Author Topic: Buildings on the WWE2018 Dig, Defend, or Die map  (Read 2067 times)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Buildings on the WWE2018 Dig, Defend, or Die map
« on: 11 September 2019, 09:50:02 »
Quick query - does anyone know what the 'recommended' type/CF is for the buildings on the WWE2018 DigSite map, as used in the WWE2018 Dig, Defend, or Die scenario? Are they the average "medium, 40CF" buildings, or are there specific details for them? I couldn't seem to find anything specific in the WWE2018 briefing, but I wasn't sure if I'd missed something.

Cheers!

(Sorry if this is the wrong board for the question!)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Buildings on the WWE2018 Dig, Defend, or Die map
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2019, 11:24:50 »
More important question might be . . . what CF do you need them to be?

Honestly, medium buildings on a dig site make sense IIRC the scenario stuff correctly.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2019, 11:49:17 »
Fair answer!

My thinking was mostly from the point of view of scenario balance, as CF15 buildings would probably be too easy for the attackers to destroy, while anything more than a Medium building would be unlikely on a dig.

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2019, 12:00:34 »
Yes, the scenario was written with the buildings as average CF 40 structures.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2019, 12:18:25 »
Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation!

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2019, 13:05:59 »
You'd be surprised how meaty some 'temporary' structures I've seen on construction sites are. I can see an all-environment prefab being a heavy structure.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2019, 07:48:50 »
I've always had my fair share of problems with CF. Since CF describes - among other things - the maximum tonnage of a 'Mech standing on top of that building, I have my problems seeing a construction or dig site with buildings that can support anything from a Vindicator to a Highlander (CF 41-90). Unless, we're talking bridge construction of a bridge with MLC 100.
liber et infractus

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2019, 11:37:27 »
Agreed. By CF alone, most buildings on this planet would rate maybe CF10, regardless of their wall strength. Theyre rated to deal with snow and rain, not Mechs.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2019, 12:04:35 »
Now that I am looking at it . . . by placement, wasn't the SE map the only new one?  The other three look familiar from other sets now that I checked them from a look down rather than plotting how to blow up the Leaguers.  Well, the road is new and maybe the frequency of woods increased, but the hills/water/most woods look like older maps, I will have to check it when I am home.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2019, 22:15:44 »
They were indeed based off of three existing maps.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2019, 03:56:15 »
Agreed. By CF alone, most buildings on this planet would rate maybe CF10, regardless of their wall strength. Theyre rated to deal with snow and rain, not Mechs.

I have also seen buildings where they failed to consider ice and snow, including twice on one site (For different reasons each structure).

Some structures would have a decent bearing weight - if it has a roof parking lot, or had AWP on the roof during construction. Not common, but I've seen both. Maybe the star league had a beefy building code and settlers wound up with an ethos that called for overbuilding.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2019, 08:08:41 »
Mechs on buildings get even more complicated when you consider how buildings are built. The apartment building I live in can probably take a 30-40 ton mech as long as it stands on the lift shaft and crossing load-bearing walls - if it puts a foot wrong it wouldn't help if it was 10 tons.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2019, 11:09:25 »
"So, Mr Architect, these roof support beams appear to be massively over-engineered, compared to the rest of the structure. Are you expecting some kind of fifty-ton walking war machine to use this house as a plinth?"

[mumbles]

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2019, 11:25:17 »
Architect: "Well, it's either that, or accept that any fifty-ton walking war machine will simply flatten this building... Given the current state of affairs, do you like your chances?"  ::)

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2019, 13:12:33 »
Could very well be an industrial standard made necessary by the experiences of warfare, especially during the Age of War. Plus, heavy gear, including IndustrialMechs, is very common in the BTU. So, as soon as you want to live in that fully automated Star League wonder of a 100 story skyscraper, better make sure, the roof can take a 200 ton small craft landing vertically.
liber et infractus

gwaedin

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 25 October 2019, 05:33:18 »
Slightly OT but related question: are there any available maps for this scenario on MegaMek?

EDIT: Yep, here https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=q2k3qtp08a91u6q6v0f241jj13&topic=66880.0
« Last Edit: 25 October 2019, 05:35:49 by gwaedin »

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #16 on: 25 October 2019, 05:42:15 »
Slightly OT but related question: are there any available maps for this scenario on MegaMek?

Pretty much on-topic - it's why I was asking the question in the first place.  :) Glad that you found them - I should probably have posted the link in this thread too. Thanks!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 25 October 2019, 09:11:17 »
Yeah, I am not sure I even have them but they are pretty simple alterations of the original maps- except for that one new map.  But you can never have too many maps, so thanks for the link I am going to snag them for sure.
Colt Ward

Register