Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 165791 times)

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #1350 on: 24 May 2019, 10:33:19 »
It would seem that this is no longer quite true.  The whole Control arc from this past season of DISCO is apparently an adaptation of a plot from one of the Section 31 novels that are set post-ST:VOY.  (Which gives ammunition to those people who feel that DISCO should've been a post-VOY sequel, and not a prequel to TOS.)

cheers,

Gabe

DISCO could jack any story from any novel and it wouldn't matter since the novels are not canon. Which is why I never bothered to read any of them (same with Star Wars).

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #1351 on: 24 May 2019, 13:12:10 »
DISCO could jack any story from any novel and it wouldn't matter since the novels are not canon. Which is why I never bothered to read any of them (same with Star Wars).

IIRC Pocket was pretty explicit with saying the novels were not canon. Even if some of the novels had the same writers as the shows, & had better ideas or interpretations than what the shows came out with...

That being said, while the old STar Wars EU was "semi-canon" (i.e. canonical within the EU, & canonical in the larger SW universe...unless/until directly contradicted by the movies or TV shows), EVERYTHING is now canon; novels, comics, etc. So if you want the "full" story you have to collect those media additions. That being said, I don't feel like the current SW novels go into as much depth as the old EU novels do. But I also haven't read the entire line either...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1352 on: 24 May 2019, 20:07:02 »
First teaser fo ST: Picard is out in the wild.

It looks it will be deep. Not sure it will be my cup of tea.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1353 on: 25 May 2019, 15:20:24 »
First teaser fo ST: Picard is out in the wild.

It looks it will be deep. Not sure it will be my cup of tea.

Looks great
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1354 on: 25 May 2019, 22:04:45 »
So for the Picard show...what would you sacrifice to get John deLancie on the show as Q?  There's even an in-character explanation for his aging: "Oh come now Jean-Luc, aging is what all you humans do.  I just thought I would take a form more...contemporary for you, so that you didn't feel so.  Old.  Aren't I compassionate?"
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1355 on: 26 May 2019, 00:49:49 »
So for the Picard show...what would you sacrifice to get John deLancie on the show as Q?  There's even an in-character explanation for his aging: "Oh come now Jean-Luc, aging is what all you humans do.  I just thought I would take a form more...contemporary for you, so that you didn't feel so.  Old.  Aren't I compassionate?"

Gods no. I'd sacrifice to NOT have him in the show.

Q was the most annoying ugh, horrible overused and stupid character in TNG.

No nonononononononononononnonononono.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #1356 on: 26 May 2019, 02:54:28 »

Amen, brother.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1357 on: 26 May 2019, 03:33:00 »
Yes YESssssss
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #1358 on: 26 May 2019, 12:13:48 »
I can see them digitally de-aging him to look as he did, then flip it off into the whole make Picard feel better shpiel.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1359 on: 26 May 2019, 16:00:22 »
Make him feel better/troll him for being a simple aging mortal, sort of thing.

I totally agree he overstayed his welcome in DS9 and Voyager, but I REALLY liked the sparring and back and forth Picard and Q had, as well as some of the other crew.  Favorite Q episode is Q Who, because it introduced the Borg and pushed Picard to admit he's only so capable...and yet still justifed humans going out there anyway.  And then there's Deja Q. 

"What must I do to convince you people?!"
"Die."
"Oh very clever Mr. Worf.  Eat any good books lately?"

It's the writing that made it, and deLancie and Stewart's delivery that killed it, for me.  The chemistry between those two actors was fantastic from day one, I thought.

On that note, if you ever get the chance, for the love of Rodden's berries please find Spock Vs Q.  There's two of them, they're hilarious, and Nimoy and deLancie get along even better than Stewart.  It's a joy to listen to if you can, and it's always nice to hear Leonard's voice again even if we'll never get a 3rd one.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1360 on: 27 May 2019, 01:02:51 »

I liked him.

But I was 12 and have purposefully not rewatched the show since I became an adult to avoid ruining things for myself.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1361 on: 27 May 2019, 07:39:10 »
I hope to see some characters from all the Star Trek Series like TNG, DS9 and Voyager. I don't want them all in there, and hope there is more than enough room and story without putting them all in there at all. Its Picard...not TNG TNG!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1362 on: 27 May 2019, 10:04:54 »
I hope to see some characters from all the Star Trek Series like TNG, DS9 and Voyager. I don't want them all in there, and hope there is more than enough room and story without putting them all in there at all. Its Picard...not TNG TNG!
Whoopi Goldberg has said she's interested but that they haven't asked her.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1363 on: 27 May 2019, 17:04:55 »

Initial reports were few to none Jonathan Frakes is involved but behind camera that's about it
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1364 on: 28 May 2019, 08:24:04 »

I'll remember that next time someone brings up Wesley Crusher.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1365 on: 28 May 2019, 08:45:26 »
I'll remember that next time someone brings up Wesley Crusher.
Double your money.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1366 on: 03 June 2019, 12:13:45 »
TLDR

Accidentally kept CBS after the week trial to watch Big Bang Theory finale . . . and I am now 8 or 9 episodes in.

