Author Topic: San Diego Battletech  (Read 49854 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
San Diego Battletech
« on: 26 September 2018, 23:49:42 »
New thread for us gentlemen.  Last one was getting a little long and maybe the new title will garner some more attention.

At any rate, I'm busy for October sadly, so I'm looking at the first two weekends in November for the next game.  My stepson was quite bummed he missed this last one, so he's making a commitment to make this one.

Any thoughts on a scenario for our next meeting?  This last one was Dark Age era, so I would be up for a different era this go round.  My two votes would be for either Fourth Succession War or Civil War time, but as always, I'm open for other ideas.  It's all about having a good game first and foremost. :thumbsup:

And I would like to keep it at Game Empire.  Having all those buildings and terrain there make things much easier. ;)
« Last Edit: 07 July 2023, 23:13:53 by Valkerie »
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
Re: San Diego Alpha Strike Association
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2018, 21:36:17 »
New thread!  :D

Well, I'm not sure what exactly to do for a scenario or a timeline. Civil War could be neat.
"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Lyran way. Which is to say:  The wrong way using Assault 'Mechs.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2018, 23:21:47 »
I do have a Clan Wolf Mech Trinary I'm working on.  Beta Galaxy colors.  Does that stir any ideas?  We haven't thrown any Clan Mechs out on the table yet.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2018, 00:40:48 »
Lyran lapdogs, or true Wolves?  >:D
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2018, 09:08:35 »
True Wolves all the way.  They are a Clan Invasion trinary and were built to stomp on anyone who gets in the way. :D

And they have the Dire Wolf to back that up... ^-^

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2018, 19:17:00 »
SLDF vs Rim World's could also be fun.

(This is also a ping)
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2018, 20:49:50 »
SLDF vs Rim World's could also be fun.

(This is also a ping)

Hey, I like that.  And I've got units I can throw at that.  And I just started reading Reunification War, so that would tie in nicely.

Got a battle or scenario in mind?
« Last Edit: 29 September 2018, 20:52:22 by Valkerie »

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2018, 01:02:11 »
Sounds like a cool idea.

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Lyran way. Which is to say:  The wrong way using Assault 'Mechs.

JamesPryde

• Corporal
  • Star Captain James Pryde
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2018, 05:02:03 »
Hi. I just saw this post I'm in San Diego and would like to play if possible. I've only played 2 AS games but have been playing Boardtop since the 90's. My wife might want to play as well if you don't mind another beginner.
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Major "Jumpin'" Jack Damien
Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2018, 07:43:09 »
You are both most welcome to join us! :thumbsup:  We've been playing at Game Empire roughly one Sunday a month.  Next game isn't set yet, but we're looking at one of the first two Sunday's in November.  Try and get one in before the holidays hit.

And we are by no means Alpha Strike masters.  We're still learning as well. :)

Sounds like we're leaning towards SLDF vs. Rim World's for the next game.

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2018, 23:23:07 »
It'd be great to have another player!

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2018, 15:44:38 »
Howdy all.  So dates that we're looking at are either November 4th or November 11th.  After that, I might have one weekend in December free, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Sounds like SLDF vs. Rim Worlds is ok with everyone.  Any thoughts as to when it takes place?  That will influence what units will be available.

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2018, 19:30:31 »
I can do 11th but can't do the 4th. I have work on the 4th. If its Rim Worlds I say Age of War 2573ish. My thoughts anyway...
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2018, 00:49:32 »
I'm not opposed to pulling something from the Invasion of Terra.

I haven't had the opportunity to read too deeply into that book yet. The tech and timeline is the far opposite as the stuff I know well.  :))

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2018, 23:02:44 »
I'm good with either.  2573 is right about the start of the Reunification War wasn't it?  We could start there, and work our way forward through the timeline with the next few matches for bit.  This one starts it off, next one is around the liberation of Terra, then First Succession War, and so on (or something like that.)  Might be fun to stroll through the earlier eras.

Any thoughts or opinions on force size?  And which side would folks like to be on?  I don't have a preference, so I'm happy playing on either side.

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 03 October 2018, 23:55:13 »
I good with playing either. If nobody chooses I would play SLDF. I'm familar with tier tactics. I know very little about the Rim Worlds Republic. Though I have no problem reading up on them if I'm going to play as them. I have the PDF for age of war if that helps. I checked the timeline and most of the "fancy" Star League era stuff is in development. Double heat sink have been perfected. But should be very rare still. I know the SLDF did battalions of the same mech. So though a bit repetitive they sould be easy to set up. I'll see what else i can dig up.  >:D
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #16 on: 04 October 2018, 08:49:06 »
Yeah I skimmed timelines and intro dates on the MUL last night as well.  Not a lot of flashy tech quite yet.  Some of the classic 3025 mechs are available, some aren't (no Battlemaster yet).  I say we set this during the Rim Worlds campaign of the Reunification War.  That should lend itself to a good SLDF vs. Rim Worlds showdown in that time period.  How's that sound?

And after reading a bit more, I'll throw my hat in on the Rim Worlds side.  It'll be fun playing the underdog. 8)

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 04 October 2018, 14:15:20 »
Sounds good. I don't think I have the reunification ears book but I'll check.
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #18 on: 05 October 2018, 22:50:05 »
I have Historical: Reunification War, so if anyone wants to know what is on the RATs, I'm happy to oblige.

If we want to give this match some historical flavor, the Rim Worlds raided the planet Alarion in the Lyran Commonwealth in 2581.  Gave the LCAF and the SLDF a surprising bloody nose.  It was a mostly mech battle, so that would work nicely for anyone who hasn't played Alpha Strike much, or who has.  That would also lend itself to multiple scenario options.  For instance, the Rim Worlds did have to fight a running battle back to their dropships, but that was after a very successful attack.  What type of scenario do you guys feel like playing out this round?

Since we could end up with as many as six players, I would suggest one company for each side.  Mechs and combat vehicles will be it for this run (sorry koalabirb, no battle armor available yet  :( ).  500 PV  for each side should be good as well.  That will leave plenty of PV for unit and skill choices.

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2018, 08:09:21 »
Sounds good to me. Are the units going to be rolled or are the players chooseing them?
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2018, 11:08:29 »
We've always chosen so far.  If you want to start toying around with SLDF lineups, please do so.  I can start messing around with the Rim Worlds.  We've got plenty of time to get the two teams ironed out.  If anyone has suggestions for units or lance combos for either side, shout them out.  I'm all ears. :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #21 on: 07 October 2018, 03:46:07 »
Provided you're OK on point balances, the SDLF players could use single-model companies. A company of Locusts, a company of Griffins, and a company of Archers. It's very SLDF. Or maybe, for more fun, use lances of the same type.

Rim worlders, you just want to make the world burn. Flamer city!

The MUL is, as always, your friend.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #22 on: 07 October 2018, 07:36:08 »
Thanks WT! :thumbsup:

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #23 on: 07 October 2018, 15:42:59 »
Thanks WT!

I think I may have to Rim World. Lol, I don't have enough of the same models to do SLDF san standees. lol.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #24 on: 07 October 2018, 20:35:43 »
That makes two for the Rim Worlds.  My stepson is fine playing either side.  Giovanni, any preference for you sir?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #25 on: 09 October 2018, 01:50:30 »
SLDF all the way. I should hopefully be able to hit storage this weekend and see if I can put together the minis for a full company of 55-tonners (mostly Shadow Hawks with Griffin support, and maybe a command Wolverine).
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #26 on: 09 October 2018, 22:43:43 »
All right then.  Let's call the teams this way then:

Rim Worlds: Valkerie (+stepson) and koalabirb
SLDF: Giovanni Blasini and JamesPryde (+spouse)

Any preferences for scenario type?  Stand up fight, breakthrough, objective based, what would you guys like to play?

Keeping with the era, my personal interest is either in an objective type, or a running fight scenario.

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #27 on: 09 October 2018, 23:11:01 »
I saw a pretty cool warehouse terrain piece when I was over at the shop last, we could use that. Rim Worlds need to capture the warehouse in X turns, or destroy it. Destroying it is worth like...a quarter of the points.

Just my off-the-top.

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 10 October 2018, 00:17:05 »
Sounds good to me. I have a handful of mechs but not more then 3 of any one type. Are you guys against proxies?
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #29 on: 10 October 2018, 00:24:32 »
Proxies are perfectly fine.  I always strive to have the mini, but that just isn't always realistic. ;)

Register