Author Topic: Betrayal! Horseshoe Crabs are Really Arachnid Infiltrators!  (Read 4966 times)

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
https://phys.org/news/2019-03-horseshoe-crabs-relatives-spiders-scorpions.html#nRlv

I knew it all along, those are spider legs not crab legs.  As described in this new study evolutionary biologists have firmly placed horseshoe crabs within the arachnid family.  There have been suspicions ever since the late 19th century, but now we have proof.  The blue-blooded biting many-legged trip hazards that invade our beaches yearly are secretly a part of the arachnid menace!  But the question remains, what are they looking for on land?  Is it a conspiracy with their land-bound cousins the spiders and scorpions?  Are they simply trying to lull us into a false sense of security?  Are they fleeing an even more terrible menace on the sea floor, or possibly attempting to learn to breathe air so they can move beyond a temporary beachhead?  Is this all a plot of their vile mother Shelob?
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Re: Betrayal! Horseshoe Crabs are Really Arachnid Infiltrators!
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2019, 09:49:04 »
Didn't we knew that for a very long time?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2019, 10:06:35 »
According to the article, the first classification in that direction was in 1881, but the most recent study is the most conclusive yet.

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2019, 10:30:05 »
Basically taxonomists have suspected it for a long time and variously classified them in a couple different ways that made clear a relation existed but they weren't really sure exactly what it was.  Now however we know for sure that they are the cursed spawn of Ungoliant.

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2019, 14:07:02 »
Getting bitten by a horseshoe crab seems slightly harder than being run over by a steamroller.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2019, 15:04:29 »
According to the article, the first classification in that direction was in 1881, but the most recent study is the most conclusive yet.

"dude was right 140 years ago but now we have DNA sequencing"

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2019, 15:15:09 »
Getting bitten by a horseshoe crab seems slightly harder than being run over by a steamroller.

Indeed, how does one get bit by these things? I mean they're not exactly fast. So unless you're picking one up and doing a face hugger impression :p
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2019, 15:53:03 »
When they come ashore to lay eggs they do so in huge numbers and if you're walking around on the beach it's not that hard to end up bitten as they walk across your foot or you step on one under the water and they flip over and grab your foot.  They're more likely to jab you with the sharp ends of their legs or their tail than bite you but it can happen.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2019, 16:06:36 »
Have they invented flame throwers that work under water??? Asking for unrelated reasons...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2019, 16:10:31 »
train a cadre of mantis shrimp to protect you

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2019, 16:25:17 »
I feel less bad about harvesting them and draining their blood now. Even though that kind of makes us vampires to them.

"I am a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend."

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2019, 18:20:34 »
Always found them rather cute...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2019, 21:57:09 »
They're just waiting to launch an invasion against us land lubbers to take blood for blood.  When we are at our weakest moment, they will strike, and the beach will never be the same.

But I agree, they are rather cute.  I just won't be hugging one of the vengeful little varmints to my face or chest any time soon. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 10 March 2019, 23:17:37 »
They're just waiting to launch an invasion against us land lubbers to take blood for blood.  When we are at our weakest moment, they will strike, and the beach will never be the same.

Heh.

This corner of Asia we have a local folk legend about a swordfish attack.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2019, 00:08:35 »
Heh.

This corner of Asia we have a local folk legend about a swordfish attack.
Do tell. You have a masterful way of telling stories!  If not on this thread, start another one.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2019, 08:00:08 »
It's not unheard of for billfish to stab fisherman with their long spear-like bills which generally ends with either severe injury or death.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2019, 14:44:06 »
Funny enough, a quick search does not show anyone posting a picture with a horseshoe crab imitating the facehugger pictures.  I would have thought we at least had one person stupid enough to post them.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 11 March 2019, 15:47:39 »
Can we make a "Clan Horseshoe Scorpion" now?

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #18 on: 12 March 2019, 00:31:56 »
Horseshoe crabs are not spiders! Spiders are debased horseshoe crabs long exiled for deviant behaviors, like the nudism. Eight legged Morlocks, if you will.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 12 March 2019, 13:06:24 »
I feel less bad about harvesting them and draining their blood now.[/I]
I've actually watched that, in person. It's very foamy when it gets sucked out.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #20 on: 12 March 2019, 23:39:43 »
Horseshoe crabs are not spiders! Spiders are debased horseshoe crabs long exiled for deviant behaviors, like the nudism. Eight legged Morlocks, if you will.

Scorpions aren't spiders either, but they are arachnids.  Just like the Horseshoe Crab.  By association they deserve vigilance against betrayal and underworld fiendishness. Everyone knows that spiders are alien to our dimension and are actually small demons.  Just listen for their demonic taunts and cackling before they bite into their prey.  We can't afford to give Horseshoe Crabs the benefit of the doubt. 

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2019, 01:14:25 »
What's wrong with spiders? Here in Australia the spiders are about the only thing that's not actively trying to kill you!

Sure, they're some of the most venomous spiders in the world, but they only bite when you accidentally hurt them while you're hiding together form all the things that actually are trying to kill you!

This little guy is the most benign wildlife we have!

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #22 on: 13 March 2019, 02:11:22 »
What's wrong with spiders? Here in Australia the spiders are about the only thing that's not actively trying to kill you!

Sure, they're some of the most venomous spiders in the world, but they only bite when you accidentally hurt them while you're hiding together form all the things that actually are trying to kill you!

This little guy is the most benign wildlife we have!

Aren't you the country that banned those episodes of Peppa Pig that feature cute little Mr Skinnylegs, because they actually make spiders look benign?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 13 March 2019, 02:48:06 »
Scientifically, the issue here is that it has long been known that horseshoe crabs were CHELICERATES, but what was not known was which branch of chelicerates they were most closely allied to--whether they were actually part of the arachnid clade, or their own separate branch like sea spiders (which despite the common name aren't actually arachnids, and might not actually be chelicerates to boot).  What makes this study interesting and controversial is that the horseshoe "crabs" are shown as part of a grouping where all the other members are terrestrial, the implication being that they are actually secondarily aquatic.  It also implies that our definition of "arachnid" could be expanded, not least because unlike most arachnids, these have five pairs of walking legs, rather than four.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #24 on: 13 March 2019, 04:24:01 »
Aren't you the country that banned those episodes of Peppa Pig that feature cute little Mr Skinnylegs, because they actually make spiders look benign?

cheers,

Gabe

Nope, we have benign, cute spiders, for example the peacock jumping spiders (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maratus_volans)

As well as the deadly ones like the funnel web spider (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider)

The trick is to know the difference . . .

Luckily we do not have horseshoe crabs, because the blue ringed octopi ate them all (yes, blue ringed octopi are one of the world's most deadly marine creatures, their venom contains the powerful neurotoxin)

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 14 March 2019, 04:53:00 »

cheers,

Gabe

Nope, not something we can ban tv shows for. There's pretty strict rules for what can be banned and why, and making wildlife look benign isn't one of them. We do, however, have lots of warning signs and the occasional TV program showing us the dangers of our more... lethal... arachnid neighbours, but that's just to tell us who you do and don't want to share your room with. (You're going to share it with someone, best it not be a funnel web though. Red Backs are a line ball.) :)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #26 on: 14 March 2019, 05:29:02 »
As my wife and two daughters dislike spiders, therefore I have to enforece a persecute with extreme prejudice policy in out house.

We do not get funnel webs in Canberra but we do get a lot of redbacks.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 14 March 2019, 06:16:49 »
As my wife and two daughters dislike spiders, therefore I have to enforece a persecute with extreme prejudice policy in out house.

We do not get funnel webs in Canberra but we do get a lot of redbacks.

Sorry to tell you this, but you definitely get Funnel Webs in Canberra, I killed a bunch of them when I lived in Belconnen.

There's a lot more of them in Sydney and surrounds, but they definitely make it to Canberra. :P

You also have the joy of abundant brown snakes and black snakes, but hey, at least no Taipans. :)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #28 on: 14 March 2019, 06:30:39 »
Interesting, I have been here 17 years and most of it spent around Belconnen and Gungahlin on the northside of Canberra and I have never seen a funnel web. I saw a few funnel webs growing up in Sydney. We have had a lot of redbacks in the last couple of years at our place because there has been a lot of new suburbs springing up around us and that seems to have forced the redbacks to migrate from their former paddock homes to take up residence in the already built-up areas.

Yes, and we do have alot of brown snakes (even a problem at the campus where I work near the heart of the city) although the snakes are generally more prevalent in the rural and semi-rural areas just outside of suburban Canberra. One of my colleagues lost both of his terrier dogs in one day to a brown snake that decided to take up residence in his garden out at Bungedore.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 14 March 2019, 06:56:54 »

You also have the joy of abundant brown snakes and black snakes, but hey, at least no Taipans. :)
I have a lot of difficulty with this sentence.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #30 on: 14 March 2019, 13:17:17 »

in the outhouse i can understand, no spider has any business setting up shop over the shitter!  ;D
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 14 March 2019, 14:44:15 »
Nope, we have benign, cute spiders, for example the peacock jumping spiders (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maratus_volans)

They also help land planes and direct traffic when the lights are not working properly.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 15 March 2019, 22:34:17 »
I have a lot of difficulty with this sentence.

This is the Internet, you expect proper English at all times? :)

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 15 March 2019, 22:44:10 »
They also help land planes and direct traffic when the lights are not working properly.
If that's big enough to help planes land, the lights not working are the least of the problems.  Or maybe it's a good thing it's dark.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 16 March 2019, 02:43:00 »
This is the Internet, you expect proper English at all times? :)
No, I meant the concept that having an abundance of the 2nd most venomous land snake in the world is preferable :D because of course the alternative is THE most venomous land snake in the world!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 16 March 2019, 03:05:47 »
No, I meant the concept that having an abundance of the 2nd most venomous land snake in the world is preferable :D because of course the alternative is THE most venomous land snake in the world!

Ahh, fair enough then. :)

And yeah, I traded one for the other, as well as crocodiles, tiger sharks, and an abundance of other nasties.

What can I say? It would feel wrong somehow I was safe wander out and about in the local bushland, or my back yard, for that matter.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #37 on: 17 March 2019, 18:10:11 »
One of the few benefits to living in a place where it gets below zero (f) regularly in the winter - it keeps the riff raff out

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #38 on: 17 March 2019, 23:25:03 »
No doubt.  And living in a land-locked state keeps the horse shoe crabs someone else's problem.  I promise to wear a black armband for any of you killed by the menace, though.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #39 on: 18 March 2019, 02:25:19 »

Give how long it took for scientists to realize that the inland Taipan was venomous because of how non-aggressive it was, I think it'd be preferable to many of the less venomous but much meaner alternatives.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #40 on: 18 March 2019, 07:37:08 »
You mean like the two-legged man eater that distracts it's prey with perfume and high heels?

8)
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 18 March 2019, 09:52:54 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Luciora

• Major
« Last Edit: 19 March 2019, 00:42:29 by Luciora »

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 18 March 2019, 23:11:44 »
No doubt.  And living in a land-locked state keeps the horse shoe crabs someone else's problem.  I promise to wear a black armband for any of you killed by the menace, though.

Um...it's not the horseshoe crabs (they're not really "crabs", so call them "xiphosurans") that are the health hazard here.
(Indeed, it's hard to imagine them being any kind of threat to anyone...)

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #44 on: 19 March 2019, 00:26:08 »
Um...it's not the horseshoe crabs (they're not really "crabs", so call them "xiphosurans") that are the health hazard here.
(Indeed, it's hard to imagine them being any kind of threat to anyone...)

cheers,

Gabe

That was a joke continued from the OP, about Horse Shoe Crabs being arachnid invaders.