Author Topic: AFFS High Command: Eternal Grandeur  (Read 178145 times)

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
Re: AFFS High Command: Eternal Grandeur
« Reply #1320 on: 26 August 2011, 01:53:54 »
They are guys who hide inside buildings and make you look stupid, mostly.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Home of hand built Timber Wolves.
« Reply #1321 on: 26 August 2011, 02:15:14 »
Bankers?
From a 'Mech grave he rose, snarling
Ready to do battle for his vanquished Clan
Stalking the Falcon Khans, who would remake us
His actions, the Wolf incarnate
  -The Remembrance(Clan Wolf), Passage 412, Verse 10, Lines 9-12

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #1322 on: 26 August 2011, 04:15:37 »
I haven't had an issue running HMP and HMA on my Win7 machine.
I haven't reinstalled since the new OS, but I did see a post from Rick on the HMP forums about working on a Win7 patch.  He indicated there was a compatibility issue.  But really, unless you are running a campaign set between 2570 and 3067, and not using WiGEs, Support Vehicles, or any of the other new unit types, Heavy Metal is of limited use.  Until he releases the new editions with the new TO equipment and the updated Vehicle construction, compatibility isn't really the problem.
I like TRO:VA but it really needs a price list to be useful.  How much does the motorcycle for my PC cost?
Agreed.
MW3 (and aToW) both have prices, but its generic "car" and "motorcycle."
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #1323 on: 26 August 2011, 05:10:56 »
Bankers?

Mine greet me by bowing at the waist.

/put on suit
/put on championship belt over suit
/be the Million Dollar Man

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1324 on: 26 August 2011, 07:10:30 »
Well I spent most of my day painting on three minis.  Two Fire Mandrill mechs, in Mattilla Carol colors, a Warhawk and Shadow Cat.  Those guys are a learning experience.  First time ever painting in yellow.  Fun.  :P

The third mini is a Battle Cobra in Steel Viper Alpha Galaxy.  Now this mini is rocking!  It turned out WAY better than I was hoping for and I am quite proud of the little guy.  As a matter of fact he is sitting here on my computer desk next to me.

Hmmmm.  Perhaps I should send him to the Chatterweb...
Please send a Battle Cobra A over there to clean out the morons.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1325 on: 26 August 2011, 07:31:53 »
They're worried it might compete with their any tank that has an SRM-6 market niche.
I'm not really up on the latest TRO data like I should be, but has anyone thought of replacing the SRM6 on the Myrmidon with an MML of some sort?  That would seem like a sensible thing to do for a budget tank that should be able to be a jack of all trades.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1326 on: 26 August 2011, 07:35:40 »
I haven't reinstalled since the new OS, but I did see a post from Rick on the HMP forums about working on a Win7 patch.  He indicated there was a compatibility issue.  But really, unless you are running a campaign set between 2570 and 3067, and not using WiGEs, Support Vehicles, or any of the other new unit types, Heavy Metal is of limited use.  Until he releases the new editions with the new TO equipment and the updated Vehicle construction, compatibility isn't really the problem.
I haven't checked out the HMPro boards in a couple of months now, has there been any progress on getting the new version out or is it still being referred to as "in the pipe"?

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #1327 on: 26 August 2011, 08:25:37 »
I haven't checked out the HMPro boards in a couple of months now, has there been any progress on getting the new version out or is it still being referred to as "in the pipe"?

I'm pretty sure availability is now "when the stars are right".

Although this post seems to indicate a possible 2011 release. Made on August 3, so who knows?
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1328 on: 26 August 2011, 08:30:46 »
Maybe my games are more infantry heavy than yours but I never mind having a few MGs around for smushing the PBIs trying to swarm my line tanks. ESPECIALLY post TRO 3085.

Sure, nor do I. But SIX LMGs? Why, god, why? The AFFS already has the Ranger and the Fox armored car (which I've taken a shine to), and both can kill infantry and are faster and cheaper. "I bring an ER Large Laser to the party!" is not a thrilling selling point for me, unless the vehicle weighs three tons.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #1329 on: 26 August 2011, 08:36:04 »
I wonder how many companies would kill to get the built in audience that HMPro has? and would do a better job of keeping it updated? If I had run my business like that? Yikes is all I can say.
Maker of big things.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #1330 on: 26 August 2011, 09:01:35 »
Well, Rick is a one-man operation who does HMP as a side job to his real day job. Given that he realhas  life and had family health concerns (working on memory here), HMP did take a back seat. Throw in the fact that there were four corebooks put out in four years, I don't think it helped him in developing the next iteration of HMP.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #1331 on: 26 August 2011, 09:15:25 »
I'm not really up on the latest TRO data like I should be, but has anyone thought of replacing the SRM6 on the Myrmidon with an MML of some sort?  That would seem like a sensible thing to do for a budget tank that should be able to be a jack of all trades.

