Author Topic: Has anyone looked at Numenera yet?  (Read 3501 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Has anyone looked at Numenera yet?
« on: 05 October 2013, 20:42:01 »
I picked up the PDF in part anticipating the new Torment game from InXile. It looks like a pretty cool aesthetic and so far the mechanics appear to be fairly streamlined. Three classes (multiple subtypes) and three stats with their own point pools that act as their own kind of "hitpoint" pool for different attacks (psychological vs physical, etc). The GM never rolls. The players always roll.

Much of the focus is directed towards the ancient tech and collection of it. Kind of like LosTech but with a medieval/fantasy sensibility. The aesthetic seems to be a cross between a Mass Effect grandeur in space, Feudalism that feels like Dune, and The Dark Crystal. Supposedly Sci Fi but with a hard left turn towards fantasy. Pretty interesting so far.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Raggedy_Man

• Corporal
Re: Has anyone looked at Numenera yet?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2013, 08:58:11 »
I bought the dead tree version after reading through it at Gen Con, just based on the fact that it is such a beautiful book.  I haven't had any time to go into any more depth than you have, though.  I could see running just about any type of campaign here; the Dark Tower came to mind as I was reading it, along with the influences you listed.  In fact, I think any campaign could, through its course, touch on any kind of genre very easily.  I'm looking forward to getting a chance to run it.

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
Re: Has anyone looked at Numenera yet?
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2013, 17:10:10 »
One of my players bought the game at GENCON.  He is running a campaign with some of his friends, and we as a battletech group gave it a try.  It's a beautiful book and a very interesting setting.  The rule set is very different, but once you get used to it, it's pretty cool.

Recommended.
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless