Author Topic: WSotW: Nightlord  (Read 22360 times)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Re: WSotW: Nightlord
« Reply #60 on: 31 August 2016, 14:39:37 »
I was talking more about how the EU had for years this saw about how ISDs couldn't operate in atmo, it was impossible, they were too big...and then we had Acclamators and Ventators with landing gear and now the ISDs seem quite happy to float around just a kilometer above the ground or even docking with mooring masts.
And it was why the Imperial Navy kept some Victories around in EU; they could operate within atmosphere unlike the bigger, meaner, and modern ISD.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #61 on: 01 September 2016, 05:19:44 »
Yeah, that scene made me itch with just how Hollywood it was. It breaks every rule of space ship fiction we've seen in almost every universe. Big ships don't work in Atmosphere, you can't do an FTL jump in a gravity well and more.

That's also my biggest beef with Star Trek reboot. Building the Enterprise on the ground!!! Seriously...

Star Trek IV had a Bird of Prey enter warp speed in Earth's atmosphere...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #62 on: 03 September 2016, 11:13:13 »
Star Trek IV had a Bird of Prey enter warp speed in Earth's atmosphere...

Ruger
TOS had Enterprise travel in the atmosphere, at a height where a jet fighter could operate at.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 06 September 2016, 13:09:31 »
TOS had Enterprise travel in the atmosphere, at a height where a jet fighter could operate at.

And it was having issues with doing that. Hull heat and hull stresses.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 20 September 2018, 10:05:36 »
Are there any novel or short stories which feature the nightlord?

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 20 September 2018, 10:18:46 »
The CGB's Nightlord (Ursa Major?) appears very briefly at the end of Path of Glory, as the DCMS renegades make their ill-fated attack on Alshain, going like "haha you thought the Leviathan was out of action and the planet undefended, psych!"

then anything with the Emerald Talon
« Last Edit: 20 September 2018, 10:36:50 by Kidd »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #66 on: 20 September 2018, 10:31:30 »
There exactly four I know of:
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #67 on: 21 September 2018, 18:25:45 »
I liked the nightlord Battleship. It was a good update to a warship for the clan, with all its flaws.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #68 on: 22 September 2018, 09:19:19 »
So, I am not an expert on the naval game by ANY stretch of the imagination.  There are few ships where I remember what was distinct about them, there are several ships where I don't remember what they even look like.  Several ships I can't distinguish weapons load, just because I didn't get into the game for the naval setting.  I do love that Warships exist, and wish I was more into them.

That being said, the Nightlord is one of the ships I REALLY like.  Just BECAUSE it is the USS Eminent Domain.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 09 December 2018, 12:02:02 »
If a post reavings HW clan wanted to build a new galaxy or clan flagship would the nightlord be the first choice?

Can nightlords still be built? I know the ravens made them before...

Could  any of the other heavy hitters like the Texas or McKenna still be built new?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #70 on: 09 December 2018, 17:18:44 »
Depends on the faction. They need to be able to coordinate there resources if they can agree want build some a incredibly expenaive asset. Ghost Bears seem to be only 9ne with the zeal to build one. Though they opt go for built a upgraded Leviathan instead. Which seems to be essentially a upgrade of the Nightlord.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 09 December 2018, 17:45:06 »
Well lets look at the options. Clans build only the Fredasa, York, Conqueror, Nightlord or Leviathan. I'll assume the plans
and at least one slip are available one way or another.

They'll build these ships or upgraded variants of them in the best balance between numbers and cost - Leviathan being what it is, maybe it's out of reach, but there are tradeoffs between building say 2 Nightlords versus 4 Yorks etc

That or sink funds into an all new Clan warship class or two, preferably a Castrum-killer that can liven things up a little. I'm sure we'd all like that.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #72 on: 09 December 2018, 19:06:42 »
Realistically new design would make sense verse something enemies know and having something more functional that meets current day needs of a Warship.  Space superiority and Fire Support.  However, CGL I suspect isn't going make new designs for part of the game which isn't used.

Nightlord would make sense if you had resources to make it.  If you don't have alot stuff, you want make sure the capital size ship you have is tough and can survive.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #73 on: 10 December 2018, 18:02:18 »
Well lets look at the options. Clans build only the Fredasa, York, Conqueror, Nightlord or Leviathan. I'll assume the plans
and at least one slip are available one way or another.

They'll build these ships or upgraded variants of them in the best balance between numbers and cost - Leviathan being what it is, maybe it's out of reach, but there are tradeoffs between building say 2 Nightlords versus 4 Yorks etc

That or sink funds into an all new Clan warship class or two, preferably a Castrum-killer that can liven things up a little. I'm sure we'd all like that.

Conquerors were rebuilds of Kimagures of which a few more were around as of the first two the Ravens refit, which means it might be a question if they could be new builds.  The difference between a York and a Conqueror for construction would be on a order of magnitude.  And unlike the Yorks, there would not be any current yards that made new build in Clan space nor would there be one to examine.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #74 on: 11 December 2018, 06:16:36 »
Hmm, I think if a Clan decides to build a Nightlord, the clan will find the resources to do this.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/