Author Topic: AFFS High Command: Eternal Grandeur  (Read 178017 times)

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
Re: AFFS High Command: Eternal Grandeur
« Reply #210 on: 14 July 2011, 00:13:49 »

INTERNATIONAL Day. It's like the Geneva Conventions.
Is that when they hold the Parade Day Parade?
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #211 on: 14 July 2011, 00:29:35 »
Patrick Stewart isn't classy, he's from Yorkshire! (although I will say my Dad briefly worked with him in the 1970s)

Also, I will restrict my pre-nuptial abuse of Young Edward to Facebook where his betrothed can see
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #212 on: 14 July 2011, 06:44:57 »
Only thing we get from Yorkshire are hams.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

BlackAce

• Master Sergeant
  • Wielder of the Holy Heavy Bolter of Bethlehem
« Reply #213 on: 14 July 2011, 09:22:23 »
... and ham actors....
Delivered from the blast,
Last of a line of lasts,
The pale princess of a palace cracked.
And now the kingdom comes;
crashing down undone,
And I am a master of a nothing place,
Of recoil and grace.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #214 on: 14 July 2011, 09:24:29 »
... and ham actors....

I believe that was the implication, yes.

For my money, though, I prefer a nice Montreal ham.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #215 on: 14 July 2011, 10:21:45 »
Passed the blood test, did you?

More like failed the sanity test...... ;D ;D :)) :))

Seriously, 3CL, congrats!  [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] O0

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #216 on: 14 July 2011, 10:36:31 »
I've never eaten at a Sonic; they're very rare in my area of the country.  They tried to build one here in Blacksburg, but the town shot it down out of noise concerns.
???  Wait, what?  I've not been to the 'Burg in a while, but there used to be a sonic over next to where the Buffalo Wild Wings is now.  Plus, if you're really hard up for one, there's a Sonic in Roanoke, Bristol and I think one is in Radford as well.  Hell, even Norton has a Sonic now.  Me thinks you need to get out and explore some more Klep.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #217 on: 14 July 2011, 10:38:55 »
Sonic is where you go when you like your drinks cold, your burgers colder, and your chili dogs smashed beyond all recognition.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #218 on: 14 July 2011, 10:39:57 »
Oh, Neko, you're so 1950s.
Wait, they don't do that any more?  I had to have one the first time I got married back in '96.  When did this change?

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #219 on: 14 July 2011, 10:43:27 »
Sonic is where you go when you like your drinks cold, your burgers colder, and your chili dogs smashed beyond all recognition.
Never had a problem with the burgers, other than being a little on the small side.  Never tried the chili dogs though, that's one thing I've never found particularly enjoyable.  A hot dog needs more than just chili to be good.  You're going to need some relish, mustard, onions and slaw to really make it good.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #220 on: 14 July 2011, 10:45:08 »
Wait, they don't do that any more?  I had to have one the first time I got married back in '96.  When did this change?

It varies from state to state.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #221 on: 14 July 2011, 10:48:07 »
So you cant get married if you have an STD in those states? Yikes.
Maker of big things.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #222 on: 14 July 2011, 10:50:02 »
So you cant get married if you have an STD in those states? Yikes.

I think it's to check for consanguinity.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #223 on: 14 July 2011, 10:57:55 »
Gotcha, makes more sense.
Maker of big things.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #224 on: 14 July 2011, 11:01:18 »
???  Wait, what?  I've not been to the 'Burg in a while, but there used to be a sonic over next to where the Buffalo Wild Wings is now.  Plus, if you're really hard up for one, there's a Sonic in Roanoke, Bristol and I think one is in Radford as well.  Hell, even Norton has a Sonic now.  Me thinks you need to get out and explore some more Klep.
I wouldn't say I'm hard up for one.  I never have reason to go to Radford or Bristol or any other small town around here.  I've seen an abandoned Sonic in Roanoke, though I'm told there's one there still in business somewhere there.  I'm sure I'll run into one eventually, but in the meantime there's a good steakhouse 2 minutes from where I live.  I pretty much only eat fast food when I travel anyway.  At any rate, there definitely isn't one in Blacksburg.

BlackAce

• Master Sergeant
  • Wielder of the Holy Heavy Bolter of Bethlehem
« Reply #225 on: 14 July 2011, 11:11:16 »
I believe that was the implication, yes.

For my money, though, I prefer a nice Montreal ham.

Ah. Yes, well, a week of 18 hour days has made me rather slow.  @p?
Delivered from the blast,
Last of a line of lasts,
The pale princess of a palace cracked.
And now the kingdom comes;
crashing down undone,
And I am a master of a nothing place,
Of recoil and grace.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #226 on: 14 July 2011, 12:36:13 »
I don't do corporate jiujitsu, I prefer to see the look on my opponents face when I knife them, it's much more satisfying. 

That said when a project manager I've never met face to face denied my equipment order after I spent three months fixing the technical issues he wanted addressed before he would consider approving it,  the military brat in me wanted to go full bore burn the bridges hang the body let the crows pick the pieces apart...instead, in what I hope is an increasingly, good sign of forethought and maturity (which after 37 years my wife says is a sign that yes, I am actually "growing up" complete with finger quotes), I went to my boss and explained the situation, and asked for a few minutes of his time.  He's a great boss, I love working for him, and he knows when I come in and shut the door, somethings up.  He's also like a 12th level black belt in Corporate Jiujitsu. 

My boss, who does not get along with said project supervisor, was quite shocked at my language behind closed doors concerning what happened, and then got the most predatory smile I've seen on a human being in quite some time.  My boss made a phone call, and a summons was issued.  The bad news is this project manager and I are finally going to meet face to face.  The good news is I get to be in the room when my manager rips him a new one for pulling what he did..  Although I may have to be drugged to prevent myself from going off, it will be worth it.  I'd sell tickets if I could.

Now, where's my whetstone...

Davout
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #227 on: 14 July 2011, 14:01:09 »

In Arkansas, you can't get married if you PASS.  #P
Mastergunz: Pryde bloodline, that's where all the winners hang!
MDM: Preferably at the end of 6' of rope!!!

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #228 on: 14 July 2011, 14:04:26 »
Uh oh, Ozark-state rumble!
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #229 on: 14 July 2011, 15:40:27 »
I think I'll go make some popcorn...
Maker of big things.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #230 on: 14 July 2011, 18:00:19 »
Wait, aren't you in Missouri?  Like they're any better?  At least hill billies can claim to be isolated and not have any choice in the matter, what's your excuse?   :P

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #231 on: 14 July 2011, 18:02:59 »
It varies from state to state.
How odd, it's changed quite a bit then.  Tennessee used to have a required blood test as well.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #232 on: 14 July 2011, 18:09:15 »
I don't do corporate jiujitsu, I prefer to see the look on my opponents face when I knife them, it's much more satisfying. 

That said when a project manager I've never met face to face denied my equipment order after I spent three months fixing the technical issues he wanted addressed before he would consider approving it,  the military brat in me wanted to go full bore burn the bridges hang the body let the crows pick the pieces apart...instead, in what I hope is an increasingly, good sign of forethought and maturity (which after 37 years my wife says is a sign that yes, I am actually "growing up" complete with finger quotes), I went to my boss and explained the situation, and asked for a few minutes of his time.  He's a great boss, I love working for him, and he knows when I come in and shut the door, somethings up.  He's also like a 12th level black belt in Corporate Jiujitsu. 

My boss, who does not get along with said project supervisor, was quite shocked at my language behind closed doors concerning what happened, and then got the most predatory smile I've seen on a human being in quite some time.  My boss made a phone call, and a summons was issued.  The bad news is this project manager and I are finally going to meet face to face.  The good news is I get to be in the room when my manager rips him a new one for pulling what he did..  Although I may have to be drugged to prevent myself from going off, it will be worth it.  I'd sell tickets if I could.

