Author Topic: AFFS High Command: Eternal Grandeur  (Read 178019 times)

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
Re: AFFS High Command: Eternal Grandeur
« Reply #1260 on: 25 August 2011, 15:30:26 »
I like this idea. I ordered the second company of the DCMS, so maybe at some point we should hash out and BV2 up both sides in full so we can plan for the future.

That'd actually be ideal. I can only paint 1 'Mech in the time it takes you to do 3 anyhow.  :D
Mastergunz: Pryde bloodline, that's where all the winners hang!
MDM: Preferably at the end of 6' of rope!!!

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1261 on: 25 August 2011, 17:37:45 »
You mean I'm supposed to build and paint these minis and not just continue buying them?! :o No one ever told me! :'(

I've only built a handful of minis since I moved, and have an absurd number that need to be stripped/built/painted.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1262 on: 25 August 2011, 18:07:56 »
You mean I'm supposed to build and paint these minis and not just continue buying them?! :o No one ever told me! :'(

I've only built a handful of minis since I moved, and have an absurd number that need to be stripped/built/painted.
I've had this same problem for four moves over five years.  Basically, I suck.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1263 on: 25 August 2011, 18:30:28 »
Hey, you have that whole "Active Duty Marine" thing to account for your time Matt.  I've got scads of these buggers laying around, half-finished and don't have an excuse other than "don't feel like getting high from paint stripper tonight".

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1264 on: 25 August 2011, 18:37:45 »

Aye, you made it back to civilization before I did.  You do suck. :P

On another note, damn the incoming class for plumbing is dumb.  I'm not talking about their plumbing knowledge; I'm talking true basics for tradesmen.  How the hell can an adult not read a bloody tape rule?  Or be able to handle fractions(5-7/8" + 14-3/16" type numbers)?  There's no math pre-reqs for the course, as the instructor can teach 'plumber's math' which is all very basic stuff and some of these students are why. 

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1265 on: 25 August 2011, 18:41:14 »
They can't read a tape?  ???  What the hell have these idiots been doing?

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #1266 on: 25 August 2011, 18:49:27 »
I'm with Paladin1 here.

A few years back, a senior E-5 at my command was talking about how his division's junior guy didn't know what a Phillip's head screwdriver was.  Mind you, all mechanical rates in the submarine force (Auxiliary MM's, Torpedomen, Missile Technicans, and god help them, Nuclear MM's) go through a "Tools for Dummies" course as part of the pipeline.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1267 on: 25 August 2011, 19:23:18 »
They can't read a tape?  ???  What the hell have these idiots been doing?

Best example is the runt that was in the US Army.  Strutting around, all 5'5" of him, running his mouth non-stop.  He can't read a tape; he can't use a hammer for anything.  And then he asks the big, ex-prison guard good old boy if he should go into the prison system for the sake of busting heads.  We're not even two weeks into the semester and I nearly got into it with him once already.  Its like a caricature from Jersey Shore, right down to the Sicilian tattoo on his arm.

This isn't all the ex-service guys, or all the students by any means, but easily 5 in the class of 12 I don't see passing. 

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1268 on: 25 August 2011, 19:24:20 »
I'm with Paladin1 here.

A few years back, a senior E-5 at my command was talking about how his division's junior guy didn't know what a Phillip's head screwdriver was.  Mind you, all mechanical rates in the submarine force (Auxiliary MM's, Torpedomen, Missile Technicans, and god help them, Nuclear MM's) go through a "Tools for Dummies" course as part of the pipeline.

The one USN guy that was in knew his stuff, probably the sharpest one in the course overall.  He was carrier flight crew.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1269 on: 25 August 2011, 19:26:08 »
Aye, you made it back to civilization before I did.  You do suck. :P
Yes, yes I did.  Speaking of civilization, Potomac Mills is just across I-95 from me.  I spent a good chunk of my free time rebuilding my Lego Star Wars Ultimate Collector Series sets.  Very relaxing, even when I then had to take them apart before moving.  So, I am looking forward to building the "now available" Super Star Destroyer with my free time.

I still need to paint.  For a while I was contemplating a convoluted fan build sponsoring scheme through Sawbones but commissioning someone to paint one or two minis for me and use the rest as payment for the painted minis.  The point being, I don't need anymore unpainted minis under my desk or in storage.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1270 on: 25 August 2011, 19:37:03 »
Yes, yes I did.  Speaking of civilization, Potomac Mills is just across I-95 from me.  I spent a good chunk of my free time rebuilding my Lego Star Wars Ultimate Collector Series sets.  Very relaxing, even when I then had to take them apart before moving.  So, I am looking forward to building the "now available" Super Star Destroyer with my free time.

I still need to paint.  For a while I was contemplating a convoluted fan build sponsoring scheme through Sawbones but commissioning someone to paint one or two minis for me and use the rest as payment for the painted minis.  The point being, I don't need anymore unpainted minis under my desk or in storage.

Legos don't do it for me anymore.  I think my creative side of things is pretty well dead, as I never cared for building the actual things, just making my own stuff. 

The painting for minis ordered is not a bad idea; hit Zuggo if you need Warships, I have about a half-dozen of his.  Still have about half my funding money left over, holding out for the Sling and other new infantry/BA before I use it up.  Considering funding the Arbiter when it opens back up(unless its already been done, don't think it has). 

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #1271 on: 25 August 2011, 19:53:56 »
I'm with Paladin1 here...

*points to the still smoking scrap heap that used to be 2 Mongoosen*

Nerd, we've got some pretty good evidence here that you're in the worst place possible right about now...

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1272 on: 25 August 2011, 19:56:46 »
Legos don't do it for me anymore.  I think my creative side of things is pretty well dead, as I never cared for building the actual things, just making my own stuff. 

