Author Topic: Alpha Strike Bat-Rep with Klat  (Read 8057 times)

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
  • When in doubt throw more metal at it
Alpha Strike Bat-Rep with Klat
« on: 09 August 2013, 21:36:01 »

Klat and I got our second Alpha Strike game in today. Had to put the game on hold right as it started to get interesting, all our figures were left where they were for when we continue it later this weekend hopefully. Onwards to the report!

Points limit was set at 222. Special Munitions authorized and the location was longside 4x4 area. Fight took place in a small city with a mesa maze off to the side.

Klat fielding his Battlecorp forces (3 lances worth of mechs with his commander in his Marauder at Skill 3. Everybody else on his force was skill 4.)

My personal merc company the Mclarens Flankers showed up 4 lances strong of mechs, with two lances of tanks for support. Commander was located in my AS7-D. The entire command lance was given precision munitions as they had the highest concentration of autocannons.

Turn one was spent maneuvering our various forces, no serious shooting took place. Turn two resulted in ineffective fire from both sides. However on a lark and in order to try our hand at direct fire/indirect fire from arty, Klat lobbed death at my locust and missed, the shot however drifted into my spider and nearly killed it, causing a critical hit ammo explosions. Thank god for the ENE special ability.

Turn four my command lance began to maneuver towards klats forces while my fire support lance provided cover fire... hitting several counties over. My scout lance began towards the objectives I had set out for them and poured fire into a few of klats mechs to little effect. With my wild card lance attempting to call down indirect fire yet screwing that up.... such shame. Klats forces had about as much effect as mine did, however he did score a nasty weapon hit on my sentinel reducing it to a punching machine. A turn later the same thing happened to my own marauder.

Turn six began with some nasty fire via klat and myself... he managed to rip the lead tokagawa tank apart and kill it while his kochei was killed by the bulldogs at the lead of the konga line of death. the Bulldogs raced ahead to begin their assault while the tokegawa's took a detour.

By this point our time was running short so we opted to call last turn for the day. By the end of it, one dead Kochei and one dead Tokegawa. Several mangled but still threatening mechs remained in the fight. When we pick this game back up we should have a fun fight.

One thing that helps immensely is to use glass bead counters for tracking what mechs have moved, when you are done moving go in reverse and remove them as you shoot.

We noticed that 3025 era stuff is very viable and cheap compared to newer generation stuff. I had one mech that had case, and a Raven on the table for new tech stuff. This gave me a grand total of three lances more than what Klat could field after I added up all my mechs, granted his stuff has plenty of options, but once you crack them open, they will fall apart rather quickly. I think I will need to add about 30 or so Savannah masters to my army list. At 2 points a vehicle it should be entertaining.

Should have this done by at the latest monday. After this game is wrapped up I think we are going to go for VTOL's and Aerospace fighters next.
One score and seven years ago, our FASAs brought forth upon this world a new hobby: conceived in giant stompiness, and dedicated to the proposition that all miniatures are created equal (except in scale).
-Worktroll

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
Re: Alpha Strike Bat-Rep with Klat
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2013, 21:55:09 »
I'm still mad about that Koschei as it's death was completely my fault. Then again look at that derpy guy who's in command; such failure was unavoidable  #P

Can't wait to get back to this game.  O0
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2013, 22:32:17 »
I'm still mad about that Koschei as it's death was completely my fault. Then again look at that derpy guy who's in command; such failure was unavoidable  #P

Can't wait to get back to this game.  O0

not as bad as your marauder surviving three lances shooting at it, ow my dice karma
One score and seven years ago, our FASAs brought forth upon this world a new hobby: conceived in giant stompiness, and dedicated to the proposition that all miniatures are created equal (except in scale).
-Worktroll

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2013, 12:54:55 »
Cool. Where did you guys get those buildings? That big one is pretty cool.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2013, 14:44:13 »
Stuff I've bought over the years, the ruined buildings are from GameCraft minis
-Worktroll

Itinerant Hobbyist

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2013, 23:34:24 »
Thank you for taking the time to post this. Would you be ok if I posted 1 pic, quoted a paragraph and linked readers of my blog to here? Giving you full credit of course.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2013, 01:03:22 »
Thank you for taking the time to post this. Would you be ok if I posted 1 pic, quoted a paragraph and linked readers of my blog to here? Giving you full credit of course.

Sure post a link to your blog. Ask Klat as well just to be safe
-Worktroll

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2013, 03:27:03 »

Sure post a link to your blog. Ask Klat as well just to be safe

Fine by me  O0
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2013, 07:00:29 »
So how long did you spend on the game total?
How did it compare to a traditional game of BT?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2013, 12:32:34 »
So how long did you spend on the game total?
How did it compare to a traditional game of BT?

The two big delays came from making cards and having to lookup the rules for direct fire arty. I need to keep a copy of the critical tables nearby as well since having to flip through the book took time too. Without those delays and cigarette breaks\fending off the local feline overlord I'd say the game will take a total of two hours.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 12 August 2013, 12:47:03 »
How did the artillery rules work out?  Was it useful? 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #11 on: 12 August 2013, 12:56:39 »
How did the artillery rules work out?  Was it useful?

