Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Nobori-nin (Huntsman)  (Read 20328 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Mech of the Week: Nobori-nin (Huntsman)
« Reply #30 on: 29 November 2013, 09:39:06 »
Intersting update for a great and often forgotten mech, and the Radical Heatsink...possibly pointing towards it being a Fidelis machine?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #31 on: 29 November 2013, 10:42:51 »
Is there any signs of Nobori-nin (Huntsman) being still produced?  With the Draconis Combine taking over the Cat's manufacturing abilities, i thought they'd be having limited access to producing it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #32 on: 29 November 2013, 11:24:19 »
Nope, the Nobori-nin (Huntsman) is OOP. Heck, it's likely that way by the time of the Rebellion. But that doesn't mean there aren't examples floating around within the Sharks, Combine, and Republic.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #33 on: 29 November 2013, 11:33:13 »
Nope, the Nobori-nin (Huntsman) is OOP. Heck, it's likely that way by the time of the Rebellion. But that doesn't mean there aren't examples floating around within the Sharks, Combine, and Republic.
Hmm, I thought this thing was one of the 'mechs be produced in the Inner Sphere by LAW by 3079. I guess I got it confused with the Hankyu. (Hankyu very much!)

I can't imagine there alot Nobori-nins being around, since the wars and disarmments treaties were doing a number of these designs.  OmniMech or not.  Still, it kool design.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #34 on: 29 November 2013, 11:51:37 »
The Cats still had control of their manufacturing until the fallout of the Second Combine-Dominion War. Objectives: The Clans has them producing the Hankyu in 3079 while TRO: 3058u has the Nobori-nin being cranked out at both Avon Alpha and Irece Alpha in 3070. But as always, those are just snapshots of production at that given moment.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 29 November 2013, 14:12:45 »
Fun fact, the Huntsman F is only one of two Clan OmniMechs mounting the RHS in RS3145 - NTNU. The other is the Deimos E. Discuss.

... but this isn't a conversation about a truckful of nut-punchings.

Seriously; I've taken a very good look at the E and it perfectly shows why the RHS might just be overpowered.  Twin LPLs, and ER large, and an ERPPC at what- 7, 8 hexes with MASC and Supercharger engaged?  I believe it should be rule that the Deimos E can only be painted in heavy metal band logos, and any time RHS is used Motorhead has to follow it's wake.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 29 November 2013, 19:00:19 »
Huh...I never knew there was a Huntsman besides the "A" config...

I've seen that stupid LB-2X get more golden BB hits...

I know what you mean. One of the funniest things I ever saw was a Warhawk getting oneshotted by one in the first round of a tourney. Cluster round from about 27 hexes away, one point, floating crit, hit the head, killed the pilot. Guy was swearing his butt off. I liked to joke "All you had to do was patch the glass, hose the cockpit out and you just got yourself some nice salvage."
« Last Edit: 29 November 2013, 19:02:03 by Nightsong »

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #37 on: 08 February 2014, 13:55:15 »
I'm startIng to like this thing more and more.  Mostly my new found love of medium-heavy cavalry units.  The Huntsman works well with Novas and Stooping Hawks from its own weight class as well as the cavalry heavies.  It's still around in the homeworlds last we saw with the Cobras which means I get to team it up with Septicemia's too  }:)

To the patient go the spoils

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 21 February 2014, 22:20:26 »
A decent Medium 'Mech, but not something I'd use in favor of more classic designs like the Nova or Stormcrow. Despite the existence of the Shadow Cat, the Primary configuration strikes me as something I'd use somewhat like a giant Mist Lynx. Good for heavy recon and capable of handling just about anything it encounters thanks to the surprisingly heavy armament to go along with the maxed-out armor.

