Author Topic: Boondoogles  (Read 4854 times)

FedComGirl

• Major
Boondoogles
« on: 24 February 2013, 15:56:51 »
I love the Boondoogles XTRO and read that there might me another if enough references could be found. Out of curiosity, how many references are needed? Not including, really ancient vehicles with really ancient weapons, I've come up with 12. Ancient designs brings that up to at least 20. And I'm sure more can be thought up. :) I hope there'll be a Boondoogles II soon. :)

Correction, I can think of 14, without going into antiquity.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2013, 16:08:53 by FedComGirl »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Boondoogles
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2013, 19:24:09 »
Hello,

The target number of any XTR is 13 units, with at least six being BattleMechs.

For Boondoggles, all would have to be failures.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2013, 14:51:14 »
Hi,

Most of them are Battlemechs.

Failures can be anything from functional but poor designs that no one wants to buy (Ostroct II) to falls apart on the first step (Matar). Right?

Would you like the list of ones I've found?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2013, 15:10:58 »
Hi,

I'm torn. I just got through sending and posting a bunch of "we cannot accept unsolicited ideas" messages. If I say yes here, that technically means I'm soliciting. I must ponder this.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2013, 17:50:18 »
No problem. Ponder away. :)

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2013, 19:29:53 »
Still pondering? :)

Would it help if I started a thread listing them like the thread for listing units that don't have stats?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2013, 02:38:31 »
Hi,

Oh, you're still waiting?

Well, I suppose it doesn't quite count as unsolicited if we published the information ourselves somewhere along the way....

If you can name the unit, what it was, why it was a boondoggle, and cite the sourcebook and page where it appeared, I may consider it as a possible entry for a possible second volume of Boondoggles XTR. And then i can possibly give you some mention in the credits.

Possibly.

Thanks,

- Herb

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2013, 04:42:51 »
Hi,

Oh, you're still waiting?

Yes. ;D

Well, I suppose it doesn't quite count as unsolicited if we published the information ourselves somewhere along the way....

If you can name the unit, what it was, why it was a boondoggle, and cite the sourcebook and page where it appeared, I may consider it as a possible entry for a possible second volume of Boondoggles XTR. And then i can possibly give you some mention in the credits.

Possibly.

Thanks,

- Herb

I did my best with the names. Most didn't have a specific designation. I also didn't list every specific piece of art. That would have taken a really long time and I figured you'd want this sooner rather than much later. Mention, if you think I deserve it would be nice, but I'd rather have another Boondoggle volume or two. :)

Here's the list. I'm sorry it took so long. I found more while getting page numbers for you. I'll keep looking to see if I can find more if you want.

Mechs

Various variants of the Locust
with chin turret. Illegal (illegal turret mounted in an illegal location. The novel Far Country pages 115 and 131 talks about the Locust rotating its torso to use its laser. As there is no way the reseen Locust can rotate its torso, so its only the laser that gets rotated.  This is illustrated on the cover of the Wolf’s Dragoon’s sourcebook, and page 45 of The Fox’s Teeth , as well as page 33 Battletech Compendium. Each image shows the turret rotated further and further. The Battletech Compendium image actually has the laser firing into the right arm arc.  The Nova Combat Book for the Locust LCT-1S has the laser swiveling to both sides in much of the art. I'm not sure that source is still canon though.

PPC armed Locust. Has targeting problems and massive overheating as well as gyro problems. TRO:3025 1st Ed. page 8.

LCV-3V Locust Illegal (turret and pintle?) Cranston Snord’s Irregulars

Original Jenner:  Illegal (Quad Turret mounted on a bi-ped mech), also had targeting problems. TRO: 3025 page 26, TRO:3025R page 26, TRO:3039 page 113.

Dasher/Fire Moth Prototype: Illegal (infantry compartments mounted on the arms) also had a nonfunctional MASC TRO:3050U page 114.

Maruader illegal (illegal pintle/turret mount) nonfunctional Autocannon House Kurita page 67, Cranston Snord’s Irregulars page 47,
Illegal armor  no rules  the Valiant Armor is less massive and better able to distribute heat and kinetic energy. It's also lost tech TRO 3035 pg98

Maurader II (Prototype?) Illegal (Illegal chin turret, illegal turret/pintle mount) Wolf’s Dragoons page 109 (art and fluff), Battletech Compendium page 4 (art)

Maruader II illegal (illegal pintle/turret mount) Black Thorns page 33.

Hermes II (early versions) Illegal (Illegal split weapon AC/5. The AC/5 is mounted in the CT and spit to each side. ) nonfunctional Autocannon  TRO:3025 page 40, TRO:3025R page 38, TRO:3029 page 122.

OSR-9C Ostroc II Illegal (Jump Jets illegally mounted in the arms) From a Battledroids models kit http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ostroc_Mk_II

Wolverine (early versions)  Illegal (Quad turret on a bi-ped mech that was later restricted to where it could fire.) TRO:3025 page 70. Kell Hounds page 29.

“Hedgehog” Three-man Digging Machine Illegal (Super heavy Mech using standard rules) and it has 3 legs and 3 crewmembers. TRO: VA page 214, TRO:VAR page 220

? no info other than it was a failed Star League design that inspired the Hedgehog.  Probably is a super heavy mech with three legs. TRO: VA page 214, TRO:VAR page 220

TRP-1 Trooper poor design, nonfunctional leg actuators and possibly heat sinks. Wolf’s Dragoons page 105. TRO:3039 page 243, Era Digest: Age of War page 11 and 26.

UrbanMech UM-R50 illegal (no arms) TRO:3025 page 20, TRO:3025R page 22, TRO:3039 page 108, MUL http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/5328/urbanmech-um-r50

Rifleman III    no information Historical: Liberation of Terra 2 page 36

Explorer Mechs
     Amundsen nonfunctional internal structure
     DeGamma  radioactive do to insufficient engine shielding.
     Burton nonfunctional gyro
     Cook   poor design
TRO:VA page 218, TRO:VAR page 216

Land Air Mechs
Several unnamed Clan prototype LAMs,
Phoenix Hawk LAM C,
Stinger LAM C,
Wasp LAM C

Illegal (either the second cockpit forces the moving of the head avionics crit, or there’s two-three people sitting in the same cockpit crit.) They all have gyro problems and poor design   Novel: Freebirth, 141, 145, 174,175, 199,200,220, 222-246.

Screamer LAM
no information Historical: Liberation of Terra 2 page 36

Scorpion LAM  (Defiance Industries)  Illegal Quad LAM  TRO:PP page28, XTRO: Boondoggles page 5. This one depends entirely upon whether or not Defiance Industries Scorpion LAM is different from  Brigadier Corporation’s Scorpion LAM.

Wasp LAM Prototype nonfunctional conversion system, nonfunctional weapons, and targeting problems. Also difficult ejection but I think that applies to all Wasp LAMs.  TRO:3025 page 125.   I know the problems got fixed but since the Capellan Confederation still uses them I thought I'd include them.

Handheld weapon Mechs     
Stinger, Phoenix Hawk, Griffin, Wolverine, Battlemaster, Charger,

poor design, limited application for all

TRO:3025 pages 15, 50-51, 64-65, 55, 106, 114-115, Blood of Heroes page 19, Tactical Operations page 315, TRO:Prototypes page205, Battleforce cover, pages 52, 80, Battletech Manual: The rules of Warfare page 24 (hand actuator critical hit) among many sources.   

I know you want the Jettison Capable Quirk to represent these mechs but nothing in that quirks says the weapon has to be dropped before the hands can be used, nor does it cover any of TacOps rules concerning their use. It also doesn’t fit with the TacOps fluff about problems with weight and bulk as well as fears of them being stolen and used against their owners in battle. To follow the rules the mechs used to tesh handheld weapons have to be different from the ones listed in the stats.

Dual Cockpit Mechs 
various variant conversions of Orion, Marauder, Battlemaster, Zeus, Atlas, Grand Dragon, Warhammer, Cyclops,   
   poor design, limited application all    Battletech Companion pages 51 and 52

I know officially, the Command Console replaced this equipment but it doesn't match the conversions in the book or the capabilities of the dual cockpit.

Vehicles
LB-MOB-50 Long Tom Rail variant
  limited application  TRO:3025 page 186, TRO:3025 page 142, TRO:3039 page 78 

Aerospace
Slayer Aerospace Fighter prototype
Illegal (turret on a fighter), nonfunctional turret) TRO:3025 page 144-145, TRO:3025 page 168-169

correction

Jonah Space Submarine
possibly illegal dual motive system or nonfunctional micro thrusters and poor design. TRO:VA page 170, TRO:VAR page 170 IP3: Interstellar Expeditions page 112.

Dropships
Cargomaster
TRO:3026R pages 116-117 poor design too expensive

Cargoking TRO:3026R pages 118-119 poor design too expensive

Jumpship
Quetzalcoatl-Scout
TRO:3026 pages126-127  limited application
« Last Edit: 19 March 2013, 16:57:57 by FedComGirl »

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2013, 08:11:57 »

Additional

Mechs
Hatchetless Hatchetman
poor design/ limited interested?  TRO:3025 page 49 stats

Hatchetman (Lyran)    missing (Booby trap. Lyran Hatchetman were equipped with a destruct system timed to explode if the gyro tilted or actuators were removed beyond a certain point.  TRO:3025 pg. 48

added
EXT-4A Exterminator  poor design only 2 production runs. Illegal (heat baffles weren't lost so mech is still difficult to detect using IR. TRO:3025R pages 82+83, TRO:3039 page , TRO:3039 page 208.

Royal Stealth Protoype? Grasshopper No info other than designed during the SL Civil War and that the stealth equipment was stripped before production in 2780.    probable limited application or poor design  The war was over and there weren't that many Royal units left.   TRO:3039 page 150

Trebuchet introduced 2780 with more advanced tech but was one of the first to be redesigned to use older tech.  possibly limited application or poor design? TRO:3039 page 138

Trebuchet -   no information    (several  variants consisting of 1 or 2  experimental conversions.)TRO3025, pg. 60, TRO:2035R pg 62,

Frankenmechs
Maruader/Warhammer Frankenmech   Illegal construction 75 ton mech using  70 ton mech's legs   nonfunctional internal structure .  seen in The Periphery Sourcebook page 69.   

Other Frankenmechs could considered boondoggles depending on if they worked or not.

Vehicles
Partisan AA Tank    illegal equipment (Pre-introduction C3/C3i  equipment with AA and multi-track targeting and automated gunnery.  The AntiAir Flak System 1 can track up to 200 airborne targets and fire at the most optimum target.  It also has built in pre introduction C3/C3i capabilities that allow several Partisans to act as one. It can’t identify ground targets though. Just aim and fire at them.)  Illegal equipment (Drone Remote System doesn't match rules.)  TRO:3026 page 72, TRO:3026R page 76 , TRO:3036 page 88    (TRO:3026 and 3026R also have illegal ammo)

Question
Would mechs and vehicles built using fractional accounting rules be considered boondoggles? I know they've been errata'd to be rules compliant in newer TROs but the stats still exist and there are rules to support them. Mostly. I would think that they could be experimental/limited production variants with very non standard parts and even some nonfunctional equipment and so on. Should I list them?
« Last Edit: 30 March 2013, 02:19:30 by FedComGirl »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2013, 09:04:47 »
Hello,

Thank you for the citations.

No, fractional accounting is one thing that is NOT being handled in XTRs; that produces more headaches than fun for us.

Thanks,

- Herb

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2013, 02:49:21 »
Hello,

You're welcome. :)

Yeah, I can understand that. It's better to have fun.

Thanks

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2013, 22:52:20 »
Hello,

I found some more possible boondoggles. I do have a question though. There's a few combat vehicles that have quarters, fold out bunks, and/or food prep and storage areas. Quarters aren't legal equipment on combat vehicles. Not sure why. I was wondering though if they'd be considered part of the vehicle's cockpit, the way they are in mechs, or an as yet unnamed/ruled quirk?

Oh! I also added the Marauder's lost tech armor to the list above.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2013, 09:01:37 »
Hello,

You do realize that Boondoggles gives us the Illegal Quirk now, right?

Thanks,

- Herb

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2013, 00:50:28 »
Hello,

Yes, I do know that. :) But I also know that there are quirks that that do the same as equipment. I wasn't sure if you'd consider instances of quarters to be the same or not. From your reply it sounds like instances of quarters would be considered equipment, so I'll list them too. :)

Thanks

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2013, 03:38:18 »
Hello

Here's some more units that could fit as boondoggles. Mostly there's legality issues but there's also some that just didn't work well. There's more but I haven't gotten them typed up yet.I also updated the list above some. I hope this helps. :)

Mechs

Urbanmech MG variant
   Poor design  (technological step backwards from small pulse laser)  TRO:3050R pg 70

Hermes (early version with standard armor and vehicle flamer)    Poor Design ?  Nonfunctional (electronics)   TRO:2750 pg 22.

Hermes HER-1S, -1A,-3S, and early version   Illegal  (weapon/targeting system, the Alexis Photon Target Acquisition System doesn’t have rules.  It  acts like a Streak system but lasers generate heat .) TRO:2750 pg 22, TRO:3025R pg 14, TRO:3036 pg 250, TRO:3050U pg190.

EXT-4D Exterminator    Illegal   (pre-introduction Reflective Armor   It has standard armor with improved anti-laser ablatives to the first 4 layers.) TRO:2750 pg38, TRO:3050R pg 136.

Wyvern WVE-5N, -6N         Illegal  (pre-introduction Armored Components?  Or there’s another class of laser.  The Nightwing Large Laser is older, bulkier, and heavier than newer models.) TRO:2750 pg 28,TRO:3025 pg 52, TRO:3050R pg 104, TRO:3050U pg196.

Thug THG-11E   Illegal weapon?  (The Tiegart PPC is 10% smaller than others. The Thug had to be extensively modified to use Donal PPCs on the 10E variant. I’d say nonstandard parts quirk but it could be a step to the Clan’s Standard PPC.)   TRO:2750 pg 48, TRO:3050R pg 160, TRO:3039 pg275.

Marco   Illegal  (two man collapsible cabin mounted in the rear torso.)   Not sure (small observation platform across the shoulder.)    TRO:VA page 218-219, TRO:VAR page 216-217

ANH-1A Annihilator   Unnamed House Copies     no info other than expensive and none was a satisfactory production model.  Wolf's Dragoons page 101

SCP-1N Scorpion   Illegal (construction, Heat Sinks in legs.   The Vox 330 rated engine contains all 10 heat sinks.)  Illegal (pre-introduction chemical double strength or pre-introduction clan double heat sinks, or some as yet unnamed lostech double heat sinks.  The Scorpion’s specially constructed heat sinks are distributed to all 4 legs allowing the mech to vent nearly twice as much heat, even when standing in water. ) Possibly illegal   (mixed heat sink types. )    illegal? (Weak belly armor (quirk?)) TRO3025, pg. 68

Scorpion (art)   Poor design/limited application?  Command console, 2x Vehicular Grenade Launchers on the side torsos, spotlight on the right torso under the PPC (quirk?) and another weapon mounted in the left torso belod the cockpit. Possibly extra com equipment, and liquid cargo/ammo or coolant pod in the rear side torsos. TRO:3025 page 69.   TRO:3050 page 135 doesn’t have the other weapon.  The art on page 48 Tactical Handbook only has the spotlight.

Griffen-IN   Illegal (hand held PPC.)  Illegal (no rules, armor baffles, pre intro modular armor?) TRO:3025 page64-65, Tactical Operations page 315, TRO:Prototypes  pg 205.

Spider   Illegal (cost.   The Aberdovey MkIII medium lasers are considered the top quality available and are more expensive.)  TRO:3025, pg. 18, TRO:3025R pg 20

Locust Jump Jet - poor design?   Modified with jump jets    TRO:3025, pg. 18

Ostscout   illegal? (Sensors located outside the chassis and moved by actuator systems?)  no rules (sensors can be Can be overloaded with info    TRO:3025, pg. 28, TRO:3039 pg 285

Cicada PPC variant     Illegal   (PPC on the center torso.) TRO:3025 pg. 36, TRO:3025R pg 34  (I think this one was errated to the CDA-3C but the 3025 TROs did say it was experimental., so it could be the -3C’s prototype. Or not.)

Vulcan    illegal? (no rules, specially vented jump jets reduce heat in its rear areas.  ???), TRO:3025 pg. 42, TRO:3025R pg 42, TRO:3025R pg 42, TRO:3039 pg 124.

Vindicator -  illegal   (equipment/no rules, coolant jacket. The Coolant Jacket has water intakes mounted around the forward end of the Smasher PPC.  The end is dipped into water and water drawn up to cool the PPC. Steam comes out the other end. Process took 10 seconds.)     illegal?   (Armored door covering the LRM Launcher.  I’m guessing this would be a quirk since there’s so many mechs and vehicles with armored covers. )  Illegal (too many items in the head or pre-introduction small cockpit? The head mounted medium laser is protected by a thick cooling jacket. I’m guessing it’s the equipment  Laser Insulator since it also protects as well as cools. It and the laser also cause a bulge in the cockpit which makes it cramped for taller pilots, and interferes with the ejection system.)  TRO:3025  pg. 52, TRO:3025R pg 50, TRO:3039 pg 130.

Enforcer   illegal (No rules/equipment cooling jacket.  It not only cools but it protects innards AC in a brawl,

Enforcer variant    above plus  Illegal (pre-introduction SLDF tech compact engine)   TRO:3025 pg. 56,  TRO:3025R pg 58, TRO:3039 pg134

LAMs
Advanced Stinger LAM
    Illegal  (Constructed with XLE, ES, and FF Armor. ) Nonfunctional (Conversion System)              TRO:3085 pg 292

Unnamed LAM Protoype      poor design (rejected in favor of the Phoenix Hawk LAM) TRO:2750 pg 78

Various Wasp LAM variants     poor design and nonfunctional weapons  (Many firms developed conversion systems for Wasps but weapons were inaccurate or inoperable. ) TRO:3025 page 128

Wasp LAM handheld weapon   Illegal/quirk   art TRO:3025 page 129

Vehicles
Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank  (3026)
  Would this one be a support vehicle? Crew of 4 with antiquated communications and recon equipment.   Originally had a tube antenna in front that was replaced by a machine gun. Has no targeting system.  Is cheaper to buy another Skulker than newer electronics.    Illegal   (lower tech Remote sensors that can’t be deployed by the dispenser because they won't fit through the tube and are deployed by hand.)  Illegal (for combat vehicles: Quarters for 4) Illegal  (for combat vehicles: no targeting system. )   TRO:3026 pg, 14, TRO:3026R pg 18. 

Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank  (3039 with advanced sensors) Are there rules for navigating using only sensors? Illegal  (Quarters for 4) TRO:3039 page 24

Skulker “Matahari”             Illegal   (mounts a Null Signature System? It uses baffles and insulation to be quieter and cooler so it can slowly drive past enemy sensors.)TRO:3039 page 24

Warrior H-7 Attack Helicopter (TRO:3026 version that’s faster)  Illegal   (remote sensor dispenser weighs .25 tons) TRO:3026 pg16, TRO:3026R pg20.

Karnov and all tilt rotor vehicles  no rules for movement as airplanes.
Karnov UR Transport “Stealth”     Illegal (mounts a Null Signature System? Says the engine and rotor baffles make it an extra quiet stealth version.) TRO:3036 pg 40.

Pegasus Scout Hover Tank    Illegal (reinforced internal structure . 64.3% stronger.) Illegal (no rules for the Exeter Long scan can detect enemy vehicles and troops 30km away and presumably weighs 1 ton. [TROs 3026/3026R] The Recon Look Communications identifies them by their silhouette, speed, and their seismic and electronic noise.)   Missing (Transboost Communications Equipment and it’s cost. Is it just a 1 ton Com. Equipment or a quirk? If the latter, what about the cost?)  Illegal  (No rules. Automatic equipment. The Salamander Systems CommPhase Unit can automatically fire at the easiest target to hit.)          TRO:3026 pg 30-31, TRO:3026R pg 34-35, TRO:3039 pg 44-45.

Pegasus Scout Hover Tank    Illegal  (variant with multiple turrets. Front mounts a medium laser, rear mounts two retractable SRM Launchers. Also mounts Machine Guns in sponsons) Mechwarrior page 38

Gabriel      Illegal (no rules automatic target acquisition system. It has an automated turret.)  Illegal (pre intro targeting computer. It can aim at specific locations.)   TRO2750, pg. 84; TRO30500, pg. 148; TRO3050R, pg. 188

Rotunda   Illegal (breaks the heat neutral rule. The Amdecker 300 Large Laser sometimes generates  heat unpredictably damaging the weapon and cause monitoring and venting problems)  Illegal (Convertible cockpit/Quarters)   TRO:3050R, pg. 194; TRO:2750 pg.90; TRO:3050U, pg. 154

Are the cosmetics equipment from Solaris VII Mappack still legal?  It’d use the Cosmetic Accessories to disguise itself.  Solaris VII Mappack page 62-64.
How much cargo can you carry in a rumble seat?

Cyrano VTOL   Illegal (Fuersturm-C Large laser weighs almost 5 tons? Nonstandard parts for sure but how close to 5 tons is it? I know it doesn’t mean much when things are rounded up but if you’re using the fractional counting rules it could make a difference. It could also be  a step to Clan Tech.)    Illegal (pre into targeting computer. I’d say it was just improved targeting but the Sky Tracer WL makes adjustments.)       TRO:3050R pg. 198; TRO:2750 pg. 94; TRO3050V, pg. 158

Lightning   Illegal (no rules  Collision avoidance radar and computer system. It detects objects at a distance and adjusts speed and heading to avoid them but can be overridden.)   Illegal? (No rules. Special thrusters for increased maneuvering.)   Illegal (Equipment/Partial WIGE Motive system. Partial wings allow jumps of 2 meters. That’s flat out on level terrain. How high would it jump going downhill or from a higher level to a lower one?) TRO:2750, pg 96; TRO3050R, pg. 100; TO 3050V, pg. 160

Nightshade   with chin turret   Poor design?  Cargo space seems to be important and a turret would completely eliminate that for the 3050 version. There isn’t room on the 2750 one. TRO:2750 page 92; TRO:3050R page196.        

Kanga Jump Tank - Illegal (missing drone equipment. The AL2200 Computer can operate the vehicle on a preprogrammed route. It can also simultaneously target 4 enemy vehicles or installations.)   illegal  (no rules. Jump Jets would explode when hit.  Where those prototype versions?)    TRO:2750, pg. 100; TRO:3050R, pg 206; TRO:3050U, pg. 166

Kanga KGA-3X Prototype   Never deployed. Mounted a turret.   Poor design?  Non-functional? (Balance problems?)  Plus items listed above?   TRO:3050U, pg. 166,    XTRO:Mercs, pg. 10

Kanga Jump Tank  Pure jump tanks with lost motive system       Illegal? (no motive system.) They’d also have the same issues as above. TRO:2750, pg. 100; TRO:3050U, pg. 166

Unnamed Jump Tanks few made no other information   Tactical Operations page 348

Unnamed Artillery Vehicles   Poor designs.  More than a dozen designs submitted. Only a few prototyped.  All carried the Thumper Artillery and were slower than the Thor.       TRO2750, pg. 104, TRO3050U, pg. 168

Bulldog Medium Tank       Illegal (weapon with no rules. Gas laser. The Bulldog Large Laser used an energy capacitor to release energy held in a krypton gas container.)    TRO3026, pg. 58; TRO 3026R, pg. 62

Pathtrack Drone & NapFind Drone - (3039 version)     Illegal (no targeting system/sensors) TRO:3036, pg. 71

Pathtrack Drone & NapFind Drone -(3026 version) - Illegal (no rules for sensor equipment)  TRO3026, pg. 61; TRO3026, pg. 64-65

Monitor Heavy tank   Illegal (weapon. The Parti- kill PPC doesn’t use capacitors. It uses magnetic bottles. The energy “shell” has a maximum range of 18 hexes.  It disintegrates at 540 meters, so it can’t use extended or LOS ranges. I’m not sure it could use a PPC Capacitor since it doesn’t use them.)  Illegal? (turret and location location.  The SRM Launcher is mounted on a second turret on top of the main turret, 120 arc of fire. From the art, I’d say it was the LRM Launcer, not the SRM.) Missing? (The medium laser looks like it’s in a sponson turret.)      Illegal (pre-introduction C3 Equipment with active probe and TAG?.  The TargiTrack717 Targeting System can track targets through any terrain and combine its fire with other missile units to strike a particular target.)    TRO:3026, pg. 64; TRO:3026R, pg. 68 TRO:3039, pg. 74

Pikes support vehicle    Optional illegal (stealth equipment.   The EmmisionKill cuts exhaust emissions making it difficult to see in infared but the tank becomes gas hog)    TRO3026, pg. 66; TRO3039, pg. 76; TRO3026R, pg. 70

Monitor Naval Vessel      the kits fit on a variety of hull shapes. Wouldn’t that make it hard to identify? If yes, could the Cosmetic:  Accessories be used?    TRO:3026 page 68, TRO:3026R page 72, TRO:3036 page 82.   Solaris VII Mappack page 62-64.
Question. Is the art from 3026 the faster single AC/20 variant mentioned in TRO:3039?

J. Edgar Light Hover Tank – illegal (cost the StarSlab/7 armor is more expensive  than the Prrotect Armor that often replaces it. Why is that?)  Illegal?  (no rules Obsolete electronics)   TRO3026, pg. 20; TRO3026, pg. 29

Sea Skimmer Hydrofoil    missing (no passenger space for civilian observers  or for nuclear demolition charges.) Illegal (no rules for 1 kiloton nuclear demolition charge)
Hunter - early versions - nonfunctional electronics (first few hundred the tracking system would burn out the communications equipment.)       TRO3026, pg. 28; TRO3926R, pg. 32

Drillson Heavy Hover Tank – illegal (weapon. The Cyclops Eye Large laser uses both laser and PPC tech. It’s also easier to maintain and manufacture. Functions as a laser under standard rules but can it use alternate rules? If so which ones?    TRO3026, pg. 50; TRO 3026, pg. 54

Demolisher MK1    Illegal/nonfunctional construction? (Doesn’t vent heat from the AC/s. Required heat sinks and the crew has to wear environmental/coolant  suits.)   Illegal/Nonfunctional (Electronics.  First fix used massive power amplifiers as part of the engine. The second fix used a smaller but more expensive more efficient engine  with power amplifiers.)   Motive system improved on the  MKII (3026) variant. Number of crew(3-7) varies depending on age.       Mechwarrior, pg. 36, 61, TRO3026, pg, 70, 74; TRO3026R, pg. 74, 78; TRO3039, pg. 86,90.   MkI Commander’s Coolant Suit TRO:3026 page 127.    Mechwarrior art shows variant with less armor and anti-infantry weapons add.

Unknown VTOL with heat problems.   There must be one or there wouldn’t be a coolant suit on page 126 TRO:3026.

Sturmfeur Heavy Tank  various prototypes with various LRM configurations.   All had problems with colliding missiles. Not sure how to classify that.  Illegal (targeting equipment?   Mounted in turret, the HighLight Tracking Module keeps track of each missile rack’s target and the BlindFire Radar Targeting System can track up to 200 targets.  It sounds like some kind of Probe coupled with a MaxTech Multi-Trac II. It is mounted.)   Illegal (can’t make use of the Combat Vehicle Escape Pod.  The crew can’t move around inside the tank.   TRO3026, pg. 76; TRO3025R, pg. 80 MaxTech page 66

Ontos Heavy Tank Prototype – illegal/nonfunctional (heatsinks + power amplifier. When all 8 lasers fired the heat would surge through the heat sinks and fuse the power amplifier.    TRO:3026 page 78, TRO3039, pg. 94

Behemoth Heavy Tank (extra turrets) - poor design?  Missing (Sponson turrets.  A MG and SRM-2  are mounted in ball turrets on the sides.)  Missing (second turret. 2 SRM-2s are mounted in a turret in the front. Looks more like the second turret is on the main turret.)   Illegal (quarters for 5, extra spacious).    TRO:3026 page 80.

Neptune Submarine - illegal (missing extra fuel tank for hydrogen peroxide) Also missing range diesel fuel and hydrogen peroxide fuels.  Also says that diesel fuel is cheaper and that hydrogen peroxide degrades the engine performance.)     TRO:3026 page 82, TRO:3026R page 86,   TRO3039, pg. 98

Seahorse Submarine    What fuel does the Seahorse use under water?  Does it have multiple tanks with Petrochemical to use on the surface in one and Hydrogen peroxide to use underwater in the other?    TRO:VA +TRO:VAR page174,

Marten Scout VTOL      Illegal - cargo bay can’t deploy remote sensors    Illegal – (Null signature system? Specially ducted and muffled exhaust systems reduce infrared and audio signatures. The fuselage design reduces radar signature.) TRO3025R pg. 92;

Ferret Light Scout VTOL (remote sensor) - illegal (remote sensor display - only 15 sensors)    TRO3026, pg, 4- 5; TRO3026R, pg. 8-9

Savanna Master prototype? (there was one) - illegal (remote sensor dispenser weighing .25 tons)    TRO3026, pg. 6; TRO3026R, pg. 11

Marksman   2750 vintage, nonfunctional? (Motive System, Throws tracks at flank speed.) Illegal, (2nd  targeting computer, used to direct fire artillery)    Illega? (Art wise the turret has a restricted firing arc and can’t fire to the left side of the front arc.)    TRO:2750, pg. 108; TRO:3050R, pg. 212; TRO:3050U, pg. 172

Magi   Illegal, (3 independent target acquisition computers. Can engage 3 targets simultaneously with one gunner. It normally has three.) Illegal? Nonfunctional?  (Armor, Abrupt maneuvers cause cracks.)  missing? (Side lasers appear to be in sponsons)    TRO:2750, pg. 110; TRO:3050R, pg. 214;TRO:3050U, pg. 274

Shrek PPC Carrier    Illegal (weapon, Magnetic lenses at the muzzle allow the PPCs to fire beyond the limits of the turret’s current facing.) TRO:3026 page,  74,   TRO: 3026R page 78, TRO:3039 page 90

Burke      Illegal/No Rules  (When all 3 PPCs hit at the same instant they can overload a Mech’s computer or jam communications or targeting data temporarily. Does that happen for all PPC hits or only those from Chalker Model 25 Patical Cannons?  What about other units that are hit with 3 PPCs at the same time? SLDF Mechs carry dampers to channel out such power bursts but member stats mechs don’t.  It almost sounds like the Centurian weapon system  was mounted but that one effects mech’s heat levels.)    Illegal (Targeting System,  when working with the LRM Launcher, the Scope 30 RNDST accounts for trajectory, ECM, and atmospheric conditions. )  TRO2750, pg. 112; TRO3050R, pg. 216; TRO3050U, pg. 176

Puma PM001-PM005 (possibly others)    Illegal?  (turret with restricted firing arc, LRM-20s mounted in sponson turrets with 60 degree rotation forwards only. TRO:2750 page 118
Puma   PMM001 – poor sealing/nonfunctional (outdated environmental controls. Crews died from gas and radiation. Temperatures of 120 degrees hindered operation.   TRO:2750, pg. 118; TRO:3050R, pg. 272, 
Puma PMM002 - Fixed above, ammo feed problem (LRM)  TRO:2750, pg. 118; TRO:3050R, pg. 272, 
Puma PMM003 - Fixed above, illegal (not heat neutral,  laser coolant coils altered, no cooling jacket/poor cooling jacket quirks not available)  TRO:2750, pg. 118; TRO:3050R, pg. 272, 
Puma PM004   no info
Puma  unnamed variants   illegal (armor pre-introduction Battle Armor.   Mounts Prototype Amberstar Weave MK III to reduce the effects of heat and unlucky hits to the turret and track joints.  Workable versions would appear on Clan Battle Armor centuries later.)  TRO:3050U; pg. 182

Maybe?
Puma II    has better sloping armor and more power than a standard Puma and mounts several large lasers and LRM-15s.      

Fury Original   poor design. (Medium laser mounted on a second turret. Procurement officers considered it unnecessary.)   TRO:2750, pg. 114;
Fury (Royal?)   Illegal   (Pre introduction C3 computer.  Nirasaki-400X Command Computer weighs 1.5 tons and adds 1 crew member. No rules available.  Was removed to mount a medium laser and .5 tons of armor to make the Fury II sold to houses. )   TRO:3050R pg. 218; TRO:3050U, pg. 178

Aerospace Fighters
Trident
    Illegal  (It has improved sensors but isn’t eligible for the quirk) TRO:2750 pg 58

Spad     Illegal  (Pre-introduction stealth and reflective armors.  The wing shape and special alloy in the wing tips project electronic “echos” that wreck havoc with enemy targeting systems and the Carbondale III plating deflects laser shots after they penetrate the outer skin.      Illegal (Turret. The Allied Technologies Model 1 small laser mounted behind the cockpit is fully rotational to fire to the rear at pursuing ships.)   TRO:2750 pg 62, TRO:3050U pg 228.

Zero   Illegal weapon (The BLW Blow Mark III is a variable powered large laser with 5 levels ranging from disrupting electronics and tracking systems to to cutting through armor.) TRO:2750 pg, TRO:3050U pg 230

Gotha     Illegal (pre-introduction reflective armor. Charbondale IV Ferro-Aluminum deflects incoming shots.)    Nonfunctional? (Targeting system.   The Ringo Plant 88 can generate so much noise  that it jams the other sensors blinding itself.

Ironsides    Illegal (pre-introduction compact engine), Nonfunctional? (Medium Lasers. The can cause internal explosions when they’re extensively used.)    TRO:2750 pg 74, TRO:3050U pg 240

Conventional Fighter
Guardian Fighter
    no rules (air intake on top reduces radar signature).  No rules (Obsolete electronics. Put it at a disadvantage against more advanced units.)    TRO3026, pg. 12; TRO3026, pg. 16; TRO3039, pg. 178

Register