Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems  (Read 12979 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Reply #240 on: 16 April 2024, 21:03:18 »
The hockey gods are fickle this evening.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #241 on: 16 April 2024, 21:10:24 »
Fickle they are.

Oh well.  Wings received a lesson about building better depth and taking grit seriously again, like we did back in the hallowed days of The Grind Line.  Let's go with it and look forward to the draft and free agency.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #242 on: 16 April 2024, 21:13:25 »

All that said I will be shocked if the Caps pull off the victory tonight.

I guess you're shocked then, aren't you?  :evil:

As I predicted, the Wings only get into the postseason by luck. 

**offers rebs a hankie**

Tough position for me.  On the one hand, I was hoping to finally be able to deliver on my promise to you from 2021.
On the other hand, it would've been very nice to see the Habs win their last game of the season at home--though doing so would've knocked the Wings out regardless of the outcome of the Caps/Flyers game, and then I don't think you'd want any promises from me. ;) 

In the end, the Habs did what they had to do in solidifying their position for the draft lottery, and the Wings did what they had to do by winning both games--too bad the Caps didn't play along.

Now, next season, Detroit should make it if only by the skin of their teeth, and the Habs should be a bubble team...if they can learn to actually play with and defend a lead.

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 16 April 2024, 21:15:19 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #243 on: 16 April 2024, 21:21:41 »
**offers rebs a hankie**

Tough position for me.  On the one hand, I was hoping to finally be able to deliver on my promise to you from 2021.
On the other hand, it would've been very nice to see the Habs win their last game of the season at home--though doing so would've knocked the Wings out regardless of the outcome of the Caps/Flyers game, and then I don't think you'd want any promises from me. ;) 

In the end, the Habs did what they had to do in solidifying their position for the draft lottery, and the Wings did what they had to do by winning both games--too bad the Caps didn't play along.

Now, next season, Detroit should make it if only by the skin of their teeth, and the Habs should be a bubble team...if they can learn to actually play with and defend a lead.

cheers,

Gabe

Should I keep the hankie, or did it have sentimental value?   azn

We lost as soon as we couldn't buy a win with Larks out on injury. 

If the Habs had beaten us the other night, I would simply be saying the same thing (basically) a little sooner. 
« Last Edit: 16 April 2024, 21:23:16 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #244 on: 16 April 2024, 21:25:38 »
So...with the regular season done...who would I like to see go all the way and take home the Cup, if it can't be the Habs?

Leafs?  NEVER!!!
Bruins?  NEVER!!!

Jets?  Well, they've got Sean Monahan and Tyler Toffoli now...unfortunately, Mark Scheifele is still there.  So...just...no.

Canucks?  Oilers?
Which one is Canada best hope for bringing the Cup north of the border since...1993?
I have my doubts that either of these teams is built for the playoffs.  Neither one has any players I really hate.
Sentimentally, I'm old enough to remember the Oilers' glory days...so...um...yeah.  Go Oil.  Better them than the Leafs, anyway.

And it's pretty much McDavid's last chance to prove he's the greatest player of his generation (as an Oiler, anyway).

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #245 on: 16 April 2024, 21:30:51 »
Agreed about the Leafs.  On some other online platform I saw a Leafs Nation rep saying that Toronto was living rent free in everyone's heads.  (Guess what fun was being had before they said that, and at who's expense... hahaha) Had to remind them that rent free doesn't win Cups or elections. 

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #246 on: 16 April 2024, 21:33:34 »
Should I keep the hankie, or did it have sentimental value?   azn

Nah, it's a keeper. :) Go ahead.

We lost as soon as we couldn't buy a win with Larks out on injury. 

If the Habs had beaten us the other night, I would simply be saying the same thing (basically) a little sooner.

I never saw such a funereal victory celebration after Kane put it away in the shootout...I think Reimer was the only one who didn't already know.

Always have to say next year will be better...I think the Wings have more reason to be optimistic.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #247 on: 16 April 2024, 22:06:10 »
Oh yes, overlooked in all this was the NHL debut of Logan Mailloux for the Habs tonight.  Whatever his past indiscretions, he has become a linchpin player for the Laval Rocket (the Habs' AHL team) and was rewarded with his first taste of the big show, when there was a very real possibility it wouldn't happen.  The Habs' season is over though  :cry:, and so Mailloux goes back to the Rocket who have a must-win B2B against Belleville (the Sens' farm club and the Rocket's arch-rivals) if they're going to see the AHL playoffs.

cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #248 on: 17 April 2024, 14:29:45 »
I guess you're shocked then, aren't you?  :e

I was indeed.  I only caught the last 10 minutes of the game while in my car.  Props to Play by play making the empty net goal a whole lot more dramatic and interesting than it was on the replay.