Unlike everyone else, I cannot stand the Alpha configuration. Pulse lasers as primary weapons for the Clans have always struck me as the mark of a poor warrior due to being used to compensate for lack of skill (and, yet I don't mind them on the Mad Dog Prime, go figure). Bravo is probably my favorite configuration, though. A potent mix of a PPC and heavy autocannon plus a decent secondary armament. My only issue is the giant ammo bin for the twin machine guns. Charlie is workable, but it just bugs me due to the mixed LRM racks and tiny ammo bins for its three main weapons. Delta I actually like, mostly because I have an unhealthy fascination with the Class 10 autocannon in any flavor and strikes me as more of a partner for the Bravo. I've never used the other variants, though. Mostly because they don't strike me as anything I'd really want to or enjoy using. I may end up giving the Echo a whirl someday, but the over reliance on pulse lasers just bugs me.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #39 on: 22 February 2014, 00:20:26 »
The 'H' has become my go-to config when I use a Huntsman. Good brackets, heat is manageable if you maintain those brackets... this is a winner. If it's not available for some reason, I roll a Prime for much the same reason- good bracketed attacks.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #40 on: 22 February 2014, 00:24:24 »
The H is a total beast: one of my favorite Clan mediums.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #41 on: 22 February 2014, 00:24:59 »
Not sure how the Nova really turns out to be a better mech in its configurations than the Huntsman.  I generally prefer the H as it is a XL'd Stooping Hawk C with the electronics to support the modern battlefield- and they are decently placed.  Only thing that comes close for the ranged firepower on the Huntsman is the Nova A though some of the later Blackhawks are closer.  I like the B and N as well, but you are right the B has too much MG ammo which could be given to something else useful.

Unfortunately the E is basically a mini Night Gyr P . . . er I mean E!  Its the E, it showcases ATMs and not giving the Falcons a pile of pulse!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #42 on: 22 February 2014, 08:03:50 »
The 'H' has become my go-to config when I use a Huntsman. Good brackets, heat is manageable if you maintain those brackets... this is a winner. If it's not available for some reason, I roll a Prime for much the same reason- good bracketed attacks.

The H also makes a great Stormcrow configuration if you drop the small laser.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #43 on: 22 February 2014, 13:33:56 »
The H is a total beast: one of my favorite Clan mediums.

Yeah it's dangerous with ability to force PSR's at that kind of range, then dump 5 HMLs in your face up close.  The TC makes it.

The F is not a far cry from the H.  Accurate long range punch and a mid range monster. 

To the patient go the spoils

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 22 February 2014, 18:16:22 »
Has anyone played with the "F" before? Its the one with the Improved Heavy Large Laser and Radical heat Sink system.   I don't know the weights that well, but won't it been cooler to have couple Improved medium lasers verse singular large?

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #45 on: 22 February 2014, 20:23:09 »
Small correction, the H has four medium heavy lasers. Minor error on the Sarna article.

As for the F - yes you could easily mount two medium heavies for half the weight, more damage, and less heat. But the large gives the configuration that all important heavy single punch and matches range brackets with the ER mediums. So the pilot can start giving 'em everything he's got at fifteen hexes. It's also worth noting that an alpha will net you +5 in addition to movement. Hence the F is geared toward flipping the RHS every other turn to safely make the most of the equipment. Alpha strike till missile bins are dry. The targeting computer and Artemis V are there to help those shot find their target. And CASE II is its own justification.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #46 on: 22 February 2014, 22:17:29 »
The Huntsman does pop up in the Wars of Reaving Supplemental 3085 RATs, mostly with the Cloud Cobras. But you're right, it's not a very widespread design.

That's because Brim Ironworks on Brim still makes the Huntsman for Clan Cloud Cobra. It was captured by them during the Nova Cats' abjuration. As a side note, the Brim Ironworks makes:

Griffin IIC 3
Griffin IIC 4
Griffin IIC 5
Huntsman
Supernova

I would say that its availability would be limited to the Cobras' trade partners; the Star Adders and Blood Spirits. Of course there are always trials of possession occurring for production runs, so it's feasible that they'd pop up as isorla in any Clan.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2014, 22:21:30 by TigerShark »
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #47 on: 24 February 2014, 09:33:29 »
Small correction, the H has four medium heavy lasers. Minor error on the Sarna article.

As for the F - yes you could easily mount two medium heavies for half the weight, more damage, and less heat. But the large gives the configuration that all important heavy single punch and matches range brackets with the ER mediums. So the pilot can start giving 'em everything he's got at fifteen hexes. It's also worth noting that an alpha will net you +5 in addition to movement. Hence the F is geared toward flipping the RHS every other turn to safely make the most of the equipment. Alpha strike till missile bins are dry. The targeting computer and Artemis V are there to help those shot find their target. And CASE II is its own justification.
One more reason to stick with the Large instead of paired Mediums, crit space. The Huntsman as a whole and the F in particular are short on crit space. The F only has 3 free crits,  1 in each leg, one in the LT (iHLL is in the LA). So you'd have 2 free tons, but only 2 crits (likely 1 in each leg) to use those tons.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #48 on: 24 February 2014, 12:51:52 »
Well, there's always the H's answer: ECM and an active probe.