Author Topic: What Mech would you have liked WK to have made??  (Read 58590 times)

Free lance

• Private
Re: What Mech would you have liked WK to have made??
« Reply #30 on: 07 February 2011, 20:04:44 »
the Hauptmann. I'd really like some Hauptmann/Highlander combos, and have always had a soft spot for the Scylla.

Jinggau as well-but just because I want one. Or two. Or a demi-lance.

While I admit to having to look both of these up........ [drool]
Dirty work is the best kind!
Sure I'll take your side, for the right price.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 07 February 2011, 21:35:11 »
Well, the Jinggau was never done, but if you look at the stats for the Scourge you might feel a little bit of nostalgia...
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Iron Wolf

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 08 February 2011, 16:28:53 »
If you could have 1 or 2 Mechs in the MW game, what would they have been?

Hmm, a proper Vulture and/or Stormcrow.

Gunbuster

• Private
  • The paws of the cat
« Reply #33 on: 09 February 2011, 04:25:40 »
A smaller dropship as an alternative to the Aurora, which is way too big and only carries four mechs anyway.
The soft, cuddly clan with sharp kitten claws

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #34 on: 09 February 2011, 04:57:43 »
The UrbanMech....

And then, I would have always used my Kelly Bonilla in it!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #35 on: 09 February 2011, 22:11:07 »
A smaller dropship as an alternative to the Aurora, which is way too big and only carries four mechs anyway.

Well, it does have a crew to support for weeks on end in transit. Keep that in mind. The Aurora-class is already pretty small for a DropShip.

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #36 on: 10 February 2011, 11:07:04 »
I was lucky enough to get hold of an Aurora and it's quite awesome size wise. Physically, you can get four Classic Battltech mech models in each bay.

The Aurora stats, on page 104 of the 3075 TRO, say that the Aurora is 116 metres long, which scales out at 382 feet. This is 382 mm millimetres in 1/300th scale, and approximately 694mm in MechWarrior scale. Whereas the model is 500mm long, depending on how you measure it, even so it doesn't really match either.

From a play point of view it is rather large and a smaller model would take less room on the table top.
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 10 February 2011, 15:37:16 »
I was lucky enough to get hold of an Aurora and it's quite awesome size wise. Physically, you can get four Classic Battltech mech models in each bay.

[...]

From a play point of view it is rather large and a smaller model would take less room on the table top.

I had one too, and I even had it on the battlefield a couple of times. How many BT models you can fit in it is irrelevant since it was made for MWDA (although I highly doubt you can fit all four BT models in one bay with enough space for maintenance crews/vehicles to zip around between them).

It's a DropShip. It's supposed to be large on the battlefield. Obviously it would not work with a game of BT because BT 'Mechs are not scaled to the maps.

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #38 on: 10 February 2011, 17:39:23 »
Yes but, I can get two Clix mechs in the bay, though the bases overlap by a few millimeters.

And to repeat the important bit of the post that you snipped...

The Aurora stats, on page 104 of the 3075 TRO, say that the Aurora is 116 metres long, which scales out at 382 feet.

This would be 694mm (700mm give or take) in MechWarrior scale, but the model is only 500mm long. That is eight inches of difference, which is substantial by anyone's measure of things.

So the Aurora is not big enough for MW and is too big for BT.

Basically the Aurora is not scaled to the MW mechs.

If it were the correct scale length for MW, you would not only get two mechs per bay, but probably three in a pinch.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2011, 17:41:46 by Paint it Pink »

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 10 February 2011, 18:57:24 »
Yes but, I can get two Clix mechs in the bay, though the bases overlap by a few millimeters.

And to repeat the important bit of the post that you snipped...

The Aurora stats, on page 104 of the 3075 TRO, say that the Aurora is 116 metres long, which scales out at 382 feet.

This would be 694mm (700mm give or take) in MechWarrior scale, but the model is only 500mm long. That is eight inches of difference, which is substantial by anyone's measure of things.

So the Aurora is not big enough for MW and is too big for BT.

Basically the Aurora is not scaled to the MW mechs.

If it were the correct scale length for MW, you would not only get two mechs per bay, but probably three in a pinch.

The Aurora model predates TRO75 so the technical specifications are retroactive. If you go by TRO75, then yes, the dimensions are probably off (I think your math is, too, though the end result is similar enough: 116 m converted to N scale (1/160) = 116/160 m = 0.725 m (or 725 mm)).

To repeat the important part you neglected to address:
enough space for maintenance crews/vehicles to zip around between them

The model does not have any kind of support gantries or anything in those 'Mech bays. It's abstracted, so it appears to have more room than it actually would.

Free lance

• Private
« Reply #40 on: 10 February 2011, 20:01:54 »
Who cares if it scales right or if you can get 3 BT mini's in it or not. it was a kick tail addition to the game and a great show piece. Sure they could have changed this or changed that and added this or added that but as is it was pretty sweet. I would love to have one.
Dirty work is the best kind!
Sure I'll take your side, for the right price.

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #41 on: 11 February 2011, 16:30:54 »
The Aurora model predates TRO75 so the technical specifications are retroactive. If you go by TRO75, then yes, the dimensions are probably off (I think your math is, too, though the end result is similar enough: 116 m converted to N scale (1/160) = 116/160 m = 0.725 m (or 725 mm)).

MechWarrior is allegedly N scale, but N scale varies according to the country, because it is primarily a railway scale.

I measured the men and they are approximately 10mm tall. Using this, I assumed "N" to equal wargame scale of 10/12mm should be used. I only wanted a ball park figure at what the minimum length should be. You are right that the maximum length would be 725mm.

Also, looking at the two illustrarions of the Aurora, my impression is that the bays are more squashed and that the proportions of the whole ship are different; shorter and wider, rather than the long and thin look of the MW model.

The model does not have any kind of support gantries or anything in those 'Mech bays. It's abstracted, so it appears to have more room than it actually would.

However, as you say the stats are retro-active, and it is a pity that when the stats were done that the person doing them didn't check out the model's size before plucking some random numbers out of the air.

While I could buy the answer you give for a dollar, and it kind of fits with the Battletech aesthetic and the established "spaceship are bigger than their mass suggests", I'm kind of thinking umh, I'm not sure it makes sense. I'm not going to go any further down this road as I can hear the plaintiff cries of catgirls mewling in pain as their brains explode.

@ Freelance:

Sure the Aurora is an impressive model, but for something so big I would like it to have had stats that allowed it to carry more mechs, or conversely make it as small as it can be and still get four models inside for playing games with. YMMV.

InSilence

• Corporal
  • Official PBI punter.
« Reply #42 on: 13 February 2011, 13:41:23 »
We always have to bear in mind that MechWarrior did take some license with scale.

After all, using CBT's scale of one hex = 30 meters, (Which I believe is accurate..?) my Marat Deleportas Sphinx should have an energy range of three meters, and a movement range of two, resulting in an effective range of somewhere around 180 inches as opposed to twelve.
Equally, Rusty Cooper would have a range of thirty maps, at 16x17 for a map, thirty meters per hex, giving a result of very roughly 93 to 100 meters. Scaling the drift similarly would be horrific.

So, rather than using Nscale for everything, they modify totals for the sake of gameplay. The same goes for minis, and the Aurora as well. They made a decision to limit the drop bays to only fit two mechs, and that means the "true' scale goes out the window.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 13 February 2011, 15:06:07 »
So, rather than using Nscale for everything, they modify totals for the sake of gameplay. The same goes for minis, and the Aurora as well. They made a decision to limit the drop bays to only fit two mechs, and that means the "true' scale goes out the window.

Except the drop bays are only supposed to handle one 'Mech each. The Aurora-class DropShip only supports four 'Mechs by default.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 13 February 2011, 19:57:20 »
Remember: If we assume that the scale in MW:DA is correct, then..A cougar is as big as a King Crab,
and a Wasp is bigger then a Phoenix Hawk.

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #45 on: 13 February 2011, 21:01:20 »
Remember: If we assume that the scale in MW:DA is correct, then..A cougar is as big as a King Crab,

Size does not always equal mass.  A ton of rocks and a ton of feathers may weigh the same, but, I'll let you decide what takes up more space.

Remember, for the sake of game play, in CBT, all mechs have the same number of hit locations and critical slots.  Some just use more than others.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #46 on: 13 February 2011, 21:23:21 »
And a Medium class P-Hawk is the same size as the light class Phoenix Hawk I.  WKG knew scale was off.  They even said that some figures were made in a smaller scale (Kelswa) becuase they didn't want it to big (para-pharsing here).  It was a problem from the beginning and they knew it.  They tried to bring the scale differances into check.

And the topic scale of figure vs the game board.  Do you have the room to play N-scale games where the LRM and Gauss Rifle range is the size of a living room?  ("My bedroom Long Toms are placing POGs in the kitchen.")  Maybe that's what CBT and MW have in common.  Scale of the board isn't the same as the scale of the figures playing the game.

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #47 on: 13 February 2011, 22:33:24 »
Getting back on topic:

Mechs: Sagittaire, Archangel, Banshee, Gallowglas, Thanatos just to name a few...

"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #48 on: 13 February 2011, 23:33:44 »
The only mech I ever wanted to see was the Devastator.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 14 February 2011, 04:22:42 »
The only mech I ever wanted to see was the Devastator.

Good call.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 21 February 2011, 16:32:11 »
Awesome
Clint
Legacy
Victor

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 21 February 2011, 21:17:48 »
I'm not gonna say "Urbanmech"  nyah

But there are lots of really fun machines that I would have liked to see. 

Trebuchet
Stalker
Scorpion
Ostscout
Blackjack

One thing I missed from the old CBT days that MWAD could not give us was the concept of the Fire Support lance.  You know that feeling when a lance of Archers stood behind a hill and let a hundred plus LRMs rain on your parade.  At Long Range.

GC

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #52 on: 21 February 2011, 21:28:30 »
I would like a Nightstar as well.  But a Gallowglas would have made me happy.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 04 March 2011, 03:03:26 »
The rounded version of the Marauder! with all of it's roof top cannon glory!!!

that and another Drop ship... either Bigger( to fit more per Bay) or smaller to only fit 2??? mechs total
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 06 March 2011, 04:26:18 »
The rounded version of the Marauder! with all of it's roof top cannon glory!!!

that and another Drop ship... either Bigger( to fit more per Bay) or smaller to only fit 2??? mechs total

You know...I would have liked a Union....

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 06 March 2011, 04:32:33 »
If you thought the Aurora was unplayably-large...

EdgeCrusher

• Private
« Reply #56 on: 06 March 2011, 04:41:00 »
I'm kinda surprised no one asked for a decent looking black knight

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 06 March 2011, 09:03:22 »
I'm kinda surprised no one asked for a decent looking black knight

..... on a white horse

GC

dethtungue

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 06 March 2011, 13:08:33 »
..... on a white horse

GC

With no arms shouting "It's just a flesh wound! ... chicken!  CHICKENNN!"

ChrisSymons1981

• Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: 07 March 2011, 00:29:04 »
..... on a white horse

GC

I was half expecting to see Horatio Caine from CSI Miami there for a sec.
You Say Fiery Crash? I Say Dynamic Entry.

Register