Author Topic: "Triumph of the Unseen" - WIP conversion of the classic Incubus/Vixen.  (Read 6074 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
So first off, a touch of a story. My first encounter with the Reseen was when, in 2003, one of my first eBay purchases was an auction titled "Battletech Marauder." Not knowing about the, ah, 'new' sculpt, I purchased it with eagerness and was... disappointed to see what came in the mail. After some research, I found out what had happened and swore off Battletech for some years - but I squirreled the mini away in my bits box and always knew I'd do something with it.

After finally getting a classic, Unseen Vixen (first Clan 'Mech I ever piloted!) in the mail last week, that time was now.

I decided to cut it up and put it on the Vixen's base - at first, I thought, "It'll be too big!" but that was not the case. I toyed with using the legs as debris, but it was always (always!) that hideous flat torso, so different from the original Marauder's sleek bullet shape, which drove me to anger, so I really wanted to use that and nothing else.

I also tried for a pose that said, "Come at me brah" and feel that I succeeded.

I just now realized that it's a bit difficult to see how I reposed the right leg so it's standing on the hideous abomina- er, Marauder's torso, and since taking this picture I've added a puff of smoke from the rent on the center of the base - and started painting it along with the three other Clan 'Mechs I received in the mail. Man, I have done SO MUCH work with the jeweler's saw this last week... it's been a long time since I've had to convert metal minis like these guys, but I simply cannot stand the boring stances that so many older sculpts have.

Now, I just have one quandary... what colors should I paint the Marauder IN? I wonder if there was any unit which served as a poster child for the PP Marauder...

And I want to make it clear: I don't HATE the Project Phoenix 'Mechs, for the most part. Most of them have good style, and all but a couple manage to harken back to their original designs in some way or another (What's the deal with the Shadowhawk turning into Slenderman is another issue entirely). A couple are even improvements - the Goliath and Scorpion don't look so ridiculous to my eyes. I even like the Reseen Marauder II.

But I despise with a passion the redone Marauder, and I think that passion is only strengthened by the way I first discovered the 'new and improved' version, cough cough.

So, yes. Tomorrow I should have the mini painted aside from the MAD on the base and the base itself, and I'll try to take more pictures of it while the light is good.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
Sadly you are right,the Marauder reseen is really ugly.I tried to assembling mine since 10 years ago but is still stocked somewhere and never had the courage to even try to decide a paint scheme.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Some of the reseen are pretty spectactular (Rifleman, Warhammer IIC). Others... not so much. The Marauder was a dud, for sure (then again, I never liked the old version either). I do recommend the Marauder IIC though if you still want to try a Marauder sculpt- much more familiar looking. Be aware though, it's one of the trickiest in the line to build (I hated building mine!)

I like what you did here, very impressive!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

TheMaster1955

• Captain
nice O0
Life: Some assembly required!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Nice.  O0 That repose job is superb.
(Personally I like both the Unseen and the Reseen versions of the Marauder. The Reseen has a very predatory feel to it. Though putting the darn thing together is pain.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
Excellent work, I can't wait to see it painted! I like the new marauder, but we've all got our opinions on everything. :o O0 O0
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
down with the derp designs! (even though it could be considered my visually guilty pleasure designs)
*apologies to reseen fans everywhere*
(Don't worry I'm not demanding a return of the... you know whats)
« Last Edit: 17 June 2013, 12:38:17 by SapphireWolf »

Heregar

• Master Sergeant
  • Fate is inexorable
I like most of the reseen, and love others. But the only ones I loathe are the Phoenix hawk and shadow hawk I mean what is up with the heads??

Signature bar by HikageMaru

Saatch

• Lieutenant
Definitely agree with JH on the Marauder IIc. I use it as an IS Marauder because I greatly prefer the sculpt even to the unseen one (I'm not a huge fan of that one or the original Warhammer). It was a pain to put together, though.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
I like the Incubus/Vixen but I really don't see why it would be considered unseen?  Unless they did it because of the Behemoth/Stone Rhino as well?

Regarding the reseen Marauder IIC I own several of these and have to agree with Saatch on it. I too have taken it more of a liking over the unseen version. Also its fun to customize too :D

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
I like the Incubus/Vixen but I really don't see why it would be considered unseen?  Unless they did it because of the Behemoth/Stone Rhino as well?
it, along with the Stone Rhino, P-hawk IIc, and a couple of others used art that had been done by another company under contract from FASA. unfortunately those contracts didn't specify who actually owned the art, and when FASA closed its doors Fanpro/catalyst decided it was safer to make them part of the unseen and create new in house artwork as part of the Project Phoenix effort than to try and unravel the legal limbo the originals were in.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Nice job. The new Marauder never really did it for me, just too big honestly and you did what comes naturally for it. You made it debris.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

avon1985

• Major
Very cool! O0

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
Im actually accepting of all the reseen, i try not to let my love of thr unseen overshadow the new look.  In some cases like the rifleman and battlemaster i even prefer the reseen.

If i had a complaint with them its how thin they are, stuff like the griffen being a stick man.   If they were a tad bulkier i think it would resemble the unseen better.   And i mean, while i love my wasps/stingers/hawks/crusaders, ive yet to hear a valid explaination to why star league engineers felt the need to use a 90's era jet nose as the torso of their battlemech designs lol
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

dayanx

• Master Sergeant
    • sarna.net news  blog
Although I lo e the original version of the Vixen, the new version does fit the BattleTech notion of head cockpits better. Ive never seen it or the Stone Rhino anywhere else.

A thought about the canon of the reseen/unseen. Ponder this from the viewpoint of an automobile enthusiast.  The unseen are all old mechs with low production rates until about the time you get the reseen. I tell it as a production year revamping. The way the Ford Mustang of the 1960s looks very different from that of the 1970s- tet they have very similar performance.

Why should 'mechs be any different. Theyre still made by companies in growing competition thanks to all the rebuilding. Marketing compells slight changes to try to drive up scales. Some are real flops, others become more successful. Thats the was I retcon the unseen/reseen.

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
Nice. :) Want to see it painted! XD

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

iamfanboy

• Captain
So here's some 'almost done' pictures - they're a bit off the cuff, and I haven't added the fire lighting effect and other touchups yet. I'll make better pics once the sun rises tomorrow, and get images of the other six Ghost Bear 'mechs I've almost finished as well. I included a 'preview' picture of all seven together.

(yes, I did cut out the gap in its feet.)

I mostly just wanted a chance to reply, and didn't want to post NOTHING when I responded!

While that does make an interesting 'in universe' explanation for the redesign, dayanx, it doesn't change the fact that the resculpts themselves are a mixed bag aesthetically. While some are just as good as the original designs (the PXH, the TDR, and the BLR is growing on me more and more), and others are better (as I said, the Goliath outright grabs me as a threatening-looking design), there are far too many of them which are outright ugly - and the ugliness comes, I think, from a desire to get REALLY FAR AWAY from the aesthetics of the original design.

Put the Reseen and Unseen Thunderbolts, Warhammers, or Goshawks next to each other and you can see the resemblance, and the natural-seeming evolution of one possibly becoming the other. Crusaders? Shadowhawks? Griffins? Vixens? Behemoths? Not the case.

If the new Marauder had been named something else and used for another design, I'd probably not have a huge issue with it. I'd still think it's ugly, but I just wouldn't use it. As a successor to the 'Mech which gave stats to the Gluag Officer's Pod, one of the most threatening mecha designs of the '80s? Uh, no.

(you might be able to tell, but I'm kind of a mini fanboy!)

If I get to highlighting and lighting effects later, the pictures will be taken tomorrow, but I'm feeling a bit tired and it's quite late. I kinda wanna kick back with some Fire Emblem.

dayanx

• Master Sergeant
    • sarna.net news  blog
Good old Fire Emblem. Yeah I see what you mean. I dont care for the reseen crusader's missile arms arrangement, but by far my biggest beef is the Panther in that its not even unseen! Thank to Wizkids' one of my favorite mechs now looks like a Minecraft version of Hello Kitty. /rant

Shijima_3085

• Warrant Officer
I love the Vixen.  Just did up a stack of old 3055 designs, including one of those plus a Jenner IIc.  My first TRO, still my favorite for art.  And yes, I still prefer the "old" Marauder IIc to the new one.  The latter resulted in me gluing fingers together more than once...