Author Topic: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread  (Read 107631 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: 07 December 2019, 14:58:42 »
I don't expect them to tie up a whole lot and yes a cliffhanger seems likely.

It is just that episode 5 is what 4 should have been in many ways.  Which makes it something that can be ill afforded when you only have 8 episodes.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #121 on: 07 December 2019, 18:38:04 »
Looks like Star Wars Trivia Night. Or Tatooine Bingo. Think we just barely escaped a reference to podracing somewhere.

Anyway. That was empty-calorie cute. (Most especially the pit droids cheating at sabacc.) But next episode better pick up the pace.

Other than the pit droids?   ;)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #122 on: 07 December 2019, 20:16:54 »
Episode 5 was a filler episode. It is a great show, but with the millions of millions of planets in the Star Wars universe, and we go back to Tatooine. Mando Episode 5 brought to you by Episode 4.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #123 on: 08 December 2019, 16:13:09 »
Episode 5 brought us back to Tatooine and to a very familiar Cantina. I'm just surprised about the cantina's change in policy concerning droids.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #124 on: 08 December 2019, 16:27:08 »
Other than the pit droids?   ;)
Well perhaps. The amount of fan service in the episode, I was expecting an offhanded reference somewhere to the actual sport

Something like the mechanic saying "Son, you'd need to win the Boonta Classic to earn enough credits to fix that ship."

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #125 on: 11 December 2019, 14:57:41 »
I always wondered why humanoid walkers were never made, maybe the show will have time show early prototypes.

Because they move like crack addicts wearing leg braces on the best of days.

It's actually a real argument for ground vehicles and repulsor-lifts.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Death Monkey

• Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: 13 December 2019, 15:41:36 »
Best meta humor so far

Ran: Well, Mayfeld -- he's one of the best triggermen I've ever seen. Former Imperial sharpshooter
Mando: That's not saying much.
Mayfeld: I wasn't a stormtrooper, wise-ass![spoiler/]

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #127 on: 13 December 2019, 15:51:43 »
I wasn't a huge fan of episode 2, largely because it felt pointless.  When you've got an 8-episode series running to roughly 4 hours, you really have a long movie's worth of total storytelling time.  And everything in this episode was essentially self-contained - The Mandalorian's ship gets stripped, he chases the Jawas, he fails to keep up, he makes a deal with them to get his parts back, fights the monster, fixes his ship and leaves.  A friend of mine likened it to a sidequest in a computer game.
Seriously. Episode 2 is a bit early for filler. Heck, the first season of a show is early for it. Strange choice from the writers.
Okay this episode I will say was a borderline case for if it was a waste or not.
The Mandalorian really should have known he couldn't leave the child there or that he would be able to lay low for long.
Hell he really should be checking his ship for trackers or even ditching it all together.

So-called "filler" episodes, when well-executed, really focus on plot-relevant character development and world building. About the only new thing we learned here is the significance of removing a Mandalorian's helmet.
Seven Samurai plots, or "Ayy Senor Mexican Bandits Have Raided Our Village" in the words of Terry Pratchett, are a longstanding tradition across all kinds of media, and also a staple for filler episodes. Its tried-and-tested formula means that it's a good vehicle for writers to stamp their mark, give a unique twist on things. But we don't see much of that in this very straightforward take.
Bit of a disappointment.

Okay episode 5 was definately a wasted episode when there are supposedly only 8 episodes in the first season.  Everything that happened in it could have easily been incorporated into 4's themes with few alterations.

ok so either this is a highly successful dramatic series despite 3/5ths of the episodes being "pointless filer"..

or people need to seriously reexamine their expectations regarding episode content, and be less quick to declare something as filler or pointless.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2019, 15:59:28 by glitterboy2098 »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #128 on: 13 December 2019, 17:40:23 »
I still stand by that the plot elements of 4 and 5 could have been combined into a single episode with some effort and maybe a few extra minutes of run time.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #129 on: 13 December 2019, 18:02:34 »
Best meta humor so far

Ran: Well, Mayfeld -- he's one of the best triggermen I've ever seen. Former Imperial sharpshooter
Mando: That's not saying much.
Mayfeld: I wasn't a stormtrooper, wise-ass![spoiler/]

So, have we canonized that then? I always kinda liked the idea that they hit every target they intended to in a New Hope; they wanted the rebels alive.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #130 on: 13 December 2019, 20:48:31 »
Loved the cameos in the X-Wing squad.
I have spoken.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 13 December 2019, 23:33:03 »
heh I loved the end of ep 6 Karma at its best

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #132 on: 13 December 2019, 23:39:49 »
I was so distracted in this episode by Richard Ayoade's voice as Zero and also trying to figure out who played the female Twi'lek that I completely missed that it was Clancy Brown playng the Devaronian until I saw his name in the end credits. Then I went back to his introduction scene and kicked myself for not recognizing his voice right away.

Couple that with Bill Burr and Mark Boone Junior and this episode was way too chock full of recognizable guest stars. It kinda took me out of it.

I also had to roll my eyes at the third (at least) use in this series of the "weapon goes off but it's not the person we think getting shot" trope. IG-11 in the first episode, then the sniper assassin in the krill episode, then Zero here. Did I miss any? Mix it up a bit, people!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #133 on: 14 December 2019, 07:01:55 »
Natalia Tena played the female Twi’lek.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #134 on: 14 December 2019, 07:45:52 »
ok so either this is a highly successful dramatic series despite 3/5ths of the episodes being "pointless filer"..

or people need to seriously reexamine their expectations regarding episode content, and be less quick to declare something as filler or pointless.

I'm absolutely cool with most of the episodes not being plot interlinked. Takes me back to the old days of 80s and 90s Sci-Fi, with at most a season arc addressed only occasionally.

There's nothing wrong with simple story lines, it's the method that concerns me, and the Mandalorian's method is pretty good.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #135 on: 14 December 2019, 10:57:17 »
I have no idea any more.

Alright it was cool and fun.

M gonna have to think a bit what this all means.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #136 on: 14 December 2019, 11:57:56 »
At least Gungans are still a joke.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #137 on: 14 December 2019, 12:30:05 »
Natalia Tena played the female Twi’lek.

Yes, I can read the credits and did, as I indicated. But I was wondering about it during the whole episode because she seemed so familiar but I couldn't quite place her. She reminded me a lot of Gigi Edgley's portrayal of Chiana in Farscape.

That, along with the other guest stars, interfered with me just enjoying the episode.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2019, 15:25:09 by roosterboy »

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #138 on: 14 December 2019, 15:14:02 »
I completely missed that it was Clancy Brown playng the Devaronian until I saw his name in the end credits.

The one I didn't get until the credits was the lone Republic crewman was in fact Matt Lanter. So we had the voice actors for both Savage and Anakin in the same episode.

I'm wondering if the direction they gave Clancy to play Burg was "Just be Savage", cause pretty much everything he said or did could have just as easily been Savage.

I also liked that the space station looked like it could have come right out of one of the old Lucasarts X-Wing games. Unfortunately in the space scenes the budget showed as the effects weren't up to Star Wars quality.
I have spoken.

Death Monkey

• Sergeant
« Reply #139 on: 14 December 2019, 15:29:29 »
She reminded me a lot of Gigi Edgley's portrayal of Chiana in Farscape.

I am happy I wasn’t the only one to notice the similarity there. Maybe next season, the can toss Gigi a little work.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #140 on: 15 December 2019, 22:41:29 »
I'm guessing there's a meme of Baby Yoda and music swapping using a scene from one of the early eps.
Well a vid popped in my youtube scrawl today, and...  it cracked me up big time.

Baby Yoda loves Sandstorm...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #141 on: 16 December 2019, 04:32:34 »
"Stop touching things."

*click*

;D

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #142 on: 17 December 2019, 08:36:11 »
When the Mando does his thing it really shows how much he can kick some ass.....don't get on his bad side.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #143 on: 17 December 2019, 10:52:12 »
This week's episode drops Tomorrow. Apparently there's something in it that ties into a movie we're not allowed to talk about that premieres the following evening.
I have spoken.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #144 on: 17 December 2019, 12:27:06 »
This week's episode drops Tomorrow. Apparently there's something in it that ties into a movie we're not allowed to talk about that premieres the following evening.

I can guess what that something is but that episode was supposed to drop only a couple hours earlier than usual...
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #145 on: 17 December 2019, 19:50:10 »
As I understand it the episode has a preview tacked on rather than being a tie-in
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Death Monkey

• Sergeant
« Reply #146 on: 18 December 2019, 04:08:03 »
As I understand it the episode has a preview tacked on rather than being a tie-in

It’s a full scene and a few snippets of the movie.

And, wow, the Imperial Troop Transport in live action. I hope the designer from Kenner is alive to see this. For those of us that had it as a kid, payoff after 40 years.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #147 on: 18 December 2019, 22:16:14 »
Best episode yet!
I have spoken.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #148 on: 18 December 2019, 22:45:59 »
Good but very predictable.

So I fully expect more of the same for the next episode.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #149 on: 19 December 2019, 04:59:25 »
I actually went "Oh nooooo." out loud at the end! I can kinda guess what's probably gonna happen with Episode 8 but wow, episode 7 was superb :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register