Other outcomes of the day:

Buffalo fired their head coach.

Pittsburgh is playing a meaningless game 82.

LA and Vegas are still playing for seeding.

And last but not least we have the Bruins vs Leafs matchup that everybody not named Jadehellbringer and Steve Dangle wanted in the first round.  As soon as I get home tonight I will change my avatar to something that will no longer mess with Bruins' mojo.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #249 on: 17 April 2024, 15:25:45 »
Well I'm rooting for Boston this round too.  B stands for Bag those Leafs! 

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #250 on: 17 April 2024, 19:09:12 »
Given the outcome of last night's games I have updated my avatar. I likely will never have to change it again :grin:

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #251 on: 18 April 2024, 17:00:26 »
No more Coyotes.  Bring on the Utah Shakers!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #252 on: 18 April 2024, 19:17:30 »
6000 season tickets sold in Utah there's a market there

Whole new franchise coyotes are fully gone until an expansion

2 days until Boston whip the leafs
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #253 on: 19 April 2024, 08:06:33 »
OH BOY HERE I GO PREDICTING AGAIN

Vegas @ Dallas: This is a really interesting matchup, with the Knights... ah, 'stacked' (cough) roster facing a really underrated Stars squad. I know the Stars just won the whole West, but it feels like they're still under the radar a bit compared to teams like the Avs and Oilers, but a big series from guys like Hintz and Robertson, and heroics from Oettinger, could make this a very dangerous series for a Vegas team that... I admit a lot of it is that I'm tired of the cap shenanigans, but I just don't have any real feeling that this team is going to make a deep run this time. Something's off here. It's weird to call the top team in the conference winning in the first round an 'upset', but... you know what I mean. Dallas in six

Colorado @ Winnipeg: Nathan MacKinnon is not human. I refuse to believe it. We've just witnessed the greatest season in franchise history by one guy, and when you consider some of the names that have played for them, that's one hell of a statement. But... no Landeskog still (I'm not really sure we'll ever see him again at this point), and it feels like the supporting cast isn't as strong overall as the past couple of years. Winnipeg is a team built around shutting down a high-flying offense, starting in net, and this is going to be a tough challenge for both teams. But... you cannot stop the Big Mac, only hope to slow him down. Colorado in five

Nashville @ Vancouver: Remember back when the Canucks were the laughingstock of the NHL? Like, a YEAR ago? I was pretty uninterested in Rick Tocchet as a head coach, but the results speak for themselves- and of course, having a very scary offense backed by a young goalie in Demko who finally seems to have come into his own certainly doesn't hurt. Nashville, meanwhile, is a hard team to figure out- there doesn't seem to be a lot there to love, and yet they've run all over their opposition since New Years. This despite struggles in net (not something we say often about the Preds!). I'm not convinced that their momentum can overcome raw talent though- but this is a tough one to call. Vancouver in six

Los Angeles @ Edmonton: Every year there's a push to crown the Oilers before the show even starts, because THIS time is the year. This one... feels like it might finally be it, honestly. And a big chunk of that comes from finally adding a third ridiculous offensive talent to the McDavid/Draisaitl show in Hyman. If they can get consistent goaltending, defense, and some help from other lines... it's still a lot to ask long-term, but for THIS round it's probably enough to overcome a Kings team that just hasn't impressed me enough. It also needs to be a success this time, because there might not be a lot more chances for this Oilers build to keep falling short. Oilers in four

Tampa @ Florida: The Battle Of The Panhandle is renewed, and this time it feels like the roles are a bit reversed, with the strong Panthers holding off an attack from a Tampa team that doesn't feel as scary as past years... or do they? Stamkos had a great season, and no one notices because Kucherov was out of ****** control all year long- turns out not stashing him on IR for the last few months of a season is good for him! This is a really tough series to call, but Florida's grit to me gives them a very slight edge. Guys like Tkachuk are built for this time of year, drawing penalties and scoring on the man advantage they create- it worked all spring last year, and I don't see a reason it won't this time. Florida in seven

Toronto @ Boston: AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- OK, ok, had to get that out of the way. Honestly, and you won't believe this, but I'm worrying about this one. Toronto isn't a great team- stacked up top, and to their credit the Samsonov experiment's second act has paid off surprisingly well. But there's not a great bottom-six, and their defense is just trash. But... Boston hasn't looked great lately. Part of that was finishing with a couple of games that they didn't really care about- they seemed to just want to get off the ice this week without injuries and didn't care about seeding, and after last year's Ulmark injury derailed things for them it's probably the right move. But it makes for a tough team to feel confident in going into the postseason like this, and I'm genuinely worried that the Leafs' raw offensive power might be too much for the Bruins' vaunted defense and goaltending tandem this time. Just... not enough to pick against them. Boston in seven

Washington @ Rangers: I can't think of ever having seen a race to the finish between multiple teams playing hot-potato with a playoff spot the way we just saw. It was like no one really wanted to get that last wild card, and were desperately trying to miss out. The 'loser' of it, in the end, were the Capitals, a team with an absolutely wretched goal differential, stuck staring down one of the best teams we've seen in a good while in New York. The Rags have scoring, defense, goaltending, special teams, it's a genuinely impressive team this time around. The Capitals... Lindgren has been a pretty surprising story in goal, and Ovechkin's awakening after Christmas has been nice to see, but there's not a ton here to feel confident about. Sorry, Caps fans, but the reward for winning this week is to be a Big Apple speed bump. New York in four

Islanders @ Carolina: HELLBIE UPSET SPECIAL! The Canes are a team designed from the keel up to win this time of year, and yet every time I watch them they just feel... off, somewhere. I can't quite put my finger on it- goaltending hasn't been a strong suit, but injury has been a big part of that. Just... something has me looking at them as another past-few-years Oilers team, seemingly fantastic but deeply flawed under the surface. They're not- at least not as openly- but I'm having a lot of trouble looking at them, despite all the firepower, and feeling confident. The Islanders are an openly wretched team with talent but no direction- they've never inspired confidence all year long, and despite the coaching change they still seem adrift most nights- someone will win this, why not make it fun and throw a little chaos into things? New York in seven
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #254 on: 19 April 2024, 21:01:59 »
6000 season tickets sold in Utah there's a market there
14k capacity for hockey (with plans to increase that capacity by another 3k) according to wiki. Winipeg's arena is I believe the smallest capacity in the league is around 15300.  So small by NHL standards however it isn't college arena small.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #255 on: 19 April 2024, 21:53:54 »
My super picks without at a whole lot of commentary (Hellbie beat me to it).

Vegas vs Dallas: It's that time of the year again where the warden looks the other direction and all the refugees from Robidas island run free down the strip and maybe something comes of it.  I don't honestly know if Logan Thompson can carry this team in the post season.  I say that because I don't think Adian Hill is healthy.  Pound a healthy Vegas team can go toe to toe with Dallas.  I just don't think they are going to be healthy.  Dallas in 6

Colorado vs. Winnipeg: The defensive bulwark vs the offensive juggernaut.  I'm going to make the mistake, yet again, of picking the Jets.  I just don't think the goal tending in Colorado is good enough this year to carry them out of the first round. Winnipeg in 7

Nashville vs Vancouver:  There is nothing scary about Nashville on paper, but they won 47 games.  That's pretty good and better than a couple of those divisional 3 seeds.  They have vets with a ring out there and enough grit that I don't think they are going to easily beaten.  'Nucks in 6

Los Angeles vs Edmonton:  I'm not predisposed to Edmonton just walking over the Kings.  That's probably what will happen, but both teams were really, really good and also really, really awful at stretches too (both firing their HC's).  The Kings have an offense that is less potent but deeper.  Connor Mcjesus and Leo are probably going to be over 9000 for this round so it will be the Oilers in 7.

Tampa Bay vs Florida:  Tampa Bay has been really solid in the second half, but Florida has been consistant nearly all season.  Tampa has all the rings, but I think Florida is sure thing unless injuries hit them hard. Florida in 6

Toronto vs Bruins:  I'm not sure how many good things I can say about Toronto.  Goaltending has been an issue for several years and they have yet to address it.  Sure they have an excellent offense, but that hasn't gotten them anywhere.  Nylander might not be playing in game 1.  Bruins, while they have been slumping recently, have Patrick Maroon.  As we all know that's Toronto's kryptonite.  Bruins in 5

Washington vs NY Rangers: Charlie 'Halak' Lindgren stands tall over the Blueshirts with the broken stick of his brother Ryan Lindgren like he was Dikembe Mutombo.  I'll leave the rest of the series up to your imagination Rangers in 5

NY Islanders vs Carolina: I have no idea what the hell is going to happen.  I'm just going to assume the Hurricanes might have bought enough duct tape and bubble wrap this year to keep their goalies safe and healthy (haha) Hurricanes in 5

My first to final round prognostication is a Florida vs Dallas final.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #256 on: 20 April 2024, 11:21:29 »
Fat Guy's pathetic picks:

Vegas in 5
Colorado in 6
Nashville in 7
Edmonton in 6
Florida in 6
Toronto in 7 - Fat Guy's upset special!   :evil:
New York in 4
Carolina in 6

You can see why I don't bet.
I have spoken.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #257 on: 20 April 2024, 16:32:20 »
First game of the Stanley Cup Playoff Season. It’s a good day. I’m not even going to waste anyone’s time with predictions, but I will say I’ll keep an eye on Nashville, and I like the earlier prediction of Florida v Dallas…. and I’ll say after last year, I’d be happy if Florida could take it all. But man this time of year is so much fun because of all the possibilities.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #258 on: 20 April 2024, 19:00:56 »
No more Coyotes.  Bring on the Utah Shakers!

Ear to the ground and I hear rumblings of
SALT LAKE LATTER DAY SKATES.

I’ll show myself out now.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #259 on: 21 April 2024, 15:48:11 »

Boo this man! BOOOOO!!!

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #260 on: 21 April 2024, 15:54:03 »

I have spoken.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #261 on: 21 April 2024, 21:04:41 »

Toronto @ Boston: AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- OK, ok, had to get that out of the way. Honestly, and you won't believe this, but I'm worrying about this one. Toronto isn't a great team- stacked up top, and to their credit the Samsonov experiment's second act has paid off surprisingly well. But there's not a great bottom-six, and their defense is just trash. But... Boston hasn't looked great lately. Part of that was finishing with a couple of games that they didn't really care about- they seemed to just want to get off the ice this week without injuries and didn't care about seeding, and after last year's Ulmark injury derailed things for them it's probably the right move. But it makes for a tough team to feel confident in going into the postseason like this, and I'm genuinely worried that the Leafs' raw offensive power might be too much for the Bruins' vaunted defense and goaltending tandem this time. Just... not enough to pick against them. Boston in seven

If nothing else, the Bruins should feel highly motivated to avenge last year's epic collapse against the Cats.  I think they will pull through--even this year, the Leafs simply don't have the Panthers' raw grit and that's going to make all the difference IMO.

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #262 on: 21 April 2024, 23:36:42 »
Rangers up 1-0.  Zibanejad and company made it look easy there in the second.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #263 on: 22 April 2024, 09:32:27 »
Colorado @ Winnipeg, Game 1: Where we're going, we don't NEED goalies.

Holy shit, what a mess of a game. I loved every minute of it- not the outcome I wanted, obviously, but even in the dying seconds it looked like it was still very much in question.

But... if you're the Avs, and you lit the likely Vezina-winner this season for six goals... and you lost? You've got to be looking at your own net and wondering if you screwed up with Georgiev at this point. I know it's one game, but that was as bad of a performance as a goalie has ever put on in a playoff game. If he looked any worse in net last night, he'd have been made an honorary Philadelphia Flyer.

If he struggles like that in the next game, the Avs have to really look themselves in the mirror- is an untested backup (remember, Fancouz is gone) a potential move? Yeah, he might suck, but... is that worse than the current option? The Avs are still stacked elsewhere, they could win this series if they can get even average goaltending, is that going to come from someone else?

+Crow T. Robot+

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #264 on: 22 April 2024, 16:21:05 »
To you more in the know hockey guys, which is the strongest looking Canadian Team (best chance to play for/win the cup?

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #265 on: 22 April 2024, 17:20:02 »
I place from best to worst like this:

Winnipeg
Vancouver
Edmonton
Toronto

My reason for thinking that is an important cog goes down Winnipeg could still win game in and game out.  The other three not so much.  That said if Toronto lost one of their big guns for their whole series they are likely SOL.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #266 on: 22 April 2024, 18:54:14 »
Thanks. I’ve just been waiting to see a Canadian Team win it all. I’ll pry hang on Winnipeg’s bandwagon.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #267 on: 22 April 2024, 23:48:56 »
Stateside, I'm liking the Rangers this year for some reason.  I think they have what it takes to win a cup provided they get some luck and a good wind at their back.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #268 on: 23 April 2024, 10:42:31 »
I honestly believe any of the non wildcard teams could make the Eastern Conference final.  In the case of the Maple Leafs though it has nothing to do with defense or goaltending.  I won't be surprised if the ECF comes down to the Rangers and the Panthers.  Carolina vs Flordia wouldn't be a stunner either as long as the Hurricanes' goalies stay healthy.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #269 on: 23 April 2024, 23:11:49 »
It is very much like that.  I'm just picking NYR as my horse.  Even if they were facing the Canes or Boston, no matter.  Win or lose.

...Wilson of all players tried to make it close tonight!  Who let him practice hockey enough to contribute to the game???  azn