Author Topic: AFFS High Command: Eternal Grandeur  (Read 178145 times)

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
Re: AFFS High Command: Eternal Grandeur
« Reply #990 on: 21 August 2011, 15:54:49 »
So, whats red and smooshy?
MDM in his Wight after my Panther DFAs him! Booya!
Maker of big things.

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #991 on: 21 August 2011, 15:55:21 »
So the fight date/time is set! This Monday, August 22 at 7PM CDT, see the battle we've all been waiting for! Princess Greatsarcasmo stands ready defend boldly her claim that the Panther is a superior machine of war!

Squaring off against her, the Bully Gorilla himself, MadDogMaddux, who plans to make Princess Greatsarcasmo cry like a 12 year old boy whose Legacy's head just got shot off!!! Maddux asserts, in a move that seems to many to be completely out of character, that the Wight's faster speed and heavier firepower makes up for a lack of jumping and poor artwork!

Place your bets, ladies and germs, as MadDogMaddux and Princess Greatsarcasmo will square off in three bouts over 2 mapsheets each, one consisting of twinned Battletech1 sheets, one consisting of twinned Battleforce sheets, and one completely randomly generated. We didn't bother naming a third mapsheet, as Princess Greatsarcasmo won't even make it into the third round of combat!!!!

Watch this space for future updates, including the necessary MegaMek version, and IP address wherein you can watch the MadDog break the Princess!!!!
Mastergunz: Pryde bloodline, that's where all the winners hang!
MDM: Preferably at the end of 6' of rope!!!

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #992 on: 21 August 2011, 16:01:58 »
Will this be a double-blind match as well?

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #993 on: 21 August 2011, 16:11:38 »
So the fight date/time is set! This Monday, August 22 at 7PM CDT, see the battle we've all been waiting for! Princess Greatsarcasmo stands ready defend boldly her claim that the Panther is a superior machine of war!

Squaring off against her, the Bully Gorilla himself, MadDogMaddux, who plans to make Princess Greatsarcasmo cry like a 12 year old boy whose Legacy's head just got shot off!!! Maddux asserts, in a move that seems to many to be completely out of character, that the Wight's faster speed and heavier firepower makes up for a lack of jumping and poor artwork!

Place your bets, ladies and germs, as MadDogMaddux and Princess Greatsarcasmo will square off in three bouts over 2 mapsheets each, one consisting of twinned Battletech1 sheets, one consisting of twinned Battleforce sheets, and one completely randomly generated. We didn't bother naming a third mapsheet, as Princess Greatsarcasmo won't even make it into the third round of combat!!!!

Watch this space for future updates, including the necessary MegaMek version, and IP address wherein you can watch the MadDog break the Princess!!!!
Oh, so that's how this is going down...
I see how you are!

Will this be a double-blind match as well?
No on the double blind.
Maker of big things.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #994 on: 21 August 2011, 16:14:17 »
Place your bets, ladies and germs

Tom: How about this, Ron? Try Snakejuice. If you like it, you got to talk it up all night. If you don't, I'll shave Jean-Ralphio's head.

Ron: Yeah, I'd like to see that. Hit me.

Jean-Ralphio: There's a lot riiiiding on thiiiiis....
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #995 on: 21 August 2011, 16:30:08 »
MDM has to win, for if he loses, I get to eat as much gelato as I can. And I can eat A LOT of gelato...  O0
Maker of big things.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #996 on: 21 August 2011, 17:04:52 »
I'm Nerd, and I support MadDogMaddux and his Wight.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #997 on: 21 August 2011, 17:11:51 »
Its his Wight to be wrong...

What, too much?

Davout
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #998 on: 21 August 2011, 17:28:20 »
MDM has to win, for if he loses, I get to eat as much gelato as I can. And I can eat A LOT of gelato...  O0

I only make bets I can afford to cover, I can cover this one because you have no chance of winning.

Pantywaist.

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #999 on: 21 August 2011, 17:28:41 »
I'm Nerd, and I support MadDogMaddux and his Wight.

* MadDogMaddux likes this comment.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #1000 on: 21 August 2011, 17:51:37 »
Pride goeth before a fall.  Or being eaten out of house and home in your case.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1001 on: 21 August 2011, 18:26:19 »

Nice! Promise to share. Also, does Ben Rome know about this? IIRC, he designed the Wight.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2011, 21:04:50 by 3rdCrucisLancers »

97jedi

« Reply #1002 on: 21 August 2011, 21:04:26 »
Oh, so that's how this is going down...
I see how you are!

Yeah, but if you win he'll never mention it again.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #1003 on: 21 August 2011, 21:05:46 »
Yeah, but if you win he'll never mention it again.
If?  ???
Maker of big things.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #1004 on: 21 August 2011, 21:11:04 »
Nice! Promise to share. Also, does Ben Rome know about this? IIRC, he designed the Wight.
Share? Who do you think is driving me down there in the lap of luxury? I guess I could try to let Mr. Rome  know via Twitter, unless someone else here has a better way (i.e better associated with him) to let him know the goods?

You're either with me or Panther food!
Go Team (Sex) Panther!
Maker of big things.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1005 on: 21 August 2011, 21:34:57 »
3CL's got him on the book of faces, I saw.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

97jedi

« Reply #1006 on: 21 August 2011, 22:46:11 »
If?  ???

