Author Topic: Talk to me about the Crossbow  (Read 4522 times)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
Talk to me about the Crossbow
« on: 26 August 2014, 18:42:03 »
All right, before we get going too far in this thread, I would like to point out that, because of how infrequently I play the game, I don't necessarily know a good Mech when I see it.  There are plenty of Mechs out there that I didn't like as a kid for aesthetic or factional reasons that I hear, "Oh, these are like some of the best Mechs in the game."

I'd also like to take a minute that, as a general rule, I'm not overly fond of missile boats.

Actually, let me rephrase that.

MY DICE are not overly fond of me using missile boats.

All that baggage being said, on an aesthetic level, I love the Crossbow.  I think it is a beautiful looking Mech.  But in terms of utility, pretty much what I experienced and what I've read has told me it, well, kinda sucks.

So, what am I missing out on with this bad boy?  Which configurations are useful, and which ones are truly clunkers?  Am I crazy for thinking it's a cool design, warts and all?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Talk to me about the Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2014, 19:25:16 »
Its okay machine, I've used it couple times.  It seems to be good till its arms are lobbed off.  Its nice looking too.

I do like the Lyran's older (arguably the original) Crossbow which was primitive mech.  It similar designed, but I like updated CRS-9A version with Streak SRMs in it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2014, 20:11:35 »
While playing blood spirits in the Fan Grand council league way back in the day, I used it as more of a medium 'mech, mainly using the SSRM-6 version.  All of the configurations were pretty cheap under BV1, but you can't expect it to really step up and beat down larger designs (and has to watch out for Stormcrow's and Black Hawk's as their firepower's pretty formidable.)  So yeah, not the greatest, but it's one that I enjoy from time to time.  If it's your main "beat stick" 'Mech you might have some issues though.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2014, 20:58:27 »
Which Crossbow?
The Viper Heavy Omni or Lyran medium?

Both are missile mechs...

I know nothing about the IS mech

The clan Omni Crossbow is a good BV value in most configurations.  You can do bad things with 4 SSRM6's or two LRM 20's.  It's an odd duck for sure, but it can kill stuff above it's BV

To the patient go the spoils

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2014, 21:40:01 »
Which Crossbow?
The Viper Heavy Omni or Lyran medium?

Both are missile mechs...

I know nothing about the IS mech

The clan Omni Crossbow is a good BV value in most configurations.  You can do bad things with 4 SSRM6's or two LRM 20's.  It's an odd duck for sure, but it can kill stuff above it's BV

Definitely should've specified.  I did mean the Steel Viper version.  I keep forgetting that the Lyran one exists.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2014, 22:13:13 »
Good 'Mech, despite its low Pod Space and lack of any sort of crit padding in the side torsos. Prime is a lot less useful in an era where ECM is all over the place, though. But, on a field here there's little to no ECM coverage, it's a freaking beast. With average rolls, it'll brutalize most other Clan OmniMechs in its weight class. Alpha and Bravo are nasty infighters. I just wish there were a decent ATM variant.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2014, 00:56:47 »
I've only ever used the Crossbow a handful of times over the years, and I've found the people perennially underestimate the H config, which can really gut opponents at close range, in my experience.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Fragger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2014, 01:38:06 »
Back in the day we didn't know about the floating crit rule, so I used to call the Streak variant the "urban gyro crusher".
The LRM variant is playable too, though it does lack firepower when fighting other clan heavies. Against IS heavies it's usually decent enough.

So yeah, I like it. Would have like to see an upgraded new version with endo/ferro and maybe with armored CT components.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2014, 07:22:12 »
People love the Kingfisher, the Crossbow is just it's slightly smaller cousin in my eyes.  12 tons of armor and a standard engine.  Yeah you only have 16 tons of pod space but you can pack a hurt if you're creative.  The Prime, H, and B are pretty good.  The E is perfect for playing that guy who uses too much battle armor }:)

Savage Yote hit the nail on the head, treat it like a medium.  If you're putting it in a star it's better suited to run with the 5/8 mediums than the 5/8 heavies.  If you want some flavor for a heavy cav star:
Crossbow
Gargoyle
Huntsman
Stooping Hawk
Nova

Pick your poison on the configurations based on mission.  That gets you some of the wackier 5/8 mechs but still a solid line up.  You can probably get some real BV value with it too.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2014, 16:49:36 »
Badly needs a hole puncher. You can spend a lot of time sanding armour off before a golden BB. Not so much an issue against the Inner Sphere, but can be a problem in Trials.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2014, 18:07:32 »
The Clan Crossbow suffers from lack of weight available for guns. Its standard engine makes it cheaper but with a big cost. A 4/6 unit would have been better. Some variants, despite the lack of pod space, manage to be dangerous. The 4x SSRM6 variant is evil and very cheap both in BV and in C-Bills. It is odd but we have the Hellbringer, Crossbow, Cauldron Born, Karhu, Hel, Linebacker and Balius as 65 ton clan omnimechs. Too many omnimechs for my taste.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2014, 18:49:48 »
For my 2 cents, it doesn't get much cheesier than the Crossbow E: 16 APGR and a TC...

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2014, 18:59:40 »
It's an OK 'Mech but is dominated by more recent units. The Timber Wolf, Septicemia, Crimson Langur and so on make quick work of a Crossbow.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2014, 10:48:16 »
As unclanlike as this sentiment is, The xbow is very much a team player, whether used for fire support or critseeking following up something like a Warhawk or other big gun carrier. Being a DC or post-reform C* player, I would love to pod in a c3/I unit and use it as a quick chaser for my gauss and/or PPC boats.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2014, 11:56:06 »
For my 2 cents, it doesn't get much cheesier than the Crossbow E: 16 APGR and a TC...

OMG I just forgot that version. It is pure evil and very cheap to use. It is the best mech to murder entire continents or critseek people until death.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2014, 12:05:03 »
As unclanlike as this sentiment is, The xbow is very much a team player, whether used for fire support or critseeking following up something like a Warhawk or other big gun carrier. Being a DC or post-reform C* player, I would love to pod in a c3/I unit and use it as a quick chaser for my gauss and/or PPC boats.

Eh. The Clans fight in synergy with one-another. Just not in every battle. So that's not the biggest problem it has, IMO.

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #16 on: 28 August 2014, 19:30:35 »
Badly needs a hole puncher. You can spend a lot of time sanding armour off before a golden BB. Not so much an issue against the Inner Sphere, but can be a problem in Trials.

H configuration has a heavy large laser and an LRM15
Hit with the HLL and you're likely to hit with the LRM15 at least 1 of 3 and probably more due to range.  It's enough to cause a PSR and do some solid damage.  Get in close and add in the medium heavy.   It's a knife fighter but at 5/8 with an SFE and 12 tons of armor it can manage to get there.  Then you're probably hitting with all 3 LRM clusters and likely doing 41 damage.

And yes there are better mechs at the same tonnage, but not many for 1700BV (except other Crossbows)

I'd like to see it keep the SFE  and get endo and ferro. 

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 30 August 2014, 09:46:19 »
H configuration has a heavy large laser and an LRM15
Hit with the HLL and you're likely to hit with the LRM15 at least 1 of 3 and probably more due to range.  It's enough to cause a PSR and do some solid damage.  Get in close and add in the medium heavy.   It's a knife fighter but at 5/8 with an SFE and 12 tons of armor it can manage to get there.  Then you're probably hitting with all 3 LRM clusters and likely doing 41 damage.

And yes there are better mechs at the same tonnage, but not many for 1700BV (except other Crossbows)

I'd like to see it keep the SFE  and get endo and ferro.

I think either the H or the B is the one I'm going to give a try when I get the chance.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 30 August 2014, 09:48:57 »
In Clan v. Clan warfare, the H is pretty much an auto-loss, unless you go to ridiculous lengths to carefully play to its strengths. Even a mediocre configuration of the Huntsman, Ice Ferret, Timber Wolf,  etc. etc. can put that thing into a trash heap with VERY little effort.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #19 on: 30 August 2014, 11:24:40 »
In Clan v. Clan warfare, the H is pretty much an auto-loss, unless you go to ridiculous lengths to carefully play to its strengths. Even a mediocre configuration of the Huntsman, Ice Ferret, Timber Wolf,  etc. etc. can put that thing into a trash heap with VERY little effort.

In a BV matched game the Crossbow can bring anything from a point of toads to a Kit Fox prime among with it though....

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 30 August 2014, 15:05:43 »
In a BV matched game the Crossbow can bring anything from a point of toads to a Kit Fox prime among with it though....

Like I said: Ridiculous lengths. :)

In most cases, duels WON'T be "BV matched" between individual units. The forces might be before combat, but no one is going to refuse a duel because the BV doesn't match up. It's the Crossbow's fault for bringing such a short-ranged machine. Die well, Warrior.

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 30 August 2014, 17:00:14 »
Savage Yote hit the nail on the head, treat it like a medium.

Only problem there is that the Crossbow tends to dominate Steel Viper Heavy and Assault Stars. Granted, when their primary assault 'Mech is the Gargoyle of all things.. yeah.. #P

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #22 on: 30 August 2014, 17:37:04 »
The lack of anything in the side torsos is a pure death sentence for most of the configuration.  When all three of your torsos become center torso crits, it is almost impossible to survive long enough to hurt an opponent.

Against the Inner Sphere, especially with less advanced technology, it is not a terrible design.  It can hold its own.  It is just an easy kill on a Clan vs. Clan battlefield.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #23 on: 30 August 2014, 18:53:53 »
My thought on the crossbow: The greatest prank ever pulled by a Snow Raven on a Steel Viper.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #24 on: 30 August 2014, 20:22:45 »
Only problem there is that the Crossbow tends to dominate Steel Viper Heavy and Assault Stars. Granted, when their primary assault 'Mech is the Gargoyle of all things.. yeah.. #P

Between it and the Battle Cobra, it seems markedly more impressive that the Steel Vipers were able to accomplish what they did during the Wars of Reaving.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 30 August 2014, 22:13:56 »
Between it and the Battle Cobra, it seems markedly more impressive that the Steel Vipers were able to accomplish what they did during the Wars of Reaving.

Meh, the Mad Dog and Hellbringer remain the most common Heavy designs available to the Clans, which the Crossbow compares favorably with, trading out sheer firepower for thicker armor and (usually) heat neutrality. Considering that it would also be used to bully most heavier Medium designs as well and they're mostly covered. As for the Battle Cobra, it is surprisingly effective, most especially the Primary, thanks to those pulse lasers. Tack on the fact that the Vipers seem to be fluffed as having better than average MechWarriors and they make for a formidable opponent.

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #26 on: 30 August 2014, 23:37:43 »

I respectfully disagree. I've used H configs to great effect in many battles. H configurations are fun to use in nearly any situation. They force the timidity out of a player.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 30 August 2014, 23:40:52 »
I respectfully disagree. I've used H configs to great effect in many battles. H configurations are fun to use in nearly any situation. They force the timidity out of a player.

O.o I'd love to see that in action. It's hard to think it actually worked unless it was on a very tiny map.

Register