Now, where's my whetstone...

Davout
Enjoy yourself Davout, you sound like you've earned this.

One thing that I will say though is that while I used to think that people did actually "grow up" after a while, I don't think it's so much that as it is that most people discover sneakier ways of getting back at people as they get older.  Corporate jiujitsu is one such way, but there are as many other ways as there are people.  The actual amount of people who are actually, truly mature is an amazingly small number I suspect and getting smaller all the time.  Why this is the case is still a mystery to me, but I've seen it too much to doubt that it's happening.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #233 on: 14 July 2011, 21:27:48 »
Silly Laplander.  If you'd checked the link you'd know Arkansas doesn't have a blood test.  Of course, this is primarily because in most Arkansas towns it's common knowledge who's related to who.  Why draw blood when you can just ask grandma? (note: if both parties are asking the same woman, that's a pretty good indicator that they are in fact related.  Ofc, those who didn't already realize that will probably never visit this august site.  Or, y'know, learn to read.)
« Last Edit: 14 July 2011, 21:30:43 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #234 on: 14 July 2011, 21:33:25 »
Silly Laplander.  If you'd checked the link you'd know Arkansas doesn't have a blood test.  Of course, this is primarily because in most Arkansas towns it's common knowledge who's related to who.  Why draw blood when you can just ask grandma? (note: if both parties are asking the same woman, that's a pretty good indicator that they are in fact related.  Ofc, those who didn't already realize that will probably never visit this august site.  Or, y'know, learn to read.)

O0

FWIW, I only pick on Arkansas because I have family there. And Texas. And Oklahoma. It's practically a trifecta of inbreeding. The only way to top it would be Mississippi or West Virginia by themselves.
Mastergunz: Pryde bloodline, that's where all the winners hang!
MDM: Preferably at the end of 6' of rope!!!

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #235 on: 14 July 2011, 21:40:40 »
I am rather surprised that this was a widespread enough problem to necssitate legislative intervention in some places.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #236 on: 14 July 2011, 21:48:33 »
I am rather surprised that this was a widespread enough problem to necssitate legislative intervention in some places.

In short, it is safe to say that, unless specific counter-measures are taken, if something can be done, someone, somewhere will do it. The nature of what can and will be done exceeds anything that man is as yet psychologically or morally prepared to live with.
---Alvin Toffler, Future Shock

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #237 on: 14 July 2011, 22:11:28 »
 It's illegal to hump animals here, but if I buy a new dog the State doesn't check the theoretical dog already own for signs of humping.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #238 on: 14 July 2011, 22:13:54 »
It's illegal to hump animals here, but if I buy a new dog the State doesn't check the theoretical dog already own for signs of humping.

Well, you and the dog can't have kids. Though if you could, I'm sure they'd be beautiful.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #239 on: 14 July 2011, 22:33:33 »
Few days in and I'm learning some of the foibles of archaeology.  The site I'm at is Ameri-Indian site that's been looted pretty heavily by the locals.  Over the past few days me and a couple of other students have worked hard getting our test unit hole looking good and going deep.  Right now we've excavated about 45cm out of a 1 meter square hole, which doesn't sound like much but we are meticulously scraping away with trowels.

We've found a few things in our unit: some bifaces (what most people would call an "arrowhead") and some large chunks of animal bone.  The picking is slim though because of the damage done by the looters.  Today, however, as one of the guys working on the unit with me got up to grab a ruler to measure the unit depth  I happened to look down at where he was sitting.  Lo and behold I see just a little shiny bit sticking out of the ground, and in a couple of seconds I pull up one of the most complete and gorgeous bifaces this crew has seen since starting the excavation.  Just sitting there on the surface, no digging required.

It could make you just cry sometimes.  ;D
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Register