Author Topic: Impact crater of a gauss rifle  (Read 1009 times)

DevianID

• Captain
Impact crater of a gauss rifle
« on: 28 March 2024, 14:20:55 »
Howdy.  I saw some cool impact calculators online that could input a meteor of .155 meters radius/.31 diameter at the density of iron.  This gives a nice kg weight of 125 kg.  A nickle iron might be more dense more with a smaller radius, not sure, so I just used 125kg of iron as a known value.

I used a speed of 1750 just cause I don't know how fast gauss are supposed to go, but thats roughly mach 5 so worked for me.  And at a 10 meter wide crater already I don't want to imagine faster speeds!

Anyway, the craters were 10 meters wide!  More depending on the surface makeup.  Gauss rifles are heavy slugs indeed!

At a 90 degree angle it was 16 meters wide, at a skipping 5 degree angle it was 7 meters wide and presumably a longer trail.

Imagine what it looks like behind the target when a Thunderhawk misses!  No wonder they can deforest an area haha.

If anyone else wants to play with things, I used
https://www.eaps.purdue.edu/impactcrater/crater_c.html

Church14

• Lieutenant
Re: Impact crater of a gauss rifle
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2024, 15:29:32 »
Your speed is off by orders of magnitude. You can probably just use iron for a density as I think gauss shots are supposed to have a ferrous core. At the speed we are talking about, whatever you wrap it in won’t make that much of a difference.

Gauss rifle is something like 1700 m/s. That site does things in km/s because that how you measure velocities in space (or cm/s for some fields). So the Impact crater is much, much smaller.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2024, 18:19:56 »
Gauss rifles are a lot faster than 1700m/s. They have a "long" (20-hex) range in aerospace combat. At 20 x 18-kilometer hexes and 60-second turns, Gauss rifles MUST fire slugs at 6,000m/s, minimum.

However, even a sluggish Aegis WarShip or Behemoth DropShip (both 2/3 thrust) can dodge by 10s of kilometers in 60 seconds. To match the rules' to-hit percentages, Gauss rifles likely have much shorter flight times, perhaps 10-15 seconds. That calls for 24,000m/s to 30,000m/s, minimum.

While aerodynamic drag would slow Gauss rifle projectiles in ground combat at longer ranges, it won't significantly impact muzzle velocity.

The same thinking applies to autocannons, which explains why autocannons are not Tech Rating B. They're much more advanced, hypervelocity weapons than anything that came out of 20th century armories.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2024, 18:22:09 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2024, 19:48:14 »
Not quite apples to apples, but the U.S. Navy's railgun fired projectiles at roughly 7400 kph, which is about 2 km/sec (2000 m/s).

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2024, 02:18:18 »
church for the actual site, 1750 m/s was input as 1.75 km/s, so the 10ish meter crater should be good in that way.  I imagine 1750 km/s would punch a hole in the planet, that indeed would be nutty.

Cray, while you are not wrong with 18 km hexes at 60 seconds for 6 km/s, the same ship accelerating at 1g in 1 turn/minute moves 18km 'IRL', but in battlespace they instead move by 36km/2 hexes.  So the space hex math from the gate is wrong--acceleration and hex sizes do not agree.  So I cant take the hex sizes for space at face value for weapons fire--they cant be 18km if 1 G moves a ship 1 hex in 1 minute.  Plus there is other issues with the 1 minute turn scale, like where does the other 5 shots a gauss rifle gets in 60 seconds go?  Its all so undefined.

So Gauss in space would still be faster, but the minimum would be 3000m/s using the acceleration to distance hex scale, instead of 6000.  Still faster then 1750, but unable to be easily defined using the space hexes that dont add up.

Gladius, the navy railgun is quite fast!  Using 2 km/s would only increase the crater size!  Those gauss rifles sure do make a mark!  The navy railgun melts itself firing though right?  So its possible the 125kg watermelon is also partially melted, reducing the impact mass.  I have heard at that speed everything acts like a liquid instead of a solid.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2024, 08:12:05 »
Plus there is other issues with the 1 minute turn scale, like where does the other 5 shots a gauss rifle gets in 60 seconds go?  Its all so undefined.

