Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147329 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #1410 on: 28 December 2017, 19:52:02 »
Man. What is wrong with the Doctor having a nice quiet regeneration?  I guess today's audiences need to have a huge Bay-esque ending to start over?  I really liked Capaldi as well, and I wish Jodie well in the new role, but the year hiatus they did for Capaldi pretty much killed my watching interest.  I still love the series and will peek in on the wiki and this thread for example, but that's it for me.

I'm assuming it's just to give them an excuse to redecorate the TARDIS (though why they feel they need any excuse beyond the Doctor just saying "I want a change" is beyond me).

What's really silly to me is how they've taken the very specific occurrence of the Eccleston/Tennant regeneration and retroactively applied it to all of the regenerations...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1411 on: 28 December 2017, 21:10:03 »
99.9% sure it was just a copy.
Otherwise what was the point of that line about a person just being a bunch of memories?

It's also a reflection of the Doctor...new face and new body with new mannerisms, but as the memories are the same, it is still person within...a man that may doubt himself from time to time, but in the end always come through for what's right and kind...

It was also about how the Doctor wasn't quite himself ever since he lost most of his memories of Clara, and how he regained much of that when the Testimony gave them back to him...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1412 on: 29 December 2017, 00:07:09 »
Except they only changed the TARDIS once after regeneration,  between Tennent and Smith.  After Eccleston it remajned the aame, as well as between Smith and Capaldi.  However, it did change half way through Smith's run.  So it does seem more on writer whi, rather than new Doctor=new TARDIS.

I wouldnlike to see the Doctor stranded again though.  Even for one season.  That would be fun again
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1413 on: 29 December 2017, 07:42:35 »
99.9% sure it was just a copy.
Otherwise what was the point of that line about a person just being a bunch of memories?
Only reason why i was asking, is she REMEMBERED becoming oil creature. The New Earthers had said they grabbed people at point of death.  Thus if she had infacted "died" for their purposes as when she was transformed into a oil creature, she wouldn't have remember anything AFTER that.  It could been it was slip of the tongue on writers thinking what parts Billie would have remembered.

As side noted, i would have been entertained to have Billie there for Doctor's transformation to see what she though the Doctor after the fact.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1414 on: 29 December 2017, 13:59:02 »
My pet theory:

When she turned into the oil creature, it probably changed her enough to where, if scanned, she would register a copy.  The process probably rewrote her DNA a bit.  Sadly, I'm not sure how to flesh it out more.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1415 on: 29 December 2017, 14:10:10 »
My pet theory:

When she turned into the oil creature, it probably changed her enough to where, if scanned, she would register a copy.  The process probably rewrote her DNA a bit.  Sadly, I'm not sure how to flesh it out more.
Weird thing is i not sure how that could have worked. The New Earthers (sorry i can remember what their called), are Time Lords of their own right. They're method was to go to the point of death, freeze time.  Grab the person they wanted (while alive) scan and erase their memory of the encounter and put them back in moment they left.

That's not just scan, their them hauling these living people who are verge of death (not actuallying dying per say) putting them into some kind of scanning chamber and then depositing them back at place.  I could by the scanning part if it was remotely, but it wasn't. They even goofed and put the British officer in wrong location where the Doctor's where having their meeting of the ages.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2018, 07:48:20 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1416 on: 29 December 2017, 15:01:06 »
They we're called Testimony. And Bill was a copy, Testimony was using her to keep an eye on the Doctors. Clara and Nardole were both copies as well.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1417 on: 29 December 2017, 15:39:57 »
Considering how much of the plot was hammering the viewer over the head of what makes a person them and that these were just copies of the original I am surprised so many people are having difficulty understanding that Bill was a copy.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1418 on: 29 December 2017, 17:05:32 »
Considering how much of the plot was hammering the viewer over the head of what makes a person them and that these were just copies of the original I am surprised so many people are having difficulty understanding that Bill was a copy.

Put it down to the last 4 companions "dying", then getting a deus ex machina escape from death. Makes it kind of hard to tell if someone is really dead or not...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1419 on: 29 December 2017, 17:49:49 »
It was still pretty clear and a pretty central element to the plot that I have trouble understanding how it is confusing what Bill was.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1420 on: 29 December 2017, 21:21:48 »
Funny thing is, with time travel.  Your never completely dead, but your not quiet alive either.  Since you can go those moments when they're still around.

