Author Topic: Arthur Steiner Davion  (Read 19533 times)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
Arthur Steiner Davion
« on: 08 September 2019, 12:44:09 »
Did they ever find Arthur Steiner Davion.  Since I had the impression he was on Mars being groomed by the Master

Alan Davion

• Sergeant
Re: Arthur Steiner Davion
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2019, 19:13:13 »
According to Sarna he was assassinated on December 6th, 3062, which is apparently the spark that started the fire known as the FedCom Civil War.

Supposedly he faked his death and would later reappear as Devlin Stone, as the Sarna page says their general philosophies were identical.

There's been no official confirmation for this though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2019, 19:27:32 »
There was a hint in Total Chaos source book that he was working with the WoB as a Prescentor. As one of the three Mercs working for the Wob and saw someone whom they thought that he looked like him. However the book is canon but given random choice its adventure. So it may not be canon solid. Maybe canon rumor.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2019, 13:57:58 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2019, 19:50:40 »
The Arthur=Stone was mostly a fan theory shot down by most writers as Devlin Stone not only looks and sounds different but is also taller than Arthur.

I personally never liked the idea of Arthur being some random Wobbie in the background, gives his character allot less gravity.

IMO, don't think Arthur survived. The Shadow Division may have grab him for the same reasons ComStar grabbed Fotch but no indication he recovered from his wounds. If he did, most likely was jetted off with the remains of the MD to who-knows-where and might as well be dead.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2019, 21:40:26 »
Playing conspiracy theory but since the German word for “Stone” is “Stein”, this could mean anything but Devlin Stein(-er) does have a distinct similarity to Davion-Steiner

Also I believe Devlin Stone gave Prince Julian a mech named Arthur in TRO 3145/50 (can’t recall which)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2019, 21:55:34 »
i'm pretty sure that Arthur was a plot thread that FASA was going to use in the original planned version of the Jihad, and that when we had the multiple company changeovers and the resulting changes in creative staff and outlines, it was a plot thread that got forgotten.

i don't think that Stone is Arthur.. as pointed out, the two men are way too different physically. far more than could be accounted for by cosmetic surgery.

i suspect that Arthur's fate will be tackled eventually.. Catalyst has shown a strong willingness to take a lot of those hanging plot threads and mysteries and use them to weave new stories, either to progress the timeline or to create interesting side stories that enrich earlier periods.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2019, 21:59:57 »
We know Arthur survives the bombing and the implication is he’s pretty badly mangled by the blast - hence recovering in some sensory deprivation tank as they regrow.
That would fit with him becoming one of the Master’s Chosen cyborgs.

Is he Lucifier? The Word of Blake MD who works on Terra with St Jamias? That would fit with the Total Chaos reference to seeing a MD that resembles Hanse Davion.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2019, 23:25:06 »
We know Arthur survives the bombing and the implication is he’s pretty badly mangled by the blast - hence recovering in some sensory deprivation tank as they regrow.
That would fit with him becoming one of the Master’s Chosen cyborgs.

Is he Lucifier? The Word of Blake MD who works on Terra with St Jamias? That would fit with the Total Chaos reference to seeing a MD that resembles Hanse Davion.

Lucifer was confirmed by one of the writers to be someone else but I can't for the life of me remember who.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2019, 14:52:46 »
FASA novel plot lines unfortunately were no longer solid one serial production of original core novels ceased.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2019, 10:05:45 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

abou

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2019, 15:39:45 »
I think Ray on the boards mentioned Stone was going to be a Rabid Fox operative, which explains his skill set. Never had a chance to come up so it just sort of became a moot point.

If we had novels to carry us through the Jihad, we might have seen that and what happened to Arthur. Arthur may have had a big role to play in the Jihad, but behind the scenes that only a novel could cover.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2019, 17:11:36 »
I think Ray on the boards mentioned Stone was going to be a Rabid Fox operative, which explains his skill set. Never had a chance to come up so it just sort of became a moot point.

If we had novels to carry us through the Jihad, we might have seen that and what happened to Arthur. Arthur may have had a big role to play in the Jihad, but behind the scenes that only a novel could cover.

Obviously, not technically canon as it was just posted here, but one of the authors confirmed this.
Remember in Masters and Minions there is the implication that Devlin Stone fits the description of the following: a merchant dropship captain from Liao space, a FedSun militia mechwarrior, a construction worker and at least one other person.
The writer confirmed in a post here that Stone was supposed to be ALL of them. They were all just various cover identities for a Stealthy Fox.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2019, 17:48:50 »
Yeah, if we ever do get those novels, I hope they keep with the original idea. Just because we know what happens doesn't mean we can't get an interesting or compelling story.

