Author Topic: Tell me about... the Fidelis  (Read 18287 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Tell me about... the Fidelis
« on: 23 April 2013, 17:57:26 »
With the release of ER:3145 and the emergence of the Fidelis as a full fledged (mini)faction of their own, my interest in them has been sparked.  Unfortunately, I don't know all that much about them (nor that much about the Smoke Jaguars, honestly.  In the middle of rectifying that).  I know that they're not the most numerous in the Sphere, and that they're ostensibly Clan descended, and until recently subservient to the Republic of the Sphere.  That's about where my knowledge ends, however.

Could someone(s) fill me in on them?  What equipment do they use, how do they use it, and in a nutshell who are they?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Tell me about... the Fidelis
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2013, 19:25:05 »
They're basically a super secret, super-duper elite unit that's known only to the Exarch (until they're unleashed), and even the Exarch doesn't seem to know all the details, unless told by a former Exarch.

Like the Clans, they're trained from an early childhood, but unlike the Clans, they're trained in multiple types of units. They start out as Technicians, then go to Infantry, Armored Infantry Vehicles (called Jaegers, IIRC), then MechWarrior. After that they're allowed to use whatever they want when in combat.

Their largest mentioned unit is a Century, which is 100 warriors (or units, I'm not entirely sure on that from SyD) plus training auxiliaries, which is split into 2 Battlegroups, which are split into 3 Umbras. Each Umbra is supposed to be about equivalent to a mixed company.

Their background is so mysterious that they have implants that others can trigger that immediately destroy all traces of DNA so if they fall on the battlefield their genetics can't be traced. But not so super-secret that their icon doesn't have a Smoke Jaguar on it.

They feel that they owe the Republic their Service for Stone's actions during the Jihad, and that's why they fight for them. They're extremely pragmatic, seeing the mission as the end all, be all, so they're perfectly willing to do whatever it takes to succeed in their mission, including blowing up full hospitals to drop them on the enemy. They're also extremely antagonistic to other Clanners, committing warcrimes such as chopping the heads off of ejected pilots with machetes.

Equipment wise they seem to have whatever they want, including a WarShip. Their production facilities are unknown, but they've basically got an island to themselves on New Earth. Due to their elite technical abilities, they have a habit of constantly modifying their gear based on their own fighting style and the needs of the mission.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2013, 21:54:56 »
Tagged I'm guessing there probably isn't much more until the FM but I'm curious
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2013, 08:06:47 »
Do we know anything about their leadership or culture/customs?  A clan-descended unit that operates in possibly the most anti-Clan way of fighting possible is bound to have something interesting in that respect.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2013, 10:16:51 »
Their leader in 3145 is Paul Moon, though he only goes by his title of Custos (my guess is that refers to Custodian). 

They have a war focused culture, but do have families, and they seem to breed naturally for certain traits.  So a variant of the Clan eugenics program is apparently in force.

They haven't seen action since the end of the Jihad, until Redburn taps them for his operations outside the Fortress.
'Service' is used in much the same way 'Unity' is by the Dragoons... as both a curse and exclamation point.

Many of their Clan traditions were apparently abandoned on the 'Road of Pain' (IIRC) and the Custos guards the Unopened Book (the Jaguar Remembrance).

They have a deep and abiding hatred of the Clans... which I attribute to the original Jaguars being angered over the other Clans abandoning them during the Annihilation carried out by Star League 2.0.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2013, 10:55:46 »
Their leader in 3145 is Paul Moon, though he only goes by his title of Custos (my guess is that refers to Custodian). 

Suggests a Loremaster type of position.  And Paul Moon WAS the Custos.  He died.

They haven't seen action since the end of the Jihad, until Redburn taps them for his operations outside the Fortress.

They were hiding on New Earth

Many of their Clan traditions were apparently abandoned on the 'Road of Pain' (IIRC) and the Custos guards the Unopened Book (the Jaguar Remembrance).

They have a deep and abiding hatred of the Clans... which I attribute to the original Jaguars being angered over the other Clans abandoning them during the Annihilation carried out by Star League 2.0.

The Great Betrayal.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2013, 12:03:11 »
Suggests a Loremaster type of position.  And Paul Moon WAS the Custos.  He died.

The epilogue for 'Surrender Your Dreams' occurs in 3156... so he's still alive.

They were hiding on New Earth

Yeeeessss.  I don't see how that really applies to how they haven't seen action though.

The Great Betrayal.

Ah, wasn't sure there.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2013, 12:21:23 »
The epilogue for 'Surrender Your Dreams' occurs in 3156... so he's still alive.

Alive during ER3145, but still dead.  Can't recall the new Custos's name... Adama?

Yeeeessss.  I don't see how that really applies to how they haven't seen action though.

Just adding to your comment about them not seeing action.  They were squirreled away for a rainy day.

Ah, wasn't sure there.

