Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 164081 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2017, 19:12:02 »
the only reason CBS/Paramount came down so hard was because the new show was in development by that point

No, it's not.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2017, 19:41:17 »
Im going to watch it for my Star Trek liking, but I wish it would move on in the time line where ST10 left off.

We are waiting for the release of Wraith of ilKhan before they can advance the timeline  ^-^
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: 28 May 2017, 13:42:44 »
No, it's not.

Oh don't quash their trekkie nerdrage with such things as fact about copyright, trademarks and the obligation to stop infrinctions to keep your rights.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #33 on: 28 May 2017, 14:21:28 »
It would have avoided a lot of the fan hate that STB got last spring had TPTB just bought out Axanar (rights, story ideas) but nooooo, they had to be [Censored] about it. I could give two farts and a shift of my buttocks about STD atm... yes, it looks beautiful, but I fall back on old Navy lessons learned. Sure she's a cutie but those STD's the HM's warned us about during the port brief...

As someone whom I suspect has been a Star Trek fan longer than some of them have been alive, I'm really not getting the Star Trek Beyond hate.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #34 on: 28 May 2017, 16:39:15 »
Oh don't quash their trekkie nerdrage with such things as fact about copyright, trademarks and the obligation to stop infrinctions to keep your rights.

Oh, CBS/Paramount had every right to step in. What's unfortunate about this whole debacle is that they could have protected their copyright and still earned the good graces of the fans. Because, well, they may own the IP, but it is the fans that make it profitable. Drive away fans, and it will won't be profitable to put any work into the franchise.

I don't really care about the Axanar movie one way or the other (nor do I really care about any of the other fan productions). But, it should be noted that up until this point CBS has given tacit approval for all of them. And in the case of Axanar, the team behind it had been in contact with multiple people at CBS (including executives) and all such contacts had been positive. The Axanar crew had even offered to pay any "profits" made to CBS. That was refused. Even JJ Abrams was trying to get CBS to drop the suit.

Anyway, the heart of the matter to me isn't whether Axanar went to far (which they clearly did, and have acknowledged such), but rather the way CBS reacted with their a"guidelines"; so how does one protect your intellectual property without alienating the fans that buy it from you. Because yes, legally you own it, but everyone that enjoys it, owns their experience of it.

Let's take another example: Topps sends a C&D letter to Amazon to take down all of the unlicensed BattleTech fiction from the Kindle store (yes, there actually is quite a bit on there, don't believe me, I'll PM you links), which is quite within their rights and duty to do so. But on top of that, they then say that if you want to write BattleTech fanfiction it can be no longer than a single paragraph and you are not allowed to upload it anywhere online. How quickly will that alienate the fans?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #35 on: 28 May 2017, 17:10:23 »
Oh, CBS/Paramount had every right to step in. What's unfortunate about this whole debacle is that they could have protected their copyright and still earned the good graces of the fans. Because, well, they may own the IP, but it is the fans that make it profitable. Drive away fans, and it will won't be profitable to put any work into the franchise.

I don't really care about the Axanar movie one way or the other (nor do I really care about any of the other fan productions). But, it should be noted that up until this point CBS has given tacit approval for all of them. And in the case of Axanar, the team behind it had been in contact with multiple people at CBS (including executives) and all such contacts had been positive. The Axanar crew had even offered to pay any "profits" made to CBS. That was refused. Even JJ Abrams was trying to get CBS to drop the suit.

Anyway, the heart of the matter to me isn't whether Axanar went to far (which they clearly did, and have acknowledged such), but rather the way CBS reacted with their a"guidelines"; so how does one protect your intellectual property without alienating the fans that buy it from you. Because yes, legally you own it, but everyone that enjoys it, owns their experience of it.

Let's take another example: Topps sends a C&D letter to Amazon to take down all of the unlicensed BattleTech fiction from the Kindle store (yes, there actually is quite a bit on there, don't believe me, I'll PM you links), which is quite within their rights and duty to do so. But on top of that, they then say that if you want to write BattleTech fanfiction it can be no longer than a single paragraph and you are not allowed to upload it anywhere online. How quickly will that alienate the fans?

Axanar is a case of us having a good thing, and then one guy takes it too far and that good thing gets taken away.  Paramount had gotten wise to keeping the fans on-side in the 90s when they stopped threatening to sue people for making websites with the LCARS look and feel, and they were turning a blind eye to fan films.

But Axanar changed that because Jon Peters decided to do two things - he was selling Axanar branded merchandise like model kits and coffee; and he publicly stated that the studio they put together to make Axanar would be maintained and used for commercial productions.  In short, he was personally profiting from Paramount's IP.

They literally had no choice but to act.  And maybe their guidelines are excessively harsh, but the message Jon Peters sent to Paramount was if they gave fandom an inch, eventually someone in fandom would take a mile.

I'm of the opinion that any fan who's mad at Paramount needs to turn their ire in a different direction.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 28 May 2017, 17:24:17 »
Yeah, Axanar being turned into a commercial for a new production company is probably a bridge too far.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 28 May 2017, 17:29:38 »
Well, come what may with Discovery, I'm currently watching another prequel series...my new complete series boxed set of Star Trek: Enterprise...just finished off the first season...soon to start into the second...

That gives me complete collections of TOS (remastered), TAS, DS9, and now STE. Only have the first season of Voyager though, and some of the mini-collections (Klingons, Time Travel, Captains' Picks) for stuff for TNG, but those have a lot of my favorite episodes for TNG...I do have most of the movies too though...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 29 May 2017, 17:37:28 »
sorry just  a feeling it will not live too long...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 29 May 2017, 18:55:52 »
I was under the impression they were doing one season. Next season, new characters, ship, storyline, and era.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 30 May 2017, 15:14:52 »
So it seems this show will be a reboot of sorts: because it isn't set in the "Prime" universe, nor in the "Abramsverse", but in its own new continuity. All apparently because the writers don't want to be constrained by existing continuity.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #41 on: 30 May 2017, 15:23:23 »
So it seems this show will be a reboot of sorts: because it isn't set in the "Prime" universe, nor in the "Abramsverse", but in its own new continuity. All apparently because the writers don't want to be constrained by existing continuity.
I have to agree with the new continuity thing.  If the ownership agrees its new retake of the universe then i think it will be accepted.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2017, 08:07:20 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #42 on: 30 May 2017, 15:52:20 »

Just curious, where has this been stated?
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #43 on: 30 May 2017, 16:52:55 »
Just curious, where has this been stated?

It hasn't.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 30 May 2017, 17:23:11 »
In which case could we not post rumor and innuendo that has no attributable source that contradicts previously published statements from those involved in producing the show as if it were known facts?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #45 on: 22 June 2017, 08:43:53 »
More details on the series.

Initially stuff in the video are precursors to Discovery getting started.  The main character still not the lead but she is the "captain" of a ship from the way it's reading out. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 22 June 2017, 10:00:38 »
More details on the series.

Initially stuff in the video are precursors to Discovery getting started.  The main character still not the lead but she is the "captain" of a ship from the way it's reading out. 

Um, sorry? Not sure I understand...
I thought the lead was the First officer of the Discovery?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #47 on: 22 June 2017, 11:33:23 »
Um, sorry? Not sure I understand...
I thought the lead was the First officer of the Discovery?
Sorry i got confused about way the article initially described it.  I thought they were going change the roll of the XO as she was the executive officer of the ship we see in the promos but then get's her own ship later. 

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #48 on: 22 June 2017, 15:31:58 »
No she isnt the Captain. So the star of the show isnt the Captain of the ship. Different.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 22 June 2017, 16:35:32 »
Sorry i got confused about way the article initially described it.  I thought they were going change the roll of the XO as she was the executive officer of the ship we see in the promos but then get's her own ship later. 

Ah. Yeah, the trailer does tend to make it sound that way doesn't it? Maybe she will be series end.

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #50 on: 22 June 2017, 23:38:10 »

Seriously?  I hadn't heard that... hmm...

