Author Topic: New ISAW Units  (Read 3433 times)

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
New ISAW Units
« on: 29 April 2019, 20:53:04 »
So, Bob was complaining to me the other day about wanting more ready-made formations to play with in ISAW.  Being a kindly sort I agreed to do Bob a favor amd work some up.  Here are values for generic Inner Sphere transport units to let you contest planetfall.  Also, the first five Warships converted to ISAW values!  That's right, actual Warships.

Notes:  All of these units are individual Combat Teams.  You will need to combine 2-4 of them to form a Combat Unit.  Size and TMM of the Combat Unit are the average of the selected Combat Teams.  Speed is equal to the slowest Combat Team.
The Assault Ships Combat Team is there for the "Assault Aerospace" production option.
All Dropship Combat Teams are composed of 4 Dropships for docking collar requirement calculations.
Each BattleMech or Armor Transport is capable of carrying a full battalion.
The Aerospace Transport can carry a full Wing of fighters.
The Infantry Transport can carry a full regiment of infantry.

WarShips.  You will notice each Warship has three different damage values in each range bracket.  In order these are CAP, MSL, and standard damage values.

Finally....Bob is a bit of a whiner, so I'll probably be updating this list each week with more ISAW Combat Teams.

Onion2112

• Sergeant
Re: New ISAW Units
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2019, 20:45:14 »
Thanks Alexander,

I've been working on my own Warship, Pocket Warship & dropship stats for ACS in the Dark Age era.

For the base stats I had been using your Alpha Strike WS/JS/DS/SC spreadsheet.

For Transports I came up with an idea the same as yours here, ie small combat teams that needed to be combined to form a ACS unit (so its good to read I was on the right track)

Pocket Warship units were a bit of a dilema, as the stats for these as a 12 PWS assault dropship wing created something very powerful, but the background information discusses them more operating as squadrons (or flotillas or stars).

I went with the idea from the Medusans of having 6 ship squadrons and using this as an ACS unit (divided into 2 ship divisions). Plus the Fed suns in FM:3085 is mentioned as operating 6 ship Sqns. My thought being the Medusans set the doctrine for everyone else to follow

But also having the PWS "squadrons" containing included small craft or fighters.
For example a Draconis Combine PWS Squadron could have 2 Taihous, 2 Nekonhono'o-SCL and 2 Achilles-3088 plus ASFs; maybe leaving the NC3 ability despite the attached ASFs (the SC in each of these are stated as being used as BA transports so I thought not include them)
or a Fed Suns Squadron could be 4 Arondights, an Overlord A-3, Excalibur-PWS, plus 12 ASFs and 8 Ares Mark IX.

A more specific example for one of these ACS Sqns is a mixed Warship/PWS "Squadron" for the Fox class Admiral Michael Saille (Warship plus 5 Arondights, 12 medium (average) ASFs and 10 Ares Mark IX). (I've attached what I came up with for this one off post 3145 unit).

« Last Edit: 07 May 2019, 01:50:47 by Onion2112 »

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2019, 15:34:17 »
Thanks!  Always love more ACS units.  On the warships, I'm torn because while I have been contemplating a 1SW ISaW game, similar in vein to my 3/4 SW game, the only thing I was thinking about NOT running ACS was the warship combat.  I figured the lethality of warship combat and the slow production/repair times on them would mean that we could just enjoy some actual warship combat.

On the other hand... fleet battles would have probably enormous amounts of aero squadrons to deal with. 
Agent # 703

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2019, 01:57:21 »
Well, here's the next edition of the formation page, complete with six new Star League-era Warships!

Also, Bob persuaded me to add four more units for planetary combat.  He didn't like the default "APCs mixed with infantry" load of the generic infantry regiment, so now I present "pure" Foot, Motorized, and Jump infantry battalions!  And, as a bonus, a Conventional Fighter squadron.  Yep, now you can throw air-breathers at the invading aerospace in a last desperate gamble to do some damage!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2019, 23:28:59 »
So it's been a few weeks.  And the House Arano book is coming out soon.  With that, Bob started complaining to me that the default armor battalions don't fit for Taurian doctrine, and he's right.  The problem is though, that a standard Taurian armor battalion of 54 tanks is too big to be an ACS unit, so instead of giving you Taurian tank companies to combine into battalions, I've given you Taurian tank platoons to combine into companies!  (On average, a Taurian tank company should be about 1/2 as good as a generic battalion, which given it's 18 tanks vs 36 is about right.)

Also, the Periphery doesn't have a lot of those fancy-shmancy gun carriers, so you're also getting infantry field gun units!  The three Field Gun formations are Battalion-sized and can fit in with other infantry battalions.  The Field Artillery units, on the other hand, are Company-sized, so they can fit in with the generic Artillery units.

Until next time.

Register