Author Topic: Canon Hierarchy  (Read 4052 times)

Dread Moores

• Captain
Canon Hierarchy
« on: 01 March 2011, 22:56:38 »
It's not really the right phrase in the title, but I'm not sure what to call it. I was looking through the archive for a post of Herb's that had mentioned the "ranking" as it were, regarding sourcebooks over novels over art. I remember the bit from the corebooks about fiction/art not equaling rules, but I thought that had also been mentioned in the past, regarding looking at sourcebooks first over novels. Does that still hold? An example being, if you have a section in Warriors of Kerensky detailing Clan life or viewpoints..does that hold more "weight" than Jade Falcon novels? Are the novels held as a singular experience that could fall outside of the generalized info in the sourcebook?

Dread Moores

• Captain
Re: Canon Hierarchy
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2011, 23:04:39 »
Just bumping this, with a quick add on point. In this post it is mentioned that "novels are the bedrock of canon and sourcebooks secondary due to being in character" (paraphrasing here). Is that correct? I had assumed that info from sourcebooks were considered more accurate, perhaps incorrectly.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2011, 21:07:09 »
Just bumping to see if there is any response on this. Do novels still rank above all the rest?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2011, 18:17:26 »
Hello,

No.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2011, 20:14:20 »
Not sure if this follow up can be answered, but I'll give it a whirl. If there were conflicting information between an older novel and a more recent sourcebook, for example, which would take precedence? Is there a structure or ranking to know which (art, sourcebooks, novels, etc.) would override the other? Obviously we can ask here in these forums, but if there's a brief ranking that is used as a guide, it just cuts down on questions. :)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2011, 20:59:54 »
Hello,

Newer generally trumps older.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

HABeas2