Well, I can hold out for The Orville then.

Paul

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 23 June 2017, 00:04:58 »
Seriously?  I hadn't heard that... hmm...

Well, I can hold out for The Orville then.

Paul

That's nothing official mind you, just my interpretation of everything I've heard and read so far.
(And yeah, in hindsight I should have made that more clear.)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #52 on: 23 June 2017, 04:18:55 »
Yeah, they're saying it's in the Prime universe, but that does not prevent them from rebooting TOS, TNG, etc. anyway.

I dunno about this particular show. The trailers just aren't gripping me. Show me the damn ships!
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #53 on: 23 June 2017, 08:41:59 »
I'm treating this as reboot despite what they said.  Trailer alone was bit off for pre-TOS era.

Classic Star Trek Universe ended when movie reboots got going.  I honestly don't think anyone at CBS/Paramount cares at this point how they present Star Trek just as long as they make their money from it.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2017, 11:51:16 by Wrangler »

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 23 June 2017, 08:53:31 »
Oh hey I forgot about this one earlier....

Look at the new uniforms. See how they all have the Starfleet emblem that everyone from Kirk's crew up to DS9/Voyager wore (looks kinda like an off kilter arrowhead)?

Yeeeeaaah...there's one problem with that: in Kirk's time that was the emblem for the Enterprise only, not Starfleet as a whole. (See, back then each ship had their own emblem.) It was TNG that made it the emblem for Starfleet as a whole.

And if Discovery is set 10 years before Kirk, then either April or Pike are in charge of the Enterprise (which means the Enterprise is in service and so the Discovery can't be using the same emblem as a ship emblem...)

I know that's a tiny nitpicking thing...but it just shows nobody is doing their homework...

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #55 on: 23 June 2017, 10:38:16 »
Oh hey I forgot about this one earlier....

Look at the new uniforms. See how they all have the Starfleet emblem that everyone from Kirk's crew up to DS9/Voyager wore (looks kinda like an off kilter arrowhead)?

Yeeeeaaah...there's one problem with that: in Kirk's time that was the emblem for the Enterprise only, not Starfleet as a whole. (See, back then each ship had their own emblem.) It was TNG that made it the emblem for Starfleet as a whole.

And if Discovery is set 10 years before Kirk, then either April or Pike are in charge of the Enterprise (which means the Enterprise is in service and so the Discovery can't be using the same emblem as a ship emblem...)

I know that's a tiny nitpicking thing...but it just shows nobody is doing their homework...
was it really explicitly stated within the shows that the emblem was only for the Enterprise in Kirk's time?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 23 June 2017, 11:19:17 »
was it really explicitly stated within the shows that the emblem was only for the Enterprise in Kirk's time?

Yes. every other starfleet fleet crew had their own ship's emblem on their uniform. Each ship, startbase (and even I believe shuttle) has their own emblem. Sort of like each of the NASA mission patches.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Assignment_patch

(It was Star Trek: The Motion Picture that adopted that Delta Shield as the emblem for the entire organization.)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #57 on: 23 June 2017, 11:53:58 »
Old canon it was.  When you see crews of other Starships, you saw completely different insignias on their uniforms.

When the original series movies happened, i don't think it was said (i forget the source it's been decades since i read/heard of it) but because of the success of Enterprise's original 5 year mission and things she did during it. Her ship emblem became emblem of star fleet itself.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 23 June 2017, 12:44:57 »
Old canon it was.  When you see crews of other Starships, you saw completely different insignias on their uniforms.

When the original series movies happened, i don't think it was said (i forget the source it's been decades since i read/heard of it) but because of the success of Enterprise's original 5 year mission and things she did during it. Her ship emblem became emblem of star fleet itself.

Though, it should be pointed out that there were a couple times where uniforms were recycled. (Crewmen of other ships using Enterprise uniforms). But any command officers shown always had the emblem of their ship on their uniform.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #59 on: 25 June 2017, 12:52:07 »
This belongs here. 

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register