Nardole could had good number years before the Cybermen overcame his position in the colony ship.

Given he was alien to begin with, i forgot that it wasn't just humans the Testimony was collecting records of their lives.   Makes me wonder if they had recorded those people that Cybermen & Missy had gathered to become an army before the Doctor and Cyberman who still had free will like the Brigade manged to stop them.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1421 on: 30 December 2017, 14:52:36 »
I'm going to miss 12. :(

Though I do think 13 will be good. :)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1422 on: 30 December 2017, 18:50:30 »
Here i thought you were going to be the next companion, Marek!  :))

So you won't miss a thing!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1423 on: 31 December 2017, 03:13:54 »
Me travel with the Doctor?  I'd probably get shot by a Dalek, or vaporized by the Master, or heaven forbid, get drunk and mistake the Eye of Harmony for a toilet. :D

(Actually, I can see being finished off by the Judoon for sneezing.)
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1424 on: 31 December 2017, 03:28:54 »
Me travel with the Doctor?  I'd probably get shot by a Dalek, or vaporized by the Master, or heaven forbid, get drunk and mistake the Eye of Harmony for a toilet. :D

(Actually, I can see being finished off by the Judoon for sneezing.)

Or face Peri's fate: married off to Brian Blessed... XD

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1425 on: 31 December 2017, 04:11:33 »
Or face Peri's fate: married off to Brian Blessed... XD

:o
Five rounds, rapid!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1426 on: 31 December 2017, 15:50:27 »
You know, after cleaning my desk off, I got hit by a thought.  Well, actually, it was one of my TNC's that bomped me on the head :D(that's gonna leave a bruise #P ), but a thought entered my head(and it will eventually die of loneliness and starvation).  Am I the only one that noticed that 13's departure from the TARDIS almost mirrors the departure of the Salamander?  Could it be a nod to Doctor #2?

(For those wondering, the Salamander was a character from one of the Second's episodes.  Basically, they land on Earth and have to deal with a dictator known as the Salamander, who bears a striking resemblance to the Doctor, or at least the Second incarnation.  The two fought in the end, and the Salamander found himself falling out of the TARDIS, sliding out the front door and right into space.)
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1427 on: 31 December 2017, 17:02:52 »
I wonder if all three of the Doctor's new companions will be travelling in the TARDIS or if some will just occasionally make a trip (sort of how Clara and Danny Pink did it)?

You know, after cleaning my desk off, I got hit by a thought.  Well, actually, it was one of my TNC's that bomped me on the head :D(that's gonna leave a bruise #P ), but a thought entered my head(and it will eventually die of loneliness and starvation).  Am I the only one that noticed that 13's departure from the TARDIS almost mirrors the departure of the Salamander?  Could it be a nod to Doctor #2?

(For those wondering, the Salamander was a character from one of the Second's episodes.  Basically, they land on Earth and have to deal with a dictator known as the Salamander, who bears a striking resemblance to the Doctor, or at least the Second incarnation.  The two fought in the end, and the Salamander found himself falling out of the TARDIS, sliding out the front door and right into space.)

That was a great story by the way. (Could tell Troughton was having a lot of fun with it too.) Hm, maybe? Though Salamander fell out into the Time Vortex (nasty way to go). And 13 seems to be falling back to earth.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1428 on: 31 December 2017, 19:14:02 »
I wonder if all three of the Doctor's new companions will be travelling in the TARDIS or if some will just occasionally make a trip (sort of how Clara and Danny Pink did it)?

That was a great story by the way. (Could tell Troughton was having a lot of fun with it too.) Hm, maybe? Though Salamander fell out into the Time Vortex (nasty way to go). And 13 seems to be falling back to earth.

I enjoyed that one, actually.  I'm ashamed to admit that, outside of 3 Doctors, 5, Doctors, and Two Doctors, I've only seen a couple of Two's adventures(that one, and Tomb of the Cybermen). :(

Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1429 on: 31 December 2017, 19:46:06 »
I enjoyed that one, actually.  I'm ashamed to admit that, outside of 3 Doctors, 5, Doctors, and Two Doctors, I've only seen a couple of Two's adventures(that one, and Tomb of the Cybermen). :(

Oh, then you have to go sit down and watch "The Mind Robber". It's not only one of the best 2nd Doctor stories, but one of the best stories in the show 50+ years.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1430 on: 31 December 2017, 22:41:01 »
Oh, then you have to go sit down and watch "The Mind Robber". It's not only one of the best 2nd Doctor stories, but one of the best stories in the show 50+ years.

I'm going to have to check it out, then. :)

On that note, for some reason, I'm hung up on "The Face of Evil."  In fact, as I think about it, for some reason, Neva's behavior for some reason reminds me of a Comstar acolyte.

(Then again, so do the Tesh. :D )

(In fact, now that I think about it, I really wish they'd revisit...oh, I forget the name of the planet, but you get the idea.  Revisit the Servatem and the Tesh.)
Five rounds, rapid!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1431 on: 01 January 2018, 07:52:44 »

Other than two serials in his last season and "The Two Doctors", I have all of the second's stuff on dvd...at least all that is currently commercially available...he's one of my top favorite Doctors...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1432 on: 01 January 2018, 10:07:16 »
I grew up watching (not being die-hard fan when i was young) mainly Tom Baker's Doctor and then his successor.  I fell off the wagon indirectly when Baker's cousin took over because his character early on was unpleasant to me.  I never even saw the number's 7s shows since PBS by then stop airing it and early ones (Doctor's 1-3) prior to Tom Baker weren't even aired.

I found David Tennent's doctor being well rounded in-comparison to past one. I like some of the adventures, as i did with Matt Smith's.   The Twelfth Doctor i watched steadily (given how reliable on demand is i missed some episodes... :P), but I think David's and Matt's were more lively and fun incomparison to Peter Capaldi's earlier travels.  It maybe because the insanity of putting his mind together after his regeneration.  I liked Peter Capaldi later in his run, he reminded me of Third Doctor, in style and his attitude was good.    I however keep watching the Matt Smith and Tennent runs and found them more entertaining.  As for companions, i thought Clara was one of the better ones, as was our doomed Amy.  I know people don't like Clara for some reasons.  In Romano, who was infact a Timelord in her own right, was nearly up there with being nearly awesome of a companion.  I wad disappointed that Missy never (temporarily) became the Doctor's companion.  I guess it was doomed i guess with Peter leaving.

I hope new Doctor is able bring back the liveliness back.  I just hope it doesn't get too political with the Doctor now a woman. 

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1433 on: 01 January 2018, 13:12:56 »
I grew up watching (not being die-hard fan when i was young) mainly Tom Baker's Doctor and then his successor.  I fell off the wagon indirectly when Baker's cousin took over because his character early on was unpleasant to me.  I never even saw the number's 7s shows since PBS by then stop airing it and early ones (Doctor's 1-3) prior to Tom Baker weren't even aired.

Uh, I hate to correct, but Tom and Colin aren't related.  At least not directly(though if they are, it's way way way back.)
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1434 on: 04 January 2018, 17:07:04 »
A few reviews for the new Warlord Game's "Into the Vortex" game:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/reviewcorner/doctor-who-exterminate-the-miniatures-game-core-set-review/
https://meeplewatching.com/2017/06/21/doctor-who-exterminate/
https://tabletopgamesuk.co.uk/2017/05/01/dr-who-exterminate-first-thoughts/

I haven't played it yet, but have looked over the free rules they released, and I have to agree with the first reviewer, it does seem rather half-baked.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1435 on: 17 February 2018, 00:05:44 »
not sure if any one posted this yet but if you are a bit of a whovian...maryland baltimore this march may be yur month

https://regenerationwho.com/
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1436 on: 20 February 2018, 17:19:44 »
Sneak peek of the new series logo:

https://youtu.be/IhFVT19_IuM

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1437 on: 23 September 2018, 07:02:02 »
WE HAVE AN AIR DATE!!!

Series 11 gets underway Sunday October 7.  Exact air time hasn't been announced yet.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/42147/doctor-who-series-11-news

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1438 on: 23 September 2018, 07:40:32 »
WE HAVE AN AIR DATE!!!

Series 11 gets underway Sunday October 7.  Exact air time hasn't been announced yet.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/42147/doctor-who-series-11-news

cheers,

Gabe

That was actually announced about two weeks ago now...just about 2 weeks to go now...

And I'm not crazy about the move to Sunday's...

Ruger

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1439 on: 23 September 2018, 16:04:57 »
That was actually announced about two weeks ago now...just about 2 weeks to go now...

And I'm not crazy about the move to Sunday's...

Ruger

Well it's the day after my birthday, so I can go to the pub on saturday and watch Doctor who on sunday...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Register