I'm making an assumption, just like how we assume the Custos was Paul Moon.  All the clues are there, but it isn't directly stated that they hate the Jade Falcons and Wolves because they turned their backs on the Smoke Jaguars.  We know there was a Grat Betrayal and they hate those responsible.  We also know what they did to the Falcons, which is a bit nasty even by BT standards.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2013, 13:39:19 »
Alive during ER3145, but still dead.  Can't recall the new Custos's name... Adama?

Adamans.  The group leader/commander who is working with Redburn outside the Fortress.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2013, 17:52:16 »
Didn't the Jags loose a warship awhile back? During Op. Serpent?

I wanna say it was their flagship but I don't really remember much right now....gonna check my books for more info.

Maybe that ship was restyled and renamed as the Fidelis warship?
Made by HikageMaru

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2013, 19:13:26 »
How was that WarShip they own built? And were is it maintained? Those sort of things are kinda are to/expensive to do in secret unless you're building an entire fleet

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2013, 19:21:07 »
One thing that's worth noting from the recent BattleChat is this:

Surrender your Dreams:
[18:02] <Nerroth> I appreciate that the post-Dark Age setup is not open for discussion, but there was one thing I wanted to clarify; are the events of the epilogue in Surrender Your Dreams still considered canon, or is that glimpse of things post-3145 no longer valid?
[18:04] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - We are not necessarily considering the epilogue for Surrender Your Dreams valid. It would be too restrictive to upcoming plans.

With that in mind, we may end up seeing the post-3145 side of things go quite differently for the Fidelis than one might have been led to expect when SyD was still considered fully canon.

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2013, 19:22:44 »
One thing that's worth noting from the recent BattleChat is this:

With that in mind, we may end up seeing the post-3145 side of things go quite differently for the Fidelis than one might have been led to expect when SyD was still considered fully canon.

is that why SyD is the only dark age book that is not available as an e-book?
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2013, 22:14:29 »
Didn't one of the Smoke Jaguar vessels salvaged during Bulldog go missing just before or during the Jihad.

It was either at or on the way to Dieron?

I want to say FireCrest (Congress) but not sure
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2013, 22:20:17 »
Yeah, my working theory has been that the Flatus is the old Congress-class Firecrest, which AFAICT was the only WarShip that "disappeared" during the '50s and '60s that didn't later reappear in the Word of Blake's navy.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2013, 23:58:32 »
How was that WarShip they own built? And were is it maintained? Those sort of things are kinda are to/expensive to do in secret unless you're building an entire fleet

Presumably it wasn't built by them, just maintained by them. And IIRC, it was mentioned that it was in mothballs, so that should cut down on required maintenance. But yes. It sort of staggers belief. Even if they all are superduper technicians.

And why are we assuming that the Fidelis' ship is one of the Smoke Jaguars'? Isn't it more likely that its a ship salvaged or captured during the Jihad?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2013, 06:15:20 »
Their background is so mysterious that they have implants that others can trigger that immediately destroy all traces of DNA so if they fall on the battlefield their genetics can't be traced.  They're extremely pragmatic, seeing the mission as the end all, be all, so they're perfectly willing to do whatever it takes to succeed in their mission, including blowing up full hospitals to drop them on the enemy. They're also extremely antagonistic to other Clanners, committing warcrimes such as chopping the heads off of ejected pilots with machetes.  Due to their elite technical abilities, they have a habit of constantly modifying their gear based on their own fighting style and the needs of the mission.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2013, 16:36:48 »
I'm curious, what did the Fidelis do to the Falcons? I didn't see any mention of atrocities in the Era Report.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2013, 16:46:15 »
Beheadings, massed fire against ejected warriors, etc.  It's in 'Surrender Your Dreams'.

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2013, 21:07:55 »
I'm curious, what did the Fidelis do to the Falcons? I didn't see any mention of atrocities in the Era Report.

ER is told from the RoS perspective so it's not surprising that they did not mention those actions.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #20 on: 26 April 2013, 00:17:26 »
My money is on the Fidelis being the descendants of the Smoke Jaguars captured on Huntress and imprisoned in the Inner Sphere. They get a mention of overthrowing there captors in one of the Jihad books, not sure which.
as for the Fidelis themselves, in a word: Pragmatic.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 26 April 2013, 01:44:19 »
is that why SyD is the only dark age book that is not available as an e-book?

How annoying is this?! I own all of the Dark Age novel apart from Surrender Your Dreams and the Liao based one that revolves around Danai and the McCarron's Armored Cav.
I'm desperate to get them, but neither are avaliable on Kindle.
Eventually I'm going to have to cave and pay a ridiclous price to buy them via Amazon

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
« Reply #22 on: 26 April 2013, 17:01:27 »
My money is on the Fidelis being the descendants of the Smoke Jaguars captured on Huntress and imprisoned in the Inner Sphere. They get a mention of overthrowing there captors in one of the Jihad books, not sure which.
as for the Fidelis themselves, in a word: Pragmatic.

I thought we more or less already knew they were Smoke Jags. At the very least there is a Chaos track from the Jihad book in which the players encounter a bunch of Smoke Jaguar refugees during the invasion of the blake protectorate. That plus Paul Moon...
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 27 April 2013, 21:34:51 »
I hope the Fidelis become a bigger staple in era to come. After reading Surrender Your Dreams, i was really drawn to the them.

I'm not exactly happy that epilogue for the book was dropped or altered.

I hope they get around doing short-stories about the Fidelis on BattleCorp.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 27 April 2013, 21:37:26 »
I hope the Fidelis become a bigger staple in era to come. After reading Surrender Your Dreams, i was really drawn to the them.

I'm not exactly happy that epilogue for the book was dropped or altered.

I hope they get around doing short-stories about the Fidelis on BattleCorp.

It's been dropped? Where did this come from?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #25 on: 27 April 2013, 22:23:44 »
There was mention earlier of the epilogue to SyD no longer being fully canon according to Master Nuk'em All.
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 27 April 2013, 22:53:24 »
Ah, the slippery slope of decanonization.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2013, 23:05:45 »

Think of it this way. For over a decade, Battletech has had the future already written. While we looked at the end of the FedCom Civil War, we knew what was coming. The Jihad, the Republic, the Dark Age, it was already there- we didn't know the details of the Jihad or any of that, but we knew the basics, and we had a whole novel line for the Dark Age. And now, finally, Battletech has caught up. The Dark Age era is being fleshed out this year, and then... blank. For the first time in over a decade, we're moving into the truly unknown, and it's pretty glorious, right?

Oh. Except that this book again gave us things set in stone further down the road. By this, we know that as bad as things are going for the Republic in Bonfire of Worlds and ER:45, they survive. Levin survives. The wall eventually came down. Small things, at a glance, but it again puts Herb and his writers on a rail. These things are on paper. They're going to happen.

So... yeah. If they re-do that ending (and I haven't heard a bit about that before), more power to them. The future for Battletech is finally ours again- let's let them tell the story they want to write rather than have one handed to them again.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 13 May 2013, 02:39:46 »
To add to what JadeHellbringer said above, keep in mind the epilogue wasn't really de-canonized. That's not what Herb said.
What he said is essentially that they reserve the right to throw it out if it is found to be too restricting for the writers down the road. But as of yet there's no canonical info to trump the epilogue. There may be at some point, and then the epilogue would be de-canonized. But so far that hasn't happened, nor do we know that it will it happen for sure.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2013, 06:23:48 »
They're basically a super secret, super-duper elite unit that's known only to the Exarch (until they're unleashed), and even the Exarch doesn't seem to know all the details, unless told by a former Exarch.

Like the Clans, they're trained from an early childhood, but unlike the Clans, they're trained in multiple types of units. They start out as Technicians, then go to Infantry, Armored Infantry Vehicles (called Jaegers, IIRC), then MechWarrior. After that they're allowed to use whatever they want when in combat.

Their largest mentioned unit is a Century, which is 100 warriors (or units, I'm not entirely sure on that from SyD) plus training auxiliaries, which is split into 2 Battlegroups, which are split into 3 Umbras. Each Umbra is supposed to be about equivalent to a mixed company.

Their background is so mysterious that they have implants that others can trigger that immediately destroy all traces of DNA so if they fall on the battlefield their genetics can't be traced. But not so super-secret that their icon doesn't have a Smoke Jaguar on it.

They feel that they owe the Republic their Service for Stone's actions during the Jihad, and that's why they fight for them. They're extremely pragmatic, seeing the mission as the end all, be all, so they're perfectly willing to do whatever it takes to succeed in their mission, including blowing up full hospitals to drop them on the enemy. They're also extremely antagonistic to other Clanners, committing warcrimes such as chopping the heads off of ejected pilots with machetes.

Equipment wise they seem to have whatever they want, including a WarShip. Their production facilities are unknown, but they've basically got an island to themselves on New Earth. Due to their elite technical abilities, they have a habit of constantly modifying their gear based on their own fighting style and the needs of the mission.
It almost sounds like they're a super secret Knights Templar or similar order.

Using New Earth as a baseworld offers a lot of advantages as well:
1. Multiple factories on the world. These were destroyed by the Jihad, but there's probably enough there to put together a production line or two. (J:FR, p. 107)
2. SLDF located Fort Noruff (a staff college) on the world. Possibly this could be used as a headquarters or training facility. (FM:SLDF, p. 22)
3. SLDF had Combat College of New Earth on world. Possible training facility. (FM:SLDF, p. 22)
3. SLDF's Regular Army Command located near Combat College of New Earth. Self-explanatory.  (FM:SLDF, p. 22)
4. SLDF's X Corps HQ located on world. (FM:SLDF, p. 40)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)