Author Topic: AFFS High Command: Eternal Grandeur  (Read 178132 times)

Crunch

• Lieutenant
Re: AFFS High Command: Eternal Grandeur
« Reply #720 on: 15 August 2011, 15:03:07 »
Wait, aren't the Crucis Lancers brigade all still RCT's?

Yeah although the 2nd CL which includes the remains of the 3rd CL is operating as 3 independent LCT style commands. The guards are all still RCTs, As are the Deneb Light Cavalry units, The first Robinson, and the March militias.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #721 on: 15 August 2011, 15:06:58 »
That was it. The force mix seems like a real mess right now with units being reduced in strength or forced into LCT formations. Anyone else want the good old days of full regiments?
Made by HikageMaru

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #722 on: 15 August 2011, 15:17:58 »
So the only two RCTs left are the two which weren't traditional RCTs to begin with?  Great, just great.

To clarify something, that answer was aimed specifically at the two Hussars brigades, not the entire AFFS.

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #723 on: 15 August 2011, 15:29:01 »
Frankly I think BattleTech military units are small enough as-is.  108-144 is exactly the right number of 'Mechs not to have to worry about faithful representation of the individual members of a unit.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #724 on: 15 August 2011, 15:29:42 »
That was it. The force mix seems like a real mess right now with units being reduced in strength or forced into LCT formations. Anyone else want the good old days of full regiments?

I actually really like the LCT, especially the emphasis on BA. A regiment of Cavalry mounted BA can put a lot of hurt on a lot of people.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #725 on: 15 August 2011, 15:34:24 »
I think the LCT is an interesting concept - small enough to be reasonably manageable, large enough to still be intimidating - but I'd be happier if they used some of them as bases to rebuild some of the RCTs.  Like, say, refounding the 3rd Crucis Lancers as an LCT, then growing it to a reinforced LCT before expanding it out to an RCT over the course of a couple of decades.

Bostwick

• Corporal
« Reply #726 on: 15 August 2011, 15:39:15 »
I always like Benjamin District Regulars because you could use them to fight Lyran units as well.

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #727 on: 15 August 2011, 15:46:24 »
I agree, and why let the perfect be enemy of the good here?  Instead of insisting upon perfect fidelity, paint your figures tan and let them represent whichever particular unit suits your needs.  Hell, half the Benjamin Regulars use the same insignia, an upturned dagger.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #728 on: 15 August 2011, 15:55:41 »
Yeah, that was something I tried to emphasize with the suggestions about who was nearby.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #729 on: 15 August 2011, 16:03:48 »
I agree, and why let the perfect be enemy of the good here?  Instead of insisting upon perfect fidelity, paint your figures tan and let them represent whichever particular unit suits your needs.  Hell, half the Benjamin Regulars use the same insignia, an upturned dagger.

I'm anal-retentive about this stuff, man! It just seems unfair to have the Kuritans at the (still largely hypothetical) first Battletech invitational be some Joe No-names.

Ah well. I'm thinking I may go Federated Suns Lancers for Davions, I've always liked those plucky underdogs, and they have a snappy paint scheme.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #730 on: 15 August 2011, 16:25:26 »
Loophole: according to FMDC, 2nd Benjamin has an assault company and is composed of heavy and light 'Mechs.  You could therefore field a heavy battalion-sized force in their colors with the understanding that the remainder are featherweights.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #731 on: 15 August 2011, 17:46:57 »
What about a Ghost Regiment for opfor?  Not well-equipped enough?  Though really I'd say a Ryuken unit.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #732 on: 15 August 2011, 17:53:23 »
I'm anal-retentive about this stuff, man! It just seems unfair to have the Kuritans at the (still largely hypothetical) first Battletech invitational be some Joe No-names.

Ah well. I'm thinking I may go Federated Suns Lancers for Davions, I've always liked those plucky underdogs, and they have a snappy paint scheme.

LOVE the FS Lancers Paint Scheme.
Mastergunz: Pryde bloodline, that's where all the winners hang!
MDM: Preferably at the end of 6' of rope!!!

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #733 on: 15 August 2011, 18:29:34 »
Josh, next time take better 'Mechs.

Talon, Specter, Jenner 7D, Garm, or Osiris.

Seriously, there's no excuse for Feddies to go wallowing around with pissant Locusts and Wolfhounds.  :P
I was in a bit of a hurry to get the game started, considering my "I'm a ******" inability to get set up on the game.
And if I were picking a Drac mech to use as a salvaged unit, it would be, well, you know what it would be.
Also, the Garm?
Maker of big things.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #734 on: 15 August 2011, 18:47:21 »
I missed that before.  Since when is the Wolfhound a pissant?