I like that they dove right in with the opening of the Klingon War, nice staple of the universe.  Its the Prime, right?  I feel they incorporated a bit of the display/bridge/suit looks from the Red Matter 'verse but I think they give homage to about everything- references to Enterprise and STOS are particularly on display.  I also think the intro music includes bars/bits from all the TV shows, when the Discovery loops around and draws the red line across the screen at the end with the crescendo that just stands out to me as the DS9 intro w/ the runabout.

For the pilot, I think they hammer home the UFP vs Klingon War was brought about by a culture conflict.  The Klingons say hello by opening fire- they start off attacking to judge who they run into while the UFP tries to talk first and only responds with weapons fire as a last resort.  Just as the Klingons were culturally programmed to operate one way, Starfleet was programmed to operate in exactly the opposite way.  Rose-colored glasses all round!  As Sarek says late, the war was inevitable- the Vulcans are not only logical, it reveals they are very pragmatic in that they did not approach contact with Klingons how they wanted it to go, but dealt with them how they were at that time.

I also thought I saw a shout out to Section 31 in the 2nd episode when Burnham ended up on the Discovery and noted the black emblem on a armed guard.  At first I was wondering if Lorca was a co-opted officer but as of halfway through S1 his character has changed and does no longer seem to be as confident as he was earlier- though like the admiral doctor said, it was hard to tell if he was sincere.  The phaser tucked in at the waistband IMO kept it in doubt.

I did like the captain's quarters in the pilot having some of the same touches as Kirk's, and the call back to Mudd was fun too.

I assume S3 is already on order?  The show 'feels' very Star Trek, a bit more than Enterprise did to be honest.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #1367 on: 03 June 2019, 14:49:56 »
Its the Prime, right?

No.

I assume S3 is already on order?  The show 'feels' very Star Trek, a bit more than Enterprise did to be honest.

Yep, S3 is already in the works. I believe it starts filming this month or next, but I could be wrong about that. Writing began a few months ago.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1368 on: 03 June 2019, 14:53:55 »
Not Prime really?  I have tried to avoid treasers for S2, but Pike has the Enterprise?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #1369 on: 03 June 2019, 14:59:33 »
He does.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1370 on: 03 June 2019, 15:01:57 »
DISCO is in the Prime timeline, same as all the other TV shows, the TOS and TNG movies, and the "future" segments of the 2009 movie
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1371 on: 03 June 2019, 15:09:02 »
Ok, that is what I thought . . . like I said, there were still some touches from Red Matter design & visuals but it fit more between Enterprise & TOS.
Colt Ward

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #1372 on: 03 June 2019, 15:20:23 »
DISCO is in the Prime timeline, same as all the other TV shows, the TOS and TNG movies, and the "future" segments of the 2009 movie

Oh wait, yeah, I got mixed up. It's Prime, not Kelvin. My bad.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1373 on: 03 June 2019, 15:48:24 »
But if you go by the copyright agreement, the fact that ships look different is due to that; at least being 25% different from the shows pre JJ ST movies.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #1374 on: 03 June 2019, 15:56:36 »
But if you go by the copyright agreement, the fact that ships look different is due to that; at least being 25% different from the shows pre JJ ST movies.

Nope, that is absolutely not true. It is false info perpetuated by certain fan sites.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1375 on: 03 June 2019, 19:23:13 »
Nope, that is absolutely not true. It is false info perpetuated by certain fan sites.
So they simply changed the TOS Enterprise to "fit" it into Discovery? ???

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1376 on: 03 June 2019, 19:24:45 »
There was no legal requirement would be the best answer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1377 on: 03 June 2019, 19:52:29 »
Ship's exteriors would go through some changes through out their service life . . . I mean you had TOS look and then the STTM look for what was supposed to be the same ship.  With that said I have not seen Enterprise since I have not gotten to S2.
Colt Ward

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1378 on: 03 June 2019, 22:30:05 »
The Motionless Picture took its time to explain that the Enterprise spent 18 months in refit and was a whole new ship as to why it looked different.  Very, very explicitly not the "same" ship.

That said, nothing says there wasn't a similar refit under Pike or between Pike and Kirk that turned Big E into what she looked like in TOS; ten years is plenty of time for ships on five year missions to have a little down time.  Especially with those Enterprise-type nacelle windows.

Which fits with what's mentioned here:
https://trekmovie.com/2019/03/24/how-the-uss-enterprise-was-redesigned-for-star-trek-discovery/
Though...I suppose it could be lined up better for the art - if you center the saucers, it becomes a case of simply stripping off the outermost ring to get it into the same size, while moving the "early model" forward should just about line up the warp pylons as well for internal plumbing.

It's not the kind of difference made in the Kelvin timeline movies where the bloody thing is suddenly bigger than a Galaxy-class, for example...

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1379 on: 04 June 2019, 01:21:21 »
So they simply changed the TOS Enterprise to "fit" it into Discovery? ???

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan