Author Topic: Picard series SDCC trailer!  (Read 4609 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Picard series SDCC trailer!
« on: 20 July 2019, 17:03:21 »
https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1152672066287656960/video/1

Well that blew my theory out of the water and frankly

well hell i don't care what paywall it's behind i will watch the **** out of this.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: Picard series SDCC trailer!
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2019, 17:20:41 »
Out of curiosity, what was your theory?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2019, 18:04:14 »
Looks like fun.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2019, 18:09:55 »
Looks like fun.

Agreed. And good to see some of the other characters also coming back.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2019, 19:05:42 »
Looks good. Hope they dont f... mess it up with stupid story gimmicks.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2019, 19:14:04 »
Out of curiosity, what was your theory?
The initial teaser mentioned "Picard's greatest failure" and I figured it had to be the Romulans - considering some episodes of TNG, and the ending of Nemesis implying thaws with the new Romulan government, having the Hobus explosion wipe them out and Picard's inability to bring enough relief or transport or something.  It would have been an interesting political exploration I think, but...

...yanno what, I like where they're going with this a lot better.

This might be because it blithely ignores the Destiny three-pack toilet paper set.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2019, 19:35:37 »
The initial teaser mentioned "Picard's greatest failure" and I figured it had to be the Romulans - considering some episodes of TNG, and the ending of Nemesis implying thaws with the new Romulan government, having the Hobus explosion wipe them out and Picard's inability to bring enough relief or transport or something.  It would have been an interesting political exploration I think, but...

...yanno what, I like where they're going with this a lot better.

This might be because it blithely ignores the Destiny three-pack toilet paper set.

I think that is kind of why Picard left Star Fleet. At least, that's the way I've read the hints they've been dropping. At first I thought that those were Vulcans...however in hindsight, I think they were more likely to be Romulans. But the Borg...well, that's unexpected (though in hindsight, it probably shouldn't be).

So who else would you like to see pop up? I think Worf would be cool to see what he's been up to for the past 20 years. I don't really know who else would be likely to be added. Dr. Crusher maybe for a scene? Was surprised at Seven of Nine though.

And lastly, what do you all think of the aesthetics of the show so far?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2019, 22:26:57 »
I'm surprised Michael Dorn hasn't broken Twitter yet with LEMME PLAY WITH YOU GUYS PLZ PLZ PLZ COME ON IT'LL BE LIKE OLD TIMES GUYS PLZ

Eh...I like it.  It's got a feel of the Abrams movies, with the cinematography, but I like that being applied to TV.  As far as the rest...well, it's not the iphone store of the Federation we've come to know, but it doesn't look like it's going to be the top-of-the-line stuff anyway.  I can dig.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2019, 02:08:14 »
They've clearly stated that any TNG appearances would be because that character had a story and role to play, and not just random dropins for the fanboi masturbation factor.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2019, 03:40:44 »
They've clearly stated that any TNG appearances would be because that character had a story and role to play
Michael Dorn confirmed then.

(Just kidding)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2019, 05:32:38 »
Apparently Riker and Troi are going to show up as well, but nobody else from TNG has been confirmed for series 1.  Frakes is directing some episodes too.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2019, 07:07:47 »
I think that is kind of why Picard left Star Fleet. At least, that's the way I've read the hints they've been dropping. At first I thought that those were Vulcans...however in hindsight, I think they were more likely to be Romulans. But the Borg...well, that's unexpected (though in hindsight, it probably shouldn't be).

And lastly, what do you all think of the aesthetics of the show so far?
They are romulans. WE knew the series was going to have something to do with the Romulans. Hobus Supernova is part of the show continuity. And taking a page from the Tal Shair in STO story line, some of them are experimenting on Borg Tech. This is all from the trailer.

Aesthetic is indeed a much higher quality.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2019, 09:06:05 »
I’ve barely watched any Star Trek since First Contact (a little DS9 and the first reboot movie)

but color me intrigued

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2019, 11:20:48 »
...I think they were more likely to be Romulans...

