Author Topic: 'Mechs sitting up...  (Read 329 times)

ColonelCrow

• Private
'Mechs sitting up...
« on: 13 March 2024, 17:05:18 »
Hello! I kinda thought this was more of a rules question, but when I reviewed the pinned post on policies for that topic, I found this:

If your question is "why is it that way?" or "why can't we do it this way?", it's a philosophy question rather than a rules question, and you should be posting in Ask The Writers instead.

And this is, in fact, a "why is it that way?" question.

So, getting right to it.

We know that humanoid 'mechs have articulate waists. Even setting aside the numerous instances in the fiction of 'mechs bowing and so on, the fact that there are rules for 'mechs bending over to pick up cargo establishes this.

Therefore, why does a humanoid 'mech need to have at least one arm to fire from a prone position (propping itself up, essentially)? Why can't it just sit up? I mean, unless they have the proportional strength of the 50 pound bag of dried peas that mirrors my core strength it seems like it should be a snap. (Related, I bet you anything there are fit one-legged people who can stand up without using their arms, but I won't go that far.)

Cheers!

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: 'Mechs sitting up...
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2024, 17:07:37 »
They do have very low strength to weight ratios. The lift capacity of a 'Mech is 10% of its weight because the muscles and frame (internal structure) are already carrying 9 or 19 times their mass. Still, that's enough to get them to stand up even with 1 leg missing (at +5 PSR). So, interesting question.

I mean, this has even made it to Hollywood  :wink:

I'm going to go with the theory that sitting up takes a while, akin needing to wait until the next movement phase and burning movement points to stand up. If you want to fire right away, you're shooting prone. And if you can sit up then you can probably stand up. So, there wasn't a need to just sit up. But I'll ask around a bit more.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2024, 17:14:43 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: 'Mechs sitting up...
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2024, 16:19:17 »
Unofficially for your home game, you could probably hijack Tactical Operations' hull down rules, where bipedal 'Mechs kneel. That gets your 'Mech to a similar height as sitting.

However, currently, sitting is not a rules-valid maneuver.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.