The painting for minis ordered is not a bad idea; hit Zuggo if you need Warships, I have about a half-dozen of his.  Still have about half my funding money left over, holding out for the Sling and other new infantry/BA before I use it up.  Considering funding the Arbiter when it opens back up(unless its already been done, don't think it has).
I'm more focused on 'Mech, Vehicles, and BA.  I liked funding the Prowler tank because it was obscure and overlooked.  I would like to support variants (like the G, H, T, of the ENF-6) or other obscure miniatures (Phalanx Amphib tank).  Also, I can hear my wife saying, "just how lazy are you?"  I need to paint.  Maybe this weekend.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #1273 on: 25 August 2011, 19:59:32 »
The one USN guy that was in knew his stuff, probably the sharpest one in the course overall.  He was carrier flight crew.
Those guys are in a similar get smart or get out situation as submariners.

I'm working in a sandblasting/powdercoating/sanding/painting facility off hull that's also being used by the carrier currently at PSNS.  One of the few guys off it I don't think is worthless is one of the flight deck types.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1274 on: 25 August 2011, 20:00:17 »
*points to the still smoking scrap heap that used to be 2 Mongoosen*

Nerd, we've got some pretty good evidence here that you're in the worst place possible right about now...
Hey, that'll be enough outta you!  Not my fault they weren't quality Davion machines, I mean really, I had to work with what I had.   ;D

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1275 on: 25 August 2011, 20:02:11 »
I'm more focused on 'Mech, Vehicles, and BA.  I liked funding the Prowler tank because it was obscure and overlooked.  I would like to support variants (like the G, H, T, of the ENF-6) or other obscure miniatures (Phalanx Amphib tank).  Also, I can hear my wife saying, "just how lazy are you?"  I need to paint.  Maybe this weekend.

I wouldn't mind a better-sized Enforcer III to start with, its long been my favourite Mech from 3060.  The mini is tiny.  Its shoulders beg for ball joint arms. 

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1276 on: 25 August 2011, 20:02:27 »
Best example is the runt that was in the US Army.  Strutting around, all 5'5" of him, running his mouth non-stop.  He can't read a tape; he can't use a hammer for anything.  And then he asks the big, ex-prison guard good old boy if he should go into the prison system for the sake of busting heads.  We're not even two weeks into the semester and I nearly got into it with him once already.  Its like a caricature from Jersey Shore, right down to the Sicilian tattoo on his arm.

This isn't all the ex-service guys, or all the students by any means, but easily 5 in the class of 12 I don't see passing.
Can't read a tape, can't use a hammer and a walking Jersey Shore caricature?  Remind me again why the South is so bad?  :P

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1277 on: 25 August 2011, 20:03:46 »
Can't read a tape, can't use a hammer and a walking Jersey Shore caricature?  Remind me again why the South is so bad?  :P

He's from the South; a native Fayettevillain.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1278 on: 25 August 2011, 20:03:59 »
You helped fund the Prowler?  I owe you a heart-felt "Thank You" and a beer the next time we game together then, that little baby is one of my favorite tanks.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1279 on: 25 August 2011, 20:05:09 »
He's from the South; a native Fayettevillain.
Oh dear God, that's just not right.  He's gotta be a transplant or something then, cause no Southern man would ever admit to being unable to use basic handtools like that.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1280 on: 25 August 2011, 20:13:00 »
Oh dear God, that's just not right.  He's gotta be a transplant or something then, cause no Southern man would ever admit to being unable to use basic handtools like that.

He didn't admit it, it was there for everyone to see. ;D

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1281 on: 25 August 2011, 20:16:09 »
You helped fund the Prowler?  I owe you a heart-felt "Thank You" and a beer the next time we game together then, that little baby is one of my favorite tanks.
Yup, my lone contribution to the CBT universe.
I wouldn't mind a better-sized Enforcer III to start with, its long been my favourite Mech from 3060.  The mini is tiny.  Its shoulders beg for ball joint arms.
Good point.  I also think the G, H, T, would be too easy to have as in-blister mods.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1282 on: 25 August 2011, 20:17:36 »
He didn't admit it, it was there for everyone to see. ;D
Well, you're in luck because in NC, someone being "Too Stupid to Live" is still considered a valid defense for murder.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1283 on: 25 August 2011, 20:22:09 »
Yup, my lone contribution to the CBT universe.Good point.  I also think the G, H, T, would be too easy to have as in-blister mods.

Still waiting for the Sling, Theseus BA and some 3085 PBI to be released for mine.

I think an arms sprue for a slightly larger ENF-6M/G/H/T would be awesome.  Let's make it happen.

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #1284 on: 25 August 2011, 20:24:53 »
I just want an Enforcer resculpt that doesn't look like it got hit in the face with a frying pan.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1285 on: 25 August 2011, 20:25:56 »
Still waiting for the Sling, Theseus BA and some 3085 PBI to be released for mine.

I think an arms sprue for a slightly larger ENF-6M/G/H/T would be awesome.  Let's make it happen.
I think the biggest problem, aside from fan financing being shut down, is that there isn't any art for them.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #1286 on: 25 August 2011, 20:28:36 »

I love the ENF, but the mini looks good and I'm loathe to see a repeat of the Enforcer I resculpt.

I'd want to see either the Morrigan or the Fennec funded, personally. Might look into it if my raise happens.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #1287 on: 25 August 2011, 20:30:34 »
I think the biggest problem, aside from fan financing being shut down, is that there isn't any art for them.

Fan Financing is shut down?

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1288 on: 25 August 2011, 20:31:39 »
Fan Financing is shut down?

THere's a huge backlog of stuff needing to be sculpted/released.  Its a good shutdown.

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #1289 on: 25 August 2011, 20:36:26 »
Nice!

Register