Besides being really hard to hit anything the scatter made for some hair-raising moments. In my hands arty is a clunky dangerous beast, with support from spotters with TAG and probes it could be devastatingly effective. The rules work but do cause delays once scatter occurs; direct fire has a great deal of difficulty hitting. I'd say I'm very happy with all the rules, including artillery thus far.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #12 on: 12 August 2013, 13:25:58 »
The two big delays came from making cards and having to lookup the rules for direct fire arty. I need to keep a copy of the critical tables nearby as well since having to flip through the book took time too. Without those delays and cigarette breaks\fending off the local feline overlord I'd say the game will take a total of two hours.
OK. Thanks!
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 12 August 2013, 15:50:46 »
I like it to be honest. We were amazed at how fast it played. Our first time playing Alpha Strike, we sat there stunned after turn one.

Numbers in this game are a big deal, cheap units are useful in this game set as while sure the Op-For will have clan tech and skill 3 pilots, you can swarm them fairly easily and just unload upon them. Try a cavalry company vs a heavy/assault company and have fun!

To be honest its nice to try to figure out how to replay this game, tactics in the regular game can work in Alpha Strike; but it still forces you to change up your thinking on the play aspect.
-Worktroll

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 12 August 2013, 15:58:21 »
and yes, we need those cards
-Worktroll

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #15 on: 12 August 2013, 16:05:59 »
I like it to be honest. We were amazed at how fast it played. Our first time playing Alpha Strike, we sat there stunned after turn one.

Numbers in this game are a big deal, cheap units are useful in this game set as while sure the Op-For will have clan tech and skill 3 pilots, you can swarm them fairly easily and just unload upon them. Try a cavalry company vs a heavy/assault company and have fun!

To be honest its nice to try to figure out how to replay this game, tactics in the regular game can work in Alpha Strike; but it still forces you to change up your thinking on the play aspect.

^ This; light fast jump capable units are scary hard to hit and can maneuver into your back arc in quick brutal fashion. I fear the day 'ducks puts a Dola on the table as can backstab very effectively. That the Dola can also ruin your ability to use C3 and call accurate arty is just scary. I'm going to field an 8S Uziel in my Lyran Regulars soon just because it's so bloody hard to hit and can go where it likes. Speed can be armor in AS.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 12 August 2013, 16:09:13 »
^ This; light fast jump capable units are scary hard to hit and can maneuver into your back arc in quick brutal fashion. I fear the day 'ducks puts a Dola on the table as can backstab very effectively. That the Dola can also ruin your ability to use C3 and call accurate arty is just scary. I'm going to field an 8S Uziel in my Lyran Regulars soon just because it's so bloody hard to hit and can go where it likes. Speed can be armor in AS.

speed is life!
-Worktroll

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #17 on: 12 August 2013, 16:55:47 »

That Uziel also blocks out C3 and can murder with 4 damage at the short and medium brackets if my conversions (and SSW) are correct on top of the 16 inch jump.  Love that guy!

I liked the Quick Strike game when it came out as I felt that, while some tactics change, you still get that battletech feel but a faster, more units on the table kind of game.  Good to see it playing out!

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2013, 03:19:45 »
Im glad Alpha Strike came out, its doing somthing good for Battletech, faster play style and the ability to quickly do big battles. Its kinda awesome seeing 40 some odd mechs on the table and not have it take a few weekends to finish
-Worktroll

Itinerant Hobbyist

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 26 August 2013, 09:28:54 »
First part posted - http://itineranthobbyist.blogspot.com/2013/08/alpha-strike-aar-with-klat-and.html?m=1

Thanks again, I hope this helps expose more people to the game.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 26 August 2013, 10:00:21 »
Sweet!
-Worktroll

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2013, 13:44:17 »
Where are you getting the Alpha Strike record sheets? Thanks!

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2013, 23:09:02 »
Sheets from the book printed off at kinkos/FedEx mechs from MUL
-Worktroll

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 26 August 2013, 23:50:23 »
Oh, has the MUL been completely updated with Alpha Strike sheets then?

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 27 August 2013, 01:03:23 »

no they have a quick and dirty conversion process using the quickstrike cards up on MUL
-Worktroll

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #25 on: 27 August 2013, 03:00:08 »

Al-most there....

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #26 on: 27 August 2013, 03:07:08 »
Al-most there....

You have no idea how happy that makes me... My girlfriend must think I've lost my mind with the giddiness I'm demonstrating.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 27 August 2013, 03:34:15 »
You have no idea how happy that makes me... My girlfriend must think I've lost my mind with the giddiness I'm demonstrating.

I know how it will be for us both  [wildandcrazy]
-Worktroll

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 27 August 2013, 10:33:52 »
 O:-)

Hey Santa Knight, I am being good and patient this week. I promise.

Can't wait for Christmas August ... or Sept.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

stevothedivo

• Corporal
    • Books of War Publishing
« Reply #29 on: 22 August 2014, 12:29:46 »
Spectacular!

Dogs lick their balls because they can. Period.
Come join in the fun at BattleTech Downunder, help grow the community and line up some games!