Author Topic: Infantry Weapons table inquiry  (Read 2427 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Infantry Weapons table inquiry
« on: 21 June 2012, 02:22:59 »
I think I remember somebody on the boards about how the table was generated and how ammunition/number of shots or bursts effected a weapons final stats and I was curious as to how this process effected one shot weapons

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Infantry Weapons table inquiry
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2012, 19:19:44 »
Bump

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2012, 19:50:30 »
Hello,

All of that is now explained on pp. 169-170 of A Time of War Companion. I think the reason I didn't answer back when you asked was that the book was just being finalized at the time... and then I forgot.

(Coincidentally, we were just discussing some errata for that one today...)

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2012, 19:53:44 »
ATOW Companion or the tables I am referring to in Tech Manual?

What I'm actually trying to figure out was if one-shot weapons had had a reduction in damage due to only having a single round, from what I understand of the process having a smaller clip decreases a weapons damage at 'Mech scale play

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2012, 19:59:44 »
Hello,

The AToW Companion rules show how to convert infantry weapons from AToW rules to TW-scale values (which are those you found in TechManual).

And, yes, the formula reduces damage effects for limited ammo capacity weapons (including single shot weapons).

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2012, 05:57:19 »
I thought the thing with ammo was to represent the infantry being figural with ammo, which doesn't apply to OS

Also makes me think that BA wielding infantry weapons should have higher damage values

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2012, 12:06:32 »
Hello,

I thought the thing with ammo was to represent the infantry being figural with ammo, which doesn't apply to OS

It is an abstraction that not only covers an average amount of effective damage per trooper vs. battlefield armor, but also the fact that infantry must spend some of their time reloading while moving under fire. Weapons with low shots per magazine require more frequent reloads, and heavier support-grade weapons often take more time because fewer members of the platoon are likely carrying as much extra ammo for those weapons as they are for the main weapons.

Note that Tactical Operations does have a Disposable Weapons rule that employs the one-shot weapons, enabling infantry to make one attack with their one-shot disposable weapons in place of a standard attack. We are presently working up an errata that multiplies the standard Disposable Weapon attack by 3 times the weapon's listed TechManual value to account for the specific nature of these one-shot weapons as non-reloadable weapons. (Thus, the LAW, listed as a 0.23 damage weapon in TechManual, would be calculated as a 0.69 damage weapon when used for a Disposable Weapon attack, but would only get to do so once per platoon/battle armor squad per scenario.)

Otherwise, expect no further "buffing" for conventional infantry.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2012, 19:11:21 »
Will infantry weapons carried by BA also get a buff?

Sorry, but all of this is making think of writing up some advanced infantry creation rules, likely using RPG stats as a baseline

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2012, 19:30:39 »
Hello,

Only the Disposable Weapons rule will be affected.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas

Register