Author Topic: MechCommander Gold Op 1 Mission 1  (Read 5637 times)

tsmpaul

• Corporal
MechCommander Gold Op 1 Mission 1
« on: 09 April 2012, 05:28:00 »
I've started playing around with turning MechCommander Gold maps into hex maps for Quick Strike missions :) My hopeful goal is to make a whole bunch of individual, flocked foamboard hexes, that can be laid out to represent any of the missions in the computer game. I'm just testing the idea of playing the missions, using a basic hex map on sheets of A4 paper, with a couple miniatures objects stuck on.

Anyway, here's attached a pic of the first level turned into a hex map :)

Would probably be even better if I bought some of the Battleforce scale minis. Working on a scale of Short Range is 1 hex away, Medium Range is 2 hexes away, Long Range is 4 hexes away. All enemies begin as unidentified blips - and Clan player can use anything they want, as long as its aproximately the same point values for things being used. Similarly, Inner Sphere player can use anything they want, as long as its around the same point cost too. A good way to turn the scenario into any faction vs any faction, instead of just being a mission from Operation Bird Dog.

More details and photos on my blog, here:
http://battletechbirddog.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/mechcommander-gold-quickstrike-op-1.html
- red vs blue battletech painting -

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
Re: MechCommander Gold Op 1 Mission 1
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2012, 09:32:47 »
mechcommander has some good missions to transfer to the table, though of doing scenarios from that game myself.
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2012, 23:39:09 »
That's really impressive.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2012, 03:29:38 »
I definetelly love the idea, but you really want to make it "mech scale"? To my opinion, to stylise the scale to standart map sheets is way practical, but I'm just a fan of map scales)) 

Also, how did you convert the game graphics into the layout? You used tons of screenshots?
« Last Edit: 10 April 2012, 03:32:28 by Whitar »

tsmpaul

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2012, 03:51:36 »
It's smaller than normal battlemech scale (6mm). It's more like 3mm scale, or maybe even smaller. I resized the briefing map until all of the main landscape features were visible, and able to occupy a hex.

To create it:
I took a screenshot of the level map in the mission briefing screen, and in a graphic program I made a 3 feet x 4 feet hex grid (I wanted a map to cover my miniatures table). I then put the screenshot of the map underneath the hex grid, and rotated it until the roads were lined up to make straight lines from hex to hex underneath the grid. Because the game briefing map was only a hundred pixels wide (or something) it was super pixellated, so I then free-hand drew over the top of all of the shapes, in the graphic program, just blocking in the landscape, concrete, roads, water with paint tools, but keeping the grid drawn over the top. I made the grid grey so it wouldn't leap out too much, but it turned out so faded that it is hard to make out the grid on the paper.

Now that I know what terrain is in each hex, I'm thinking of using Heavy Metal Map to convert it into illustrated hex map sheets. The level is 24 hexes wide, and about 40 hexes tall, with the flat sides being left/right and the angled sides pointing up/down. Because you can't draw map sheets bigger than default map size in Heavy Metal Map, I'll have to work out how to connect multiple map sheets together to create the level. I haven't really used Heavy Metal Map all that much before.

I've played out a mission on once so far, and it works pretty well. (Battle report on my blog). If I do recreate it with Heavy Metal Map with proper illustrated hexes, I'll post another pic, and maybe a link to the map sheet images if anyone else wants to try it out.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2012, 04:46:06 »
I enjoyed the report! It doesn't even need other graphics, to my opinion, looking like a radar diagram, on a tactical display. Cause I could only envy your patience doing some other missons in HMM
It rocks!

Wereferret

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2012, 07:55:41 »
That looks great!  Quick, tangentially related question...does HMMap support easily making planetary assault maps, with that zig-zag hex pattern used?

tsmpaul

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2012, 17:00:23 »
That looks great!  Quick, tangentially related question...does HMMap support easily making planetary assault maps, with that zig-zag hex pattern used?

I don't think so, I think it's just for standard map-sheet terrain maps.

atlask

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2012, 19:40:04 »
have it.. no it only does standard maps.. but after reading this.. kind of got me into some cool boot camp ideas for tokyo in tulsa this summer..
Catalyst Demo Agent #881, Tulsa, OK

Mars

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2012, 14:40:16 »
i like O0
On n'arrĂȘte pas de jouer en vieillissant, on vieillit en arrĂȘtant de jouer.

mechwarriorgarya

• Master Sergeant
  • Commanding man and machine since '94
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2012, 11:10:00 »
Hey, there's that Kit Fox that used to always kick my butt....  :D
One Species, One Realm - translation: Live by The League or Die by The League
Between the fall of the ancient Star League and the rise of the heirs of Steiner Davion there was an age undreamed of...

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2012, 19:26:13 »
Well done, very cool idea!

Register