the main house still exists so theoretically you could use their mechs still.

Another idea is have the fifth succession war after the ilclan era much of the inner sphere felt a shock wave to bolster themselves rather than attack the clans which strings everyone's Territories.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2024, 12:21:46 »
Heat management is an essential game mechanic. It is not going away.
As far as you story ideas go: this is no a story solicitation forum. You can always write fan fiction, but we writers are not soliciting story ideas and Catalyst is neither. Sorry.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2024, 10:08:58 »
All answered, so locking up.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Register