Author Topic: Oberon Confederation in the Dark age?  (Read 5727 times)

timp77

• Corporal
Oberon Confederation in the Dark age?
« on: 18 July 2019, 23:08:30 »
I am wondering if there is any further information on the military units of the Oberon Confederation during the dark ages?

Frabby

• Major
Re: Oberon Confederation in the Dark age?
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2019, 01:55:01 »
Any information I have was included in the Sarna article.

Iirc, the last time any proper military units were named was Objective Raids (during its Clan occupation). The state seems to still be reconstituting in the Dark Ages after the Hell's Horses pulled out.

I wonder it House Grimm gets reconstituted as well. Doesn't look likely at this time, unfortunately.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2019, 18:52:44 »
I am wondering if there is any further information on the military units of the Oberon Confederation during the dark ages?

Check Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions,  pag. 42-43. Its set around 3084-86, and they field a Elite Trinary at Oberon IV, and each of its 5 world have a cluster of mixed armor and infantry. In Field Manual 3145 pag 155 mentions that someone is providing them with Battlemechs, and are using it against the Republic of the Barrens, a CHH client state.

Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2022, 04:59:59 »
From looking in the Tamar Rising thread there seems to be a bit more on them, got to wait for payday to get it myself unfortunately but really looking forwards to seeing it and who knows if they can hang around for a bit maybe they'll get some love in the MUL and CamoSpecs.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2022, 07:36:17 »
From looking in the Tamar Rising thread there seems to be a bit more on them, got to wait for payday to get it myself unfortunately but really looking forwards to seeing it and who knows if they can hang around for a bit maybe they'll get some love in the MUL and CamoSpecs.

Looks like the new Red Duke (Ricol) is/was backing them. The guy appears to have a hate for both the Clans and the DC, and he lappears to be backed by what its left of the Black Dragons
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2022, 08:09:08 »
Looks like the new Red Duke (Ricol) is/was backing them. The guy appears to have a hate for both the Clans and the DC, and he lappears to be backed by what its left of the Black Dragons

Slightly different - the Black Dragons were backing them with the intent of setting up a new power base there, helping them conquer the Republic of the Barrens.  Then Abdoun (also linked to the Black Dragons) showed up with a mercenary army and said “new plan, guys.”  His initial goal seems to have been to bait the Horse coreward garrisons into the Barrens, so he could counterattack against undefended Horse holdings.  Then the Horses went to the Hinterlands on Stampede, opening the door without him having to sacrifice the Barrens and Black Dragons forces as a distraction, so the whole motley crew is now raiding Horse space.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2022, 08:59:22 »
As of Tamar Rising does the Oberon Confederation possess one or two clusters of Battlemechs?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2022, 11:36:00 »
As of Tamar Rising does the Oberon Confederation possess one or two clusters of Battlemechs?

Also are any mercs working for/with the Confederation?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2022, 11:59:51 »

Alongside.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2022, 12:16:45 »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2022, 12:23:26 »

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2022, 12:30:47 »
Yup.

Read the info on Camo Specs about them earlier, interesting unit make up.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2022, 12:38:28 »

In Tamar Rising it is mentioned that there were dozens of mercenary/pirate bands under the Red Hunter.  I assume all of the were either lance or company strength groups.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2022, 12:41:13 »
Hassid Ricol had an army, but it was mostly mook-level conscripts.  There is a scene in Heir to the Dragon where a DCMS trooper prays he won’t get transferred to Ricol’s command.

Abdoun has an army, too, but his is primarily composed of veteran mercenaries and bounty hunters. 

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2022, 12:45:01 »
Hassid Ricol had an army, but it was mostly mook-level conscripts.  There is a scene in Heir to the Dragon where a DCMS trooper prays he won’t get transferred to Ricol’s command.

Abdoun has an army, too, but his is primarily composed of veteran mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Looks at my recently finished Red Hunter SOG...quietly weeps... :'(

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2022, 12:49:12 »
The SOG were Hassid’s elites.  The rest were canon fodder that the GDL wedgied nonstop on Verthandi. 

Abdoun’s crew is essentially 100% SOG.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2022, 13:02:55 »
Hopefully we get an update of what factions exist in that neck of the periphery and their modus operandi.  I am also curious if the Republic of the Barrens survived or is a defunct faction.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2022, 13:10:07 »
Hopefully we get an update of what factions exist in that neck of the periphery and their modus operandi.  I am also curious if the Republic of the Barrens survived or is a defunct faction.

Hell’s Horses rescued it…for now.

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2022, 13:59:39 »
The SOG were Hassid’s elites.  The rest were canon fodder that the GDL wedgied nonstop on Verthandi. 

Abdoun’s crew is essentially 100% SOG.

Yaaay!  Will we see a Combat Manual-style TO&E for Abdoun's Red Hunter SOG at some point?

MDFification

• Sergeant
  • The Rim Is Not Yet Lost
« Reply #19 on: 22 January 2022, 16:26:43 »

Well, the Ragnarok Union was described as a Falcon client states, and their patrons are gone now. We can presume they're not having a good time, with their defenders and biggest export market defunct. As far as I know, there's been no word on the Ferris Collective and the Bear's client state (I forget their name), but there's no reason to expect things have really changed for them.

If you want to know what we learned about the other Barrens powers, (Tamar Rising spoilers) the Oberon Confederation temporarily occupied Star's End, conquered Gustrell and overwhelmed Crellacor (which they tried to strip rather than occupy), but the Horses intervened to push them back to their pre-war borders. We can assume they got a lot of loot and salvage, but they haven't made territorial gains.

The Republic of the Barrens is pretty scuffed. Their forces on Gustrell (their capitol) and Crellacor were smashed, and those planets suffered years of occupation/looting. It can be assumed that their government and military pretty much collapsed, and only an intervention by the Horses (4 years after Gustrell fell) restored their territory to them. Essentially, as of 3152, they only exist because the Horses are dedicating forces to make them exist.

Von Strang's World fought alongside Oberon, but it was implied that they were doing so as mercenaries or allies rather than having joined the Confederation. Why they'd side with Oberon remains unknown (but it was probably just for a chance to fight and a share of the plunder).

Star's End is still independent, but Oberon appears to be occupying their germanium mines at will, and the Horses only made them retreat temporarily. No word on what happened to their massive JumpShip fleet, but my personal guess is that the Oberon Confederation nicked 'em.

There's a new power in the Barrens - the Black Dragon, under Ricol. Thought they don't hold territory, they're apparently allied with Oberon, selling them mechs in exchange for germanium (stolen from Star's End) and fighting alongside them in return for use of Confederation territory as a staging ground. Their goal is speculated to be recovering House Ricol's old holdings, which means they're out to seize territory from Hell's Horses.

Oh, and Snord's Irregulars was hanging out on Butte Hold, which it's implied Ricol was staging out of. We don't know why, other than that they were digging something up, and were worried about Green Ghost attacks. It's unknown if they care enough to get involved in Barrens politics, but they gave the Horses a bloody nose when they picked a fight.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 22 January 2022, 21:50:42 »
Great summary and speculation on the current condition of the Republic.  I have to wonder especially since the Hells Horses consider their warriors “brothers in arms” what will happen. We already can guess that the periphery border will become a major source of conflict between the Hells Horses and the pirate groups.  But will the Hells Horses try to attack or bunker down and wait for the attack to come.  Will we see a new sub faction in the Hells Horses emerge to try to take down the Oberon Confederation especially since there seems to be divisions between the various clusters.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #21 on: 23 January 2022, 00:51:02 »
My most important question is this: will the New Oberon Confederation get a camo scheme?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 23 January 2022, 09:39:00 »
My most important question is this: will the New Oberon Confederation get a camo scheme?

Agreed, and as a second point a separate MUL entry.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #23 on: 23 January 2022, 09:49:38 »

Well, this is what well dressed Oberon Guards were wearing in 3024.  Coulda changed, but there’s something to be said for the classics.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 23 January 2022, 09:51:34 »
I do like that.