Author Topic: NFL 2024-2025 Your team hoping for a Swift return to dominance  (Read 1045 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: NFL 2024-2025 Your team hoping for a Swift return to dominance
« Reply #30 on: 29 April 2024, 01:53:21 »
The Chiefs somehow ended up with the guy with the fastest combine 40 yd dash of all time.  I don't know how any AFC GM let's that happen let alone 15 of them but I'm sure as hell not complaining.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #31 on: 29 April 2024, 06:13:07 »
What's one more glorious offensive option in the Chiefs' playbook anyway?  It's just going to make playing against them that much more difficult.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #32 on: 29 April 2024, 08:06:23 »
The Chiefs somehow ended up with the guy with the fastest combine 40 yd dash of all time.  I don't know how any AFC GM let's that happen let alone 15 of them but I'm sure as hell not complaining.

underrated laugh out loud moment of the draft

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 29 April 2024, 13:06:48 »

There was a meme going around listing the 40 yard dash numbers of the Chief's top receivers...and Rashee Rice 119 mph.

I thought the Cowboys did well with the picks they had but still need some more help at running back...Zeke will be helpful on short yardage but not so much between the 20s aside from pass blocking.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #34 on: 30 April 2024, 01:23:04 »
Somebody said there's a enefhell draft going on somewhere in southeast Michigan here.  The taco bell lines are ferocious.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #35 on: 01 May 2024, 08:55:16 »
Denver... ok, so, here's the thing. They're getting blasted, but what was the option for them? As options go, they did pretty well.

They were at #12, but with the trades of prior years they didn't have a great deal to throw in to move up to get one of the top-tier spots for someone like Maye. They had to essentially stay put and hope someone like Nix or Penix fell to them... and then watched the Falcons punch themselves in the groin with the bizarre Penix pick.

So, there's only one remaining major QB on the board that one could turn into a starter in the next year or two, and that's Nix. Is he the best choice in the draft? Well... no. I'm not sold on Caleb Williams being the future for the Bears- his attitude seems to overshadow the talent, I'm really worried he's our next Ryan Leaf/Johnny Manziel guy, gobs of talent and a head case enough to work himself out of the job anyway. But beyond that, I think Maye was the best choice out there overall. Denver had no path to get him, they were going to end up with Penix or Nix, and they got the latter. Is that bad?

Nix is an old rookie- that's negative in that he's that much further than others into his prime already before he takes a snap. He's also been a college QB for five years between Auburn and Oregon, and he's performed very well- he learns the playbook better than many, and seems to be pretty hard to rattle in the pocket. That all fits what Payton likes to run- he's not Drew Brees, but he's closer to that mold in those ways than other rookies might have been (or Zach Wilson, obviously). Bringing in Nix's favorite reciever at Oregon will hopefully help him adjust, giving him his familiar security-blanket on one side of the field and the incomparable Courtland Sutton on the far side. That's solid.

This isn't going to be a good team this year. Period. I'm still leaning towards 5-12 being a good season for them. But the next few years, with Nix at the helm? I have hope, something I haven't had at QB since Manning left. So while I'm under no impression the Broncos are getting a top-tier QB here, they got as good as they could have- and kept Nix from going to Vegas, just as importantly. I'm pretty happy overall.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 01 May 2024, 09:46:04 »
Denver... ok, so, here's the thing. They're getting blasted, but what was the option for them?

NOT TRADE FOR A QB NAMED WILSON! Anything but that.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #37 on: 01 May 2024, 10:57:56 »
NOT TRADE FOR A QB NAMED WILSON! Anything but that.

Well... yeah, I was keeping focused on the draft itself. But... yeah, this was an odd move. I kind of get the coach-messianic complex of 'I, and I alone, can fix this screwup player', and sometimes it actually works- Belechick had a remarkable habit of turning players with attitude problems into stars, or in the case of Randy Moss, BACK into stars. (We'll give him a mulligan on Aaron Hernandez). It CAN happen. More often, it ends up blowing up in the face of the coach.

I have no idea if Zach Wilson can flourish at the pro level at this point. He clearly never was going to in New York- they made the move last offseason to get  his replacement, and when that went down the drain on opening night, he got his second chance. It, ah... didn't go great, spoiler alert. But there were moments, big plays hidden among the rubble, that made you think 'ohhhh, THAT'S why he was picked so high.', and that's- I have to presume- what Payton is looking for, how to get more of that.

He's never going to win the starting job- he's competing for the backup job with Jaret Stidham, and it's an uphill battle for him. Nix is starting, barring injury. But if Wilson is the backup, and ready to spell the team in the event of Nix being unavailable, then... okay. Like I said, this is a 5-12 team at best already, whereas the Jets went into last year looking at making a playoff run. So it's not like he's going to torpedo his team this time the way he did last year- there's no damage to really be done, we just need someone who can take over a little here and there on the way to another loss. If he can do that, and not throw four picks a game... they didn't give up much for him, and maye he can revive himself a little to be flipped somewhere else for a return.

Low-risk, low-asset, modest upside. My biggest worry was that he was 'the plan', and Denver was going to try to revive him instead of picking a QB- with that danger passed, I'm okay with Wilson as the backup moving forward, if he ends up being such.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 01 May 2024, 12:40:01 »
Wait until Payton trades for Wade Wilson next year....

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 02 May 2024, 21:05:58 »
Zach Wilson briefly looked like the second coming of John Elway for exactly one quarter against the Chiefs and I did not like it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #40 on: 03 May 2024, 12:39:12 »
Zach Wilson briefly looked like the second coming of John Elway for exactly one quarter against the Chiefs and I did not like it.

Exactly. There's just enough of that in his resume for us to look at him and think 'ohhhhhh, that's the #2 pick a few years ago in action' rather than 'that's the guy who keeps ruining Sundays for Jets fans and making headlines with other players' moms for all the wrong reasons'. (I still really hope that wasn't actually true, but there's a whole lot of smoke for there not to be a fire there...)

If the Broncos can find a way to get more of the former version than the latter, great- and if not, he's out the door for little lost. I'm honestly not all that upset about Wilson, as I said, now that we know he's not the #1 QB plan this season. To put it another way, the leaky, always-broken Corvette in the driveway is a lot better-looking as a weekend project car that may or may not end up running someday, now that I know there's a dependable car in the garage to act as the day-to-day driver.

+Crow T. Robot+