Alan Davion

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2019, 18:17:47 »
Yeah, if we ever do get those novels, I hope they keep with the original idea. Just because we know what happens doesn't mean we can't get an interesting or compelling story.

I absolutely agree with this, which is why I was so excited for "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" on NetFlix. Just cause we know how the overall story ends, doesn't mean there aren't stories waiting to be told from the past.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2019, 18:19:48 »
Someone who understands the 3025 fan base!  :thumbsup:

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2019, 22:37:04 »
I'll chip in with remembering a writer saying something, somewhere, some time about ASD being the original plant for Stone, but going in a different direction with it.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2019, 22:39:56 »
Lucifer was confirmed by one of the writers to be someone else but I can't for the life of me remember who.

IIRC it was confirmed to be Ravanna, post Thuggee-MD.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2019, 03:35:41 »
IIRC it was confirmed to be Ravanna, post Thuggee-MD.

I just looked. And you’re right. Meanwhile, who the hell was Ravanna? He’s just sorta appeared as the head of the Thugee MD

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2019, 16:45:21 »
He probably spare parts now in some lost WoB vault.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 10 September 2019, 17:10:46 »
Ugh, now there's a creepy thought.  Just as Mechs were frankensteined to keep them going during the succession wars, Domini soldiers being maintained with salvaged cybernetics.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #19 on: 11 September 2019, 22:37:21 »
Ugh, now there's a creepy thought.  Just as Mechs were frankensteined to keep them going during the succession wars, Domini soldiers being maintained with salvaged cybernetics.

I like to imagine that part of the personality/memories of the former host survive in their salvaged parts.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #20 on: 11 September 2019, 23:26:30 »
Arthur Steiner-Davion was turned into the Six-Million C-Bill Man.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 11 September 2019, 23:29:06 »
@beachhead1985
Ewww...

I actually hope the Arthur Steiner Davion story line goes in a different and unexpected direction. I rather Stone be an odd footnote in BT history.
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 11 September 2019, 23:56:57 »
As someone who actually enjoyed aspects of the Dark Age, my money was on Stone being dead from the word go. That said; yeah, rather not have Arthur come back in the same fashion and turn it into a full blown trope. 

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #23 on: 13 September 2019, 21:19:41 »
@beachhead1985
Ewww...

I actually hope the Arthur Steiner Davion story line goes in a different and unexpected direction. I rather Stone be an odd footnote in BT history.

"What is that?..."

"Oh! Well, our unit displays their Jihad Battle Honours with scavenged Manei Domini cybernetics; one per battle honour. Our Regiment fought in six campaigns; so six random body parts!"

"Why is there a blue light still blinking on the head?"

"Don't know! Our Tech's EMP'd the heck out of it before we could keep it, but that light just keeps blinking where the eye was."

"And you've had that hanging, upside-down from your flagpole---"

"---Standard."

"Your standard....since the Jihad ended, fifty years ago?"

"Fifty-Six! The head came first! If you turn a radio to 56.90 Mhz there's this weird wailing we think comes from a triple-core processer embedded in that thigh! And the diaphragm in the ribcage flutters if you touch a powercell to that spinal cord."

A.E. Housman

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #24 on: 14 September 2019, 04:23:47 »
I did have the idea of a Canopus-Born Merc (Obviously fanfiction) who was heavily robo'd up and started taking trophies of Manei Domini Cybernetics to replace any bits they broke as the Jihad went on... So I like this idea.

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #25 on: 14 September 2019, 12:33:40 »
In terms of characters having dual identities, my own wild theory was that curaitis and Candace liao’s youngest son Quintus were the same person.

Wild theories are fun!
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 14 September 2019, 19:10:35 »
I'm satisfied with the thought of Devlin Stone was originally going to be ASD and then the writers decided to go in a new direction.

Annwn

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 14 September 2019, 19:44:03 »
I'm satisfied with the thought of Devlin Stone was originally going to be ASD and then the writers decided to go in a new direction.

That was my conclusion too.  I'm also fine that they went another direction if that was the case - I think the overall story was much better with Stone not being ASD.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #28 on: 14 September 2019, 20:02:01 »
Just to prove that the universe can be run by someone who's not named Steiner-Davion?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 14 September 2019, 20:30:24 »
Just to prove that the universe can be run by someone who's not named Steiner-Davion?

Inconceivable!

Register