Author Topic: Double Play - Succession Wars 3-Player Scenario  (Read 1285 times)

Mechman08

• Private
Double Play - Succession Wars 3-Player Scenario
« on: 23 December 2023, 15:13:01 »
I’ve been cooking up a 3 player scenario for an upcoming game with some friends that are still newish to CBT.  This is what I’ve put together so far (suggested unit list ignores the MUL in places due to the limits of my collection).  Feedback appreciated!

Situation
Sometime prior to Anton’s Rebellion.  Two FWL noble houses have been in a legal feud over a Germanium mining complex for years.  Scions of both houses will be participating in an off-the-books proxy battle to settle the matter before the Captain General steps in and nationalizes the complex.  It is in the Capellean Confederation’s interest that these hostilities escalate as much as possible.  A Capellean kill team in stolen Marik Mechs is being sent to eliminate the nobles on both sides.

Game Setup
This scenario is intended for 3 players: Attacker, Defender, and Interloper (GM).

The Attacker and Defender roll for Initiative.  Attacker and Defender each select 1 map sheet and place them so that their long edges touch.  The winner of the Initiative roll places second.

Attacker and Defender roll Initiative again.  Winner picks their home edge first.  The Attacker’s home edge is opposite the Defender’s.  The Interloper secretly selects one of the remaining sides as their home edge.  This Initiative roll is also used for the first turn.

Attacker
The Attacker consists of one lance of mechs, with a maximum total BV of 5000.  All pilots in the force are Gunnery 3, Piloting 4; this is not factored into the total BV for the force.  The controlling player designates one unit as being piloted by the noble scion.  The Attacker enters through their home edge in Initiative order.

Defender
The Defender consists of one lance of mechs, with a maximum total BV of 5000.  All pilots in the force are Gunnery 3, Piloting 4; this is not factored into the total BV for the force.  The controlling player designates one unit as being piloted by the noble scion.  The Defender enters through their home edge in Initiative order.

Interloper
The Interloper consists of one lance of mechs, with a maximum total BV of 5000.  All pilots in the force are Gunnery 3, Piloting 4; this is not factored into the total BV for the force.  The Interloper deploys on Turn 3 using the Dropping Mechs (Simplified) rules from Chaos Campaign: Succession Wars, p. 12.

Objectives
Hold the Field: (Attacker and Defender only) If all opposing units are destroyed or withdraw from the playing area, the remaining force successfully holds the field.  The side that completes this objective wins a Major Victory if their commander is still alive, and a Minor Victory if their commander is dead.

Perfectly Symmetrical Violence: (Interloper only) Kill BOTH opposing commanders.  Awards the Interlopers a Major Victory; this trumps the Hold the Field objective if achieved.

Special Rules
All sides must adhere to the Forced Withdrawal rules (Chaos Campaign, p. 11).

Mechs are Expensive: If more than 50% of a side’s units are Crippled, Destroyed, or leave the battlefield, the remainder begin Forced Withdrawal.

The nobles follow the rules for ejected MechWarriors as described in Tactical Operations, p. ##.  Ejected MechWarriors do not count as units for initiative order; they move immediately after half (round up) of their side’s remaining Mechs have moved.  The other pilots on the Attacker and Defender sides are not mission critical, and do not need to be tracked in this way.  Interloper pilots will choose death before capture, and do not need to be tracked.

If a noble’s Mech is destroyed in a manner that is not fatal to the MechWarrior (such as 3 engine crits), the Mech is immediately knocked prone (if standing, with automatic pilot fall damage) and becomes immobile wreckage.  The MechWarrior is trapped inside.  This wreckage does not participate in initiative, and may be targeted using the normal rules for attacking a prone, immobile target.

Coup de Grâce: The Interlopers are out for blood.  If an ejected MechWarrior is in the same hex as an active (not shut down or KO’d) Interloper unit during the End Phase, they are killed.

Suggested Units:
Attacker (4957)
Battlemaster BLR-1G (1519) VIP
Marauder MAD-3M (1335)
Rifleman RFL-3N (1039)
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (1064)

Defender (4987)
Battlemaster BLR-1G (1519) VIP
Thunderbolt TDR-5S (1335)
Wolverine WVR-6R (1101)
Enforcer ENF-4R (1032)

Interloper (4973)
Victor VTR-9B (1378)
Awesome AWS-8Q (1605)
Hunchback HBK-4G (1041)
Blackjack BJ-1 (949)
« Last Edit: 23 December 2023, 17:54:10 by Mechman08 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Double Play - Succession Wars 3-Player Scenario
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2023, 12:50:42 »
With two AC/20s, my money is on the interlopers... ;)

Mechman08

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2023, 15:21:34 »
Well... we have mostly been playing with the AGoAC box set.  So my friends haven’t experienced proper AC/20 trauma yet.  Learning experience for them, very amusing for me!   :evil:

More seriously though, I was trying to write the objectives to incentivize pulling a classic FWL... fight like cats and dogs until the outsiders drop in, team up until they’re thrown back, then go back to fighting each other.  In which case I was thinking the Victor and Hunchback would just give the Interlopers a fighting chance of pulling it off.  There’s no partial credit for bagging just one VIP.  Hoping it all shakes out into a close match on game day.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 25 December 2023, 16:19:30 »
Sounds like a plan!  Good luck, and have fun! :)

Horsemen

• Four for the price of one!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • CDT Agent #191
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2024, 03:19:43 »
Please let us know how it goes.

Mechman08

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2024, 23:24:22 »
Well, I went and mentioned a different scenario idea (which I’ll post a little later) to my friends, and they more or less said: “That sounds cool, let’s do that!”

So actually testing this one is going to be on hold for a while.  Probably a couple months with my schedule, unfortunately.

Horsemen

• Four for the price of one!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • CDT Agent #191
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2024, 01:59:03 »
That happens. Good luck with the other one.

Register