Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 161744 times)

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #960 on: 21 September 2018, 19:30:37 »
If this is true (and interesting IMO) it explains a lot... (and hence my disdain of Discovery and curious about the new series with Picard).

https://youtu.be/jLl17YXrAZY?t=6
« Last Edit: 21 September 2018, 19:46:16 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #961 on: 21 September 2018, 20:23:37 »
Staying way the hell outside of Rule 4 territory, but it should be noted that Les Moonves is no longer running CBS.  That won't affect things in the immediate since those contracts are signed, production's underway, and there's film in the can already.  Now...what this means for a year or two out from now, good bloody question.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #962 on: 22 September 2018, 15:46:16 »
The spore drive is very intresting. I would just like to know why it never worked properly and was used on a starship in the "future". It would of been a great weapon vs the Dominion.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #963 on: 22 September 2018, 19:32:17 »
Especially when it works remarkably well in both general movement and tactical situations, i.e. Discovery's Dragonball-Z-esque keep-teleporting-and-shooting the same ship.  You can't even track it.

I guess it's going to be part of the new Trek canon timeline, if that video's accurate (and plans aren't disrupted with Moonves being removed) to what CBS is doing.  Which, I suppose, we'll have jumpships instead of warpdrive in the future stories, unless Discovery's sunk with all hands at some point and the technology and its notes completely lost.  Not likely.

We'll see where Season 2 leaves us, especially with the report of budget-busting in the early episodes and apparent slashing of things later in the season.  Not that that's new to Star Trek at all, TOS was notorious for scraping budgets especially in S3.  Just how many bottle episodes did they have, again?

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #964 on: 23 September 2018, 11:22:56 »
We'll see where Season 2 leaves us, especially with the report of budget-busting in the early episodes and apparent slashing of things later in the season.  Not that that's new to Star Trek at all, TOS was notorious for scraping budgets especially in S3.  Just how many bottle episodes did they have, again?

And that is the (BIG) question my friend...

I hate most of the ideas of Discovery (which I made it clear in previous posts so wont bother to write them again) but at least one thing I must praise in season 1 its the production values of the series. Very beautiful to see and well made cinematography and so on...

If they cut that... were going to see TOS type of stories... one (or two) scenarios and stories that go around those two scenarios... in an already... disturbed (for me anyway) series.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2018, 13:48:36 by Kentares »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #965 on: 23 September 2018, 12:22:06 »
The spore drive is very intresting. I would just like to know why it never worked properly and was used on a starship in the "future". It would of been a great weapon vs the Dominion.

Maybe it's like Listen-Kill Missiles: super powerful for a short time but a new counter gets developed that quickly renders it useless.

Or the Klingons start hosing every Federation ship they encounter with anti-fungal spray.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #966 on: 23 September 2018, 22:02:59 »
Or the Klingons decide to do a bit of well poisoning and render the mycelial network useless for EVERYONE.

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #967 on: 24 September 2018, 03:30:41 »
Speaking of Star Trek, I'd gladly watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe1hKZjCVyM
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #968 on: 25 September 2018, 17:08:16 »

I thought they explained that: while it "worked", it required a living being to control and navigate it, said being not faring too well under such use. So basically the Federation decided to never use it again for ethical reasons.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #969 on: 25 September 2018, 22:09:49 »
I thought they explained that: while it "worked", it required a living being to control and navigate it, said being not faring too well under such use. So basically the Federation decided to never use it again for ethical reasons.
The same ethical reasons that kept the *Romulans*, Klingons, Gorn, and Harry Mudd from ever using it again?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #970 on: 26 September 2018, 05:49:03 »
If this is true (and interesting IMO) it explains a lot... (and hence my disdain of Discovery and curious about the new series with Picard).

https://youtu.be/jLl17YXrAZY?t=6
After watching this video, which I believe to be true since I've tracked what was going on with STD & problems with fan-based attempts to make stories in canon.  I believe Star Trek as we know it is dead. Unless they can pull copyright out of the grips of this crumbling hands of these media giants.  Copy right was severed, but I was shocked that IDIOT in charge hates scifi, even if he does get the boot...Trek is wrecked.  The Picard series can't even be based in current canon he was famous for!  Guy leading it isn't even fan of Star Trek.  So unless someone rescues it, it's dead as we knew it.