It was confirmed on the SDCC floor to be Romulans and that theyre "playing" (i.e. experimenting) with Borg technology.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2019, 11:46:35 »
It was confirmed on the SDCC floor to be Romulans and that theyre "playing" (i.e. experimenting) with Borg technology.
So the girl from the trailer is some kind of knockoff borg-queen? 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2019, 12:38:04 »
I looks like a really great a show. Just remember that Sir Patrick Stewart is in the mid-70s so he isnt going to be punching out as many bad guys and more of a physical.
I can't wait for it. Glad some of the cast members from TNG will be back. DATA is great that is back...how ever version of him.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2019, 13:35:42 »
Well there is another minor TNG Character showing up in Picard : Hugh (SP?)!
The actor was with Stewart & Spiner in a IGN Live chat at SDCC. (Link)
So another Borg angle.

Plus I've herd that the STO Devs were asked for the Background of Data they worked up. Now I wonder is the STO Devs will rework Seven's appearance, for most missions, in STO to mirror her look in Picard and maybe have her re-record dialogue too?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #17 on: 22 July 2019, 07:47:18 »
Hugh was a big surprise- I liked the character's first appearance, and while I wasn't as wild about him as part of the Lore storyline later it made sense to include him and the 'damage' done to him by the Enterprise crew. I'll be interested to see what they do with him here- Stewart has said he didn't want to come back for this unless it was for the right story, so i trust his judgement that this whole thing will be pretty worthwhile, and I'll obviously assume Hugh's role is fairly significant.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 22 July 2019, 12:25:25 »

Wait and see... I guess.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #19 on: 22 July 2019, 12:28:58 »
I looks like a really great a show. Just remember that Sir Patrick Stewart is in the mid-70s so he isnt going to be punching out as many bad guys and more of a physical.
I can't wait for it. Glad some of the cast members from TNG will be back. DATA is great that is back...how ever version of him.

I was thinking about this earlier, and I'm actually good with it. I never was a fan of that aspect to Picard in the  movies- how often did he go all action-hero during TNG? Legitimately asking, maybe a couple of times? Even then, such as when the pirates were aboard the Enterprise while the beam-of-death was sweeping the ship in drydock, he was more about outsmarting them than anything. Then suddenly he's going all Bruce Willis in the movies? It was a weird shift for the character, like they wanted him to become Kirk. If this series sees him settle back into the form he had during TNG, I'm quite okay with that.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #20 on: 22 July 2019, 12:32:37 »
I was thinking about this earlier, and I'm actually good with it. I never was a fan of that aspect to Picard in the  movies- how often did he go all action-hero during TNG? Legitimately asking, maybe a couple of times? Even then, such as when the pirates were aboard the Enterprise while the beam-of-death was sweeping the ship in drydock, he was more about outsmarting them than anything. Then suddenly he's going all Bruce Willis in the movies? It was a weird shift for the character, like they wanted him to become Kirk. If this series sees him settle back into the form he had during TNG, I'm quite okay with that.

Picard becoming more of an action-oriented character was at Patrick Stewart's request, apparently.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #21 on: 22 July 2019, 13:23:30 »
Im ok with a Older Picard also. He was jumping around punching Romulans and fighting with Klingons even in TNG. Sir Patrick Stewart is a well class actor that can do very many roles and can do them really really well. Picard was good at talking his way out of a fight...even surrendering when he had the way advantage for a better end result. The one thing I hope for is a more "down to earth" show where it isn't all formal and kinda boring. I don't know about the other main crew members and what they will bring to the table....kinda unknowns. I hope to see many of the TNG cast in the episodes somewhere. Don't want it to be Picard:TNG, expand the story and move the future along.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #22 on: 22 July 2019, 13:34:25 »
Well there is another minor TNG Character showing up in Picard : Hugh (SP?)!
The actor was with Stewart & Spiner in a IGN Live chat at SDCC. (Link)
So another Borg angle.

Plus I've herd that the STO Devs were asked for the Background of Data they worked up. Now I wonder is the STO Devs will rework Seven's appearance, for most missions, in STO to mirror her look in Picard and maybe have her re-record dialogue too?

I believe it's being discussed - IIRC, STO devs have said they want to incorporate content from this series, too.  Also, the Starfleet uniforms in Picard are also based on some of the STO options, aren't they?

Or is she a repaired Laal?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 22 July 2019, 13:40:56 »

First Contact gets a big pass on this on, because of all things that are going to get under Picard's skin again, it's the Borg.

Otherwise I agree with you.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #24 on: 22 July 2019, 13:42:20 »
Ehhhh... I've seen the Lal suggestion a few times, and while it's quite possible she's an android I don't buy that it's Lal herself. Lal barely worked enough to function- and then only for a few days. This girl is talking normally (something that Data struggled with, though I admit Lore had no such problem), clearly has some serious physical capabilities that we haven't seen from any previous android (though can you imagine Brent Spiner doing flip-kicks like that?), etc.- if she's an android, she's leaps and bounds ahead of any of Soong's work- so how is that possible? Who could have taken Soong's android work and made it into something like this? (Safe to say if it was the Romulans, they'd have completed her with pointy ears, right? Why make her look human?)

I'm guessing she's not an android. I'm guessing she's Borg- but without obvious implants, perhaps for spying purposes. That would both explain the appearances of Hugh, the weird Borg cube we saw, and possibly explain why Picard got in touch with the only friendly Borg in Federation space. If the Tal Shiar (what's left of it) or other organizations found out about such a being, they might very well decide exterminating her is the best bet- thus the danger she's in.

The reality of it is though, I'm just looking forward to seeing what they come up with- my own personal ideas and theories are simply guesses, and I'm honestly looking forward to being proven wrong.

+Crow T. Robot+

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 22 July 2019, 15:07:15 »
Wait.... So, Charles has to save X-23 AGAIN?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 22 July 2019, 16:00:05 »
Wait.... So, Charles has to save X-23 AGAIN?

Close it down, this post wins the thread.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #27 on: 22 July 2019, 17:00:13 »
Yea, verily, it is so!  :D

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #28 on: 22 July 2019, 17:38:09 »
First Contact gets a big pass on this on, because of all things that are going to get under Picard's skin again, it's the Borg.

Otherwise I agree with you.

I know it gets knocked. But honestly I think First Contact had a much more realistic view of what Picard went through then TNG did. I mean the nature of the show didn't really allow for deep character study. (How many times did a character go through a traumatic experience and then the next episode be like it never happened.)

To be honest, Picard shouldn't have been put right back on the bridge after being assimilated and rescued. It would have been much more realistic if he had been relieved of command and put on an extended leave. Both so he could recover from such a traumatic experience, and also so Starfleet could keep an eye on him. (I mean, at that point Starfleet barely knew anything about the Borg, how would they know Picard might turn out to be a sleeper agent or something?)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 22 July 2019, 18:42:11 »
I know it gets knocked. But honestly I think First Contact had a much more realistic view of what Picard went through then TNG did. I mean the nature of the show didn't really allow for deep character study. (How many times did a character go through a traumatic experience and then the next episode be like it never happened.)

To be honest, Picard shouldn't have been put right back on the bridge after being assimilated and rescued. It would have been much more realistic if he had been relieved of command and put on an extended leave. Both so he could recover from such a traumatic experience, and also so Starfleet could keep an eye on him. (I mean, at that point Starfleet barely knew anything about the Borg, how would they know Picard might turn out to be a sleeper agent or something?)

Was that not exactly what “Family”, the next episode after “The Best of Both Worlds”, was all about, at least in part?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Register