Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157610 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #960 on: 19 March 2019, 10:50:47 »
My father had one in the late 80's, two way when within range, absolutely nothing when outside of range. :-P But I believe that's adequately covered in the slower uptake in technology covered upthread.

Thinking mobiles though, Coulson was using one in the car park, wasn't he?
I thought that was a radio...
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #961 on: 20 March 2019, 04:29:05 »
I thought that was a radio...

Possibly, probably now that I think about it. My brain put it in as a phone in my memory, but more likely a radio.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #962 on: 20 March 2019, 12:11:37 »
It was a walky-talky radio.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #963 on: 20 March 2019, 16:46:51 »
It was the brick style cell phone.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #964 on: 21 March 2019, 09:36:59 »
It was the brick style cell phone.
Didn't Fury use a CB-style radio to answer him?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #965 on: 21 March 2019, 13:35:27 »
I saw it other night, i can't remember.  I do remember that the Pager could send limited text messages, which was unique technology by 95.

I was in service from 90 to 94 in (later 2 years) Los Angeles, i saw maybe on cell phone at the time some girl had which was sizablely bigger than nextell click phone.

As for the movie, i like it.  I like Danvers's character attitude, sassy sense of humor and thinking on the go. 

If i were to nickpick Aside maybe she was bit too powerful in the end,
I did get little confused when they were doing the Subway parts on the train. Again, i was literately there when this is suppose to have took place, the subway car was in correct color livery, but not track and stations (seem to be too modern) until they hit the tunnel.  That train was Blue Line from Long Beach, CA to 7th Street Subway station.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #966 on: 21 March 2019, 14:21:05 »
Turning a train into some replica of old is easier to do, than to do it to the tracks/station its on...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #967 on: 21 March 2019, 16:31:31 »
As for the movie, i like it.  I like Danvers's character attitude, sassy sense of humor and thinking on the go. 
I liked that about her too, but They kind of shot themselves in the foot with it. She spends the entire movie pushing back against everyone and everything that tried to hold her back.  Then the climactic scene with the Supreme Intelligence has that flood of memories of her getting back up, again and again through out her life.  The that she never gives an inch to anyone through out the movie kinda steals that scene's thunder.  Don't get me wrong, I like the visuals and love the message, but that scene kind of lacked impact.  Not everything can be a home run. 

Oh, and Fury's eye.... that was weak sauce.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #968 on: 22 March 2019, 02:58:52 »
I liked that about her too, but They kind of shot themselves in the foot with it. She spends the entire movie pushing back against everyone and everything that tried to hold her back.  Then the climactic scene with the Supreme Intelligence has that flood of memories of her getting back up, again and again through out her life.  The that she never gives an inch to anyone through out the movie kinda steals that scene's thunder.  Don't get me wrong, I like the visuals and love the message, but that scene kind of lacked impact.  Not everything can be a home run. 

Oh, and Fury's eye.... that was weak sauce.

Fury's eye I'll give you, that was piteous, I wasn't impressed by that at all.

However I found the scene of Carol Danvers getting back up every time she was knocked down to be quite fitting, she wasn't always hitting home runs (or sixes as we'd say in Australia), she was taking her lumps and proving she could get back in the saddle and try again. In the end that stubborn refusal to give up is what got her the win.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #969 on: 22 March 2019, 03:20:56 »
Fury's eye was perfect.  Not everyone has a rad backstory for every scar or injury. 

Reminds me alot of One Eyed Sam from I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, where the guy looked and acted like a tough war veteran, but turned out he was a secretary and lost an eye from a paperclip fight. 

Makes perfect sense Fury would hide the reason for it.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #970 on: 22 March 2019, 08:05:14 »
Fury's eye was perfect.  Not everyone has a rad backstory for every scar or injury. 

Reminds me alot of One Eyed Sam from I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, where the guy looked and acted like a tough war veteran, but turned out he was a secretary and lost an eye from a paperclip fight. 

Makes perfect sense Fury would hide the reason for it.

No, Fury's eye was perfect when it was a mystery only occasionally alluded to. Not everything needs to be spelled out, and the way it happened was weak at best

Oh sure, there's the comedy factor of it, I have to admit that it got a few laughs, but on the whole I felt it was a disappointing reveal. As always, you're welcome to your opinion, but I'm not going to share it.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #971 on: 22 March 2019, 14:44:38 »
Getting off Capt Marvel..  Anyone seen "Mortal engines" yet?  how was it?
What of Bumblebee?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #972 on: 22 March 2019, 15:18:22 »
Mortal Engines was an attempt to cash in on a young adult novel series, despite that craze having peaked several years ago.

The premise was silly and the novel the movie was based on was really niche, so mostly it seemed to be an attempt to cash in on Peter Jackson's name.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #973 on: 22 March 2019, 17:42:04 »
Getting off Capt Marvel..  Anyone seen "Mortal engines" yet?  how was it?
What of Bumblebee?

Bumblebee was the live action Transformers movie any Gen 1 TF fan was waiting for...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #974 on: 23 March 2019, 11:25:45 »
Bumblebee was the live action Transformers movie any Gen 1 TF fan was waiting for...

Ruger

Pretty much this.
The thing with Bumblebee is it's hard to tell if it's a true prequel or a movie series soft reboot or both.

I really lost interest in the movie franchise with TF 2. I mean it all looks cool and plays with the Rule of Cool big time, but that only goes so far. Bumblebee does a lot better in focusing not only on the human side, but the bot side as well. Plus as a G1 fan, the film's opening sequence proves you can do G1 stylings with a Bayformer visual apporach (which should of been attempted in the first place...).
I only have the DVD of TF1 (and the TF: The Movie), but Bumblebee will be added to my collection in due time.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #975 on: 24 March 2019, 22:53:55 »
Watching The Expendables 3 right now.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #976 on: 25 March 2019, 01:47:52 »
Just rewatched Thor Ragnarok, and was reminded by the Sakar entrance just how much it reminded me of Zalem/Tiphares and the scrapyard under it from Alita.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #977 on: 25 March 2019, 02:01:41 »
Now I'm watching Seven.  One of Morgan Freeman's best performances.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #978 on: 25 March 2019, 07:51:16 »
Watching The Expendables 3 right now.
A great Antonio Banderas movie!  I know I've seen the supporting cast other stuff, but it's not coming to me.  Maybe one of them was a boxer?  Or a boxing movie?

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #979 on: 26 March 2019, 15:31:25 »
Ninja, 2009.   Scott Adkins as a different American Ninja that in American Ninja, even though his is British, and for no story reason.  Oh well.  It is a straight faced yet goofy throwback to the Golden Age of 80's Ninja Movies.   Starts out in a Ninja school that seems greatly lacking in ninja training.  Actually the first half of the film is greatly lacking in ninjaing, even though the villain, or at least one of them is a ninja who hates our main characters who are also ninja.  There is also a weird substory about a oil company with a killer's club/cult (they have both a brand as well as easily identifiable uniforms, which is nice) who hires the ninja to do something he was going to do anyway, but it wouldn't be a throwback without a conviluted subplot. The bosses for the firm (Temple Corporation) also wear cult robes over their suits.   It is as if the Illuminati bought a lot of stock in Shell Oil and took over, then brought their own cult of Red Shirts that they realized were crappy at their jobs, so they subcontracted a ninja consultant.  As I said, the first half lacks in ninjaness, but the fight scenes when Adkins takes on the mooks in their own club house take off, and it holds up from there. 

On a scale of 1 to 5 ninja throwing stars, i give it a solid 2.5, maybe 3 if I am really forgiving.   It came with the squeal which is supposed to be better, but the name, Ninja: Shadow of a Tear sounds more like a good Nightwish album title. 

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #980 on: 26 March 2019, 17:52:40 »
Kung Fu Hustle and Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons.  Needed a good Stephen Chow fix, and hopefully he gets to act again instead of directing only.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #981 on: 27 March 2019, 09:57:59 »
On a scale of 1 to 5 ninja throwing stars, i give it a solid 2.5, maybe 3 if I am really forgiving.   It came with the squeal which is supposed to be better, but the name, Ninja: Shadow of a Tear sounds more like a good Nightwish album title.
What's the conversion factor from "ninja throwing stars" to IMDB stars? :-)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #982 on: 28 March 2019, 22:49:05 »
Watched Buckaroo Banzai for the first time.

Holy Cow.

I loved it.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #983 on: 29 March 2019, 01:26:09 »
Watching Showtime with Robert DeNiro and Eddie Murphy.  Pretty funny.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #984 on: 29 March 2019, 04:03:22 »
Watched the Motley Crue biopic, The Dirt. Some very minor errors, but otherwise entertaining.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #985 on: 29 March 2019, 08:06:46 »

Holy Cow.

I loved it.

It is truly a movie of it's era, and shows it.
Plus it has, IMHO, one of the coolest end credit sequences there is...

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #986 on: 29 March 2019, 08:17:37 »
It is truly a movie of it's era, and shows it.
Plus it has, IMHO, one of the coolest end credit sequences there is...

I've longed for mst3k to tackle it.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #987 on: 29 March 2019, 09:59:46 »
They probably won't.  They go for bad movies, and Buckaroo Banzai is too fun and entertaining on its own.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #988 on: 29 March 2019, 11:54:22 »

Holy Cow.

I loved it.
Took this photo in my lab.  Just saying.

Unfortunately, I don't have any watermelons.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #989 on: 29 March 2019, 12:22:47 »

Holy Cow.

I loved it.

Welcome to the Team...

Register