Hell, Disney would treated better these people.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #971 on: 26 September 2018, 07:00:47 »
After watching this video, which I believe to be true since I've tracked what was going on with STD & problems with fan-based attempts to make stories in canon.  I believe Star Trek as we know it is dead. Unless they can pull copyright out of the grips of this crumbling hands of these media giants.  Copy right was severed, but I was shocked that IDIOT in charge hates scifi, even if he does get the boot...Trek is wrecked.  The Picard series can't even be based in current canon he was famous for!  Guy leading it isn't even fan of Star Trek.  So unless someone rescues it, it's dead as we knew it.

Hell, Disney would treated better these people.

I agree with most of everything you said there. Disco has changed a lot of the prior history that we all know and love for the last 50 years. It's the problem with the prequels and how it changes the story. I don't know much about the leadership of CBS and Paramount but if they could get together and tap the energy that Trekkes have they can make good story's and make a huge amounts of money for decades to come. They don't need to be all dark like a DC movie but not all light hearted like a TNG episode.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #972 on: 26 September 2018, 07:18:38 »
Im pleased (and sad at the same time) that Im not the only one here with the opinion that the Star Trek I knew since I was a kid is dead... RIP.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #973 on: 26 September 2018, 07:53:16 »
The only problem I have about the argument for it (Disco) looking wrong due to being high tech is this.  We have to remember that Star Trek was a low ass budget show, like super low budget (to the point they were borrowing costumes from theateres etc which is why we had so many nazi episodes or folks dressed as native americans and cowboy planets etc).  And it was also a 1960's vision of THE FUTURE!  (dum-dum-dum!)  So this meant swirly disk tapes, levers, ALL THE COLOURS and flashy buttons.

Remember that the jetsons thought we'd have space cities and the like in 2002.   - https://i.redditmedia.com/PoxDrPq-GVSYvvcVzknKa5-Q7HjR-QLKZ8vm11ySQlo.jpg?s=e6d4b17125a41c3f520f5522e14818b7

And if they tried to do that now, and tried to pass it off as the future for us now, we'd honestly laugh at it and it would look shit. Our expectations have changed and grown.  Aliens was 'the future of the 1980's' and Star Trek was '1960's/70's future' Our future = holoscreens, 3D displays etc.  so for me the visual changes make sense because in the year INSERT YEAR HERE assuming we've not nuked ourselves into obilvion or been eaten by an army of sentient cats and got to ST levels of tech then yeah, holoscreens etc would definately be a thing, or their successor or what ever.  It wouldnt' be spinny castettes, grinding gears, flashy buttons and offensively loud primary colour clothing.

Disco's problem wasn't its looks (apart from the Klingons, but that's an entirely different conversation) it was the characters and their interactions.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2018, 07:55:27 by marauder648 »

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #974 on: 26 September 2018, 07:59:23 »
Stuff

I disagree. One can update the visuals of an old show to current perception without mangling those visuals you want to... "improve".

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #975 on: 26 September 2018, 08:19:53 »
Aliens was 'the future of the 1980's'

No, BattleTech is the future of the 1980s!
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #976 on: 26 September 2018, 08:32:35 »
I think that if they went with Retrofuturistic 1970's in 23whateverdate then you'd be able to do it but only if the show wasn't taking itself seriously (see Orville which does it superbly, but its a comedy, not a serious and gritty space show.  Of they have cannonical reason to do so IE NuBSG where the Galactica was analogue as all hell.  With Trek they can't do this because we've seen the march of tech as the shows came on, and yeah it was a bit jarring to see all these super advanced holo displays etc.  But it worked fine visually with the Kelvin-verse ships and interiors etc. 

I just don't think that a serious show trying to pass off big pannels of flashy buttons and beep-boop computers as the future nowdays would work.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #977 on: 26 September 2018, 11:33:43 »
Either way after having seen the show there was never any reason for them to have decided to proclaim ST:D a prequel in the prime time line.

For the exact same amount of effort they could have proclaimed it something else, called the aliens something other than Klingons*, and changed a few names/relations and it would have been fine while also preventing a lot of needless ill will from the fans.

*To be fair I agree they look terrible and probably need a redesign so the actors can actually express/emote and talk without sounding like they are causing themselves physical harm even if named something else.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #978 on: 26 September 2018, 11:38:52 »
I disagree. One can update the visuals of an old show to current perception without mangling those visuals you want to... "improve".

