Author Topic: Question Regarding the Crusader CRD-3R  (Read 1020 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Question Regarding the Crusader CRD-3R
« on: 06 October 2018, 22:39:07 »
I'm having a moment of confusion regarding the Crusader CRD-3R.  The RATs in Reunification War show it as being available to the Rim Worlds, but when I look it up on the MUL (or anywhere else), its intro date is listed as 2752.  Is this a big typo and it should be 2552? ???  My fellow mechwarriors, I ask for your assistance.

And if this has been covered before, my apologies for bringing it up again.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Re: Question Regarding the Crusader CRD-3R
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2018, 22:46:15 »
The Crusaders intro has always been 2752 from my understanding, more likely a typo in the RAT's that can easily be supplemented by replacing Crusader with the much older Archer. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2018, 22:54:05 »
The Crusader's introduction date isn't a typo as far as I know. The 3R is actually a downgrade of the more advanced Crusaders used by the SLDF, and it looks like it was originally made for the mercenary and periphery market.

This happens sometimes. Usually because a product comes out before details about units have been fully ironed out, or a detail that since got changed (probably to iron out inconsistencies). Example: the War of 3039 historical lists the Mauler on the combine random allocation tables, but it has since been stated that the maulers fielded were actually the less sophisticated Daboku, which didn't exist when the war of 3039 book was published.

You might post a question in the ask the writers forum, but I think the standard answer is that the RATs are more guidelines than rules, and you should feel free to switch things out if you feel you need to. 
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2018, 23:04:35 »
The Crusaders intro has always been 2752 from my understanding, more likely a typo in the RAT's that can easily be supplemented by replacing Crusader with the much older Archer.

TRO 3039 indicates the Crusader was introduced in the late 26th century. And there's a Crusader 1R listed on the master unit list. What I'm betting is they originally intended the 3R crusader to be a reunification war model, then later when they started doing Royal Mechs, they noticed that Star League Crusaders were known for their fancy missiles that got lost to the succession wars, so they had to come up with an earlier design for the 3R to be downgraded from, then dropped in an even older Crusader 1R at some point to accommodate the late 26th century data point.

Amusing thought, maybe the Crusader 1R, if it ever gets published, will turn out to be identical to the 3R.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2018, 23:26:13 »
Thus my confusion.  I can't find any stats for the -1R other than what is on Sarna.  And the way it reads, I agree, it sounds like the -3R is a downgrade from this -1R.  Plus the fluff of it being produced and put to the test during the Reunification War doesn't line up with any of the intro dates.  I may end up using it anyway, but I'm still curious what the truth of the matter is.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2018, 01:43:14 »
Stumbled on this thread from last year where a member of the MUL team comments on the Crusader 1R.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2018, 07:10:30 »
Excellent.  Thank you! :thumbsup: