Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 217059 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #990 on: 22 August 2018, 16:21:37 »
 I am assuming that Danai's actual lineage is better known among the BattleTech powers that be than is let on.

I am still wondering what role the second original recording of the disaster at KwaMashu will play in the Duchy's future. I think most in the region will assume it was the Confederation who performed the set up, just as the Free Worlds League did.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #991 on: 22 August 2018, 16:51:17 »
I am assuming that Danai's actual lineage is better known among the BattleTech powers that be than is let on.

Surprisingly, given that the Inner Sphere powers that gathered on Terra for VSD’s funeral noticed the closeness of Daoshen and Ilsa, it isn’t. Sword of Sedition makes it clear that they view Danai as the Chancellor’s baby sister, not his progeny.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #992 on: 24 August 2018, 21:39:21 »
  You can divide the powers that be within the states into the heads of states with their direct appointees (Also legislatures, and related groups), then key members of the bureaucracy who determine what information reaches where, and finally the various levels of nobles within a state, and their related appointees.
  The middle group can have surprising power within the state, because they interpret, and then prioritize the dissemination of information. I remember reading about a bakufu official who was the shogunate's only connection with the outside world news. Anti-foreigner groups specifically targeted him for death, and right outside the palace, because it would prove the leadership's powerlessness, during the bakumatsu.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2018, 21:46:49 by Minemech »

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #993 on: 24 August 2018, 21:45:54 »
 Minor powers can also play a role, as can diplomats in tempering a state's actions. The general populace is an obvious example of another group that can have enormous influence.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #994 on: 24 August 2018, 21:48:26 »
 This also emphasizes how consequential the little spat between Hanse and Comstar actually was.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #995 on: 26 August 2018, 15:37:33 »
I believe she grew up on Canopus raised by Erde Centrella and is publically known to be the third child of Sun Tzu Liao and Naomi Centrella.

She didnt even know until Daoshen and Ilsa broke the news to her when she was an adult.
Wait, her Dad/"brother"  and Mother"sister" 8) ::)  I missed it where did that get released. 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #996 on: 26 August 2018, 19:46:10 »
Way back in the novels. Principles of Desolation reveals the parentage of Danai originally. Its confirmed in Era Report 3145.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #997 on: 26 August 2018, 20:32:34 »
Way back in the novels. Principles of Desolation reveals the parentage of Danai originally. Its confirmed in Era Report 3145.

From whose perspective is that work written from?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #998 on: 27 August 2018, 00:21:30 »
Well, Principles of Desolation has it told from Danai's perspective as Daoshen tells her via a message. Then from Danai's perspective as Erde tells her, then Danai's perspective when she talks to Ilsa about ti.

The confirmation in the Era Report is in the OOC section of the book where it talks about the various RPG stats of Notable Personalities, so no IC perspective.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #999 on: 27 August 2018, 12:18:46 »
I thought that was a "rumor" like that Sun Tzu was Hanse's kid
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1000 on: 27 August 2018, 13:15:19 »
It is!

Just maybe not how you think....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1001 on: 27 August 2018, 14:06:15 »
I mean, I suppose it could be Daoshen and Ilsa playing some sort of mind screw on Danai..and Erde, but I have no clue why they'd do it.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1002 on: 27 August 2018, 17:43:53 »
I mean, I suppose it could be Daoshen and Ilsa playing some sort of mind screw on Danai..and Erde, but I have no clue why they'd do it.

They wouldn’t, honestly. The only reason they’d do it is to ensure a line of succession, and there are far easier ways to do that. Plus it would obviously be damaging to both of them if Danai’s parentage became known, otherwise they wouldn’t have hidden it to begin with.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

mmmpi

• Corporal
« Reply #1003 on: 05 December 2018, 08:49:35 »
Hello, I've been collecting mechs for awhile, and I want to build a force for my favorite periphery faction.  The idea initially was to build a company, though I ended up with more that seemed thematically appropriate.  For the most part I've been sticking to primarily general IS, FWL and Capellan mechs, not withstanding the FWL mechs being used as an OpFor for both this and my Lyrans.
From what I understand, more mobile mechs are prefered, though I'm currently short on shadow hawks and bug mechs.
Starting with the succession wars era.
Right now I have:
Blackjack, Hunchback, Raven, Clint x2, Flea, Dervish, Quickdraw, Wolverine, Grasshopper, Enforcer, Blackjack, Cataphract,
Catapult x2, Vindicator x2

I do have others that I can list if requested.

I'm looking at add Merlins because I think they're both cool and approriate for a periphery nation, and shadow hawks.

My big question however comes from my attempt to make my force playable for multiple eras.  I'm looking at adding about four mechs per era/TRO, and am having trouble picking out mechs that are both thematic and cool, and am looking for advice and opinions on what to add.

I'm also picking up the two new starter boxes, and a friend is giving me his Robotech RTT KS stuff so I'll have that to add as well.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1004 on: 05 December 2018, 11:02:10 »
For early 3025/3039 stuff. Stalkers are listed as having a place in every Successor State and Periphery nation."

The MoC also has a basic Banshee variant, so that can work and add some oomph.

And during the Star League Era, and then later on they produce the Marauder, so that can be added in to a couple of eras if you want. Likewise the bug trio (Locust, Wasp, Stinger) can serve many eras.

Later on things like the Bandersnatch and Thunder show up as well.

Have you played around with the MUL at all?

mmmpi

• Corporal
« Reply #1005 on: 05 December 2018, 18:07:00 »
I'll definitely look into marauders.

My main reasoning behind asking about mechs from 'newer' eras is more about new mechs, not updated variants.  I'm not sure what direction to go with them.

As for the MUL, I have played around with it, but from what I understand it says what a faction uses, but not rarities.  I'm trying to keep it somewhat to the fluff, so knowing that awesomes are super rare for them, I'd take fewer.  That kind of thing.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1006 on: 05 December 2018, 18:15:26 »
The most frequent mechs must be the ones that they can produce locally: the 3 bugs, phoenix hawk, shadow hawk and marauder for 3025, and add whatever Magistracy Metals and the other companies are producing later on in Detroit and other new production locations. That, plus Capellan and Andurien mechs acquired through friendly relations or through salvage.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1007 on: 05 December 2018, 18:16:46 »
In later eras the Houses of Centralla and Liao are ever more closely allied... making "Canopus mechs" basically the same thing as "Capellan mechs".

A mech from the later eras that's more distinctly Canopian rather than Capellan is the Penthesilea.

mmmpi

• Corporal
« Reply #1008 on: 05 December 2018, 20:22:32 »
Ok, that helps.

Thanks guys.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1009 on: 06 December 2018, 00:10:18 »
The Anubis is heavily used by the Magistracy. In 3085 they produce the Ebony and the Penthesilea. 3075 gives the Eyleuka and the Koschei as well. The Starslayer is another good one.

TR3145 is basically "Whatever the Capellans get, the Magistracy gets as well." Some notables out of that is the Calliope, which is produced in the Magistracy, as is the Agrotera.

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #1010 on: 20 December 2019, 21:40:20 »
I have always been struck by the fact that, in spite of the Magistracy having the best medical community, they don't actually produce ANY of the canon medical equipment. One would think they would be all over that.

And anyone who has noticed me posting in other areas will be tired of this dead horse- but I feel the MoC should be making the Florence AmbulanceMech and my design Aceso Class Hospital Dropship (Using a Princess Class hull) at the very least.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #1011 on: 20 December 2019, 23:03:33 »
I have always been struck by the fact that, in spite of the Magistracy having the best medical community, they don't actually produce ANY of the canon medical equipment. One would think they would be all over that.

And anyone who has noticed me posting in other areas will be tired of this dead horse- but I feel the MoC should be making the Florence AmbulanceMech and my design Aceso Class Hospital Dropship (Using a Princess Class hull) at the very least.

I would imagine that they do produce medical equipment but it isn't mentioned since the game is mostly about combat not it's aftermath. The fluff for the MASH Unit in TRO:3039 says
MASH units can be found in every army’s support structure on every world,
so I have no reason to believe that the Magistracy doesn't have them. There are also dropships that have been converted to hospital ships. I would imagine that the Magistracy might have some as well.

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #1012 on: 20 December 2019, 23:22:54 »
Oh, I don't disagree that they SHOULD have them and probably DO.  What I'm saying is that every time some new piece of Tech rolls out in a TRO, it invariably comes from one of the 5 Major Houses or Comstar. How hard would it be to throw the MoC a bone on Medical Equipment?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #1013 on: 20 December 2019, 23:33:59 »
Its a Magistracy-based company that makes the Combat Medipack.

As for the rest, production details are limited, especially on industrial and non-combat units, so its possible that they're making other things.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #1014 on: 21 December 2019, 00:15:28 »
Oh, I don't disagree that they SHOULD have them and probably DO.  What I'm saying is that every time some new piece of Tech rolls out in a TRO, it invariably comes from one of the 5 Major Houses or Comstar. How hard would it be to throw the MoC a bone on Medical Equipment?

That would be nice. We do have a MoC medial infantry.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1015 on: 10 April 2021, 15:49:52 »
I am casting a necromancy spell and resurrecting this thread.
They're still getting the make-up of the Canopian Lancers wrong.  It is supposed to be fast medium and heavy mechs.  "Paid in Blood" described them as mostly lighter machines.  What amazed me was that the Capellans used a unit made of lighter mechs to lay a siege.  It was no surprise that it was ground up as a result.  The question is what effect will the news that the Capellans wrecked a Canopian regiment, but not their own, have on Canopian public opinion.  I imagine there will be a great deal of domestic anger over Canopian lives being used as cannon fodder.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1016 on: 10 April 2021, 16:30:48 »
I am casting a necromancy spell and resurrecting this thread.
They're still getting the make-up of the Canopian Lancers wrong.  It is supposed to be fast medium and heavy mechs.  "Paid in Blood" described them as mostly lighter machines.  What amazed me was that the Capellans used a unit made of lighter mechs to lay a siege.  It was no surprise that it was ground up as a result.  The question is what effect will the news that the Capellans wrecked a Canopian regiment, but not their own, have on Canopian public opinion.  I imagine there will be a great deal of domestic anger over Canopian lives being used as cannon fodder.

There are a lot of people going to have to answer for their addiction to stupid pills after that book.
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1017 on: 10 April 2021, 16:39:07 »
"stupid pills" seems to be a concept associated with too many things in the last part of the Dark Age, isnt?
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1018 on: 10 April 2021, 16:39:52 »
"stupid pills" seems to be a concept associated with too many things in the last part of the Dark Age, isnt?

Sadly. But, what can you do...
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1019 on: 10 April 2021, 16:43:49 »
In reply to JimDiGris and FaithBomb (rather, her penultimate post... obviously, I'm typing WAY too slow today):

Indeed... who would ever expect lighter 'mechs to be used in a "siege" role?  ???

I mean, that could work against purely conventional units (armor and infantry), but when 'mechs are in play on both sides??  ???