So Gauss in space would still be faster, but the minimum would be 3000m/s using the acceleration to distance hex scale, instead of 6000.  Still faster then 1750, but unable to be easily defined using the space hexes that dont add up.
You can also reverse the thinking, in that the in atmosphere shots are lower-powered in order to deal with having an atmosphere in the barrel, and with lower powered shots you can easily fire more often.

Gladius, the navy railgun is quite fast!  Using 2 km/s would only increase the crater size!  Those gauss rifles sure do make a mark!  The navy railgun melts itself firing though right?  So its possible the 125kg watermelon is also partially melted, reducing the impact mass.  I have heard at that speed everything acts like a liquid instead of a solid.
Railguns use a different way to accelerate their projectile, so gauss rifles will not have that melting issue.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2024, 08:25:35 »
At a certain point compression heating will still melt the slug in an atmosphere, but I don’t know how fast it needs to be going for that to be true.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2024, 09:10:24 »
Its all so undefined.

It's not undefined. "Each hex on a space map represents roughly eighteen kilometers." --Total Warfare, p. 76. The same paragraph sets a space turn as 60 seconds. They're not linked to thrust points and acceleration, and haven't for 15 years.

Them's the rules, and sets a minimum for muzzle velocity.

At a certain point compression heating will still melt the slug in an atmosphere, but I don’t know how fast it needs to be going for that to be true.

The fantastic, ridiculous Sprint missile (0 to mach 10 in 5 seconds) used an ablative nose cone. Nose temperature in the lower atmosphere was higher than its rocket engine's operating temperatures and exceeded the surface temperatures of some stars.

A thin layer of ablative material wouldn't affect the impact behavior of an autocannon shell or Gauss rifle.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2024, 21:03:53 »
It's not undefined. "Each hex on a space map represents roughly eighteen kilometers." --Total Warfare, p. 76. The same paragraph sets a space turn as 60 seconds. They're not linked to thrust points and acceleration, and haven't for 15 years.

Them's the rules, and sets a minimum for muzzle velocity.

Longer. AT2 was published in 2000, which TW Aero Rules were copy/pasted from. And that's the stats and rules for that book, as well.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2024, 21:07:57 »
But!  This brings up an interesting point.  The old Tactical Handbook had a rule for cratering a BT ground hex (digging it out so that it dropped a full 6 meters) at 40 points of damage.  I'm wondering if the higher velocity minimum would reach that scale of earth moving.  Because, if so, then we're looking at 15 to 20 points of damage instead.  Then I wonder why the AC/5 was left off the valid weapons to clear woods hexes with in the old BT 2nd ed rules. 

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

General308

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2024, 10:15:58 »
Anyone have TRO2750 handy I might be wrong but doesn't the original 2750 TRO strangle say how fast it shoots?   My old brain could be wrong and I am working so I can't go grab the book and look

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2024, 11:09:27 »
No, unfortunately. It only says it can 'accelerate a projectile to muzzle velocities twice that of conventional weapon systems'. (TRO: 2750, p. 7)
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2024, 12:29:48 »
I also want to say there was some reference that the star league, gauss rifles (10 rounds/ton) were a du/tungsten core, surrounded by ballistic plastics, and with iron driving bands

I always took Natasha's description to Phaelan of it being roughly the size of a melon as being overly simplified as the ballistic properties of cannon balls suck

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2024, 14:30:04 »
All of this tells me that the old idea of using a Gauss rifle to deliver Elementals to a battlefield is a very bad idea.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

CitizenErased

• Master Sergeant
  • Eldritch Galactic Princess
    • Dykes Dig Giant Robots
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2024, 14:41:48 »
All of this tells me that the old idea of using a Gauss rifle to deliver Elementals to a battlefield is a very bad idea.

This just feels like a corollary to Maxim 11: Everything is air-droppable at least once. :evil:
Your friendly neighborhood transgender giant robot enthusiast!

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 01 April 2024, 15:29:45 »

It’s fast…

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer