Author Topic: Tech Ratings vs Introdates  (Read 3298 times)

FedComGirl

• Major
Tech Ratings vs Introdates
« on: 29 March 2011, 09:32:50 »
I'm still really confused by them since they conflict in a lot of areas. For example Internal Combustion Engines are Tech B and C. Page 122 in Tech Manual says that Tech C is Common Tech (21st to 22nd Centuries) But ICEs have an introduction date of pre-space flight which by the same page is Tech A (19th to early 20th Centuries). Shouldn't they be Tech Level A? Heat Sinks were introduced in 2022 but have a tech rating of D but Standard Lasers which were introduced 300 years later have a Tech Rating of C???

The conflict isn't limited to specific items either. Going by the Tech Ratings some vehicles can't even be built when they were introduced. I asked about it on the old forums and found out that the Combat Vehicle construction rules aren't good until the 2400's. Those built before use Support Vehicle rules. The only thing is most support Vehicles can't be built when they're supposed to. Many vehicles predate WWI or were first introduced during it. Others started seeing use between the WWI and WWII. That would make them all Tech Level A (Pre-Spaceflight). Instead most are Tech Level B or C. (Early Spaceflight - Common 21st-2ddn Centuries)

That's confusing in itself but some conflict between vehicle types. Combat VTOLs are Tech Level B but Support VTOLs are Tech Level C. That means Combat VTOLs should be available before Support VTOLs but Combat Vehicle Construction rules are not available until the Age of War (2400). How can a lower tech vehicle not be available before a higher tech one?

Then there's the whole Aerospace Vehicle thing. All of the Aerospace Fighters components were introduced by 2030 except their armor but they can magically have armor from 400 years in the future which no other vehicle is allowed to have even support versions of. Only Aerospace fighters before 2400's use the primitive rules. I don't mind that but it means another vehicle can't be built using the basic rules until a lot later and the armor is still magical.

We also have Satellites and Space Stations were all introduced in the 20th Century but have a 21st Century rating. How can you have Grave Decks which are Tech B before you can have a space vehicle to put them in? Then there's the jumpships. They're Tech D but they were introduced in 2107.

All these conflicts makes building period pieces pretty hard. You have to ignore the tech ratings or the introdates, either of which makes the design illegal. So what's a designer to do?

And of course there's things like how do you build chemical powered space vehicles. I did ask about that one but never got a reply. I'm hoping they'll be rules in Interstellar Operations. I'm also hoping to find out how industrial mechs were built during their first 50+ years of existance. Still, as great as having those rules would be, having the conflict between tech ratings and introdates solved would be even nicer. Could someone please tell me what I'm missing?

FedComGirl

• Major
Re: Tech Ratings vs Introdates
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2011, 23:05:04 »
bumpity

still hoping for an answer

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2011, 00:04:18 »
Hello,

I'm afraid to.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2011, 01:14:56 »
Why? is it a big giant oops! thing?

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2011, 09:06:06 »
Why? is it a big giant oops! thing?

More of a hesitancy to define a pulp science fiction game with real world logic. There's no need to go that far in defining needless detail for a fictionalized universe.
Eh.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2011, 01:51:26 »
More of a hesitancy to define a pulp science fiction game with real world logic. There's no need to go that far in defining needless detail for a fictionalized universe.

???

I'm not asking for needless details. I'm asking why the rules are conflicting. If a vehicle is available in a certain era I should be able to build it. If a item is introduced at a certain date I should be able to use it. Shouldn't the Tech Levels match that?

How do you build a vehicle when the engine or some other much needed component isn't available for at least another 40 to 50 years or more? Shouldn't all the components for the vehicle be available before the vehicle can be built? Also shouldn't a vehicle be the same tech level regardless of whether it's a combat or support vehicle?

And I know Battletech is science fiction but when real life events are included shouldn't the tech match them? As it is right now according the the Tech level rules WWII was fought entirely with infantry, small airships under 4 tons, steam powered trains, steam powered cars, and steam powered ships under 300 tons. No internal combustion engines. No tanks. No fighters, No battleships. No carriers. No helicopters. No submarines.  Many of them predate WWI, were introduced during or just after but the Tech Level rules say they're not available until 1950! The introduction dates say they were but the Tech levels say no. That's a big conflict.

Then we have things like Crippen Station. The plans for which date to 1994 and was put in orbit in 2005. Yes, 2005 is 21st Century and Tech Level C however spaceflight was taking place since the 60's. Unless the actual historical figures mentioned flew a lot later than they did in real life. Only there's no rules for any vehicles to get there. Even if we did have rocket engines, shouldn't things like Environmental Sealing be available before the rocket ships actually get into space? If Battletech space flight happens around the same same time as real life, wouldn't things like Environmental Sealing would need to be available at least 40 years sooner?

It's those conflicts that cause my suspension of disbelief to come crashing down.  :(I'm not asking for specific dates for everything. Just that the rules don't conflict with each other.

Rocket engines would be nice too.

So what do we do? Toss the Tech level rules or make them match the introdates?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2011, 21:13:42 »
Hello,

Ultimately, it's up to your desires at your table. One thing to consider is that the BattleTech universe (much like reality) is far less precise than game rules can make it. For this reason, we occasionally see things that defy explanation in the setting, especially if we obsess over numbers.

Otherwise, I'd be afraid to delve into more detail, as my time is generally rather limited for the research that would surely need to follow.

Hopefully, this helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2011, 02:33:17 »
um... okay.

Thank you :)

HABeas2