Doesn't work especially well unless you're fussing around with the armor to get the tonnage to carry a second ton of ammo.  If you're not going to do that, give me my sixth SRM tube back.

I wonder how many companies would kill to get the built in audience that HMPro has? and would do a better job of keeping it updated? If I had run my business like that? Yikes is all I can say.

At this point, HMPro has very effective competition in SSW.  Rick's going to have to work to get his market share back for 'Mechs at this point in the face of a free, high quality competitor that has an advantage in being able to run readily on non-Windows architectures (i.e., markets he can not readily compete in).  If HMP6 works well, he could certainly do it, but there's a lot of disgruntled HMP customers who have gotten used to SSW by now.

With HMVee or HMAero, on the other hand, he could easily wipe the floor with the competitors such as they actually exist.  The main one that's remotely up to date is MegaMekLab, the vehicle interface for which is annoying enough to me that after trying to deal with it once I settled on Notepad++ as my MegaMek-compatible vehicle design program of choice and go to a certain amount of trouble to cram TW/TO options through HMVee for other purposes.

Well, Rick is a one-man operation who does HMP as a side job to his real day job. Given that he realhas  life and had family health concerns (working on memory here), HMP did take a back seat. Throw in the fact that there were four corebooks put out in four years, I don't think it helped him in developing the next iteration of HMP.

Agreed.  I can understand and sympathize very readily with what happened to him.  That doesn't mean that HMP6 is going to be an automatic purchase for me the way HMV6 or a new HMAero would be.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #1332 on: 26 August 2011, 10:06:04 »
Well, I use SSW for 'Mech designing but after looking around at vehicle programmes I very rapidly plumped for HeavyMetal Vee and am very pleased with it... my intermittently playing group are using a lot of vehicles and I said I would help to throw together some custom ride stats and then some custom playing sheets with 4 vees to a page and the key to hit location chart and critical hit chart(s) - I think I did a rather spiffy job if I say so myself but haven't had the definitive opinion from playtesting
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
« Reply #1333 on: 26 August 2011, 10:11:35 »
See, I don't know why anyone would WANT HMP back. Sure, HMVee and HMBA, etc are nice - but SSW is SO much nicer for 'Mechs. Especially if you tie it in to the force balancer.

I'm just sayin'.

When Solaris Armor Works, etc. are fully running - I don't see any reason for HeavyMetal to stay in operation.

Granted, I know that Chunga, for one, really doesn't like SSW - so I'm sure there's a crowd out there with strong opinions to counterbalance those who share mine.
Mastergunz: Pryde bloodline, that's where all the winners hang!
MDM: Preferably at the end of 6' of rope!!!

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1334 on: 26 August 2011, 10:14:14 »
IF HMP6 is a fully integrated design tool, IE it lets you do vehicles, 'mechs, BA, ASF, and support vees, and IF it has the files for all canon designs available, it'd be a must-buy for me. Otherwise? Well, I have the RS PDFs, and a laser printer, so...

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #1335 on: 26 August 2011, 10:38:15 »
IF HMP6 is a fully integrated design tool, IE it lets you do vehicles, 'mechs, BA, ASF, and support vees, and IF it has the files for all canon designs available, it'd be a must-buy for me. Otherwise? Well, I have the RS PDFs, and a laser printer, so...
This.
In fact, If he does support vehicles, well, then it's a done deal for me to purchase.
I can sympathize with personal issues, and when I ran my business, I had to have another job as well, so I *TOTALLY* understand the stress that entails. I hurt my ankle (there is no 'light duty' when you are a one man show) and my mom got cancer so I had to take care of her, so I did the only thing I could do--sell my business. 
No REAL updates after 6 years? Inexcusable. He either needed to bring other people in on the design or sell the company.
But hey, what do I know?

Maker of big things.

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Home of hand built Timber Wolves.
« Reply #1336 on: 26 August 2011, 15:40:48 »
Please send a Battle Cobra A over there to clean out the morons.

Sadly after some thinking I dont think the SLDF navy is sufficient force to succeed in such an endeavor.
From a 'Mech grave he rose, snarling
Ready to do battle for his vanquished Clan
Stalking the Falcon Khans, who would remake us
His actions, the Wolf incarnate
  -The Remembrance(Clan Wolf), Passage 412, Verse 10, Lines 9-12

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #1337 on: 26 August 2011, 18:54:59 »
Sadly after some thinking I dont think the SLDF navy is sufficient force to succeed in such an endeavor.
Even if they "kills it with their battleships"?
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #1338 on: 26 August 2011, 19:23:46 »
The cockroaches would crawl out, then start arguing over the aesthetic properties of different pieces of rubble.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #1339 on: 26 August 2011, 19:53:44 »
So taking the lessons I learned from my epic(ly one-sided) battle with MDM, I have set out to try to improve the Panther. My goals we as follows:
1. Be able to generate a +3TN from jumping (5 minimum jump MP)
2. Take a HPPC hit anywhere (Not possible, so changed to maximum armor)
3. Keep the Panthers Energy weapon SRM pack weapon layout.
4. Mount a HPPC
5. Keep BV and cost close to the Wights.
6. Avoid as much exotic stuff as possible. 

I was able to do it all, with using only endo-steel. And adding 5 tons...
My Panther II (Grand Panther?) came in at a BV of 1308 and cost of 3,239,000 as compared to the Wights BV of 1100 and cost 3,389,000
Besides trying to reinvent the wheel here, I think it's a pretty good design, but I Wight be wrong...
Maker of big things.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1340 on: 26 August 2011, 20:04:01 »
So to beat the Wight you built a 40-ton 'mech? I'd hate to see your solution to the Devastator.

In all seriousness, the problem the Wight and Panther both have is that they're as slow as machines twice their size, with enough firepower to core either of them in a single shot. Wights are very dangerous to light and small medium 'mechs, but the weapon that makes them so dangerous also makes them a prime target. For anything over a lance-sized battle, I'd much rather field a Jenner than a Wight or a Panther, since it can generate higher TMMs and escape from larger foes.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1341 on: 26 August 2011, 20:05:07 »
The Jenner is the best Clan Mech ever.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #1342 on: 26 August 2011, 20:06:04 »
So to beat the Wight you built a 40-ton 'mech? I'd hate to see your solution to the Devastator.

I think we now know why the Ares design program started.

In all seriousness, the problem the Wight and Panther both have is that they're as slow as machines twice their size, with enough firepower to core either of them in a single shot. Wights are very dangerous to light and small medium 'mechs, but the weapon that makes them so dangerous also makes them a prime target. For anything over a lance-sized battle, I'd much rather field a Jenner than a Wight or a Panther, since it can generate higher TMMs and escape from larger foes.

That description reminds me a lot of the Cougar, actually.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1343 on: 26 August 2011, 20:09:26 »
That description reminds me a lot of the Cougar, actually.

Yep, I feel the same. The Cougar will blow most light 'mechs away with contemptuous ease; I imagine it's a phenomenal duelist, for those who like that foolishness. A slow, lightly-armored target carrying two large pulse lasers, however, is not something most larger 'mech pilots will hesitate to perforate. 

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1344 on: 26 August 2011, 20:11:45 »
The Cougar blows away Lyran lights and mediums, and is useful against a fair number of their heavies.  Its subpar to most Clan mediums to a substantial degree, and plenty of Clan lights.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #1345 on: 26 August 2011, 20:17:02 »

It must be the Lyran in me...
I could have made it 35 tons, but had to use an XL and such--something I was loath to do.
The Panther is just being left in the dust, except for niche roles (I'm looking at you Plasma Rifle...)
I'll just have to see what the retrotech factory on Filtvelt is pumping out and select that as my new favorite underdog...

The Jenner is am awesome design, which is why I can't champion it.
Maker of big things.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1346 on: 26 August 2011, 20:18:21 »
I could have made it 35 tons, but had to use an XL and such--something I was loath to do.
The Panther is just being left in the dust, except for niche roles (I'm looking at you Plasma Rifle...)
I'll just have to see what the retrotech factory on Filtvelt is pumping out and select that as my new favorite underdog...

A plasma rifle Panther would be useful as an infantry support Mech. 

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #1347 on: 26 August 2011, 20:40:05 »

4/6/4, 35 tons, ES, max armor, plasma rifle with two tons of ammo, DHS, MML-3 with 3 tons of ammo (SRM, LRM, Inferno), CASE, ERSL. Bam. BV 969, runs cool, and between the inferno SRMs and the plasma rifle, you can really mess with people. There you go. A man's Panther (Manther).

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #1348 on: 26 August 2011, 20:43:45 »
A man's Panther (Manther).

I just call it a Wolverine.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1349 on: 27 August 2011, 00:19:06 »
I think we now know why the Ares design program started.
More importantly, I think we now know who started the Ares design program.  "Build a better Wight", they said.  "Make it harder to kill", they said.  Maybe we should just start referring to Josh as "Zeus" from now on...

Register