Not without looking utter horrible and camp. The bridge of TOS was built on what their vision of the furture was on a shoestring budget, but the future went a different path.

I'd love to see a TOS script redone with today's production values, but keeping the whole plot and dialogue as it was, just with todays technology and advances in acting and camera work.

TOS only redeeming qualities is the stories and characters, the production value is mostly on the level of Plan 9 from outer Space.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #979 on: 26 September 2018, 11:42:34 »
Not without looking utter horrible and camp. The bridge of TOS was built on what their vision of the furture was on a shoestring budget, but the future went a different path.

I'd love to see a TOS script redone with today's production values, but keeping the whole plot and dialogue as it was, just with todays technology and advances in acting and camera work.
like what JJ did for the Star Trek movies?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #980 on: 26 September 2018, 11:57:34 »
If the video is correct, the issue is Paramount and CBS can't really use the main canon.  Original CBS/Viacom could use the original copy right, but they're not doing it.

Legally Movie rights absolutely can't use the original canon even if they wanted to.  Which is another tick of anger for old trek fan I am. This not unlike the events thatt FASA triggered for Battletech when they went they spun of their assets and shutdown. Splitting the copyrights 3-way till Sunday.  Now Star Trek franchise is going through the same thing, but at least Battletech's can use the original canon.

Anyways, sorry to distract.  I'm curious who their going install as Captain of Enterprise, since Spock's not on the ship for season 2, and Pike on Discovery.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2018, 05:33:46 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #981 on: 26 September 2018, 12:40:36 »
I'd love to see a TOS script redone with today's production values, but keeping the whole plot and dialogue as it was,

Does, that, include, the, Shatner comma?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #982 on: 26 September 2018, 13:32:33 »
like what JJ did for the Star Trek movies?
Without the OMG lensflare and better sense of scale.
Those would be the first improvements I would of done for the KT films...

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #983 on: 30 September 2018, 06:19:20 »
I've already disavowed any claims that ST:D is prime timeline or an actual prequel.  Any names are just a coincidence, yes including the supposed "Klingons".

Midnight's Edge on youtube did a good article video on the state of the franchise and explains why you are generally correct, though the people at Paramount and CBS won't admit it.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #984 on: 30 September 2018, 07:30:43 »
Midnight's Edge on youtube did a good article video on the state of the franchise and explains why you are generally correct, though the people at Paramount and CBS won't admit it.
Denial first sign of guilt.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #985 on: 24 November 2018, 20:36:32 »
Ok, I went and bought the first season dvd set...just got done watching it...

Overall, not bad...still not sure how well this truly fits into the original universe that it's supposed to be set in, and still REALLY don't like what they did to the Klingons or their ships, but other than that...not really bad...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #986 on: 25 November 2018, 05:31:24 »
Ok, I went and bought the first season dvd set...just got done watching it...

Overall, not bad...still not sure how well this truly fits into the original universe that it's supposed to be set in, and still REALLY don't like what they did to the Klingons or their ships, but other than that...not really bad...

Ruger

It looks like there'll be TNG-style Klingons alongside the DISCO ones in series 2, as well as a TOS-Style D7.

(also, everyone should go check out Calypso, the second Short Trek.  It's fantastic)
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #987 on: 25 November 2018, 05:42:39 »
It looks like there'll be TNG-style Klingons alongside the DISCO ones in series 2, as well as a TOS-Style D7.

So, going the multiple sub-species of Klingon route, or something else?

(also, everyone should go check out Calypso, the second Short Trek.  It's fantastic)

Will see what I can do in between various other stuff...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #988 on: 25 November 2018, 05:58:14 »

Can nobody involved with Trek just change their Klingons without turning it into a whole thing?

I mean, jeeze, just own it. You aren't going to make the complainers any happier trying to have it every way.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #989 on: 25 November 2018, 08:22:59 »
Can nobody involved with Trek just change their Klingons without turning it into a whole thing?

I mean, jeeze, just own it. You aren't going to make the complainers any happier trying to have it every way.
To begin with, how do they explain showing the entire leadership of the Houses of the Empire looking like each other and not TNG or TOS style Klingons?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Register