Author Topic: Anti-tank infantry?  (Read 1797 times)

abou

• Captain
Anti-tank infantry?
« on: 16 January 2019, 11:25:34 »
I came across a video on YouTube describing German WWII anti-tank tactics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJZJflMEiw

Are there any rules that cover anti-tank operations that give infantry a bonus at close range? I imagine they would be kind of similar to anti-mech operations, but also different.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Anti-tank infantry?
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2019, 11:29:27 »
they can fire at tanks when occupying the same hex (and not be fired on), swarm, and are a giant menace for motive crits with all damage applied in two point clusters. they're already kind of a nightmare for tanks if they get in close.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2019, 11:31:06 »
Per Total Warfare a swarm attack can be used against a vehicle as long as it is not airborne. It's actually easier than doing it to a mech. Pg. 226 if that's what you're looking for.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2019, 12:43:35 »
Thanks, guys. Those were some rules clarifications I either forgot about or wasn't aware of. I don't use a lot of infantry, but for a GMed campaign they are powerful.

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2019, 04:07:42 »
Thanks, guys. Those were some rules clarifications I either forgot about or wasn't aware of. I don't use a lot of infantry, but for a GMed campaign they are powerful.

They don't need to be in a GM'ed game with manufactured situations for plot and tension to be powerful. In standard games, if the person knows how to use them, they can be a real pain against anything. Some people dismiss infantry, others accuse players of using them as initiative sinks since their knowledge of them is extremely limited. However, when you can get someone to prefer to move an assault mech of theirs away from 3 platoons of your infantry and into the gaping maw of your assault lance because that seems less fear inducing then the infantry, you might be proving a point. When that player is asked why they did that and they confirm it was to get away from the infantry and that they knew they were moving towards a lance of mechs instead, its kinda funny. Funny because they were infantry platoons that were taken from TW instead of some home made, high end infantry, and you were hoping they would go towards the infantry more then go towards the mechs.