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #735 on: 15 August 2011, 19:11:51 »
Don't know why, but I always enjoy beating down the snakes.  My current monthly game is me playing AFFS against the snakes.  Can't wait to introduce the Jags to him.  }:)

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #736 on: 15 August 2011, 19:16:09 »
Don't know why, but I always enjoy beating down the snakes.

They're handily my favorite CBT foes.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #737 on: 15 August 2011, 19:28:51 »
They're handily my favorite CBT foes.

There's something about them I heavily dislike, as a faction, and its not just DFB. ;) Its not a respect for a strong opponent thing, I really like blazing a trail through their burning, shattered hulks. 

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #738 on: 15 August 2011, 19:53:15 »
Could it be because they are evil, evil people?

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #739 on: 15 August 2011, 19:58:39 »

I played Capellan for years before I switched over to the MOC, and will eventually go Cappy again in order to smack down the ROTS.  I have no problem playing as the evil side; somebody has to step up and embrace the darkness.  'The Capellans are NOT evil'?  Why the hell not?  What happened to them since I left?  That's what happens when the revisionists are running things.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #740 on: 15 August 2011, 20:10:19 »

Melissa Steiner: Those Kuritans are peculiar.
Hanse Davion: They're ugly. Ugly, ugly people.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #741 on: 15 August 2011, 20:46:27 »
I'm starting to regret painting ALL my DCMS mechs as SoL, but I would rather not strip and repaint them. Which means? MORE MINIs!  My Davion mechs are either FSAC ora lance of Assault and a lance of Heavy Guards  (which I regret because there PITAs to paint) .

Also, I like the Garm because I'm a fan of un-optimized stuff, which is why I was scratched my head when the esteemed MDM put it is such respected company.

Speaking of paint schemes I'm really hoping some of the Filtvelt units get basic paint info. I'm told their premier mercenary unit "The Thumpers" have a canon scheme listed in one of the many Mercenary Field Manuals, which I don't own. I doubt after too many years they would keep the scheme of the Filtvelt Academy as under the FedSuns or the CrMM.
Maker of big things.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #742 on: 15 August 2011, 20:58:19 »
I'm told their premier mercenary unit "The Thumpers" have a canon scheme listed in one of the many Mercenary Field Manuals, which I don't own.
Yellow with black trim.  The insignia is a white fist on a purple background.  The scheme is described as "highly visible."

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #743 on: 15 August 2011, 21:03:20 »
Also, I like the Garm because I'm a fan of un-optimized stuff, which is why I was scratched my head when the esteemed MDM put it is such respected company.

The RAC and plasma rifle variants are solid.

Speaking of paint schemes I'm really hoping some of the Filtvelt units get basic paint info. I'm told their premier mercenary unit "The Thumpers" have a canon scheme listed in one of the many Mercenary Field Manuals, which I don't own.

The Thumpers are a D-rated assault battalion, painted yellow with black trim. Zeuses, Atlases, and Banshees predominate; a third of the 40-mech battalion is not assault-class. They were basically formed by Defiance Industries in 3024 to prove Thomas Hogarth right.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #744 on: 15 August 2011, 21:12:14 »
Thumpers, 3rd MAC and Zeta Btn are correct: assaults rule. 

The SoL flat red bores me, and so they get my unwanted and unloved Mechs. 

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #745 on: 15 August 2011, 21:17:15 »
D-Rated? Nice. I can dig the color scheme on the big-ins and I do love me some HOGARTH!!! wall o' steel.
I'm not a fan of the Plasma rifle, but the RAC Garm is a good unit, I had forgotten about it...
Maker of big things.

97jedi

« Reply #746 on: 15 August 2011, 21:29:10 »
You need Geoff to weigh in, I think.  He'll know more about the current state of DCMS affairs than I will.

My advice would be to wait until the Field Manual comes out. :)

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #747 on: 15 August 2011, 21:33:25 »
My advice would be to wait until the Field Manual comes out. :)

I dare not hope! Yet...

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #748 on: 15 August 2011, 21:44:58 »
If you're not in a hurry to repaint, it's definitely worth waiting for the FM.  After all, the writeup in FR:AFFS specifically mentions a promise by Yvonne to reactivate the destroyed Crucis Lancers regiments.  It's entirely possible the 3rd exists again by 3085.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #749 on: 15 August 2011, 21:46:25 »
If you're not in a hurry to repaint, it's definitely worth waiting for the FM.  After all, the writeup in FR:AFFS specifically mentions a promise by Yvonne to reactivate the destroyed Crucis Lancers regiments.  It's entirely possible the 3rd exists again by 3085.

Somehow I doubt it, but softly softly catchee monkee, I s'pose. Maybe somebody liked my little Blakist conference call riff.