You did choose MegaMek, which defies probability with all the 2s and 12s that get rolled. I'm not a fan of the system.

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1007 on: 21 August 2011, 23:28:47 »
You did choose MegaMek, which defies probability with all the 2s and 12s that get rolled. I'm not a fan of the system.

Do you have a log of rolls that shows that? I've been logging the RNG off and on and it seems pretty close to a bell curve.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #1008 on: 22 August 2011, 10:05:16 »
Awesome night of DnD last night.

Our 6th level 30 point build party vs a Lich, several zombies/skeletons, and a Necrosis Carnex.

First round of combat, after he's dropped Web on all of us, my Wizard catches him with Baleful transposition - leaving HIM in the web right next to our Knight and Barbarian, while I'm suddenly on the dais from whence he was planning on raining down ranged spells.

Next round, our cleric succeeds with casting Know Vulnerabilities and barks out how we can actually damage him, our bard lights up a righteous guitar riff, and our melee guys get to tearing him a new one. About 3 rounds of that, and he drops the web spell and flees - but not far enough, as I chase him down and hit both him and the Necrosis Carnex with a Sudden Maximized Fireburst. 40 points of fire to the Carnex, which dies after taking its first damage in the game, and 20 to the Lich.

Lich casts spider climb and climbs up the wall into the darkness where we can't see him. Cleric moves into range and readies to cast a spell when he CAN see him. I cast Wall of Light up on the wall where I think he is, which is a Daylight equivalent spell - the cleric casts and succeeds on Dispel Magic against the spider climb, causing the Lich to fall 55 feet right at the feet of our Barbarian and Knight. Whack Whack, and the Cleric steps up with a Holy Smite. Game. Set. Match.

Friggin' Awesome.  [rockon]

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #1009 on: 22 August 2011, 10:18:10 »
Just out of curiosity, who's going to try to make it to the slaughtering of greatsarcasmo tonight?

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #1010 on: 22 August 2011, 10:19:06 »
Oh, and we'll be using the latest stable version of MM - 0.34.9

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1011 on: 22 August 2011, 10:20:04 »
Just out of curiosity, who's going to try to make it to the slaughtering of greatsarcasmo tonight?

I'll do my best. In a perfect world, I'll be eating pizza and watching it, like some kind of hinky pay-per-view.

(NB I also have a lot of model airplanes to primer, as Melanie has forbidden the purchase of further Spitfires until I build the ones I have.)

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #1012 on: 22 August 2011, 10:21:30 »
I'll be seeing what I can do.  It'll be my first time trying to spectate with MM, so I'll probably mess it up.

I assembled some minis for the first time over the weekend.  Now I guess I'm going to have to learn how to paint them.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1013 on: 22 August 2011, 10:23:00 »
I assembled some minis for the first time over the weekend.  Now I guess I'm going to have to learn how to paint them.

What minis? What paint scheme?

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #1014 on: 22 August 2011, 10:28:29 »
I have a RAC-Centurion, Atlas, Rifleman, Wolfhound, Battlemaster, and Griffin sitting on my shelf.  I'll probably do them up as Heavy Guard since that's both my favorite unit and the scheme looks easy. I also have an Archer and an Enforcer I haven't assembled yet.  I'm going to need to get something more delicate than my fingers to deal with the little fiddly bits they have.  The Archer also has a protrusion in the socket where the torso and legs come together.  I'm going to need to find a way to file that down without damaging the rim.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1015 on: 22 August 2011, 10:33:13 »
I recommend a nail file if you don't have access to a good file set. Works wonders.

Which Davion Guards scheme? The Field Manual "Uncle Sam" one, or the classic blue with red/white stripe? There was a good tutorial for doing a battleworn version of the former for the New Avalon fighting that I found very helpful a while back.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1016 on: 22 August 2011, 10:35:19 »
I'd also like to note that despite the incessant bitching and whining, it seems pretty easy to build a solid Drac company, even without hundreds of gauss boats.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #1017 on: 22 August 2011, 10:37:31 »
I recommend a nail file if you don't have access to a good file set. Works wonders.
This was recommended to me, but I don't have one yet.

Which Davion Guards scheme? The Field Manual "Uncle Sam" one, or the classic blue with red/white stripe? There was a good tutorial for doing a battleworn version of the former for the New Avalon fighting that I found very helpful a while back.
The Field Manual one.  It looks really difficult to mess up, as paint schemes go, and there's plenty of examples on CamoSpecs to look at for guidance.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1018 on: 22 August 2011, 10:43:33 »
The Field Manual one.  It looks really difficult to mess up, as paint schemes go, and there's plenty of examples on CamoSpecs to look at for guidance.

I actually think it's one of the harder schemes out there to attempt from the start, but I'm a notoriously weak painter.

The tips I found helpful were this: paint the white areas light grey and drybrush white over them, paint the blue a dark blue and very lightly drybrush GW Ice Blue over it, and just use a nice deep red. Ink black before drybrushing. The net effect is a very battleworn DG scheme, which worked for what I was doing.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #1019 on: 22 August 2011, 11:05:36 »
I'll do my best. In a perfect world, I'll be eating pizza and watching it, like some kind of hinky pay-per-view.

(NB I also have a lot of model airplanes to primer, as Melanie has forbidden the purchase of further Spitfires until I build the ones I have.)
Ack. Your wife and Christine can never be allowed to talk. If she ever got an idea like that...
Maker of big things.