Author Topic: No "Official" color scheme?  (Read 2491 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
No "Official" color scheme?
« on: 03 January 2019, 13:35:52 »
I know that SEVERAL clan Galaxies have "Official" color schemes associated with them, but I'm trying to see if anyone knows any specific Clan Wolf, Jade Falcon, Steel Viper, or Diamond Shark units that don't yet have an "Official" set of colors or markings.

I'm curious because I'd like to paint up a Clan unit in a kind of old-style "Star League"-ish color scheme, as a kind of "tribute and remembrance" of where the Clan's originated from. I don't care which Clan it'd be from, so long as it's Clan, has no "Official" claim to a given color scheme or markings, and has a strong connection to it's ancient roots as a Star League unit.

Luciora

• Major
Re: No "Official" color scheme?
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2019, 13:47:43 »
You could go for one of the abjured, absorbed or annihilated clans, since even Klondike didn't touch too in depth about color schemes.  That leaves you with Mongoose, Wolverine, Widowmaker, Burrock to work with as many of those toumans haven't been detailed and they would have stuck with SL Drab, since they did not stay solvent for very long, with exceptions.  You would end up not using any modern omnimechs though.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2019, 15:24:35 »
The biggest stumbling block here is the additional requirement of a strong connection to SL roots. Your best bet will likely be a destroyed unit (like CJF Beta... one had to have existed at some point, right?). As of FM:3145, any unit without a described scheme (they're all Wolf units) is a post-Jihad assembly.

The Sharks had their unit schemes written in by the author of FM:WC. IIRC, all the extant Falcon Galaxies are accounted for; at least those surviving to the DA are. Filling in the Wolf schemes was a CSO project a number of years back, incorporating all the sources we had, including the BT Miniatures Rules book. That was the source for the Silver Keshik at least. I wouldn't have inflicted that brutality on myself. The Vipers may have an opening or two as well, though the primary Galaxies are already described.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2019, 17:53:18 »
May i point to the Nova Cats? Beside one crazy galaxy in neon colors they tend to use appropriate camouflage. Something you can also read about SLDF forces. Tan and olive seems to be appropriate enough for the SLDF - so why not for the Nova Cats?

I used olive drabfor my NC force. And yes, they look like SLDF. But it fits.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2019, 18:21:21 »
All for olive drab or appropriate camo myself.

While I understand the logic and applaud the artist for their hard work on all the paint schemes we have to choose from, I'm not one who believes every unit needs a different paint scheme just for the sake of looking different.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2019, 03:23:43 »
Clan Steel Viper’s Delta Galaxy (Fer de Lance) doesn’t yet appear to have a scheme. They’re also the only CSV galaxy that doesn’t use a snake motif, according to their entry in FM:WC. I do have a scheme in mind for them, but this is among the many projects I have in the hopper right now, so it’s not something I’m going to get to right away.

Another option that might work even better would be Clan Nova Cat. Given their mysticism and strong links to the Star League and its ideals, this might be something to consider. They are all about muted military schemes anyway, and there appear to be a bunch of galaxies that don’t yet have official schemes.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2019, 04:26:01 »
Because I am obsessive, here's a list of all the Clan units I've found that don't have official colour schemes.

Clan Blood Spirit
•   Beta Galaxy
•   Delta Galaxy
•   Zeta Galaxy
•   Kappa Galaxy
•   Rho Galaxy
•   Mu Provisional Galaxy

Clan Burrock
•   Alpha Galaxy
•   Beta Galaxy
•   Kappa Galaxy
•   Pi Galaxy
•   Zeta Galaxy
•   Omega Defence Galaxy

Clan Cloud Cobra
•   Omicron Galaxy

Clan Coyote
•   Beta Galaxy
•   Gamma Galaxy
•   Xi Galaxy
•   Pi Galaxy
•   Bronze Keshik
•   Golden Keshik
•   Silver Keshik

Clan Fire Mandril
•   Kindra Smythe-Jewel

Clan Ghost Bear/Rasalhauge Dominion
•   Zeta Galaxy
•   Polar Galaxy
•   Tundra Galaxy
•   Shrill Keshik
•   Jorgensson’s Keshik
•   Tseng’s Keshik
•   Kabrinski’s Keshik

Clan Goliath Scorpion/Escoprio Imperio
•   Omega Galaxy

Clan Ice Hellion
•   Zeta Galaxy

Clan Jade Falcon
•   Phi Galaxy

Clan Nova Cat
•   Beta Galaxy
•   Gamma Galaxy
•   Delta Galaxy
•   Kappa Galaxy
•   Lambda Galaxy
•   Sigma Galaxy
•   Tau Galaxy
•   Rho Provisional Galaxy
•   Upsilon Provisional Galaxy
•   Zeta Provisional Galaxy
•   Chi Provisional Galaxy
•   Omega Provisional Galaxy
•   NovaStar Keshik
•   Shiva Keshik
•   Lachesis Keshik
•   Vision Keshik

Clan Smoke Jaguar
•   Iron Guard Galaxy
•   Jaguar’s Heart Galaxy
•   Watchmen Galaxy
•   Pi Galaxy

Clan Snow Raven
•   Kappa Garrison Galaxy

Clan Steel Viper
•   Delta Galaxy
•   Omicron Galaxy

Clan Wolf/Wolf Empire
•   Epsilon Galaxy
•   Lambda Galaxy
•   Mu Galaxy
•   Omicron Galaxy
•   Sigma Galaxy
•   Upsilon Galaxy
•   Zeta Galaxy
•   Dark Keshik
•   Iron Keshik
•   Light Keshik
•   Steel Keshik
•   Yellow Keshik

Clan Wolf in Exile
•   Bronze Keshik

There are no known individual Galaxy schemes for the Burrocks, Mongooses, Widowmakers or Wolverines

Most of the Wolf units missing are newly-raised Wolf Empire units, and as such won't have any ties to older units. There are a few Wolf Empire units that are named for older defunct galaxies, but whether they have inhereted the colours of their older namesakes is another matter. Wolf Omicron is the former Coyote Omicron, and as such might have inherteted their colours.

The colours of the old Sea Fox units are completely unknown. They may be the same as their Diamond Shark counterparts, but that's only an assumption.

The Ghost Bear/Rasalhauge Domninion Polar, Taiga and Tundra Galaxies are made up of former FRRKA units and may have inhereted their colours.

have fun!
« Last Edit: 04 January 2019, 19:16:09 by Deadborder »
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2019, 10:25:33 »
They are all about muted military schemes anyway, and there appear to be a bunch of galaxies that don’t yet have official schemes.

It's not so much that they don't have specific schemes, and more that their FM:C* entry specifically says they use appropriate camo.

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2019, 04:26:59 »
Because I am obsessive, here's a list of all the Clan units I've found that don't have official colour schemes.

[…]

Clan Ice Hellion
•   Zeta Galaxy

Definitely not canon, but, for what it's worth, I made an attempt at Zeta Galaxy a few years ago based on the colours of Zeta Prime Galaxy and the detail of Theta Galaxy.

Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2019, 13:23:04 »
Ok, THAT is fantastic on the weathering!  I especially like the hints of rust, it reminds me of a few spots on our vehicles where the paint had bubbled, flaked off and the metal started rusting.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2019, 14:43:45 »
Damn nice!

What mech is THAT?

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2019, 14:45:46 »

Thanx soooo much!

THIS gives me a good basis to work with, AND a good basis for some additional ideas I was mulling around.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2019, 16:26:56 »
Probably a Shadow Hawk IIC 9 since its a MWDA look which is really just a bit of a change from the 4- even visually.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2019, 17:32:07 »
modded Shadow Hawk IIC. the left arm looks really familiar but i can't place it. i initially thought Jackalope but it doesn't match

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2019, 10:14:02 »
Its a repainted MWDA Shadow Hawk IIC mini I believe.

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2019, 10:15:15 »
Wolf Omicron is the former Coyote Omicron, and as such might have inherteted their colours.

They likely did, especially considering there were destroyed less then a year after joining CW defending the Kerensky Blood Chapel.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2019, 12:43:44 »
Its a repainted MWDA Shadow Hawk IIC mini I believe.

so it is!

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2019, 21:48:33 »
Thanx soooo much!

THIS gives me a good basis to work with, AND a good basis for some additional ideas I was mulling around.

Not a problem! Enjoy and have fun with creating new stuff!
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?